Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:04:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  But is it Fun?  |  Topic: Sin Episodes: Emergence - Ritual Entertainment - PC 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sin Episodes: Emergence - Ritual Entertainment - PC  (Read 5880 times)
schild
Administrator

on: February 10, 2008, 08:37:49 PM

It's a first-person shooter, using the source engine. It came out ages ago, and was going to be one of those episodic content things, but a second episode never turned up. It was on retail shelves for $25ish, but I saw it on Steam for about $10 one day and thought why the heck not? Then it sat dormant in my Steam account for ages. It also came with Sin1, though I doubt I'll ever, ever play it.

So I first got around to playing this right after finishing HL2/Ep1/Ep2/Lost Coast/Riot Act. Initially, at least, it felt like it could have been another story set in the Half-Life world. The pistol was a little weak, and it was strange not having the Grav Gun at first, but it was okay, running around some new, not-quite-as-nice-as-HL2 environments and shooting guys. Then I took a break, for about 6 months. Started it again recently, and, well, it's just not special in any way. After awhile there's a genetics lab or some shit, and you're then fighting goons with guns and also ape-like mutants that leap at you, who are also fighting the guards. So it's now got elements of Far Cry, though as with HL2, not as good. There seem to only be three weapons, a pistol, shotgun and an assault rifle. The assault rifle has a nasty kick that destroys any  accuracy on a burst, all three weapons have a somewhat bland alt-fire, grenades have a satisfying pyrotechnic explosion, but there's no way to "cook" them, and the enemies have enough time to run away from them, so they're not as useful as they could be.

The game is pretty enough, though a noticeable step down from HL2, and… well, it's just really quite bland. It's a perfect example of a game that gets 5/10.  50%. Not shit, just not good. Blandissimo. I'm going to play through it until I finish it, but that's more because I bought it and I want to finish it, rather than loving the game. Every time I load it up, I hope I'll get to the end of the episode this session. And since we still haven't seen an Ep2 for it, I know I'll never have to play through it  or even consider the franchise again. (The episodes were supposed to be roughly every 6 months, it was released May 2006). Once I'm done, I'll even delete it from my steam directory to save me some HDD space.

The most interesting parts of the game so far have been the hidden virtual boobies, and my police partner who wears her g-string too high above her low cut police pants.

If I'd never bought it or started playing it I wouldn't have felt a loss.

---

Don't bother.

Sent in by Azazel.
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 08:54:33 PM

I quite liked it when it came out, but my understanding is that it didn't do so well financially and there simply aren't any more episodes coming out.

One of my favorite features though is the dynamic difficulty.  Start off popping head-shots and they get a bit smarter (and start wearing helmets! awesome, for real).  Get stuck in a portion and you'll have a health/ammo drop off a mob that hadn't done it previously.  It's not the most wiz-bang feature in the world, but it really did keep me playing the game instead of saying "fuck it" and dropping the difficulty or just breezing through the game.  Also, boobies.

I'm actually redownloading it now.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
lesion

Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 09:53:04 PM

Hot tuuuuub

steam|a grue \[T]/
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #3 on: February 10, 2008, 10:49:35 PM

Sixth, Seventh and Eighth pic from the far right. NSFW, clearly.

uhm,

anyway, I finished it, and the main impression I have of it really, still, is that it's another FPS. Not a bad one, just not a one good enough to justify the time and money to play it when there's so many others out there more deserving.

The hot chick character design was nice, however.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
schild
Administrator

Reply #4 on: February 10, 2008, 11:08:43 PM

From the f13 booth babe gallery from E3 '06.

http://www.f13.net/gallery/boothbabes/SiN00.JPG
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #5 on: February 11, 2008, 03:46:45 AM

if only the game were as good as those girls are hot.. I'd.. well.. I might have an ending to this sentence.

Or not.

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #6 on: February 13, 2008, 07:53:00 PM

Occasionally, latex is full of win. DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: February 17, 2008, 06:21:42 AM

From the f13 booth babe gallery from E3 '06.

http://www.f13.net/gallery/boothbabes/SiN00.JPG
You guys need to buy better cameras  awesome, for real

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
schild
Administrator

Reply #8 on: February 17, 2008, 08:55:15 AM

Already did.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #9 on: February 17, 2008, 04:06:00 PM

I like how the main focus of this discussion has quickly become hot booth babes. I think that speaks volumes on this game's notability in 2008.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  But is it Fun?  |  Topic: Sin Episodes: Emergence - Ritual Entertainment - PC  
Jump to: