Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:07:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: ION 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: ION  (Read 25823 times)
Cim
Terracotta Army

on: December 11, 2007, 06:46:03 PM

I've been separated from Green Lantern for a while now and was wondering what the hell happened?  When did Hal make it back, when did the Corps come back and when did Kyle not be the Ion anymore?  Also, where's his hot green girlfriend?

Theres a place on your face that can save the human race, its called a smile, the positivity that it creates takes awhile, but the grin will turn an inch into a mile.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 01:08:38 AM

I've been separated from Green Lantern for a while now and was wondering what the hell happened?  When did Hal make it back, when did the Corps come back and when did Kyle not be the Ion anymore?  Also, where's his hot green girlfriend?

You really have been gone for a while.  Hal came back in the mini Green Lantern:  Rebirth.  It's a really good story, so if you're into Green Lantern stuff I recommend picking it up.  Jade got offed during Infinite Crisis.  Kyle ceased to be Ion during the events of the current Sinestro Corps story (which I also highly recommend, and while you're at it you might as well check out all the issues of the current runs of Green Lantern and Green Lantern Corps).
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 07:25:09 AM

Kyle losing the Ion power kind of threw me, because I had thought he became Ion during Infinite Crisis because Jade merged her powers with his or something. Now it's apparently something the Guardians can just hand out and take back at their whim.

Cim
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 03:59:29 PM

Nah, he got his Ion powers from the power that Hal left in the sun after rekindling it in some miniseries about a light eating alien that tried devour the sun. 

Theres a place on your face that can save the human race, its called a smile, the positivity that it creates takes awhile, but the grin will turn an inch into a mile.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007, 12:25:53 AM

Nah, he got his Ion powers from the power that Hal left in the sun after rekindling it in some miniseries about a light eating alien that tried devour the sun. 

I think he gave a portion of his Ion power to Jade, and then got it back when she died.  Something along those lines.
Cim
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: December 13, 2007, 05:40:47 AM

Nah, he just unblocked the flow of her energy one night.  If he got it from her when she died, that would have made him even more uber.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #6 on: December 14, 2007, 04:04:16 PM

Green Lantern #25 (which just came out a couple days ago) is required reading, and sets up the next couple years of stories.  Won't say any more until others have read it.
Cim
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: December 14, 2007, 04:26:16 PM

I'll check into it tomorrow, is there a place to get back issues and what not?

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #8 on: December 15, 2007, 01:46:52 AM

I'll check into it tomorrow, is there a place to get back issues and what not?

Various places to order issues online (you could also wait for the TPB).  Various other places to download comics, but I'm not going to list any such places here (Marvel and DC have also recently been getting the major comic torrent sites shut down according to some recent Newsarama articles).  Green Lantern is finale to the Sinestro Corp storyline, so if you're actually going to buy the issues, waiting for the trade might be best.  It starts with the Sinestro Corps one-shot, and runs through Green Lantern 21-25 I think, and Green Lantern Corps 14-18 (with an epilogue in 19).  Some other one-shots in there (Superman Prime, Cyborg Superman, and one or two others), but it won't hurt the story to skip them.
Cim
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: December 15, 2007, 05:45:58 AM

I see, so back issues is just a big waste, gotcha.  Well, there are always badgering people who have read them for storyline info.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #10 on: December 15, 2007, 03:09:34 PM

I see, so back issues is just a big waste, gotcha.  Well, there are always badgering people who have read them for storyline info.

More of a hassle than a waste.  Unfortunately it looks like you won't be able to get the complete Sinestro Corps storyline in collected form until June.  I'll repeat my earlier recommendation of Green Lantern: Rebirth in the meantime though, and if you use DC++ at all you could likely track down downloads.  Just be sure to support the books you like with actual purchases when they get collected.

edit:

« Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 03:18:03 PM by Velorath »
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: December 15, 2007, 04:39:07 PM

So, zombie Green Lantern?

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Cim
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: December 15, 2007, 05:18:28 PM

Please, please, please, PLEASE DON'T DO WHAT MARVEL DID!  Or, if you're going to, make sure it doesn't suck.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #13 on: December 16, 2007, 01:56:11 AM

So, zombie Green Lantern?

Black Lanterns, presumably tapping into another part of the color/emotion spectrum.
Cim
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: December 16, 2007, 09:00:21 AM

Oh, cool!

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: December 17, 2007, 08:45:35 AM

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Cim
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: December 25, 2007, 07:47:30 PM

My local comic shop doesn't have any GL comics.  What a bunch of ass holes.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #17 on: December 28, 2007, 02:56:43 AM

My local comic shop doesn't have any GL comics.  What a bunch of ass holes.

Just order trades from amazon then.  Online retailers who stock back issues will absolutely rape you on prices (Mile High Comics is selling some issues of the recent Sinestro Corp arc for $10-20).
Cim
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: February 10, 2008, 11:39:43 AM

Alpha Lanterns? lolwut? WHY?  DO NOT RIP JOHN STEWART APART PLZ.  Gods, I so far behind on this stuff it isn't even funny.  Anyway, so Sinestro is now on death row, and they've killed Abin Sur's kid.  TOO MUCH EXCITEMENT, WHAT ELSE HAVE I MISSED?!   And how can Kyle still tap into the power of the Central Battery? If he could do that the whole time, why did he accept the ring?  Does it have to do with the Starheart power that Jade gave him?  SO CONFUSING I WISH I HADN'T MISSED SO MUCH.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #19 on: February 11, 2008, 08:52:11 AM

Kyle is a Green Lantern with a ring again. Someone else is Ion.

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: February 11, 2008, 03:57:37 PM

All you need to know about GL:

DRILLING AND MANLINESS

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: February 12, 2008, 07:43:17 AM

Black Lanterns ain't the least of it.  We're getting the whole ROYGBIV spectrum!  Rainbow Lanterns, ahoy!

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Cim
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: February 16, 2008, 09:36:31 AM

What? It was just a few months ago that the Torchbearer series came out.  I know that someone else was Ion for a while, but that was during the Sinestro Corps thing and as far as I understood it, he didn't last as long.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #23 on: March 08, 2008, 12:14:16 AM

Green Lantern #28 is effectively serves as the final issue of the epilogue of the Sinestro Corps War, and the lead in to the Secret Origins story arc that kicks off next month, and also starts to set up the Rage of the Red Lantern arc which is coming up somewhere down the road.

I'll admit, I do have an ounce of trepidation when it comes to the War of Light stuff that's building up, with all the new Corps forming.  Having six other Corps out there just seems to make the overall concept of the Green Lanterns a little less unique (of course there have been people who think the Green Lantern Corps makes Hal Jordan (or whoever your GL of choice is) less unique).  Unless they position the GLC as the only Corps that falls firmly into the "Good" catagory, I can't help but wonder if we'll see the GLC book rebranded as simply The Corps, or something similar.  With Jordan, Stewart, Kyle, and Guy all being fairly prominent GL's, will we see any of them being moved to one of the other Leagues to help differentiate them (having one of them receive the Blue ring that Ganthet and Sayd would seem like a good bet)?

Anyway, in regards to issue #28 in particular, we got the revealing of the second law, the creation of the first two Red Lanterns, a hint of someone who might be tapping into the Orange source, and some more talk between Hal and Sinestro.  Geoff Johns is taking the book along at a fairly fast pace.  Not surprising since he wants to be able to introduce each new corp and give them room to breathe a bit before '09 and The Blackest Night.  While the pacing is fast though, the story never seems rushed.  Johns and McKone manage to pack a lot into this issue.  So much so, that its become obvious that Johns has his heart in GL right now so much more than he does in JSA which has been awkwardly limping along since it's relaunch with way too many characters bogging it down (which to be fair I think is partly intentional from the looks of where he's going with it, but in the meantime we're left with only a handful of characters really getting a chance to stand out).
Cim
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: March 09, 2008, 05:30:35 PM

Red lanterns? Blue ring? lolwut?

UnSub
Contributor

Reply #25 on: March 09, 2008, 06:21:47 PM

MightyGodKing did a quick recap of the Sinestro Wars that fills in the blanks for those who didn't read it. I was puzzled by the "so" "damn" "yacht" bit, until I found out the name of the Green Lantern's version of Superman was Sodam Yatt (or whatever it was).

The multi-coloured rings are part of a prophecy that indicate the end times of the at least the Green Lantern Corp, at worst the universe, iirc. I see a retcon coming when this has all been wrapped up.

EDIT - I really should preview my posts.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 05:09:07 PM by UnSub »

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #26 on: March 09, 2008, 10:19:48 PM

Red lanterns? Blue ring? lolwut?

You really need to get caught up.
Cim
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: March 11, 2008, 04:57:08 PM

I've been busy with justice school.  I'm trying, but there's all these curve balls and what not.

OK, so the chick that killed Abin Sur's kid is now a Red Lantern.   That was cool.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 07:44:50 AM by Cim »

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #28 on: October 09, 2008, 03:02:13 AM

The seven part Secret Origin story that just concluded in Green Lantern would be a good jumping on point for new readers when it gets collected into a TPB.  It's a really well done retelling of Hal Jordan's origin, with added elements that tie into Geoff Johns overall story arc (from the time his run started through the upcoming Blackest Night).

Now normally I'm not a big fan of retcons, and especially not retconning origins.  Maybe the Spider Totem bullshit from JMS's Spider-man run has been the perfect example to me of how wrong these kinds of things can go.  The idea that craming stuff into the history of a character that has lasted for decades will somehow make the character more complex and interesting is the height of "not getting it".  Given that, I should hate Secret Origin, but Johns shows that with good writing, and respect for the character retcons can be done right.

In essence this story not only tells the story of how Hal became a Green Lantern, but also goes into more detail on Amon Sur's death, the prophecy of the Blackest Night, the Black Hand's origin, and Hal's friendship with Sinestro.  In fact, it's the bits with Sinestro that really make this arc worth reading.  It's like the whole Obi-Wan/Anakin Skywalker friendship except it's the mentor that ends up turning evil, and this isn't being written by a guy whose best work is around three decades behind him now.

For those who aren't reading GL right now, pick this up and if you like what you see, go back and start with Rebirth and work your way through the rest of Johns' run.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: October 13, 2008, 08:56:56 AM

I agree about origin retcons in general, but also agree that this is an unusually good one. Especially the tighter, more emotionally interesting connection between Sinestro and Hal Jordan, and the extent to which this makes Sinestro more sympathetic.

At the cost of continuing to make the Guardians seem almost actively like bad guys, however. I miss a bit when the Guardians were basically good souls and rather wise, just a bit remote from everyday experience. At this point, they're actively stupid in carrying out their long-term mission, to the point that you wonder why they're doing it at all and especially why they thought that real, living beings were an improvement over the Manhunters.
Cim
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: October 20, 2008, 01:48:58 AM

I was at the book store the other day and had picked up the Green Lantern whatever issue and I saw that they were show Hal's origins.  I thought maybe they had restarted the series all together or something.  Well, I guess they kind of are? :c\

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #31 on: November 02, 2008, 10:19:07 PM

I was at the book store the other day and had picked up the Green Lantern whatever issue and I saw that they were show Hal's origins.  I thought maybe they had restarted the series all together or something.  Well, I guess they kind of are? :c\

Not restarting the series.  They were just retelling the origin as a jumping on point for new readers and tying it into the current storyline.  Final Crisis - Rage of the Red Lanterns (which just came out last Wednesday) just kicked off the next arc leading up to the Blackest Night with the Red Lanterns going on the offensive against both the Green Lanterns and the Sinestro Corps (we also see the first member of a new Corps).
Cim
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: November 03, 2008, 12:51:05 AM

Man, this is awesome, I can't wait for blackest night. 

I want to see the Blue Lanterns now.  I hope they replace the Green Lanterns.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 11:07:16 PM by Cim »

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: November 05, 2008, 12:59:54 PM

There's a Blue Lantern at the end of the first issue of Rage of the Red Lanterns.

Johns isn't doing so hot when it comes to composing oaths for the newer Lantern Corps, imho.
Cim
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: November 05, 2008, 10:41:05 PM

I don't go anywhere often enough to see comics, I've been keeping up thanks to what people put online xD

I saw the Blue Lanterns from that peak at War of the Lanterns on that two page spread.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: ION  
Jump to: