Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:46:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Age of Conan  |  Topic: AoC Crafting and City Building Video 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: AoC Crafting and City Building Video  (Read 30664 times)
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

on: May 09, 2008, 11:51:42 AM

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 11:58:18 AM

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: May 10, 2008, 06:53:33 AM

Looks good.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
TripleDES
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: May 11, 2008, 03:08:51 PM

You know that the MMO business is in a shit shape if of all people Funcom releases something looking cooler than what the rest is churning out.

EVE (inactive): Deakin Frost -- APB (fukken dead): Kayleigh (on Patriot).
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 09:12:12 AM

Interesting. Sounds like cities "opt in" to PvP by building a battlekeep? That might go a ways towards drawing in those who wanted to build cities in SB, but didn't want to deal with losing them.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 10:42:33 AM

Interesting. Sounds like cities "opt in" to PvP by building a battlekeep? That might go a ways towards drawing in those who wanted to build cities in SB, but didn't want to deal with losing them.

Negative. you have to build a keep first. From what i understand. there are only like 6 spots for this to happen in. Don't confuse the Towns, with the battle keeps, there more more towns from what i understand.

So it goes. guild (gets 25+ members) > Makes town in resource area (PvP) > Claims a battle keep, and makes a city (massive PvP).

I could be horribly wrong.

More reading on the Subject.

One's victory is another's defeat, and so the wheel of time continues to spin violently for the guilds braving the frontiers of the Border Kingdom. And if your guild fails to capture a battlekeep, there are always the smaller forts to be captured – or even the ever valuable resource nodes!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 10:49:28 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008, 02:19:24 AM

I will play this if we could actually get at least 25 people together -- and you let me build things. Ohhhhh, I see.

I'd like to be able to judge the game for everything it has to offer, and not end up having judgements based on solo play.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #7 on: May 13, 2008, 05:32:17 AM

There's probably not enough of us.  And those of us there is have a distinct lack of stick-with-it-ness sometimes.  I don't think we're going to be able to have only f13 members for this one.  Several people from here have offered their guilds, which would probably be more practical.  I'd like a guild that will get to sieging and city building.  If I can't do that, I don't really care if I have a guild or not.

waylander
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: May 13, 2008, 05:50:51 AM

You have to have a Tier 3 city to be able to claim a PVP battle keep. The estimates I've seen for getting to T3 are anywhere from 1-2 months depending on how hardcore your group is.

Lords of the Dead
Gaming Press - Retired
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #9 on: May 13, 2008, 06:01:15 AM

How is it going to work with these unattackable player cities?   Is it instatized so everyone gets one?  Or is it first come first serve like the housing debacle in UO?

"Me am play gods"
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: May 13, 2008, 06:14:44 AM

How is it going to work with these unattackable player cities?   Is it instatized so everyone gets one?  Or is it first come first serve like the housing debacle in UO?

I don't know that any city is unattackable, from what i read, when your guild gets to this level, the first building you make is a battlekeep. I do know that the larger-end Keeps will be few in number on each server. But there are also resource nodes to capture (like smaller territory's and towns), and anyone can participate in the "massive" battles using the mercenary system.

The whole end game is somewhat like an RTS, your guild has to take territory, hold it, and then build a keep, while other guilds try to take your terrtory ,
(such as resource areas that you need to sustain your keeps) and kill your battle keeps.

Honestly, people talk about PvP with meaning, this sounds like it to me.

WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #11 on: May 13, 2008, 06:18:48 AM

This all sounds overcomplicated and shitty.

Can I even have a house if it's not part of some pseudo-Shadowbane guild grind?  If not, forget this game.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #12 on: May 13, 2008, 06:19:56 AM

The PvE city zone is instanced, I've heard some say that you might be sharing that instance with two other cities though.  But anyone who wants to build a PvE city can so long as you have enough resources.  The PvE city can not be attacked (by players) on PvE servers.

More info.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: May 13, 2008, 06:20:25 AM

Edit: Miasma's post and link are much better, and have corrected me in my thinking on how the system works. Thanks man.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 06:27:48 AM by Mrbloodworth »

schild
Administrator

Reply #14 on: May 13, 2008, 11:03:36 AM

I fully plan on starting Bat Country. I do not give 2 shits if we have a small hamlet village or a battlekeep though. YMMV, if you want to play with the catasses, I won't stop you, catass.
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: May 13, 2008, 11:07:50 AM

PVPee server?  Or PVE?
schild
Administrator

Reply #16 on: May 13, 2008, 11:12:29 AM

I don't REALLY want to be on a PVP server, but you know what, I'd be up for whatever.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #17 on: May 13, 2008, 11:14:54 AM

I don't want a PvP server either, and I'll always join a Bat Country guild for however long it lasts.  I might go PvP server after I play the game for a time, dunno.  Depends on how they handle it all.  As long as I get a chance at a siege somewhere along the way.  I'm sure even if we aren't huge, we'll be able to build some stuff.

SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: May 13, 2008, 11:18:20 AM

I really don't care either, to be honest.  The PvE servers still have PvP to them, so that suits me just fine.

My pre-order should have finished downloading this morning, so I'll be good to go on the 14th 17th.
schild
Administrator

Reply #19 on: May 13, 2008, 11:19:40 AM

If the PvE servers have PVP, we'll do that.
schild
Administrator

Reply #20 on: May 13, 2008, 11:36:44 AM

I just got a preorder key from Gamestop and it doesn't work.

Am I doing it wrong?

Age Of Conan
Service    Points cost
Age of Conan Preview
Service    Points cost
Age of Conan Open Beta
Service    Points cost

That's in my Subscriptions area. Did I already enter a code and am retarded?
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: May 13, 2008, 11:46:00 AM

I preordered from Amazon and didn't get jack crap (no key, no nothing).

Tried again from GoGamer (I hate gamestop) but haven't gotten anything yet ..

- Viin
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: May 13, 2008, 11:48:03 AM

@ Schild:  They should have sent you a key you would enter in your Funcom registration page.  There was also an option you could buy for 5 bucks to start downloading before the 14th.  If you didn't purchase that option, then you have to wait until the 14th to start downloading, then play on the 17th.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #23 on: May 13, 2008, 11:51:39 AM

Did you go here, Schildy?  https://register.ageofconan.com/account

From Amazon, I think you have to go to your "media library" or some such nonsense.

Also - I posted a link to start downloading regardless of whether you have your key or not yet.  It's around here somewhere.

Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #24 on: May 13, 2008, 11:54:12 AM

Yeah it's a pretty clunky site, I think you have to go to signe's address for this particular key, entering it in the "enter a key here" slot at the normal funcom.com site doesn't work.  IIRC.

I don't have the words "Points cost" anywhere on my account page though.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #25 on: May 13, 2008, 11:56:49 AM

I know the points place he ended up and it's not the right place.  Funcom really needs to sort out their account pages.  I don't even know how many accounts I have there now and they're all in different places.  AoC, AoC beta, AO, blah, blah, blah, so on and so forth, ad nauseum....

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: May 13, 2008, 11:59:33 AM

If the PvE servers have PVP, we'll do that.

Yeah, they do, in fact check this out. lol. Friendly fire.

Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: May 13, 2008, 12:31:17 PM

From Amazon, I think you have to go to your "media library" or some such nonsense.

Thanks, I found it. Talk about buried. And no where does it tell you to find this one link on your home page all the way at the bottom to find your code. :P

- Viin
schild
Administrator

Reply #28 on: May 13, 2008, 12:48:05 PM

Logging into Age of Conan is too fucking complicated. It is to a Konami PlayID as Civilization is to Tic Tac Toe.
schild
Administrator

Reply #29 on: May 13, 2008, 12:56:59 PM

Someone c&p what it says on their account pages so I can see whta the fuck it's SUPPOSED to say. Because I'm a gimp.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #30 on: May 13, 2008, 01:07:10 PM

I simply never got my email telling me to download the client either, I had to use that public link.  I also tried to get a password reset because I had it written down at home but wanted to access it at work, none of those emails ever got to my hotmail account either.  It went to my yahoo account fine once I logged in at home.  Instead of assigning me a temporary password and having me change it you know what they did?  They emailed me my password unencrypted.  I don't like that for two reasons, one is that my password was bounced all around the internet until it got to my email box, and two it means they don't encrypt the password on their end in their databases.  They shouldn't be able to tell me what my password is, it should have gone through a one way hash.

At least their account management page is an actual ssl site though, unlike when AO launched and we had to enter our CC info without a condom...

Someone c&p what it says on their account pages so I can see whta the fuck it's SUPPOSED to say. Because I'm a gimp.

You might only get that if you pay the five bucks for early access though, I'm not sure.
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: May 13, 2008, 01:25:42 PM

What mechanisms are stopping 1 guild from taking all the cities locations AND all the Battle towers AND all the resource nodes?  Aka, what happened on Shadowbane and the Eve China server?

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #32 on: May 13, 2008, 01:28:39 PM

What mechanisms are stopping 1 guild from taking all the cities locations AND all the Battle towers AND all the resource nodes?  Aka, what happened on Shadowbane and the Eve China server?
Nothing I think, and judging by the size of some of the recruitment threads that will absolutely happen.  Although the resource zones aren't PvP, except on the FFA server.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: May 13, 2008, 01:36:06 PM

I didnt see anything saying you could have more than one battlekeep.  The guild cities are instanced, so running out of territory is not an issue, also there was nothing that mentioned having more than one.

I am the .00000001428%
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: May 13, 2008, 01:43:35 PM

Ok I'm in on this.  I think the release will be a trainwreck, but at least FunCom is adding some features not seen in an MMO since UO/SB.  Gotta give 'em props for ambition.  Alchemy sounds cool but so do Rangers, wonder if thats a possible combo.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Age of Conan  |  Topic: AoC Crafting and City Building Video  
Jump to: