Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:58:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Burning Region  |  Topic: Taking a break 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Taking a break  (Read 55569 times)
Xerapis
Contributor

Reply #35 on: March 25, 2008, 12:27:25 AM

Couldn't we, like, merge guilds, or something?

..I want to see gamma rays. I want to hear x-rays. I want to...smell dark matter...and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me...
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #36 on: March 25, 2008, 06:13:50 AM

With Corp?  You mean like we merged after WTO?  Yeah.  That would be fun to watch.   awesome, for real

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Xerapis
Contributor

Reply #37 on: March 25, 2008, 01:57:01 PM

Well, it might at least increase the number of people online to chat with or group with that aren't complete Dashtards. 

..I want to see gamma rays. I want to hear x-rays. I want to...smell dark matter...and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me...
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: March 28, 2008, 11:39:31 AM

<----- In the corp guild.  except its not a corp guild.  It's a IRC channel guild

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
Xerapis
Contributor

Reply #39 on: March 30, 2008, 02:08:22 PM

Well, I was getting annoyed with my Tauren.  Too big, can't ride everything.

So I rerolled an adorable little Blood Elf named "Kekela".  I'm sure I'll run into one of y'all eventually.

Xerapis
Contributor

Reply #40 on: April 02, 2008, 02:01:20 PM

Oh, I now totally take back what I said about how we should merge guilds or whatnot.

Before anyone else thinks of jumping in bed with The Old Cabal, you should know that

DARK VENGEANCE SAYS:

Please be aware that all of the current members are longtime community members from Corpnews and/or #hate. If you contact someone in-game, please be sure to mention your Corpnews forum nickname. All characters on the in-game roster are labelled based on Corp nickname, because many of us have alts.

I also want to mention up-front that unless we know you pretty well, you will probably be inducted as an Initiate, with little to no guild bank access at first. This is not personal. Many of us have known and/or gamed with each other for years, so it may take time to work yourself completely into the fold.

Made me feel like a total ass or some kind of impudent dick for just posting on the forums that I was going to look them up and would like to join.  I felt like I wandered into FOH or EJ for a minute.  It was kinda funny, considering he had just pimped the guild to the community at large.  No mention of probie bitch status then.

Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: April 02, 2008, 04:11:03 PM

Made me feel like a total ass or some kind of impudent dick for just posting on the forums that I was going to look them up and would like to join.  I felt like I wandered into FOH or EJ for a minute.  It was kinda funny, considering he had just pimped the guild to the community at large.  No mention of probie bitch status then.
It's DV.  He does that from time to time.  I don't take it personally, I just don't give a damn honestly.  I just want to not be the only one online at any given time =P

If he gives you any shit in-game, just /gquit.  This isn't the 4th grade where we have to prove how tr00 and tuff we are to play with the cool kids.
Xerapis
Contributor

Reply #42 on: April 02, 2008, 04:56:00 PM

Yeah, I know about him.  I've seen enough of his posts on Corp and even on here back in the day.  Just because my post count isn't in the sky and my join date isn't the day the forums opened doesn't mean I wasn't around.  smiley

Clearly he doesn't remember me, but that's fine.

I won't have to /gquit, because I didn't even bother asking to join in-game.  I'd rather be solo than guilded with people who have that kind of attitude.  As I said over there, the reason to join would be so it's NOT like starting with a brand new guild where no one knows you and you have to be the probie bitch until you prove yourself "worthy". 

Like I told him, if you're going to have that kind of exclusionary attitude, you should state it up front.  I mean, we started a guild here, anyone could post and join, and nobody was told they aren't good enough or have to prove themselves.  DV said it was open to the community, be anything you want, but then when I posted he goes all "long-standing members" on me.  Fuck that.

Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: April 02, 2008, 05:27:51 PM

I tried to join late last night, since based on DV's initial post it seemed as if anyone was welcome, lurkers or otherwise.  I was told there was no one that could vouch for me, as far as knowing who I was, and that I should try again during regular hours since there were more people around then. 

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: April 02, 2008, 08:11:17 PM

I was told there was no one that could vouch for me, as far as knowing who I was, and that I should try again during regular hours since there were more people around then.
Gotta have a voucher to join?  What the hell man?  So much for "anyone can join" and whatnot.  Ah well, gives me time to get my mage to 70.
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: April 03, 2008, 05:04:02 AM

I think there is a misconception here of how we run things in The Old Cabal.  We already have had some misunderstandings of the guild bank as one person thought that the entire gold balance on the bank their daily withdrawal limit so restrictions are needed.  We also get a fair amount of people constantly asking to join, and we wtih a few thousand gold worth of items in our guild bank we don't want to get ripped off

Guild Ranks: Personally don't know why people care about Guild ranks. I don't even know what mine is.   Mode basicly runs things because he's the only one willing to do the dirty work like rustle up puggies when we are short a DPS or a healer for a raid, make sure we have enough POTS, Eliiers, etc for raiding.  He also makes sure people don't do dumb shit for Kara, like show up as a priest in DISC spec to heal (although I keep asking)

We don't run things like folks do on F13. The Old Cabal is not an extension of a message board in game with a chat channel.  It's not a hardcore guild either.  I view it as a bunch of people who have known each other on the internet (some for a few years) that don't want to have a good thing ruined. 

We have folks like ARRG and Delusion who are perennial lowbies who just want to level up slowly with people they know on guild chat to help them out occasionally when they are getting corpse camped.  We also have raiders (like myself) who take it more seriously. No one is going to tell you what to do if you don't want them to, but you can't expect to raid without being able to work as a team.

apolgies for the rambling.  I need more coffee.

link to my toon.  http://armory.worldofwarcraft.com/character-sheet.xml?r=The+Venture+Co&n=Jonpaul

Edit: I have no idea who Xerapis is either

« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 05:17:59 AM by slog »

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: April 03, 2008, 07:11:44 AM

I transfered my shaman to another server so that I had people to chat with.  I thought about asking the Corp folks to join, but I really wasn't having that much fun on the pvp server. 

Funny thing: Now that I moved my toon, I don't even play it anymore.  I've been leveling a warrior. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #47 on: April 04, 2008, 05:07:32 PM

Oh, I now totally take back what I said about how we should merge guilds or whatnot.

Before anyone else thinks of jumping in bed with The Old Cabal, you should know that

DARK VENGEANCE SAYS:

Please be aware that all of the current members are longtime community members from Corpnews and/or #hate. If you contact someone in-game, please be sure to mention your Corpnews forum nickname. All characters on the in-game roster are labelled based on Corp nickname, because many of us have alts.

I also want to mention up-front that unless we know you pretty well, you will probably be inducted as an Initiate, with little to no guild bank access at first. This is not personal. Many of us have known and/or gamed with each other for years, so it may take time to work yourself completely into the fold.

While I'm certainly no fan of DV, you came off much worse in that thread than he did.
Xerapis
Contributor

Reply #48 on: April 04, 2008, 06:08:14 PM

Um...ok. ~shrug~

Not sure how you're seeing that, don't really care.  He said "come join our guild"  I said "ok"  He said "not so fast"  I said "that's fucked, you need to say that shit upfront, i'm outta here".

I have no idea what happened after that.  I logged out of the corpnews forums and deleted my bookmark for them.  Virtually nothing happens in those forums these days anyway.  I used to check there regularly but sometimes they had no posts for days.

No loss, for me or them.

tkinnun0
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: April 05, 2008, 12:48:36 AM

You forgot to scramble your password.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #50 on: April 05, 2008, 12:57:12 AM

Um...ok. ~shrug~

Not sure how you're seeing that, don't really care. 

Well, he said you wouldn't start off with full guild bank access and you might feel like an outsider for a bit since they've all been playing games together for years, and you responded by saying you don't want to be a probie bitch and not only are you not going to join the guild now but you're also going to leave the Corp forums.  I don't like having to take DV's side (or Corp in general, not that I have anything against them but it feels odd sticking up for them), but making "I'm Leaving" posts on message boards is always melodramitic and you're compounded it by bringing it up here, even making a point to mention that you deleted the corp bookmark.
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: April 05, 2008, 06:05:52 AM

It's really not that big a deal.  While we had to search for 2 DPS for a bit for our Kara run last night, we still cleared it within our 4 hour window.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2008, 06:22:13 AM by slog »

Xerapis
Contributor

Reply #52 on: April 05, 2008, 06:40:17 AM

Stuff

No, I responded by saying that they needed to put those kind of conditions in their guild recruitment message and then said I'm not applying for the guild and I'm leaving the forums.  I hadn't been participating much over there anyway, and I felt that the statements by DV were fairly representative of the community as a whole.  I no longer had a desire to be a part of that community.  I'm not saying they're wrong or whatever, just that I don't want to be there because of it. 

I mentioned deleting and all that because you said that I looked worse in the thread and since I had no clue how you came to that conclusion, I considered the possibility that other comments were made after mine that influenced your opinion.  I was only making the point that I had no idea what else was said.  That's it.

I don't mind being the probie bitch when I'm expecting it.  I wasn't expecting it, and it pissed me off, so I left.  I was just telling everyone else here that there were some restrictions on the corp guild before they go rushing off to apply or anything, and also sharing my personal reaction to those restrictions being brought up separate from the recruitment message.

If new members are going to be restricted, mention it in the recruitment message.  Don't wait until somebody mentions wanting to join.  That's a pretty basic concept.  It keeps situations like this from happening.

Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: April 05, 2008, 07:24:51 PM

If new members are going to be restricted, mention it in the recruitment message.  Don't wait until somebody mentions wanting to join.  That's a pretty basic concept.  It keeps situations like this from happening.
I just assume that everyone is going to hate me or think I'm a jerk when I join.  Makes this type of situation much less likely to happen.  Also gives me that boost to my self esteem when they are actually nice.  And I'm still operating on the same mentality as when I used to raid 2 years ago: no such thing as a guild bank (unless you are in good with the GM or his pals who do Master Looter and keep all the nice BOE stuff for themselves), elitist members, being made a bitch by someone else at least once a week.  So when it doesn't happen (like in F13's guild) I am pleasantly surprised.
DV

Email
Reply #54 on: April 07, 2008, 09:09:54 AM

Some points to mention:

1) What you regarded as a "recruitment post", I wrote as a friendly invitation to members of the Corp forum community. The thing is, it wasn't a formal recruitment for some official forum guild....it was a guy who posts on a message board saying "hey some of us that post here have a WoW guild, we need more people for raids but we don't want to add a bunch of strangers...any of you jerks wanna roll another alt?".

2) I don't see where anyone gets this sense of entitlement that "open to all" was the tone of my invite. It wasn't. I mentioned several times in the original post about "familiar faces" and the fact that I wanted people from the community. I've got nothing against lurkers...but cmon man, I may watch SportsCenter, but that doesn't exactly make me a part of the ESPN community. If we have to search the memberlist at Corp to even determine if you've ever registered there, that really defeats the purpose of a community guild.

3) I checked your post history at Corp, because I was curious if you were a lurker or just really new. From what I can see, you never really were a part of our community. The bulk of your other posts on Corp were about a cross-community WoW guild someone suggested back in 2006. For someone with such a hard-on to play WoW with us, it was a bit surprising to discover that you almost never post on the forums where we hang out.

4) Despite all of this, I was fine with your interest in joining, right up until you flipped out about what you keep calling "probie bitch" status. Who the fuck demands unlimited bank withdrawals from day one from a raiding guild full of people they've never played with before?

5) I mean, I understand where you're coming from. The DDO-equivalent of The Old Cabal was basically dead in the water just a few weeks after release. I'd have been all over a community guild for that game...because I was basically stuck to PUGs or joining a guild of strangers to get to the endgame (which I did). Especially in your case, Xerapis, getting a character to the 60s only to watch your guild go inactive...that's frustrating, and I acknowledge that.

But for fuck's sake, man. We would have happily tossed you a spot in a guild that's active at the endgame....and you threw a hissyfit over a guild bank restriction. We offered you a spot in the lifeboat, and you bitched about not getting the front seat. Have fun treading water.

6) The point about "shoulda been in the initial post"....well, it's good to know you would've double-bagged it, Mister Favre. I wasn't expecting folks that weren't familiar with our subset of the community were going to inquire about joining. Specifically, Noitek had PMed about membership just prior to my post...I posted the "disclaimer" so that he or any other newcomer wouldn't feel like an outsider. Why might he feel that way?

(A) Most of us active folks are doing endgame stuff, so that dominates the conversation in guild chat.
    (B) Folks pretty much level on their own, unless they REALLY need help.
    (C) Not knowing anyone, yet most of us have gamed together for years.
    (D) Feeling treated unfairly if they saw someone like Einer join the guild and get a better rank/privs.

7) I assume you've got some kind of reputation here on F13, Xerapis, but I think you need to wake up and smell the coffee. Corp and F13 are not a singular community. Haven't been for a while now. Your rep within this community means zilch at Corp, just as my rep at Corp means squat here.

Likewise, I don't know much about the F13 guild, I don't really care. I scan the Burning Region memberlist in these forums, and I only recognize a handful of the foum nicks. Whatever your policies are, they are. See how that works? I'm an outsider to your community, it's not my place to critique what your guild does.

8) Fuck you for making this a multi-forum drama bomb, and prompting me to re-register here.

Bring the noise.
Cheers.............
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: April 07, 2008, 11:11:48 AM

What is the sound of one hand clapping?

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
schild
Administrator

Reply #56 on: April 07, 2008, 11:39:23 AM

Wow. Just wow.
stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: April 07, 2008, 03:44:16 PM

Guh. This is what happens when people join RP servers.

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: April 07, 2008, 04:38:27 PM

And here I was assuming that this was all over last week.  Silly me.
Xerapis
Contributor

Reply #59 on: April 07, 2008, 05:59:36 PM

Yeesh.  My bad.

just /end discussion

Saying anything else would just make it worse.  Sorry to anyone offended or pissed off...don't want to cause any drama.

slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: April 08, 2008, 11:52:51 AM

I lol'd

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #61 on: April 08, 2008, 03:23:11 PM

schild
Administrator

Reply #62 on: April 08, 2008, 07:28:30 PM

Oh wow. A ghibli smiley.
brellium
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: April 09, 2008, 08:45:36 PM

<3 Xerapis

‎"One must see in every human being only that which is worthy of praise. When this is done, one can be a friend to the whole human race. If, however, we look at people from the standpoint of their faults, then being a friend to them is a formidable task."
—‘Abdu’l-Bahá
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #64 on: April 09, 2008, 09:01:43 PM

words

Please do not ban me.  Had to get that in.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
DV

Email
Reply #65 on: April 10, 2008, 07:07:30 AM

Please do not ban me.  Had to get that in.

Heh, if you think I'm worried about being banned here, you've got a short fucking memory.

As long as we're just having to get stuff in, ask Schild how his advice for Nintendo has panned out. Yknow, the thread in which he said that Ninentendo should abandon the Wii and get out of the console market in a Sega-like fashion. He felt pretty strongly about it, as 3 people ended up being banned as a result of the discussion.

Bring the noise.
Cheers.............
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #66 on: April 10, 2008, 07:49:58 AM

Why do you care about f13 anymore?  Does Schild or Trippy or anyone go over to your crymorenoob.site and stir up shit? 

Oh wait... no one does.

stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: April 10, 2008, 08:39:28 AM

I'm a douche.

Bring the noise.
Cheers.............

QFT

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
DV

Email
Reply #68 on: April 10, 2008, 09:38:56 AM

Why do you care about f13 anymore?  Does Schild or Trippy or anyone go over to your crymorenoob.site and stir up shit? 

Oh wait... no one does.

You mean the forums I deactivated back in 2005? Yeah, people usually don't visit forums that have been deleted for years. As to my personal site never getting going, heh. Apparently I need to remind you that F13's audience was virtually non-existant before the WTO takeover.

And for the record, I don't care about F13. Haven't for years. Hence the reason I said I don't care if you guys ban me. But when one of your WoW guildies goes emo on Corp about our WoW guild having bank restrictions, and then proceeds to come back here and misrepresent things I've said, I take issue with that. Just as folks from this site would (and have) with someone misrepresenting their words and actions on Corp. I was civil in my post to Xerapis, and left well enough alone until someone responded to me directly and threw some barbs my way.

Fuck, we were willing to bring your remaining active folks into our guild so we could all experience endgame content. I thought we were being pretty fucking nice in doing so.

So if all you want to do is fling shit, that's fine. I expected as much.

Bring the noise.
Cheers............
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: April 10, 2008, 09:50:48 AM

Fuck, we were willing to bring your remaining active folks into our guild so we could all experience endgame content. I thought we were being pretty fucking nice in doing so.

I agree that this was a nice gesture.  Had I stayed on Venture, I would have liked to play with a few of you. 

-  Mark Twain
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Burning Region  |  Topic: Taking a break  
Jump to: