Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 04, 2024, 12:11:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Champions Online: The No-NDA Merged Edition 0 Members and 12 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 74 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Champions Online: The No-NDA Merged Edition  (Read 822638 times)
Valmorian
Terracotta Army

Reply #1785 on: September 09, 2009, 12:16:30 PM

Here's a combo that will likely get nerfed: Teleport+Heal.

When I get into a lot of trouble, I can just teleport in spot without moving, and use my heal on myself while I'm "phased".  I pop back in full health, which is usually enough to last until I can teleport again..

Anyway.. had a lot of fun last night fighting a boss ghost hangman guy in Burnside with some pickup players and someone from here, but I can't recall the name.. Morv?
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #1786 on: September 09, 2009, 01:19:39 PM

When I get into a lot of trouble, I can just teleport in spot without moving, and use my heal on myself while I'm "phased".  I pop back in full health, which is usually enough to last until I can teleport again..

Anyway.. had a lot of fun last night fighting a boss ghost hangman guy in Burnside with some pickup players and someone from here, but I can't recall the name.. Morv?

The question becomes, how to you balance power combos without hurting other combos.  Unless you add conditionals to everything like "heal goes on a cooldown after someone uses teleport", otherwise you are giving a general nerf to teleport or heal, which hurts a bunch of players who are playing perfectly "balanced" builds.

Anyway, its an inherent problem in systems like this, but I don't mind imbalances when it gives a lot of options for play.
Valmorian
Terracotta Army

Reply #1787 on: September 09, 2009, 01:33:32 PM

The question becomes, how to you balance power combos without hurting other combos.  Unless you add conditionals to everything like "heal goes on a cooldown after someone uses teleport", otherwise you are giving a general nerf to teleport or heal, which hurts a bunch of players who are playing perfectly "balanced" builds.

Anyway, its an inherent problem in systems like this, but I don't mind imbalances when it gives a lot of options for play.

I don't think you follow me.  I was healing while I was "teleporting".  That is, when you teleport you are basically invulnerable and flying off to your destination by your own control.  You can actually use your heal power while doing this.

Basically it's a big "Make me invulnerable while I heal myself to full" toggle.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #1788 on: September 09, 2009, 02:29:25 PM

When I get into a lot of trouble, I can just teleport in spot without moving, and use my heal on myself while I'm "phased".  I pop back in full health, which is usually enough to last until I can teleport again..

If I were a superhero and had teleport I'd wonder why there's no "Teleport other".

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #1789 on: September 09, 2009, 05:28:09 PM

Free retcon for all with no time limit. Squeee.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #1790 on: September 09, 2009, 06:00:46 PM

Free retcon for all with no time limit. Squeee.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Someone learned from Guild Wars someone learned from Guild Wars. I'm going to sub to this game because they have provided me a truly historic moment.

Wait one time only? Fail. Wow that would have been the second fastest un-sub if I had buyed the game. Ok this game is still on my " when it releases and I won't care" list.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 06:08:20 PM by DLRiley »
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #1791 on: September 09, 2009, 06:17:50 PM

You mean, how you can't save up your retcons? I don't see that as a big deal. If/when they change things significantly to call for another retcon, you'll get another retcon. Shrug.

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #1792 on: September 09, 2009, 06:26:47 PM

Well the ability to freely change skills, talent trees, and basically mold your character arbitrarily then rebuild him again at no cost is generally a sign of a smart dev team. Without such your basically in the stone ages if your serious about convincing me your building games for the year 2009 and not 2003.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #1793 on: September 09, 2009, 07:28:33 PM

Well the ability to freely change skills, talent trees, and basically mold your character arbitrarily then rebuild him again at no cost is generally a sign of a smart dev team. Without such your basically in the stone ages if your serious about convincing me your building games for the year 2009 and not 2003.

With a game like ChampO, if you allow full respecs easily you are going to see players just churn through powers on one character, which is going to eat into what Cryptic would see as replayability based off their CoH/V experience. That said, I do think they should have full respecs available at the tailor, just make them expensive in terms of in-game resources (and right now respecs only go back the last 10 choices are are cripplingly expensive - it's a noted issue regarding the expense).

However, Cryptic did the same thing originally with CoH/V too - I don't think it launched with respecs, then the respec trials came in so that there were only 3 possibilities in-game for any kind of respec, then came the single free respec that wouldn't stack. Today, there are respecs everywhere - you can repeat the respec trial if you want - and you can even buy them from the NCsoft store for rl money.

MxO had the best respec system I've seen in a title, but that worked on very fixed ability trees. ChampO's power flexibility doesn't open itself up to that kind of full change very easily.

Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #1794 on: September 09, 2009, 09:04:48 PM

I'm just watching the forums for when people hit 40 and realise there's nothing much there. With limited replayability, repetitive power sets, reasonably fast progression (despite their nerf) and no end-game retention is likely to be a real problem. Some people are reaching it already of course.

Unity missions need a lot of work. There's no way I'm grinding 125 mind-numbingly easy boring missions to get a secondary utility that adds an additional 5 end and 7 recovery to my 200+ super stats so that I can get "better" at grinding mind-numbingly easy missions.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #1795 on: September 10, 2009, 03:42:53 AM

I don't see that as a big deal. If/when they change things significantly to call for another retcon, you'll get another retcon. Shrug.
What the developer sees are significant enough to warrant a retcon and what the individual player does, are often entirely different things. With consensus taking multiple forum threads to achieve, if there's one at all.
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #1796 on: September 10, 2009, 09:44:33 AM

I'm just watching the forums for when people hit 40 and realise there's nothing much there. With limited replayability, repetitive power sets, reasonably fast progression (despite their nerf) and no end-game retention is likely to be a real problem. Some people are reaching it already of course.

Unity missions need a lot of work. There's no way I'm grinding 125 mind-numbingly easy boring missions to get a secondary utility that adds an additional 5 end and 7 recovery to my 200+ super stats so that I can get "better" at grinding mind-numbingly easy missions.

Those kinds of people should give up MMORPGs altogether.

Not that they would...

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #1797 on: September 10, 2009, 06:50:24 PM

From a really high level point of view :)

But in practice it's all about the "meat" that is on the bare bones. And Champions wasn't even trying. When it's a map full of featureless caverns with identical clumps of trivial mobs and completion earns you .1% towards your goal it's not long before even the most tolerant wonder why they're bothering. Especially since there's no content that requires or becomes available when the character progresses.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #1798 on: September 10, 2009, 07:27:58 PM

The lack of content is definitely the biggest issue with the game, but I do like the combat, and thats more than I can say about most MMOs, which is why I'm playing.

Also, the customization is excellent, giving me enough replayability in different characters to keep me satisfied until more content gets released.  Of course, if more content doesn't come in a reasonable time frame, I'll be unhappy.

Anyway, I guess I understand why people don't really like CO, but to me it has enough positives to keep me interested for now.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1799 on: September 11, 2009, 10:17:09 AM

Yeah, I agree.  I've been screwing around with this a fair amount lately and this one has some real potential to it.  It's not quite the turd that War was.  They do have some issues with community and it would have been a lot better to have dedicated servers for each toon, but hey.  It's keeping me interested so far. 
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #1800 on: September 11, 2009, 12:10:25 PM

I find myself wishing I could take their character 'class' model and put it into CoH's setting. Canadian seperatist militias aside, the lore and enemies in CoH are a lot more interesting. I like the 'framework' design for characters though, and I like that you can freely mix and match stuff, and that the tank/dps/support roles are something that everyone can swap in or out of (to an extent.)

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #1801 on: September 11, 2009, 02:17:18 PM

You mean, how you can't save up your retcons? I don't see that as a big deal. If/when they change things significantly to call for another retcon, you'll get another retcon. Shrug.

This is exactly like CoH, only as time goes on and they allow new methods by which players recieve retcons, you'll find they get put into a separate 'slot'.

Assuming this goes down the same path, the playerbase will bitch for a few months, but once the game is 9 months in, everyone bar the spreadsheet freaks will have more retcons than they know what to do with.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #1802 on: September 11, 2009, 02:31:59 PM

Shit, me and my buddy is wondering whether we should take the plunge, but hearing all the launch issues he said he's rather wait for a free trial period before splashing some cash. So if you guys got any buddy keys lying around, I'd really love to take a peek at the game.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #1803 on: September 11, 2009, 05:59:45 PM

I find myself wishing I could take their character 'class' model and put it into CoH's setting. Canadian seperatist militias aside, the lore and enemies in CoH are a lot more interesting. I like the 'framework' design for characters though, and I like that you can freely mix and match stuff, and that the tank/dps/support roles are something that everyone can swap in or out of (to an extent.)

I would like it to also be in CoX's graphics, perhaps updated a little but still in that style. With CoX's costume pieces. I don't really care that the faces all look the same in CO, but I DO care that there feels like there's GIANT GAPS in certain costumey areas. For my warmly dressed hero Snow Day I can't dress her in GIANT FAT COMBAT BOOTS or provide her with GIANT WARM GLOVES like I could in CoX. I also hate the skirts in CO. The "short" ones are too freaking short and the medium ones are too long for the look I want. I don't NEED my ass hanging out of my skirt, goddammit.

On the other hand, I have made some costumes I really do like, and I like that I can change how I stand (although the "vixen" one looks stupid, at least I don't have to stand that way). But it just often feels like I have to settle when I'm trying to recreate a CoX hero I made, and that makes me sad.

God Save the Horn Players
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #1804 on: September 11, 2009, 07:06:40 PM

On the female side, there's a real lack of anything civilian-y or that shows skin without being ridiculous.  I was pretty happy with what I was able to whip up, but I definitely felt a touch more constrained with CO's character creation.  I definitely don't feel like I could do a secret-identity costume or even clone a Jenny Sparks (or Ms. Marvel without looking horrible).

That's not to say I think it's "bad", the graphics are "prettier", but it's not a the huge leap that something like APB is looking like, or that CoH was back in the day.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 07:08:27 PM by caladein »

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #1805 on: September 12, 2009, 07:24:47 AM

Been looking for an offline character planner. Anyone knows where to get those? Been doing google but site seems down.

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #1806 on: September 12, 2009, 07:28:29 AM

Been looking for an offline character planner. Anyone knows where to get those? Been doing google but site seems down.

http://champions.zarzu.ch/download.html
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #1807 on: September 12, 2009, 07:33:03 AM

yeah i kept getting that site but whenever i click on it, i get a server time out for some reason

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #1808 on: September 12, 2009, 07:53:28 AM

works fine for me.  Here is a link to the .exe for the installer, maybe it'll work.

http://champions.zarzu.ch/championBuilder_0_3_2_setup.exe
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #1809 on: September 12, 2009, 09:27:52 AM

no luck,. could u maybe re-host the file on mediafire or something? I kept looking for a mirror to no avail.  swamp poop

Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #1810 on: September 12, 2009, 12:02:39 PM

no luck,. could u maybe re-host the file on mediafire or something? I kept looking for a mirror to no avail.  swamp poop

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1329267/championBuilder_0_3_2.zip

There you go.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #1811 on: September 12, 2009, 12:35:23 PM

To the people saying all the faces look the same:

I just found these in a thread on the official forums, not mine.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 12:37:51 PM by Malakili »
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #1812 on: September 12, 2009, 01:37:04 PM

I suspect the half-assed outcome is the result of listening to too many whiny complaining dipshits on forums when they were experimenting with the cel-shader. They got caught between no cel-shading, and fully assed cel-shading, ended up being fucked in the face with the worst of both worlds.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 10:38:29 PM by schild »

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #1813 on: September 12, 2009, 02:28:46 PM

All my complaints apply to the female side of things, and that lady face? Pretty much looks like my ladies. I don't have the GRR ANGRY eyebrows on any of my girls, although I do have the bushy ones on one of them.

God Save the Horn Players
Redgiant
Terracotta Army

Reply #1814 on: September 12, 2009, 02:58:27 PM

Hey you are right - nondescript female, black male and white male faces do sort of look different. Kinda.

Not like in RL where women, black men and white men all look alike.  Ohhhhh, I see.

A FUCKING COMPANY IS AT STEAK
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1815 on: September 12, 2009, 03:01:43 PM

It is nearly impossible to change the female face to any extent without without making it look ugly.

That one doesn't look all that different to me.  You can even show pictures where people managed it (though I'd be surprised).  It doesn't change the difficulty for someone to do it themselves.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1816 on: September 12, 2009, 03:27:27 PM

I have gotten some different-looking female faces through making them very long and thin and then exaggerating the expressions. The result isn't ugly as much as it is severe, kind of a sort of librarian-dominatrix face.
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #1817 on: September 12, 2009, 05:11:42 PM

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1329267/championBuilder_0_3_2.zip

There you go.

Thanks man!

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #1818 on: September 12, 2009, 05:56:08 PM

It is nearly impossible to change the female face to any extent without without making it look ugly.

That one doesn't look all that different to me.  You can even show pictures where people managed it (though I'd be surprised).  It doesn't change the difficulty for someone to do it themselves.
On the other hand, it's just being true to comic books:

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1819 on: September 12, 2009, 08:36:23 PM

I have found male faces to be fairly customizable, but you must use extremes on the sliders.  

« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 08:40:15 PM by Bandit »
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 74 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Champions Online: The No-NDA Merged Edition  
Jump to: