Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 12:40:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: You do not speak about Frigate Club - Great kills but 2003 main will kill us all 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: You do not speak about Frigate Club - Great kills but 2003 main will kill us all  (Read 45546 times)
Myrdyn98
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: January 29, 2008, 06:13:20 AM

I have a commercial-grade internet connection with a server; Obviously, I can run vent as well as my current TS server should the need arise. There's no need to be buying access to one.

If you want, I'll set one up, and then you can buy access to mine, and you can pay in ISK :)

You can't, actually. Only their authorized resellers can have a 'commercial' version that holds more than the default 5 or whatever the personal version is. I looked into it once. See here: http://www.ventrilo.com/purchase.php

Thats why you need tweeky programmers that know how to rip out the 5 person cap from the software. Not that I know anything about that.  swamp poop
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 06:15:04 AM by Myrdyn98 »
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: January 29, 2008, 07:40:26 AM

I rented a vent server for awhile, I can do it again. It's pretty cheap. Give me a few and I'll have it setup.

Got a 40 person one setup, please use your EVE name and not your forum name to make it easier to see who's who while playing

Server: vent.7mph.com
Port: 4707

(Just waiting for DNS to go through, should be ready in an hour or so).

Please see the WAR forum for the password. You can also find this information in the MOTD for the WARF13 channel.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 07:50:59 AM by Viin »

- Viin
tar
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: January 29, 2008, 07:42:02 AM

Ahh, ship type. Ok. Gallente Frigate, might as well stick with incursus.
amiable
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: January 29, 2008, 08:05:59 AM

Two Questions:

I've been out of the game for a while so I am trying to remember cheap+effective Rifter setups...

1.  I'm putting together some Rifters for the op.  What type of guns should I go with in the high-slots?  I figure if I put a webber+close range scrambler I should go with my standard 3 150's(better tracking) and a nos.  But if we are going to orbit a bit farther out (using 20km scram + damp), are there better guns?  Artillery?

Low slots - I was thinking a small rep, a Istab and a EANM, is that still a good setup, or should I just say f-it and fit all damage mods in the lows?

2.  What system should I move my ship/ships to?  I don't need to know the op system but someplace close would be nice (since I am based out of Rens it will involve some trekking).

On a side note I managed to get my jump-clone out of 0.0 this morning in an old pig-slow vexor...  I forgot how exciting traveling 0.0 in a slow ship can be!
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: January 29, 2008, 08:12:38 AM

If I were you I'd definitely use a 20km disruptor: we don't have a shortage of points but you don't want to be within webbing range, nor do you want to be (lesson learned) too deep in the radius of a smartbomb!

Ideally, also, we'll have enough people fitting remote sensor dampeners this time that we can orbit outside any target's lock range and still scramble them.

My blog: http://endie.net

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #40 on: January 29, 2008, 09:15:16 AM

I know I'll be playing with some Punisher setups designed for 10k+ orbits with beams instead of pulse.  Fuggin SB's.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Snee
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: January 29, 2008, 03:31:22 PM

I'll be there in a retribution or crusader, whichever I can make more survivable. Am I sure to die, such that good mods are plain stupid? a LG halo set insane etc?

Snee the carebear
lac
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: January 29, 2008, 11:30:52 PM

Since you'll be flying with a gang of people piloting disposable ships in a suicide op, it might not be a bad idea to leave you expensive stuff at home.
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: January 30, 2008, 12:57:56 AM

Since you'll be flying with a gang of people piloting disposable ships in a suicide op, it might not be a bad idea to leave you expensive stuff at home.

What he says.  I will feel very upset if I give a warpin for a huginn and you're one of the people who get blown up when we swarm him, only to announce that you had a full halo set.

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
lac
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: January 30, 2008, 02:17:01 AM

1.  I'm putting together some Rifters for the op.  What type of guns should I go with in the high-slots?  I figure if I put a webber+close range scrambler I should go with my standard 3 150's(better tracking) and a nos.  But if we are going to orbit a bit farther out (using 20km scram + damp), are there better guns?  Artillery?

Low slots - I was thinking a small rep, a Istab and a EANM, is that still a good setup, or should I just say f-it and fit all damage mods in the lows?

A small nos only has a 5.5km range. Thats a pretty tight orbit you'll need there.

In the low slots you might want to consider some cap rechargers. A rifter with his mids (point/web/mwd) active will run out of cap pretty fast.
There is no need for tank, if you get hit, warp out. We will most likely not run into anything a disposable frigate can tank anyway.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: January 30, 2008, 05:29:41 AM

Tip for Punisher pilots - try fitting autocannons instead of lasers. The laser bonus is only reduced cap use (as opposed to a damage bonus) and autocannons will still use less cap anyway.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #46 on: January 30, 2008, 05:39:47 AM

Suggestions on frigate and setup?  Will there be something basic provided that I can just use "out of the box"?  I don't have any strong preference and am happy to try whatever makes sense for somebody just getting started with this.

I'll definitely have the needed skills for MWD, webify, and warp scrambling, assorted missile skills, and will work on various engineering, etc stuff to reduce cap costs and whatnot.

If there's some information on expected frigate builds for this sort of thing, I can make sure that I have any necessary skills trained up (provided it's doable in the ~week between getting High Speed Maneuvering I and the 9th).

ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: January 30, 2008, 06:49:47 AM

I'll fly either a griffin with a point and target jammer, or merlin with 125mm rails and std missiles, a point, and some shields.   They had ships on sale nearby, but I had to courier the modules in from Jita (which wasn't too bad, considering I'd have had to pay more buying locally).

Frigate builds, since we're talking about Tech 1 stuff all around, I imagine there are two possibilities:

- EW frigate (most races have one) with MWD, warp disruptor, target jammer or remote sensor dampener, and whatever weapons you manage to fit after the med slots are taken care of.

- damage frigate (typically merlin, kestrel, punisher, rifter, whatever) with the high slots maximized with weapons, and maybe a warp disruptor / webifier in one of the med slots, and shield or armor tanking (as much as it's possible on a T1 frigate) if possible.

I think it's preferable to bring (a few of) your own, simply because you won't have to wait for someone to hand you a ship while we go on with the hunting, but I think Endie or Viin or the other organizers are planning on handing out some pre-fitted ships a day or so in advance, so look for an announcement about the exact date and time when they'll do that.

BTW, since I'm already in the area, I can buy and ferry ships and modules if needed.  So anyone who needs ships and/or modules purchased/moved for the op, eve-mail Neranna Sol with what and I'll see about getting them there.
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #48 on: January 30, 2008, 06:53:47 AM

A standard tackler is the third option.

Quinton, I suggest a tackler for very new people without a lot of skills or understanding. it's pretty easy; pre-set your orbit distance, lock on a target, click the orbit button, turn on mid-slots.

A Vigil is a terrific dedicated tackler because of it's +5% speed per frigate level.

Tacklers are easy to fit: microwarp drive, webifier, warp disruptor in mid, nanofiber weave hull upgrade in low. Whatever small guns you like in high, you aren't there to do damage.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: January 30, 2008, 10:59:07 AM

I'll join you in a rifter. I love that ship  awesome, for real

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
dwindlehop
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: January 30, 2008, 01:13:33 PM

I actually prefer teamspeak because I can run the client on my (Linux) laptop.
I have Vent running under Linux. I can't turn sound on in Eve while I'm running Vent, but them's the brakes. Google around, there's instructions for running Vent over wine in blogs and in the Vent forums.
gal than
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: January 30, 2008, 06:31:01 PM

im down for another run as long as my wife doesnt have a cow about it.  i will most likely be flying a condor again i havent played with the other frigates that much.  ill play with them and give you a definate before next weekend.  that is if you will have me again.

any suggestions? i can fly all caldari frigates but nothing else yet
Gal Than
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 11:53:55 PM by gal than »
Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: January 30, 2008, 09:46:32 PM

Frigate builds, since we're talking about Tech 1 stuff all around, I imagine there are two possibilities:

- EW frigate (most races have one) with MWD, warp disruptor, target jammer or remote sensor dampener, and whatever weapons you manage to fit after the med slots are taken care of.

- damage frigate (typically merlin, kestrel, punisher, rifter, whatever) with the high slots maximized with weapons, and maybe a warp disruptor / webifier in one of the med slots, and shield or armor tanking (as much as it's possible on a T1 frigate) if possible.

I think it's preferable to bring (a few of) your own, simply because you won't have to wait for someone to hand you a ship while we go on with the hunting, but I think Endie or Viin or the other organizers are planning on handing out some pre-fitted ships a day or so in advance, so look for an announcement about the exact date and time when they'll do that.

I'm pretty short on cash, so I was hoping to take advantage of pre-fitted ships if possible.  I plan on getting myself moved over to our jump-off point or reasonably nearby mid-week next week and get whatever I can setup in advance to avoid wasting time when things get started.  I figured whatever T1 Caldari frigate makes the most sense for basic tackling and/or is readily available would be the way to go.

Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: January 31, 2008, 12:58:57 AM

I'm pretty short on cash, so I was hoping to take advantage of pre-fitted ships if possible.  I plan on getting myself moved over to our jump-off point or reasonably nearby mid-week next week and get whatever I can setup in advance to avoid wasting time when things get started.  I figured whatever T1 Caldari frigate makes the most sense for basic tackling and/or is readily available would be the way to go.

Really, do make use of these pre-fitted ships if you have any money concerns.  And insure them: that way when you get blown up you will actually make a profit of a third of a million or so ISK.  I will be very dissapointed if I am handing out free ships to new players and they're not insuring them to make free cash.

No need to turn up too early:  I'll have an alt in place able to hand out frigates earlier in the day, so we should be able to form up fairly early. I only do the four types of frigates and fittings, though - Merlins, Punishers, Incursuses and Rifters - just because of the logistics complications concerned in covering tons of alternatives (like Omar Bradley supposedly said: "Amateurs study tactics; professionals study logistics."  DRILLING AND MANLINESS)

Twitter - Endieposts

Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: January 31, 2008, 01:23:37 AM

Really, do make use of these pre-fitted ships if you have any money concerns.  And insure them: that way when you get blown up you will actually make a profit of a third of a million or so ISK.  I will be very dissapointed if I am handing out free ships to new players and they're not insuring them to make free cash.

No need to turn up too early:  I'll have an alt in place able to hand out frigates earlier in the day, so we should be able to form up fairly early. I only do the four types of frigates and fittings, though - Merlins, Punishers, Incursuses and Rifters - just because of the logistics complications concerned in covering tons of alternatives (like Omar Bradley supposedly said: "Amateurs study tactics; professionals study logistics."  DRILLING AND MANLINESS)

Sign me up for a couple Merlins then.  Do you have a specific loadout for the low/med/high slots planned?  For those of us just bootstrapping it'd be handy to make sure we have the appropriate skills trained -- I think I've got stuff covered and will just keep pushing up various skills for more bonuses on speed/cap/ecm/etc unless I discover things I'm missing that are needed for these ships.

Looking forward to the 9th.

- Q
gal than
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: January 31, 2008, 03:09:31 PM

if thats the case sign me up for merlins too,  of the other races whats another good frigate? maybe ill train those skills and try flying some variety.

Gal Than
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #56 on: January 31, 2008, 06:24:37 PM

if thats the case sign me up for merlins too,  of the other races whats another good frigate? maybe ill train those skills and try flying some variety.

Gal Than
Dude. Spy. I just can't take it any more man. I'm sorry.

Do you notice how we're making fun of your corpmates for their spelling and punctuation? I mean, YOU'VE learned about the spellcheck and that means you're one up on them, but you're still missing two things.

1. Capitalization
2. No one here signs their posts with their names, since it is blindingly obvious who made the post, you know, with the name and avatar about 2 inches to the left.

If you're going to try and fit in, you might want to fix those two little issues.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: January 31, 2008, 07:18:13 PM

2. No one here signs their posts with their names, since it is blindingly obvious who made the post, you know, with the name and avatar about 2 inches to the left.

Every now and again I forget and drop a -Q at the bottom, but people usually mock me when I do.

Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: February 01, 2008, 03:05:34 AM

Gal Than
Dude. Spy. I just can't take it any more man. I'm sorry.

Do you notice how we're making fun of your corpmates for their spelling and punctuation? I mean, YOU'VE learned about the spellcheck and that means you're one up on them, but you're still missing two things.

Bhodii is right: I mean, it's kinda nice having one of our enemies tagging along on our suicide runs (it means when smart-bombing Typhoons fuck us up we can say "lol spy leaked our position" instead of "oops sat around too long") and it lets us show how broad-minded and liberal we are but you gotta stop signing your posts.

Twitter - Endieposts

Mook
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: February 01, 2008, 03:14:46 AM

I'm in with a Punisher. I'll be going with beam lasers and a RSD + range script.

Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: February 01, 2008, 03:18:35 AM

I'm in with a Punisher. I'll be going with beam lasers and a RSD + range script.

Yay!  Someone else using RSDs!

Twitter - Endieposts

tar
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: February 01, 2008, 04:33:41 AM

I can use RSDs now, is sensor linking I enough to be useful or should I aim for 2-3 or higher?
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #62 on: February 01, 2008, 05:01:46 AM

I am so in!

I'll bring my own tackling fitted Incursus. Yay, coolness! Excitement! Adrenaline!  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

lac
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: February 01, 2008, 06:28:17 AM

yay! I just realised its actually next week, not this weekend... rolleyes
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: February 01, 2008, 06:33:32 AM

I can use RSDs now, is sensor linking I enough to be useful or should I aim for 2-3 or higher?

With skills, it's usually the case that if you train it to 2, usually at a cost of less than a couple of hours for all but the really advanced ones, it's worthwhile.  The jump from three to four is the bit where you start to get really diminishing returns.

If I remember rightly the advantage with RSDs is that you can run them longer as your skill goes up.  Worth looking at EFT and checking whether you need to husband your capacitor or not when calculating what to train.  You can turn off your propulsion mod when checking this, as the point will be that you are outside his damped locking range anyway.

Twitter - Endieposts

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #65 on: February 01, 2008, 09:14:26 AM

yay! I just realised its actually next week, not this weekend... rolleyes

Whoa.  I didn't see that either, I thought it was Saturday because of the Superbowl.  Good thing somebody pointed that out.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
gal than
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: February 01, 2008, 07:10:48 PM

ok so my wife informed me this morning that i will not be attending saturdays fun.  apparently she aquired some tickets to see jeff corwin from the animal planet so were taking the kids to see that.  and i am confused.  have i actually done something to make anyone believe i am really a spy last few times ive been on different people have made comments.  i do hope its just your sence of humor.  anyways hope to make the next one told my wife she needs to leave me alone one of these days so i can get blown up too.

Gal Than
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #67 on: February 01, 2008, 08:14:42 PM

Aaaand you fail at reading comprehension, too. Classic.
gal than
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: February 01, 2008, 10:01:04 PM

seeing as i didnt read that post until now you are mistaken.  and i wasnt aware that having to take care of my 3 month old twins classified me as a spy.  sorry you dont believe me.  but when you post in a forum where any of them can read where you are starting out at im sure its not hard to have someone waiting for you.  i was actually dissapointed i missed that even if it meant getting blown up too.  but i assure you, i leaked no information.  but nothing i say will ever convince you of that.  i just wanted to learn how to play the game better.  so good luck, see ya around all that fun stuff.  dont know what else to say guess if i was actually a spy i would have tried harder to learn all of your secrets.  because if i was a spy it wouldnt serve me very well to expose myself so soon.  and bhodi grammar is the least of my concerns and old habits die hard as far as signing my posts. 
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 10:04:37 PM by gal than »
gal than
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: February 01, 2008, 11:27:53 PM

i was also wondering, how could i allegedly leak anyones location when you got smart bombed.  i went afk to take care of one of my babies and even had left the fleet. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: You do not speak about Frigate Club - Great kills but 2003 main will kill us all  
Jump to: