Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:39:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: Memoirs of a Suicide Ganker 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Memoirs of a Suicide Ganker  (Read 249019 times)
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

on: January 29, 2008, 06:21:44 AM

There are many ways to make isk in Eve. For half a year now, I have been killing evil Guristas pirates in Venal. Over this time, Concord has earned a high level of respect of my attempted genocide of these Caldari looking bastards. Eventually, they told me I was simply as good as a good guy can get (5.0 sec status). I started thinking, I have them just where I want them!

I decided I would try something few people dare, many people despise, and one of great some risk. I am going to kill people in high sec and take their shit. Now there are many things that can go wrong with this plan. I only bother trying to kill people on autopilot. The thing is, they don't understand what kind of risk they are running in Eve by carrying a large amount of high value goods in untanked ships....ANYWHERE. Here is an example: (Lesson 1 , dont move valuable shit in a noob ship - they are slow.)

I am at my 2nd favorite gate, lazily scanning anything on autopilot. I check everything from Shuttles and noobships, up to Cruisers and haulers. T2 anything I ignore. I cant pop it before Concord rapes me. Shuttles take a real effort to kill, as they haul ass. The only way I attempt one would be a 100 million+ implant or officer item. So anyways, an impairor (noobship) warps in at 15km. I scan it (because hell, why not) and I say to myself...holy shit. Thanatos Blueprint, and about 20 Capital parts blueprint. So I basically web and instapop him. It turns out they were BPCs and not BPOs (100+ million score easy, if BPOS..dont ask). I think to myself what a dumbass.

Lesson 2: Giant Secure Containers Dont Hide Your Cargo
I had an Itty Mark V warp up, 15 km from the gate. It had been a damn slow night so far....hours of noob ships with 1 trit, empty haulers, and fuckers in t2 haulers. Seeing this Mark 5 was a sight for sore eyes. Unfortunetely, he saw me launch my drones and smartly warped off. I scanned em in time to see around 4 million Nocxium (400-450 mil) in Giant Secures. I curse a little bit, and get back to scanning. HE COMES BACK 2 MINUTES LATER. At 15km..like he is on autopilot. So I lock him and tear him a new asshole. Let's go over how this dude fucked up. First off, he was at his keyboard, yet he didn't warp to 0. If you warp to 0, guys like me will never even target you. Secondly, he saw me lock, launch drones and he pulled off an escape. NEVER COME BACK! For a minute I thought he had dumped his cargo and wanted to get me to go pop, but i scanned the same shit.

Lesson 3: Don't watch a guy get concorded.
In my setup, I can rape a hauler fucking quickly...especially if they are dumb and don't tank at all. The other day, I had a hauler I found with a Dread Cruise and a buncha other decent T1/T2 shit in it. I analyze for a quick sec and pop him. As I am going down I realize fuck it, Im dead anyways I might as well pop a random hauler that was sitting on the gate. Somehow I managed to like one volley his ass too. Two kills for one concording...YAY! My noob hauler alt sweeps in and unfortunetely, the Dread shit went pop. I check the random guy's wreck....A few hundred million in salvage parts. The guy convoed me later and asked why I killed him. I said, well I was going down anyways so I figured I'd take down as many people as I could. He replied that the only reason he hadn't jumped yet was he wanted to watch the concord fireworks. With my sensor boosted ass, i had a lock and raped his face before he knew what hit em. He said it was his own dumb fault, kinda like being at a Drive-by shooting and watching instead of ducking. Good analogy, random victim! He took it well, better than some guys which leads me to....

Lesson 4: Don't Be a Crybaby or Vow Vengeance.
No I'm not going to give you your shit back. If you are in a six man corp and vow vengeance upon me, don't pop my Shuttle like a dumb ass...you just threw away your kill rights. Hook line and sinker bitch. If you send me threatening mails...I'll report you for harassment. Well, actually I won't (my griefing has limits). I will however, consider getting my F13 BC buddies to war dec you so I can log in and fuck with you. He got awfully quiet when I told him he was about to get his little corp war decced. The final lesson being...

Don't fucking AFK with expensive shit.

Oh, these past few days have been quite entertaining...as well as lucrative. I am down to 1.3 security status, so I probably only have a day or two of it left. Ah well, its my new favorite past time when I get back up to 5.0 sec status. Gotta love Eve.

EDIT:
I guess I am kinda glorifying this a little. There are serious drawback. I had a can full of BPO's looted right after I popped a guy, that was truely painful. I have lost some ships due to stupidity/greed (tried to kill a T2 ship that had a Gistii 100mn AB in it, that wasnt afk), a ton of time sitting on a gate can get painfully boring. Sometimes, the good shit explodes...actually, a lot of times the good shit explodes. My sec status is plummeting. I have a big list of guys that can (try to) kill me anywhere. People hate me. Yadda yadda yadda.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 07:43:40 AM by Slayerik »

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
lac
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 07:02:43 AM

I was wondering what the average net isk gain is over all attempts.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 07:04:46 AM

I'd love to read about your setups, maybe move it to the secret folder?

WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 07:21:48 AM

Just kidding.  Fun story.  Someone finally made your kind of game without it being clownshoes ala Shadowbane.  Post more of this stuff.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 07:30:14 AM

I always watch when someone gets concorded or is in open combat around a gate as long as I'm not in a battleship or hauling valuable goods.

I sidle up really close, as they are generally very near the gate by time they are dead. I quickly loot the wreck and then jump through. It works a lot easier with open combat, since people are more concerned with combat than what happens *after* combat -- I can literally be right next to the guy who gets popped, loot, and be through the gate in 3 or 4 seconds.

Awww yeah. Free stuff. I got my first T2 modules this way.
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 07:37:24 AM

What I will say in Public area is, my skills make it sound so easy. I'm near maxed (Controlled bursts 4, AWU 4) in Hybrid gunnery, and drone skills. I would not take a 5 mil SP guy out suiciding, unless you like spending a lot of money.  I'll detail more about isk earned / ship setups there.

I will say be wary of a sensor boosting Tier 1 battlecruiser that has a motionless hauler nearby.

WUA: The funny part was I didn't grief in UO. I would consider this a level of griefing, but well within the game mechanics as I will become the equivilant of a UO red fairly soon. And I only grief people that are being lazy / stupid. So that justifies it in my book ... hehe

Bhodi : Ya , I guess I should clarify...if your ship has a paper thin tank, don't watch someone get Concorded :) Careful looting other people's wrecks as they can shoot you for 15 min after that. If they are busy, or like you said you are on the gate...what the hell!

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 07:39:03 AM

I suspect that CCP might gimp it at some point by making your insurance contract invalid when you get cordokkened.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 01:53:29 AM by Endie »

My blog: http://endie.net

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: January 29, 2008, 07:51:08 AM

Never done this, but from what I understand, the following are required:

1.  Alt with an industrial, standing by to pick up loot (must be able to have 2 accounts playing at the same time, on 1 computer or 2 computers).
2.  Cheapest ship possible with ability to lock fast, lock silently (passive targetters), cargo scanners, and do a lot of damage per salvo.

Tactics to combat this:

1.  Never autopilot (like he says).  You can set your route in the map, and just manually warp-to-0 towards the yellow gates in the overview.  Activate autopilot mid-warp so it jumps you at the gate, deactivate autopilot after your ship says "Jumping" (so you can warp-to-0 again on the other side).

2.  Tank up your ship.  If it's an industrial, forget about afterburners (you'll warp to 0, not needed), put in medium shield extenders and shield hardeners (EM, Thermal, Kinetic) and keep them on.  If you have valuable goods, don't use an industrial, use a tanked cruiser, tanked battleship, anything with large shields and armor, and fit a good tank maximizing the size of shields/armor and the resistances.  You don't need to repair, you just need to survive an alpha strike.  If needed, buy the ship, use it to haul, sell it when done for your money back.

3.  Figure out what can kill you in one salvo.   Can you be killed by a cruiser?  If yes, don't carry more than 8 million ISK in goods.  If you figure it requires a Battlecruiser, or Battleship, don't carry more than the value of those ships.  Remember that they get paid insurance when they get killed, so they may still go for your 8 million, but likely they'll hold for juicier targets.  But remember that nothing is safe; on several occasions a group has sacrificed 20+ battleships in order to get the cargo of a freighter because it was worth 10x more than the cost of those battleships.
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: January 29, 2008, 08:02:47 AM

Passive targeters are not necessary, Id rather run a sensor booster. I am going for AFK guys. I dont even carry a point.

IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #9 on: January 29, 2008, 08:14:34 AM

I'd guess high slots full of blasters, mids with a scanner, a webber and some cheap shield boosters. Lows with resistance plate, DCUs and as many magnetic field stabilisers as you can fit.

You don't even need a fast locking ship because you can cycle your guns without a target, and then open up instantly once locked for alpha-strike pwnage. If the guy is afk anyway, he won't react to being locked and Concord won't do anything until the first harmful action lands.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: January 29, 2008, 10:16:29 AM

I've been meaning to try this myself, actually.  I'll have to do some ratting in Providence before my security rating gets too low (the cruiser and frigate sorties have me down a bit already, but m going to give it a try.  Especially as I suspect that CCP might gimp it at some point by making your insurance contract invalid when you get cordokkened.

I think I could find a way around that.....as soon as im in structure have something in my corp salvo the piss outta me...might be tough, but it could work :)

Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: January 29, 2008, 10:33:27 AM

What's the quickest way to boost your security rating? I've been doing missions, but that doesn't seem to be boosting it too fast. (Our little pirate raid knocked a chunk of me).
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: January 29, 2008, 10:35:28 AM

Mail from what I call a good victim: The ones that understand L2play.

Title: Analogy

2008.01.29 16:59
I just realized an analogy for the situation, one that should be used whenever some btard complains about hi-sec ganks on the forums:

I really can't disavow responsibility. Its like parking a nice car in the hood, they shouldnt take it but your dumb if you think they wont :-p

Happy hunting, thinking about parking my Occator by the suiciders in there and racing to the wrecks :)

The other end of the spectrum:

No Subject

2008.01.27 18:18
just wanted to inform you that you made an enemy for life yopu stupid fuck. I'll be hunting you down like a dog.

Or return what was mine within 48 hours.

Please dont hurt me Mr. 6 person corp guy!!!

« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 01:27:54 PM by Slayerik »

Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: January 29, 2008, 10:37:32 AM

What's the quickest way to boost your security rating? I've been doing missions, but that doesn't seem to be boosting it too fast. (Our little pirate raid knocked a chunk of me).

Mine got maxed out by killing NPCs in Venal. I believe any red rats will raise it. Battleships/rares/officers raise it faster I believe.

Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: January 29, 2008, 10:39:00 AM

Mine got maxed out by killing NPCs in Venal. I believe any red rats will raise it. Battleships/rares/officers raise it faster I believe.
That count missioning rats? 'Cause I kill a lot of those.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: January 29, 2008, 10:40:23 AM

The other end of the spectrum:

No Subject

2008.01.27 18:18
just wanted to inform you that you made an enemy for life yopu stupid fuck. I'll be hunting you down like a dog.

Or return what was mine within 48 hours.

Please dont hurt me Mr. 6 person corp guy!!!
I believe Bat Country is considering new targets.....and we ARE talking about running tutorials in locating, scanning down, and dropping a swarm on targets. We'd need a name.....
amiable
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: January 29, 2008, 10:45:24 AM

Hmm...

Conversely, I wonder if it would be fun to tank the *(%$ out of an indi and put a single 80 million ISK implant in the hold, then autopilot it around and see how many folks take the bait.

Not really a money maker I guess cause folks ganking it will have ultra-cheap fittings.....   Hmmm... Maybe if I uber tank a T2, carry a hundred million in implants and then loot the large guns that drop off the battleship...

lac
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: January 29, 2008, 11:14:08 AM

That count missioning rats? 'Cause I kill a lot of those.

Yes, they count. The tougher they are, the more they add.

You can check it under the security status tab in the character sheet.
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: January 29, 2008, 11:20:32 AM

Hmm...

Conversely, I wonder if it would be fun to tank the *(%$ out of an indi and put a single 80 million ISK implant in the hold, then autopilot it around and see how many folks take the bait.

Not really a money maker I guess cause folks ganking it will have ultra-cheap fittings.....   Hmmm... Maybe if I uber tank a T2, carry a hundred million in implants and then loot the large guns that drop off the battleship...

Another thing I love about this game, one person always can seemingly find a way to make money off another's venture. Via deception in this case, but other times by providing me the items to suicide gank. YOU ARE SUPPORTING TERRORISM!@!!

Speaking of which, I need like 10 Brutixes made, if someone could make them in the sector of my choosing, I'll make it well worth your while.

amiable
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: January 29, 2008, 11:26:48 AM

Hmm...

Another thing I love about this game, one person always can seemingly find a way to make money off another's venture. Via deception in this case, but other times by providing me the items to suicide gank. YOU ARE SUPPORTING TERRORISM!@!!

Speaking of which, I need like 10 Brutixes made, if someone could make them in the sector of my choosing, I'll make it well worth your while.

Well now you've got me thinking...  It would probably be easier to supertank a cruiser.  If what you describe is the typical behavior of a high-sec gate camper it would seem that they scan everone, including "light" ships. 

The quesiton I have is what tank would do best?  I imagine a passive shield tank + some resists.  I could probably get 7-10000 shield on a Stabber with 30-50% resists.  Throw a salvager and tractor beam in the hi-slots and you are good to go.  Note:  If you see a stabber flying around with a single +5 implant in the hold today I would make sure you had overwhelming firepower...
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: January 29, 2008, 11:48:53 AM

See, stabber might be tough. I, personally, would be weary of such a naturally fast ship. It would have to be pretty damn juicy, though a +5 might work...all depends how long I'd been sitting there.

amiable
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: January 29, 2008, 11:50:55 AM

See, stabber might be tough. I, personally, would be weary of such a naturally fast ship. It would have to be pretty damn juicy, though a +5 might work...all depends how long I'd been sitting there.

Well I think the goal would be to have the prize juicy enough for someone to take the bait, but not so juicy that it would a tragedy to lose (you don't want 10 BS's ganking you all at once).  The other problem is finding a dhip that someone thinks is gankable, but you can tank the %$#@ out of...
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: January 29, 2008, 11:55:50 AM

The hard part about playin chicken is knowin when to flinch.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: January 29, 2008, 12:02:37 PM

I think that this little test of yours will return the following result:  whoever thinks they can take you out in one salvo will try to.

You seem to be searching for an answer to whether morality or "being nice" is a factor in whatever decision process suicide-gankers use.  I think it is a factor, but it happens in station as they decide what they'll do for the day, not at the gate when they're committed to making some money.
amiable
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: January 29, 2008, 12:12:06 PM

I think that this little test of yours will return the following result:  whoever thinks they can take you out in one salvo will try to.

You seem to be searching for an answer to whether morality or "being nice" is a factor in whatever decision process suicide-gankers use.  I think it is a factor, but it happens in station as they decide what they'll do for the day, not at the gate when they're committed to making some money.

I'm not sure where you are getting that morality thing from.   I am just trying to make a lucrative target that can survive the attack so I can loot their mods. 

The problem I am wrestling with is:

1.  Finding a ship that can be super tanked that
2.  Gatecampers think is an easy kill and
3.  Worth the time and toruble to attack.

I should probably go do some high-sec piracy to really get a feel for it...  Alas I do not have an alt account.
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #25 on: January 29, 2008, 12:13:13 PM

What exactly are you going to loot? t1 battleship modules? They are fitting that ship to be lost to concord.

You aren't thinking. It's not a profitable idea.
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: January 29, 2008, 12:13:42 PM

Oh, I misread / misunderstood.  Sorry. 

Postcount++

EDIT:  now, that industrial alt they have parked there, with all the juicy stuff they've looted already..., that might be a good target.  Except, you'd have to have your own indy alt in tow, to loot it.  And, it's probably more profitable to sit at a gate and gank, than it is to travel around looking for gankers with loot still in the indy.  And it would be a stale-mate anyway, you pop his indy and get concordokened, he pops yours as you try to loot and gets dokened.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 12:19:46 PM by ajax34i »
amiable
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: January 29, 2008, 12:15:59 PM

What exactly are you going to loot? t1 battleship modules? They are fitting that ship to be lost to concord.

You aren't thinking. It's not a profitable idea.

Yeah, the more I think about it the more that sounds right, while possibly fun there is no way to make a decent profit off this idea (even if I salvage)....
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: January 29, 2008, 12:47:05 PM

Ahh I thought you were out for vengeance on the likes of my kind!

YAAARRRRR you cant hurt me....my  ship's already dead :)

Snee
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: January 29, 2008, 04:12:02 PM

I was suicide ganked once for several billion. I petitioned it because I didn't know that such things were possible. They laughed at me.

After that I moved good stuff in a hyper-nanoed impel. I eventually got ganked again, but luckily I had only a few hundred million in cargo on board. In neither case was I afk.

After that... anything super expensive got moved in a prophecy/absolution with one complex rep on perma. It was slow as hell, and useless for picking up buy order scrap metal (which is how I made my seed money for escrow trading), but I never got attacked in empire again.  This was long before warp to zero, for which I would have gleefully sold my virtual left nut.

Suicide ganking pirates are vile, disgusting, monstrously evil scum deserving of vacuum face lifts. The alt thing still bugs me a little.

But the nice thing about Eve is that you can be evil scum and have your success depend on competence, rather than have game mechanics prohibit behavior. It's what makes it fun, (and real).

Snee
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: January 29, 2008, 06:49:52 PM

Out of curiosity, is it possible to escape concord in high sec? Or are you locked out of all stations / Gates with a possie of police hot on your tail till they get you?

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #31 on: January 29, 2008, 07:12:30 PM

There is no way to escape concord, and if there is, it's deemed an exploit (I'm looking at you, covops cyno).

You're locked out of gates for something like 2 mins 30 seconds after aggression, which is plenty of time to get yourself a concordokken.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 08:25:34 PM by bhodi »
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: January 29, 2008, 08:23:58 PM

30 sec, but ya.

Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: January 30, 2008, 01:22:40 AM

This is kinda off-topic, but if you really want to be an unpleasant, socially manipulative griefer who loots strip-mining modules, you do this:

1) Set up corp X, a one- or two-man alt corp which is at war with your main corp.  Make sure that your alt is female, to make this marginally easier.

2) Send your little alt in a bantam into an asteroid field next to some guy in a hulk, a covetor or something similar.  Passively targetting and scanning his modules beforehand might be a good idea, I suppose.  Check local for his corp-mates too, just in case.

3) Socially manipulate your way into getting him to fleet with you: chat for a while, mention how lonely the game is, how you get a lot of hassle from male players for being a girl, whatever you can carry off as a dirty, filthy role-player type.  Ask questions and let them be all wise and informative.  Act impressed.  Find out how much easier life is for girls in general if they know how to simper.

4) Once fleeted, warp in your main in a nice thorax or the like.  Scramble then open a convo with the mark, and ransom away: he has inherited your alt's war with your main by virtue of being ganged, and probably ignored the "so and so is at war with" warning on the gang invite screen.  He will be very confused by your ability to scramble him without concord intervention.  Don't explain the trick to him, of course: tell him that the latest path allowed for three minutes aggro in 0.6 space and below or something.  Give him 30 seconds to give you n million or it's bye-bye T2 mining ship and all those T2 strip miners, cpu rigs and mining upgrades.

5) Depending on how much he pisses you off, and how sociopathic you are in general, blow him up anyway.

My blog: http://endie.net

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: January 30, 2008, 02:54:20 AM

I've read (unconfirmed) reports that the 'lofty scam' (as described above) no longer works

The following explanation was offered

As this tactic was used a lot to blow up freighters it was unacceptable to CCP and thus now if someone is invited to a gang and is warped to a fleet of ships the first gang is at war with it's not possible for the other gang to shoot at that person. They are only permitted to shoot if the person who has been invited to the gang comits an act of aggression (fires) if they don't and they are fired upon the person who thought he/she was clever will get a greeting from concord in the form of a lost ship. It's somewhat complicated now but at least people don't lose full haulers to this problem.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: Memoirs of a Suicide Ganker  
Jump to: