Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:23:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Age of Conan  |  Topic: Let's be MORE Useful! Things you don't like! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Let's be MORE Useful! Things you don't like!  (Read 125353 times)
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #455 on: June 26, 2008, 06:44:16 AM

Your damage may suck, but we were able to take on some pretty tough odds....well, till that fuckin' HoX showed up and like instagibbed me.

If I roll another guy, it will be a HoX. Their burst DPS is sexy, and the stun is nasty.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #456 on: June 26, 2008, 12:47:11 PM

All in all, a fucking trashy experience.  Revamped my asshole.

I've enjoyed doing tortage like six times, though.  After that it rapidly goes to shit.  Like, serious, serious shit.
I've been through several times without problem.  I don't know why you couldn't see the statues, but when you can it's a really cool encounter.

(My only issues with it are being locked in once it starts, or if some idiot runs to the end before everyone has entered the hallway.)

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
cevik
I'm Special

I've always wondered about the All Black People Eat Watermelons

Reply #457 on: June 26, 2008, 01:05:58 PM

I've been through several times without problem.  I don't know why you couldn't see the statues, but when you can it's a really cool encounter.

Yeah, I liked the encounter, thought it was a rare bit of uniqueness.

The above space is available for purchase.  Send a Private Message for a complete price list and payment information.  Thank you for your business.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #458 on: June 26, 2008, 01:17:53 PM

Necro Drains are stupid broken right now. Like horrible PVP breaking broken. Anyone with a necro should go out farming PVP kills, cause right now there is 0 chance of pretty much anyone being able to fight back.
photek
Terracotta Army

Reply #459 on: June 26, 2008, 07:01:20 PM

Necro Drains are stupid broken right now. Like horrible PVP breaking broken. Anyone with a necro should go out farming PVP kills, cause right now there is 0 chance of pretty much anyone being able to fight back.

Elaborate please. Is it a broken mechanic or just buffed like hell ?

"I recently went to a new doctor and noticed he was located in something called the Professional Building. I felt better right away"
Abelian75
Terracotta Army

Reply #460 on: June 26, 2008, 07:19:00 PM

(My only issues with it are being locked in once it starts, or if some idiot runs to the end before everyone has entered the hallway.)

Interesting.  It would appear that several of the bugs/unfinished content I've been experiencing may just be happening to me.  A whole shitload of mobs are nameless for me (crocodiles in the oasis in khosphef, and pretty much every quest NPC they've added since launch), but today I confirmed that, for the crocodiles at least, other people are seeing them with names (mutated crocodile or something).  Presumably I was having problems in the treasury because it too is new content, and something is borked for me.  I am reinstalling.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #461 on: June 26, 2008, 11:10:38 PM

Or just verify/repair from the settings menu n the patcher. That does wonders.

cevik
I'm Special

Reply #462 on: June 27, 2008, 05:18:09 AM

I'd probably also go to the AoC directory and delete:

shader.cache
shader.cache.local
shaders_cache.bin

And let them rebuild, just to be on the safe side.

The above space is available for purchase.  Send a Private Message for a complete price list and payment information.  Thank you for your business.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #463 on: June 27, 2008, 06:28:54 AM

So I went to the treasury of the ancients, having read in one of the patch notes that it had been newly revamped and all.  I walked in and walked through a long, empty hallway.  When I reached the end of the hallway, right before it opened up into a big room, I hit an invisible wall and and got an on-screen message that said "start camera shake woot."  There was no camera shake.  Awesome so far. 

I walk back to the entrance, intending to leave, where I encounter another invisible wall blocking my way out.  "Fuck," I think.  Then, as I am attempting to log out, I get attacked by invisible primitive statues that i can only spot because of the big circular target symbol appearing on the floor when I auto-target them after being attacked.  I start killing these as they randomly float toward me, looting statue heads.  I keep trying to pass through the invisible wall and, after killing enough invisible statues, eventually succeed. 

I enter the big, ominous circular room, and am greeted with another "start camera shake woot" on-screen message (again, no camera shake).  I am able to target an invisible "queen" statue in the center of the room, and after whacking away at her for a bit, she starts spawning a couple minions (which, miraculously, I can actually see).  I kill her without further incident, and loot the exciting jeweled treasure chest she drops.  It contains a random green, her head, and an invisible box with the tooltip "no name."

All in all, a fucking trashy experience.  Revamped my asshole.

I've enjoyed doing tortage like six times, though.  After that it rapidly goes to shit.  Like, serious, serious shit.

Yeah, somthing is busted on your end/client. I did that one the day after the revamp, and its really, really cool encounter. Spooky even, the first time.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Abelian75
Terracotta Army

Reply #464 on: June 28, 2008, 09:39:34 AM

Interesting.  It would appear that several of the bugs/unfinished content I've been experiencing may just be happening to me.  A whole shitload of mobs are nameless for me (crocodiles in the oasis in khosphef, and pretty much every quest NPC they've added since launch), but today I confirmed that, for the crocodiles at least, other people are seeing them with names (mutated crocodile or something).  Presumably I was having problems in the treasury because it too is new content, and something is borked for me.  I am reinstalling.

So, I reinstalled the game, and all the problems were still there (and yeah, I'd tried verifying my RDB as well, and while I had thousands of errors fixed, everything was still busted in-game).  Also, there was no sound.  I was like, "Fuck."

Then I disabled UAC (yeah, I'm running vista) and verified the RDB again, and now it works fine.  So I guess that was fucking things up.

It's amazing how much shit I was missing.  Tons of audio effects were missing (like their version of the 'ding' that I'd thought was just very faint but in fact was not there at all), as well as assorted particle effects.  My experience just got substantially less shitty.
Nerf
Terracotta Army

The Presence of Your Vehicle Has Been Documented

Reply #465 on: June 28, 2008, 02:31:19 PM

If I don't go into the creative audio panel and reset it from 7-channel to headphones every time I reboot I can't hear half the shit that happens on AoC, although this isn't an AoC problem, it's still a pain in the ass.
cevik
I'm Special

Reply #466 on: June 30, 2008, 07:09:09 AM

If I don't go into the creative audio panel and reset it from 7-channel to headphones every time I reboot I can't hear half the shit that happens on AoC, although this isn't an AoC problem, it's still a pain in the ass.

With my wive's ATI card, if she runs the game twice in a row without rebooting in between, she goes from 30-40 fps on average to about 7-8 fps.  It doesn't happen on my machine, which has an 8800 gt.  No idea if it's the card or whatever, but it's annoying! :)

Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #467 on: June 30, 2008, 02:04:49 PM

On Thursday evening, I went in to the Cannibal cave in Eig. Mountains, and was getting 6 to 7 FPS. I normally run the game between 17 and 30. One of the guys in my guild told me to turn my shader down to 2.0. Wow. I shot up to 90 FPS instantly. The game doesn't look as shiny at all, but damn that was a big performance increase.
Rake
Terracotta Army

Reply #468 on: July 18, 2008, 12:24:53 AM

I picked up the game late, so I'm still enjoying the newness so far. Some minor things seem to be bugging more than anything so far:

Biggest gripe is the rezzing with almost zero health stamina mana and having to hit the rest button while I wait out the immune timer then rebuff. I want to get back into action, not stand around pointlessly. Plus if I use my self rez I have to still sit out the invul-timer because I am silenced for this time, so I get to watch my team die while they are wondering where the heals are. If someone's tempted to say "Don't die Nub!" I'd just like to point out that every MMO I've played is not made with the player having a hope of surviving, unlike Diablo 2 where you could pretty much get to max level playing Hardcore Mode with only yourself or a shitty internet connection to blame for any untimely deaths. MMO's have death as a given, but does it need to be so dull.

I also think this rezzing with no health is what allows the portal gankers to do their thing.

Not into the running around from quest area to quest area and the getting choked up with loot, but these seem to be standard MMO bullshit.

Most of the other stuff seems to be getting addressed with the patch notes for today; Firends list lumped together with the Guild list, Emotes not friendly to exact (RP server).

There's a few more things, but nothing so bad so far. I'm just at the level where I can begin crafting so I might have more complaints soon, but I'll not whine about stuff I've yet to see.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 12:27:07 AM by Rake »
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #469 on: July 18, 2008, 03:34:37 AM

I don't know if it will help or if you're already doing it but one of the things I completely ignored before level 60 were potions.  They are cheap as dirt, restore lots of health/stam/mana and last a full minute.  I can't overemphasize how important it is to have dozens of potions on you.  Just keep chugging the stam ones while sprinting too.  Same goes for food and drink, I imagine on a PvP server the alchemist ones that persist through death and last much longer would be quite important.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #470 on: July 18, 2008, 06:06:00 AM

I don't know if it will help or if you're already doing it but one of the things I completely ignored before level 60 were potions.  They are cheap as dirt, restore lots of health/stam/mana and last a full minute.  I can't overemphasize how important it is to have dozens of potions on you.  Just keep chugging the stam ones while sprinting too.  Same goes for food and drink, I imagine on a PvP server the alchemist ones that persist through death and last much longer would be quite important.

Pvp death doesnt even remove your buffs.

I am the .00000001428%
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #471 on: July 22, 2008, 05:18:30 PM

I don't like that my free buddy key costs my buddy three bucks...

We have now opened the first part of the Buddy key program for Age of Conan! Everybody who has purchased a Collector's Edition can now invite up to five friends, who can try the game for seven days without purchasing a retail box.

The invitation process is easy. You need to log-in to your account pages (https://register.ageofconan.com), and choose “Buddy program”. Follow the on-screen instructions, and then write a personal message to your friends if you so desire.

We recommend that you lend your install DVDs to your buddy to get him or her ready to play as fast as possible. Alternatively your buddy will be offered a $2,99/€2,99 client download with 3 additional days of playtime to cover the download time.

While this offer is only for Collector’s Edition accounts for now, we will soon open up for the Buddy key found in the standard retail box as well.

I also don't like that I had to in-line that quote since funcom hides the official announcements from the public for some God forsaken reason.
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #472 on: July 22, 2008, 06:01:58 PM

So no ten day free trial, eh? THREE DAYS to cover the download time?

if at last you do succeed, never try again
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #473 on: July 23, 2008, 07:21:55 AM

A $3 trial? WTF, mate? Unless you are putting the DVD's in stores for $3, that's a stupid stupid way to not get customers.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #474 on: July 23, 2008, 07:26:03 AM

IT's not a trial, its the fee for downloading the 20+ gig client at high speeds, as opposed to borrowing someones disks. Its an option, not a must.

Good lord people will bitch about anything. You would pay about the same if they put it on Fileplanet premium servers. The 3days is not how long it takes, but rather a buffer for those that always have issues for whatever reason downloading large files, this way it doesn't eat into the buddy pass time.

I expect the free trail to come rather soon, but only contain tortage (Trial of the isle style), also, a smaller download, thus free.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 07:31:27 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #475 on: July 23, 2008, 10:11:16 AM

The free tutorial should start with a lesson on adjusting visual settings to obtain the best framerates.  It was bad in beta, but the stories I'm getting from friends playing live remind me that without a fairly new machine, it's tough to enjoy the visuals without some suffering. 
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 10:24:43 AM by Nebu »

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #476 on: July 23, 2008, 10:21:07 AM

Mrbloodworth,

you seriously think it's a good idea to give players the option of paying for the client in a free trial?

I think this is beyond stupid. Maybe they know something I don't, but looks to me like a masterfully crafted shot in the foot.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #477 on: July 23, 2008, 11:19:40 AM

Mrbloodworth,

you seriously think it's a good idea to give players the option of paying for the client in a free trial?

I think this is beyond stupid. Maybe they know something I don't, but looks to me like a masterfully crafted shot in the foot.

Maybe a shot in the foot, i just don't think its beyond expectations considering the size of the client. The size of the client means it would eather be a small fee, or on something like Fileplanet, where ever it goes, there would be a fee.

Like i said, when they do make a free trail, i expect it to only include Tortage, and be a trial of the isle like trial. And the smaller size would mean no fee. This, is the full client with a buddy key, all content and only a time frame. Scope is key here.

AOC is one of the largest MMO clients i can think off, larger than even vanguard. Everyone else now uses small download and partial downloads for trials, but this isn't really a trial.

Its also only 3$. I don't think its unreasonable.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 11:22:17 AM by Mrbloodworth »

cevik
I'm Special

Reply #478 on: July 23, 2008, 11:20:25 AM

Mrbloodworth,

There is a word to describe this strategery:  Boneheaded.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #479 on: July 23, 2008, 11:39:02 AM

Its also only 3$. I don't think its unreasonable.

In pure market terms, it's called BARRIER TO ENTRY. As in, the more you put on a product, the less likely you are going to get people to purchase the product. I understand the logistics. I don't understand the business thought behind it. It's like they don't want people to use it.

Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #480 on: July 23, 2008, 12:56:33 PM

Yeah, I thought the whole point behind the buddy key was to get more people in the game, to earn subscribers. Its almost like they know the buddy people wont stay. ALMOST.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #481 on: July 23, 2008, 01:26:25 PM

Yeah, I thought the whole point behind the buddy key was to get more people in the game, to earn subscribers. Its almost like they know the buddy people wont stay. ALMOST.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

I had no idea that the buddy key I got when I bought the game still won't work. I mean...why even waste money printing them?

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #482 on: July 23, 2008, 03:39:26 PM

I had no idea that the buddy key I got when I bought the game still won't work. I mean...why even waste money printing them?

Oh hey, I got it... THAT's the 3$ they are trying to get back!

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #483 on: July 24, 2008, 09:38:23 AM

So, let me see if I understand this.  Is the $3 they are charging for this download akin to Funcom saying "hey, we can't afford a pipeline for you to download our software for free" ?

That's how it comes off to me. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #484 on: July 24, 2008, 09:52:13 AM

So, let me see if I understand this.  Is the $3 they are charging for this download akin to Funcom saying "hey, we can't afford a pipeline for you to download our software for free" ?

That's how it comes off to me. 

Its most likely eather you pay them for the bandwidth, or Fileplanet. Whats the difference?

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #485 on: July 24, 2008, 09:56:36 AM

Its most likely eather you pay them for the bandwidth, or Fileplanet. Whats the difference?

Option 3: They (or the publisher) provide the bandwidth and consider it an advertising cost.  Seems this is the best way to attract potential customers. 

Imagine the person giving free samples at the grocery store says "Want a sample of this new pizza?  It's only $3".  Do they even give samples out at grocery stores anymore?

-  Mark Twain
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #486 on: July 24, 2008, 10:01:46 AM

Option 3: They (or the publisher) provide the bandwidth and consider it an advertising cost.  Seems this is the best way to attract potential customers. 

Imagine the person giving free samples at the grocery store says "Want a sample of this new pizza?  It's only $3".  Do they even give samples out at grocery stores anymore?

You example is like what i said before. The slice is a piece of the whole. The buddy key is the whole, not a slice (trial). 

Like other games with free trials, they will most likely not give out the entire client. It will be akin to the Island trial of EQ2, or the partial download of Wow, you know only totage. Its not a sample, its the while pizza with no restrictions but time!  Then after subscribing and buying the game, you get the whole pie (no fee, you paid for the client, if you used a buddy key, you already have it, a real trial would require more downloads)).

We are talking 1-2 gigs, VS 24+.

In a perfect world, sure host the whole thing and be done with it. But is it really that unreasonable to charge 3$ for a huge full client download at high speeds?

REALLY?

No one i have given my buddy keys to have complained.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 10:04:15 AM by Mrbloodworth »

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #487 on: July 24, 2008, 10:03:16 AM

In a perfect world, sure host the whole thing and be done with it. But is it really that unreasonable to charge 3$ for a huge full client download at high speeds?

REALLY?

Yes. Srsly.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #488 on: July 24, 2008, 10:04:26 AM

REALLY?

Yes. Srsly.

Well, ok then.
Torrent it.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #489 on: July 24, 2008, 10:07:33 AM

I wasn't commenting on how unreasonable it was... rather how helpful from an advertising or word-of-mouth sense.  My guess is that charging $3 to download a game that you're trying to sell will have the effect of turning potential customers off at a rate exceeding the revenue gained by the $3 charged.   I think that they're settling for drips when they could be gaining more with a small up front investment.  Hell, maybe I'm wrong.   

-  Mark Twain
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Age of Conan  |  Topic: Let's be MORE Useful! Things you don't like!  
Jump to: