Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:47:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: You do not speak about Frigate Club - Great kills but 2003 main will kill us all 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: You do not speak about Frigate Club - Great kills but 2003 main will kill us all  (Read 45543 times)
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #140 on: February 10, 2008, 03:00:56 PM

I'd like to join one of these raids, time permitting (I'm an 8pm EST or later guy). I left off as Min battlecruiser (Cyclone I think) and a bunch of Frigates. I was just on the cusp of level 3 missions. Once I move to wherever you guys are (which I'll find out ingame), should I focus on finding where to continue those missions, or go straight out ratting?

Any other threads here to catch up on?

And I can listen to voicechat but not talk into it until I move my office. I gud at orders tho.
Terracotta Army

Reply #141 on: February 11, 2008, 12:49:17 AM

How large are these rats that can actually make a dent in your standings and
is there any hope of taking them solo in a frigate or will I need to get into something
larger or join up with people to make this work?  The little belt rats (~8K bounty) in
the 0.5 system next to the -BAT- office seemed to result in an 0.005% security boost
after a while (resulting in no visible change to my -0.73 standing).

Unfortunately, unless you do 0.0 Battleship rats youre looking at quantity over quality. In my Crow (with its kinetic bonus against Guristas) I can solo Battlecruiser rats but it takes ages and uses a shitload of ammo. Obviously if you have a [T1?] Frigate with a higher damage output (blaster/drones I guess) _and_ you can tank the damage then you could chew through them fast enough to probably make it worthwhile for the time/ammo invested.....then all you need to do it not get caught/killed by any low sec player pirates.....

Take something larger and the chances increase of getting caught/killed by player pirates
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #142 on: February 11, 2008, 01:17:04 AM

In my Crow (with its kinetic bonus against Guristas) I can solo Battlecruiser rats but it takes ages and uses a shitload of ammo.

Could you post your layout ? I simply get ripped apart by missiles as soon as I start to orbit.

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #143 on: February 11, 2008, 01:24:12 AM

Unfortunately, unless you do 0.0 Battleship rats youre looking at quantity over quality. In my Crow (with its kinetic bonus against Guristas) I can solo Battlecruiser rats but it takes ages and uses a shitload of ammo. Obviously if you have a [T1?] Frigate with a higher damage output (blaster/drones I guess) _and_ you can tank the damage then you could chew through them fast enough to probably make it worthwhile for the time/ammo invested.....then all you need to do it not get caught/killed by any low sec player pirates.....

Is there a middle ground somewhere?  As best I understand it, you only get a security rating bump every 15 minutes or so, the little rats I can kill without worry seem to be worth such a tiny percentage bump that 5-6 of these bumps has not made a visible change in my security rating.  It feels like I'm grinding and the XP bar isn't moving at all, something I was hoping to avoid in EVE...
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #144 on: February 11, 2008, 01:33:02 AM

[ 2008.02.09 22:55:17 ] Deadford > shouldve knwn with stupid gons in local
It's nice to be so well-loved by the EVE-O playerbase. awesome, for real

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Terracotta Army

Reply #145 on: February 11, 2008, 01:42:02 AM

Could you post your layout ? I simply get ripped apart by missiles as soon as I start to orbit.

Are you using a MWD? What orbit distance are you using? - sounds like youre using an afterburner.

[Guristas/missle] rats wont hit you in a MWD orbit unless you bounce off a roid (quite common in those un-mined low sec belts) or similar. Destroyer rats _might_ still be able to track you but they die in 2 salvos

Is there a middle ground somewhere?  As best I understand it, you only get a security rating bump every 15 minutes or so, the little rats I can kill without worry seem to be worth such a tiny percentage bump that 5-6 of these bumps has not made a visible change in my security rating.  It feels like I'm grinding and the XP bar isn't moving at all, something I was hoping to avoid in EVE...

Let me put it this way I ripped through every belt across 6 low sec systems over the weekend and killed every belt rat I saw. The result was my standing increased from something like -1.38 to -1.32 so in terms of low sec I dont think theres a better way.

What you really want to do is get yourself a cloaking battleship out to one of the 0.0 NPC regions and do some ratting in one of the backwater systems well off the main travel routes (good idea if you have use a spare jump clone for the trip)
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #146 on: February 11, 2008, 03:38:21 AM

Practically though, I don't think these low sec adventures are going to work out if you want to keep a high sec security clearance. That's a shame.
Terracotta Army

Reply #147 on: February 11, 2008, 03:42:24 AM

Practically though, I don't think these low sec adventures are going to work out if you want to keep a high sec security clearance. That's a shame.

Unless you let them shoot you first or they are already flashy red (does reduce your targets though which were probably already few and far between)

Alternatively do it in an NPC 0.0 region
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #148 on: February 11, 2008, 04:17:21 AM

If people are keen to keep high security clearances and don't have the ability to rat in 0.0 I'll look at taking us into NPC 0.0 space next time.

My blog: http://endie.net

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
tar
Terracotta Army

Reply #149 on: February 11, 2008, 05:02:37 AM

That would suit me. On a semi-related note, does anyone know of a good out-of-game map tool? I'm looking at http://eveinfo.com/evemap/ at the moment, which is decent enough but if there's a better one I'd like to have a look. I'm trying to find a decent 0.5 system to build up sec status...
Terracotta Army

Reply #150 on: February 11, 2008, 05:06:59 AM

That would suit me. On a semi-related note, does anyone know of a good out-of-game map tool? I'm looking at http://eveinfo.com/evemap/ at the moment, which is decent enough but if there's a better one I'd like to have a look. I'm trying to find a decent 0.5 system to build up sec status...

have you looked at www.ombeve.co.uk ?
tar
Terracotta Army

Reply #151 on: February 11, 2008, 05:15:31 AM

Nice, no I hadn't seen that one. Going to take some getting used to but looks like it has the kind of info I need :) Thanks!
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #152 on: February 11, 2008, 06:08:40 AM

Its probably time for 0.0 anyways, no sec loss there. You will find bigger fights, and probably die more ...but in the experience department it is the natural progression.

Anyone that wants to rat in Venal for good cash or sec status, I can set you up with any Caldari or Gallente battleship or battlecruiser (thus not risking the trip through 0.0, you can take a shuttle). I would recommend a jump clone, and you better watch local. It's scary up here.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #153 on: February 11, 2008, 06:25:20 AM

Also, frigate gangs are great for their speed...but cruisers arent exactly slow. I think maybe next week, for the 0.0 trip, bump it to a Destroyer gang or Cruisers and smaller. Will hike your DPS up a bunch.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
amiable
Terracotta Army

Reply #154 on: February 11, 2008, 06:46:03 AM

Again, for those who have been soloing the game so far and never done fleet ops...  IT IS AN ENTIRELY DIFFERENT EXPERIENCE.  I really can't stress this enough, it's like the difference between masturbating and having sex.  Mechanically it results in the same effect, but one is light years more fun than the other. Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #155 on: February 11, 2008, 06:58:08 AM

Well, it's a little bit like WoW/EQ/etc raiding; if you're used to being on time, prepared, quiet on VENT, following instructions, etc., like we all seem to be, the op goes very well.  It helps that we have really good FC's and organizers, as well as good scouts, and that we're decent at following instructions and thinking as we go.  I think it's awesome to see so many people working together perfectly.

We haven't seen gate camps yet, and we haven't run into equal-numbered opponents, so we'll see.  To me, those encounters would be fun, despite the losses, but it would take us longer to re-organize and re-attempt (since the starting point will be far from the encounter area).
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #156 on: February 11, 2008, 07:11:25 AM

Stage closer to a 0.0 entrance then :)

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #157 on: February 11, 2008, 07:15:05 AM

Terriffic fun, I've have ss's that I haven't gotten around to monkey'ing with in PS yet that I will post sometime tomorrow.

Tip of the cap to Endie, whoever got the first point on those two cruisers, Amarr for relaying orders & Irek for doing the broadcasts.  Also whoever was in the Taranis doing all the damage.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #158 on: February 11, 2008, 07:30:10 AM

Also, frigate gangs are great for their speed...but cruisers arent exactly slow. I think maybe next week, for the 0.0 trip, bump it to a Destroyer gang or Cruisers and smaller. Will hike your DPS up a bunch.

I was thinking of doing something similar. I saw viin in his BC and I was jealous and considered bumping myself up and taking a Hurricane or Cyclone.  Of course, I'd be out of it for a while without selling a timecard, but damnit big guns are fun.    Maybe a Destroyer or Cruiser would be better-suited since it wouldn't cost as much to replace.

Also, after I get my Molecular Eng. research skill up to L3 (later today) I'm considering doing leadership skills so we've got some bonuses to spread around.  I'm already at L2, so any suggestions on what to train next?

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Terracotta Army

Reply #159 on: February 11, 2008, 08:11:59 AM

Well, it's a little bit like WoW/EQ/etc raiding; if you're used to being on time, prepared, quiet on VENT, following instructions, etc., like we all seem to be, the op goes very well.  It helps that we have really good FC's and organizers, as well as good scouts, and that we're decent at following instructions and thinking as we go.  I think it's awesome to see so many people working together perfectly.

We haven't seen gate camps yet, and we haven't run into equal-numbered opponents, so we'll see.  To me, those encounters would be fun, despite the losses, but it would take us longer to re-organize and re-attempt (since the starting point will be far from the encounter area).

We took 2 of our 'less experienced' members on a low sec trip last night in Interceptors with our less experienced FC. As we left a belt a flashy red Vagabond warped in behind us, we arrived at the next belt knowing he'd probably follow, our FC hesitated not knowing if we should engage or bail, one of the two less experienced pilots sat stationary at the warpin waiting for orders and by the time the FC decided the bail the Vagabond (and his previously unseen friend in a nano-Ishtar) were at the belt.

At this point teamspeak went nuts

The result?

Nano Ishtar kills stationary Interceptor while insanely fast Vagabond kills a second Interceptor

I was thinking of doing something similar. I saw viin in his BC and I was jealous and considered bumping myself up and taking a Hurricane or Cyclone.  Of course, I'd be out of it for a while without selling a timecard, but damnit big guns are fun.    Maybe a Destroyer or Cruiser would be better-suited since it wouldn't cost as much to replace.

Also, after I get my Molecular Eng. research skill up to L3 (later today) I'm considering doing leadership skills so we've got some bonuses to spread around.  I'm already at L2, so any suggestions on what to train next?

Problem with your gang sizes is you need someone with a high leadership to act as leader in order for the person assigned as booster to take effect (the leader and the booster need not be the same guy!)
Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #160 on: February 11, 2008, 08:39:28 AM

I'm also training Leadership up for just this reason (edit: ok, truth be told, I need it for Fighter Drones too).  It takes about a week to start training the Wing Command skill. The hierarchy of a fleet is split into four: Fleet Commander (1), Wing Commanders (max 5), Squad Commanders (max 25) and Squad Members (max 225 in their squads and wings). This means the biggest possible group in EVE is 256 players! There reason why before heading off the FC asks if anyone has the Wing Command skill, is that a Wing Commander has commander options and gives leadership bonuses to all squadrons in his wing. He also receives leadership bonuses from himself and the Fleet Commander, however Wing Commanders do not receive any leadership bonuses from other commanders of equal or lower rank in the fleet hierarchy.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 05:27:50 PM by Gets »
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #161 on: February 11, 2008, 08:43:39 AM

And that's why I have Wing Command 3. :) Though I'm working on some more!

- Viin
Grand Design
Terracotta Army

Reply #162 on: February 11, 2008, 08:51:41 AM

This is making me want to play Wing Commander.
dwindlehop
Terracotta Army

Reply #163 on: February 11, 2008, 01:28:03 PM

The lowest effort way to gain sec status is to park yourself in a system. Kill a BS rat. Log off. Log back in 15 minutes later and kill another BS rat. Rinse and repeat.

I suppose that above is false. The lowest effort way is to stay above -1.9 and wear your yellow status proudly. :)

Many BS rats are soloable in a cruiser with relatively poor skills. If you invest a bit in damage skills and mods, it's even easy. You will need some rat-specific resists.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #164 on: February 11, 2008, 01:53:00 PM

A couple of missions with Gallente Federation Intelligence raised my status about .7ish.  When I looked I think they gave .075ish each.  I'll confirm when I get home.

Not awesome but it keeps you in highsec and you can make a few mil while you do it.  I would imagine doing missions for any of the races navies or other governmental organizations will work.

edit: The faction increase was because they [the missions] were against Serpentis.  Anyway, I'm at -.13 now so it works.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 03:35:46 PM by Murgos »

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Akkori
Terracotta Army

Reply #165 on: February 11, 2008, 04:08:11 PM

My newest alt has Wing Command 1, and levels 3 or 4 in the basic Warfare skills. He's still sitting in an NPC corp, percolating. No ship or combat skills due to the way I created him. If we're desperate for a toon to fill a slot for the FC, I could theoretically bring him in. He's also slated to be my research dude.

I am for the 0.0 hunting, particularly now that I see how much of a pain it will be to get that sec rating back.

I love the position : "You're not right until I can prove you wrong!"
JoeTF
Terracotta Army

Reply #166 on: February 12, 2008, 04:48:05 PM

How large are these rats that can actually make a dent in your standings and
is there any hope of taking them solo in a frigate or will I need to get into something
larger or join up with people to make this work?  The little belt rats (~8K bounty) in
the 0.5 system next to the -BAT- office seemed to result in an 0.005% security boost
after a while (resulting in no visible change to my -0.73 standing).

Take something larger and the chances increase of getting caught/killed by player pirates

Okay, here is a pro tip:
Get Punisher (amarr frig with loltastic damage), fit AB, lots of firepower and small armor rep.
Go to Fountain and kill npc BS. They use misilles and their guns track to slow to ever hit you.
Don't worry about other players, Fountain is full of noobs right now:P and it's pretty much impossible to catch t1 frig anyway.
Solo, you will be able to kill anything 600k bounty and less, if you get a friend or upgrade to Retriubution, you will be able to kill everything, faction spawns included*.
dwindlehop:
Could you check if status changes (joining gang, jumping stargate, relogging) still resets the timer?

*though it will take shitload of time during which locals might show up and steal your delicious prey.
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #167 on: February 13, 2008, 01:02:27 AM

Don't worry about other players, Fountain is full of noobs right now:P and it's pretty much impossible to catch t1 frig anyway.

Indeed.  That said, Bruce will more than likely see you as a critical threat and indulge their habit of hot-dropping half a dozen carriers on you, but they'll add up to little more than some company in local to chat to while you rat.

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #168 on: February 13, 2008, 01:22:29 AM

Indeed.  That said, Bruce will more than likely see you as a critical threat and indulge their habit of hot-dropping half a dozen carriers on you, but they'll add up to little more than some company in local to chat to while you rat.

Oh, I've been wondering about that expression while reading various threads on The Great War.

What does "hot drop" mean in the context of EVE?
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #169 on: February 13, 2008, 01:43:45 AM

Oh, I've been wondering about that expression while reading various threads on The Great War.

What does "hot drop" mean in the context of EVE?

Hot-dropping is when you get a bunch of capitals and cyno them in right on top of an enemy location.  So your enemy is happily shooting a POS with dreads or fighting your gang or camping a gate when suddenly a covops decloaks 10km away, a cyno beacon goes up (what caps jump to in order to enter systems), there is a rather cool series of cone-shaped, swirling cyno visual effects, and suddenly you are surrounded by dreads and everyone in local is using cyrillic.  This is how alliances die.

Ninja Edit: rather less scarily, Bruce are notoriously keen to hot-drop carriers on even the smallest roaming gang.

Twitter - Endieposts

Terracotta Army

Reply #170 on: February 13, 2008, 01:51:54 AM

Apologies for not mentioning this earlier but it really hadnt occured to me.

The reason most of your sec is taking a hammering is because the target is not shooting you back (you specifically rather than just not defending himself at all)

If you look at your security status log under your character sheet you'll see most of you are taking 2 sec hits when you kill a low sec target. The first is a minimal hit for agression (although it's a percentage as long as your sec isnt lower than -2.0 it probably only amounts to -0.05 in real terms) but the death of a target that you agressed that didnt shoot you back will result in a second, much bigger, hit (which amounts to about -0.2 as above). Podding results in a hit somewhere in the region of -1.2 (last time I did it which was a while back)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: You do not speak about Frigate Club - Great kills but 2003 main will kill us all  
Jump to: