Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 04, 2024, 12:40:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Champions Online: The No-NDA Merged Edition 0 Members and 15 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 74 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Champions Online: The No-NDA Merged Edition  (Read 822682 times)
Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #2100 on: October 20, 2009, 07:27:02 AM

Dude get the sand out of your vagina.  Read the first part of my post, they are working on it.  Plus they have given out 3 full free retcons already, and they have lowered retcon purchases in-game.  Are you new to MMO's? If you think "balance" is achieved in beta in any MMO, then you are very mistaken.  At least you have the option to completely redo a character, which in 90% of games you have no option but to suck it up with class changes.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 08:30:05 AM by Bandit »
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #2101 on: October 20, 2009, 07:54:33 AM

I can't see myself buying anything at the C store, I'm not against micro-trans but if I'm paying $15 dollars a month I don't see any reason to give them more money.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #2102 on: October 20, 2009, 08:13:18 AM

Fire and forget, diku MMO with sub and store.  Woot.  Worst of all worlds.

"Me am play gods"
Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #2103 on: October 20, 2009, 08:46:41 AM

I am becoming to Champions what gutboy barrelhouse is to SWG.

I have a couple of 14-day trial buddy keys if anyone is interested.  Just send me a PM.
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #2104 on: October 20, 2009, 08:53:39 AM

I would like to take a chance to see this after beta.

What i did see was not that worthwhile during beta, but I would like to see how it's changed. I wrote a beta impression in the Corp forum, that I'd like the opportunity to retract or say I told you so with.

I used to write for extinct gaming sites
details available here (unused blog about page)
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #2105 on: October 20, 2009, 09:04:25 AM

I am becoming to Champions what gutboy barrelhouse is to SWG.
That's really not a good thing.  Given you are aware of this predicament I suggest bailing before it's too late.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #2106 on: October 20, 2009, 09:13:25 AM

See, the thing that's bad about microtransactions on some of these things is the moral hazard they present to developers. If you set a fee that's very nearly a month's subscription revenue for a full retcon, for example, and you hold the line hard on not giving free retcons, it's very nearly an invitation to frequently change the basic functionality of powersets/character abilities if you've already given up on retaining anything but a very small, intensely loyal core of players. In fact, this is arguably the way you stay in the black if you think you've got a playerbase that won't give up no matter what you do to them: keep giving them a reason to pay a double or triple sub-price without appearing as if that's what you're purposely doing.

Microtransactions for frills is one thing: microtransactions for mechanics which are central to gameplay are another. The latter open up temptations even to dev teams that are doing their best to make the best possible product. As Tazelbain said, this is especially the case if you're already charging a premium subscription fee.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #2107 on: October 20, 2009, 09:39:39 AM

Worse, even if the devs are against it, the option becomes available to the suits who only view players as numbers.

Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #2108 on: October 20, 2009, 09:40:21 AM

That's really not a good thing.  Given you are aware of this predicament I suggest bailing before it's too late.

I guess, but the thing is I don't see it that way....I am having fun with it.  I feel the need to play and follow development, which I haven't for MMO in a while.  I am broken it seems.  Are there problems? for sure with out a doubt.  Buggy quests, laggy lemuria, lack of real teaming options, and lack of content (although I really only found that around level 30-33).  The combat is fun, and that is the #1 appealing factor for me as it stands.  The superb character creation is icing on the cake for me.

See, the thing that's bad about microtransactions on some of these things is the moral hazard they present to developers. If you set a fee that's very nearly a month's subscription revenue for a full retcon, for example, and you hold the line hard on not giving free retcons, it's very nearly an invitation to frequently change the basic functionality of powersets/character abilities if you've already given up on retaining anything but a very small, intensely loyal core of players. In fact, this is arguably the way you stay in the black if you think you've got a playerbase that won't give up no matter what you do to them: keep giving them a reason to pay a double or triple sub-price without appearing as if that's what you're purposely doing.

Microtransactions for frills is one thing: microtransactions for mechanics which are central to gameplay are another. The latter open up temptations even to dev teams that are doing their best to make the best possible product. As Tazelbain said, this is especially the case if you're already charging a premium subscription fee.

Your concern is understood, and concur that microstransactions could become a nickel and diming situation esepcially considering there is a subscription.  I just want to point out that I haven't really needed to retcon at all thus far, I guess I have been lucky that they haven't fundamentally changed any of my characters.  Free retcons is a sticky situation though.  Let's say they gave them out in LOTRO - I could basically take my max level captain and make him a max level minstrel, for $12 bucks or for free because they changed a captain skill (which they have made fundamental changes to captain skills in LOTRO).  You don't see the issue here from a business standpoint? Most games don't even have this option and you have to roll with the punches, start an alt or quit. However, since CO has the option people cry foul with a sense of entitlement.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #2109 on: October 20, 2009, 10:57:05 AM

I guess, but the thing is I don't see it that way....I am having fun with it.  I feel the need to play and follow development, which I haven't for MMO in a while.  I am broken it seems.  Are there problems? for sure with out a doubt.  Buggy quests, laggy lemuria, lack of real teaming options, and lack of content (although I really only found that around level 30-33).  The combat is fun, and that is the #1 appealing factor for me as it stands.  The superb character creation is icing on the cake for me.

This is pretty much how I am looking at CO right now.  I enjoy playing.  I don't feel compelled to play 24 hours a day, but I do enjoy playing a couple hours every other day or so.  Good enough for me right now, especially since there isn't much else MMO wise that I feel like playing right now.  I mean, I like EVE a lot, but I don't have the time to devote to it right now anyway.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #2110 on: October 20, 2009, 11:56:13 AM

If you're having fun then that's great.  You're getting your money's worth.

It only becomes a problem when you espouse its virtues without being able to see and discuss any of its flaws.  That's the difference between my (and several others') love of the old SWG and our resident player whom you were concerned about becoming.

caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #2111 on: October 20, 2009, 04:18:31 PM

Price dropped to $40 on Steam and for the boxed copy at GameStop.  Hell, Amazon has it at about $35.

Countdown-to-bargain-bin GO!

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #2112 on: October 20, 2009, 04:30:00 PM

A monthly subscription for an awesome character creator strikes me as a sub-par deal. YMMV, but I'd say that about a furry too.

rolleyes

kinda
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #2113 on: October 20, 2009, 05:44:15 PM

There was an email circulating around at work about two weeks after launch that had it discounted to $5.00 at a Gamestop.

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #2114 on: October 20, 2009, 06:44:51 PM

Dude get the sand out of your vagina.  Read the first part of my post, they are working on it.  Plus they have given out 3 full free retcons already, and they have lowered retcon purchases in-game.

They didn't even attempt to balance powers in beta. Leaving it to live, especially with a massive power-nerf on launch day, removes any sympathy I might have had for these guys. The fact they reduced retcon doesn't change the fact they reduced it from insane to punitive. If it were translated into hours of gaming for a full retcon you'd have Aion players grimacing. Making it so they can profit from their incompetence is just the wrong direction entirely.

The core problem is their respec system is broken by design. When they change power effects you have to pay increasing costs to respec out of each power bought since you made that decision. And in the case of something like movement powers or superstats that's really early in a character development. Thus they can't differentiate between the FotM switchers (though that's their balance problem too) and those correcting one nerfed power purchased early, they both look like a full respec. If they'd actually allow you to pay an increasing amount per power modified but freely select which power is modified first the system would not be so broken, they wouldn't have to be giving out free respecs and the C-store could go back to being a useless addition for ugly vanity pets.

That said, it's pretty irrelevant. The possibility of CO maturing into something interesting is marginal.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #2115 on: October 20, 2009, 10:08:45 PM

If they'd actually allow you to pay an increasing amount per power modified but freely select which power is modified first the system would not be so broken, they wouldn't have to be giving out free respecs and the C-store could go back to being a useless addition for ugly vanity pets.

I definitely agree that's how it should work.  Hopefully that is how it evolves.  They didn't even have full retcon developed until 1 or 2 weeks into live, so maybe they are moving towards that.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #2116 on: October 20, 2009, 10:10:39 PM

I also still like ChampO, but the game has a number of significant flaws that probably will never be shaken out. But if only they could get the graphics working correctly on my PC on anything other than safe mode. If only.

I also find it interesting in comparing to the Aion (?) thread where the discussion is on what to do when everyone can heal. ChampO (especially post-Blood Moon) has part of that answer. It also helps provide an answer to "what happens in a game without classes?". Answer: balance nightmare. Although I certainly wished for more control in being able to build your own powers, I can only imagine how badly that system would have been abused in ChampO.

ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #2117 on: October 20, 2009, 11:23:54 PM

I'm not a proponent of skill-based systems, but to be fair this particular balance nightmare was more a matter of "Cryptic can't balance" than "classless systems can't be balanced." Remember when they changed their spreadsheets and sent the changes to live without anybody looking at the actual powers affected?
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #2118 on: October 21, 2009, 05:50:54 AM

It's a bad collision between "developers who are pretty amateurish about live management" and "system to which the normal logic of balancing doesn't really apply very well".
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #2119 on: October 24, 2009, 04:22:31 PM

Not sure what they did but the game is more fun to play now.  Aggro radius seems lessened and mob hit points seem reduced.  I can actually fight three mobs without another group of three mobs rushing in.  Big to me.  However, there is a slight 'hitch' when I move the camera.  It's small but it's annoying.  I am spoiled by the butter smooth performance of WoW. 

Loot seems abundant and useless.  I hate upgrading mystic items on my science/power suit guy, seems goofy.  I have canceled but thanks to a neat trick they do I got charged for another month.  So I will cancel again but will keep an eye on the game, it does have potential. Yeah I said it. 
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #2120 on: October 27, 2009, 05:57:14 AM

That didn't take long:    

Play for Free, All Weekend

From Friday, October 30th, until Monday, November 2nd, come play Champions Online ... for free! Check out the plethora of changes to the game, including new missions, new powers and the free Blood Moon content update.

Check out our free weekend promotional page on the official Champions Online website to get started.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #2121 on: October 27, 2009, 06:03:20 AM

I think they need to look up "plethora" in the dictionary.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #2122 on: October 27, 2009, 12:40:05 PM

I think they need to look up "plethora" in the dictionary.
Given how often they changed things in late beta it's probably applicable...

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #2123 on: October 27, 2009, 02:18:56 PM

Blood Moon patch is out.  Its actually pretty decent. 
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #2124 on: October 31, 2009, 09:32:25 AM

Free trial on steam this weekend.

Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #2125 on: October 31, 2009, 10:10:18 AM

I have no desire to log on and check it out. How sad.

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
Kovacs
Terracotta Army

Reply #2126 on: October 31, 2009, 04:20:12 PM

I'm simply wondering how long it took them to design a movement system that is actually more annoying than click to move.  Maybe it's becasue I'm a left handed mouser but fuck moving and looking around is just horrific. 
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #2127 on: October 31, 2009, 04:29:42 PM

I'm simply wondering how long it took them to design a movement system that is actually more annoying than click to move.  Maybe it's becasue I'm a left handed mouser but fuck moving and looking around is just horrific. 

Its pretty much like every other MMO I've seen? 
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #2128 on: October 31, 2009, 06:14:06 PM

Other MMOs don't charge you cash to fix  mistakes. Yours or theirs.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #2129 on: October 31, 2009, 06:16:41 PM

What has this got to do with him complaining about the movement system?
Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #2130 on: October 31, 2009, 07:50:14 PM

Other MM0s don't give you the option, you have to suck it up.  CO gives you the option, and you still bitch. 

I second the movement issues, how is it any different than every other MMO?

Seriously, there are a lot of things wrong with CO...but retcon and movement are non-issues as far as I am concerned.

Bloodmoon is pretty solid.  My only gripe being the 13 undead heroe crypts...two maps rotated between all 13.  The BITE (hunter-werewolf PVP) is pretty fun.
Kovacs
Terracotta Army

Reply #2131 on: October 31, 2009, 11:00:30 PM

I can't get the damn camera to stay over the shoulder with mouselook options.  I stays facing the same direction regardless of character facing.  How is that like every other mmo?That and the old TR wonder of not being able to move forward with inventory open.  Wonderful.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 11:17:36 PM by Kovacs »
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #2132 on: November 01, 2009, 12:06:10 AM

I can't get the damn camera to stay over the shoulder with mouselook options.  I stays facing the same direction regardless of character facing.  How is that like every other mmo?That and the old TR wonder of not being able to move forward with inventory open.  Wonderful.

Unless something broke with Bloodmoon, neither of those issues ever happened to me when I played CO (I am not currently playing because I am trapped on a laptop until mid November. :(((((( ).

God Save the Horn Players
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #2133 on: November 01, 2009, 01:48:35 AM

Wow, for serious? Did it default to locking the camera during movement? Because mine would bounce back to over-the-shoulder, and I couldn't find a way to change that.

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #2134 on: November 01, 2009, 05:42:55 AM

I haven't had either of these problems. 
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 74 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Champions Online: The No-NDA Merged Edition  
Jump to: