Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 04, 2024, 12:45:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Champions Online: The No-NDA Merged Edition 0 Members and 19 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 74 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Champions Online: The No-NDA Merged Edition  (Read 822690 times)
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1575 on: August 31, 2009, 10:34:18 AM

I totally agree. But beyond a couple lightly busted quests I've not found any bugs. I wish I had; that would change things. But as it is it's a slightly under inspired but fun superhero romp.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #1576 on: August 31, 2009, 10:35:56 AM

To be fair - has any MMO ever been on par with a really good single player RPG?  I'd vote no, personally.  I'm sure there's some really deep Why Do People Even Bother With Shite MMOs In The First Place argument to be made here.  

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Montague
Terracotta Army

Reply #1577 on: August 31, 2009, 10:38:25 AM

Yeah shoddy isn't a word I would use - I've had one hard lock in 20+ hours of play and no major bugs (other than maybe the respec cost one.)

Less ambitious might be more applicable, and since they didn't have Paul Barnett douche-nozzling everyone into thinking this was the next robot jesus I'm ok with that.

When Fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross - Sinclair Lewis.

I can tell more than 1 fucktard at a time to stfu, have no fears. - WayAbvPar

We all have the God-given right to go to hell our own way.  Don't fuck with God's plan. - MahrinSkel
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #1578 on: August 31, 2009, 10:51:06 AM

Put me in the "what bugs?" camp.  I just haven't had any problems.

Also, crappy single player games ship all the time.  Just look in "Is it Fun" for a list of crappy single player games that some folks, for some reason, find fun and continue to play.  There's an ass-load of single player games that ship and people say they suck and then they move on.

For some reason MMOs tend to get more hate.  Maybe it's because they are more expensive and take longer to make.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #1579 on: August 31, 2009, 11:24:14 AM

To be fair - has any MMO ever been on par with a really good single player RPG?  I'd vote no, personally.

I would say that the Wrath of the Lich King expansion was the first to do so. But thats an expansion, not a brand new birth.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #1580 on: August 31, 2009, 12:05:14 PM

The first time I subbed to CoX, I lasted 3 months.

The second time, 2 months.

The third... 2 weeks.

The fourth... 4 days.

CO held me for about two weeks.  I see where this is heading. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #1581 on: August 31, 2009, 12:17:41 PM

The last time I subbed to CoX, I logged in ONCE!   swamp poop  I played CO for a few days, maybe a few hours all told.  I have the game but I haven't even logged in for the head start.  It's not motivating me at all. 

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #1582 on: August 31, 2009, 01:35:19 PM

For some reason MMOs tend to get more hate.  Maybe it's because they are more expensive and take longer to make.

Because the early days of MMOs had a constant feedback loop between developers and the community, as an extension of the even early MUD days. Find any other genre that had that direct dialog. They're all too mature to allow players the belief they are part of the design process.

And that's come to MMOs as well, at least the successful ones. A community is best when it's tasked with tweaking an assumption. But the opportunity is only best when the assumption is correct in the first place. The filtering process is getting better at preventing good money from being thrown at bad ideas (far from perfect of course). And the rise of that filter is inversely proportional to how involved your average forum poster is to the creation process.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1583 on: August 31, 2009, 01:37:23 PM

Signe said the appropriate word:  "Motivation."  When playing it I had trouble figuring out what the game was missing, but that's pretty much it.
You just have no real motivation to do anything, unless you're itchin for that next round of grind-quests.  The itemization sux and there are no real engrossing questlines or instance dungeons that make you want to get better.

And therein to me lies the problem with ChampO.  I mean, if you can hang in there until endgame and pray they inject interesting content - fine.  But, I shouldnt have to tear my hair out in the lvl grind to do-so.  If the itemization was more meaningful perhaps it'd take up the slack, but it's not and the economy is largely nonexistent.  So meh.   Reminds me of Tabula Rasa actually.

Fun shoot em up for a while, but it'll taper off seriously after 1 month.
Is it worth the box price to be able to have the supers toolset??  probably.  A sub?  not so much.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #1584 on: August 31, 2009, 01:39:34 PM

Is it worth the box price to be able to have the supers toolset??  probably.  A sub?  not so much.

It would be if there was a Bo Staff weapon option right, right?  why so serious?
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1585 on: August 31, 2009, 01:59:56 PM

It would be if there was a Bo Staff weapon option right, right?  why so serious?

Alas, even a Bo staff isnt worth a sub. fee.
btw; is the 1st month free or not?

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #1586 on: August 31, 2009, 08:11:29 PM

First 30 days is part of the box cost, afaik.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1587 on: September 01, 2009, 08:07:52 AM

What's my motivation, man??
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #1588 on: September 01, 2009, 09:28:09 AM

Jack did it again awesome, for real.    Day 1 and they just released a patch that has probably outdone Enhancement Diversification for overall nerfage.    Forums are asploding.   I want to feel outraged but it's just so damn funny.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1589 on: September 01, 2009, 09:35:35 AM

Do you mean like this?  Because I can't read all of that.  The last page definitely calls for rolling back the patch, though.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1590 on: September 01, 2009, 09:38:58 AM

I found this and I see what is going on now.  CO is Warhammering itself, apparently.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1591 on: September 01, 2009, 09:48:20 AM

Can I say, "I told you so," yet or should I wait a little while?

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1592 on: September 01, 2009, 09:48:55 AM

Might as well get it in now while anyone cares about the game.

Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #1593 on: September 01, 2009, 10:09:07 AM

Can I say, "I told you so," yet or should I wait a little while?

I think you should give Jack and Roper a bit more time to dig this hole deeper.  I'm betting the Dev response to criticism will be epic for at least another day.  Then you can really grind it in when you say it.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #1594 on: September 01, 2009, 10:11:56 AM

Could someone of stronger fortitude than I post a few of the more choice examples?

These little blow-ups are really why I even follow MMO's any more.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
chargerrich
Terracotta Army

Reply #1595 on: September 01, 2009, 10:20:38 AM

I am not an alt guy- I want to level up ONE guy and use him.

God I WISH I was this way... My WoW career equates to:

* 4 Accounts
* 7 level 70-79s
* 4 level 80s
* 0 level 80s in full Tier 9 gear

ACK!

Fake Edit: Can I still get a lifetime sub or are they gone?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 10:23:32 AM by chargerrich »
dEOS
Terracotta Army

Reply #1596 on: September 01, 2009, 10:28:51 AM

CoX subscriber for 53+ months... I know. Still subscribed. It's still cool and I have a bunch of high-levels that play very differently. Quite bored on the level grind though.
I picked up CO and took a lifetime subscription. I need a change of pace, see new faces and more importantly new sceneries.

Major issues I have with the current state of the game:
- interface is fugly fugly fugly... and borderline unreadable with its pretend-comicsbook look
- Supernatural/regeneration is a must-have power. So broken, it's not even funny. My character took it after a respec. From super-gimp (DB/LightningReflex), I became instantly super mega powerful (DB/Regen). I only have one problem now, I am careless about aggro when before I was cautious about 2 mobs packed together. A nerf is due on this power... but that would bring everyone back to gimpness.
- Crafting is cryptic (ahah!)
- Everybody is basically soloing, no teaming incentive (see /regen comment) at least pre-level 20. Seems to change later on as /regen becomes less powerful. Makes for leveling a support toon from the ground up a difficult endeavor.
- Non-forum readers will have a hard time figuring out the game (cryptic!)

On the other hand, it has neat things going for it:
- one server, even if heavily instanced
- 3 languages support from the ground up (I am French, started playing with the EN interface, recently switched to French)
- lots of costume options
- quests are quite original (based on my WoW/CoX/AC1/AC2 experience)
- lots of activity going on around you

Edit: Apparently, nerfs and boards outrage ongoing. Grab popcorn.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 10:32:32 AM by dEOS »

CoH - Freedom
WoW - EU Servers - Sargeras [French-PvP]
Montague
Terracotta Army

Reply #1597 on: September 01, 2009, 10:55:03 AM

I haven't played yet today (still at work) but some sort of nerfage was necessary.

Fight Club is supposed to be a level 17 instance recommended for 3 people. My wife (hardly a minmaxer) is a Might tank and I'm Fire DPS with a splash of healing at level 17, so we tried it with just the two of us. We started off being careful by using LOS pulling and me holding back to allow her to get sufficient aggro, etc. But after the first two pulls she just dove in and I AOE'd the shit out of everything. The only death was when we thought we had cleaned the place out and I found a stray supervillain in a side room that she couldnt taunt off me. Even then I just rezzed, came back to the fight, healed her and then blasted everything dead.

Out in the open I just open up with energy builder and then Conflagrate. Anything short of Master Villain level is dead within 3 seconds. And a fire DPS build with Fireform was supposed to be one of the weaker builds.

So yeah, anyone with a smidge of MMO experience had to know something like this was coming.  
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 10:56:42 AM by Montague »

When Fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross - Sinclair Lewis.

I can tell more than 1 fucktard at a time to stfu, have no fears. - WayAbvPar

We all have the God-given right to go to hell our own way.  Don't fuck with God's plan. - MahrinSkel
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #1598 on: September 01, 2009, 11:01:30 AM

Wow THIS is an insane amount of nerfing with no real testing. Also offering no respec to people is just beyond stupid with these massive changes.

*edit*

I was fully planning on buying this today, now I dont know if I will. I liked that it was very fast paced and easy to pick up and put down.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1599 on: September 01, 2009, 11:11:43 AM

Fight Club's problem has nothing to do with the uber/nerfness of a player.  It has everything to do with the stupidity of the level.  Mobs are too weak and the level too short and bland.  And no matter how difficult something is, if you allow them to respawn 2 feet away with no penalty - there's just no challenge nor reason to even group (or even to go into the instance in the 1st place... just fuckin delete the mission)

It just turns into a grind instance.  errrr a grindstance
The act of walking/flying/jumping to the instance door is more exciting than the actual mission.  awesome, for real   So why even do it?

edit:
wait wait wait, did I read correctly that they nerfed QUEST-SHARING??  Are they for real?  Seems you can no longer share quests!   awesome, for real
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 11:15:12 AM by Ghambit »

rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #1600 on: September 01, 2009, 11:12:42 AM

It looks a lot like the first year of CoH nerfs, all scrunched together. And isn't beta where sweeping changes are supposed to be, not between open beta (marketing) and launch? I wonder how much nerdrage it will generate in the people who shelled out for lifetime or 6 months.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1601 on: September 01, 2009, 11:16:23 AM

LMAO
I sowiee... I gotta post again.  They... nerfed... quest-sharing  LMAO

And with basically no possibility of soloing, long spawncamp queues, and a large chunk of quest objectives unshareable, this is just classic.  Moreso since the chat UI and grouping mechanics suck ass. 
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 11:20:52 AM by Ghambit »

Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #1602 on: September 01, 2009, 11:19:02 AM

Popcorn

Roper brings the best drama.  I'm glad I'm zero for two on his latest wrecks.  Oh hey, both of which had lifetime options.
Arrrgh
Terracotta Army

Reply #1603 on: September 01, 2009, 11:22:51 AM

It's an improvement over CoH. At least they didn't make people grind to the level cap and THEN nerf them to uselessness.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1604 on: September 01, 2009, 11:27:41 AM

No, I find out literally as I walk in the door from buying it. Well, I wasn't expecting more than a month anyway.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1605 on: September 01, 2009, 11:34:21 AM

What's even more funny is they're not giving free respecs. heheheheh
It'd be funnier if they did this like a week from now though.  In reality, it's not that painful to just reroll a toon at this point.  But now, you're just turned into a pigeon-holed mix-maxer in order to effectively play the game it seems.  And for a Champions IP designed around a 4-color supers premise (rather than gritty), it kinda defeats the purpose.

Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1606 on: September 01, 2009, 11:37:10 AM

Most of the people I'm playing with are saying it's really not terrible, even warranted in some spots like Personal Force Field. I reserve judgment until I can see for myself.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1607 on: September 01, 2009, 11:41:24 AM

I'm sure it's "really not terrible" for a lot of people, but for the gross majority it'll be bad.  e.g. your casual MMOer who wants to make/do whatever they want and survive.  Regardless, making that many changes at that point is really just hilarious.  In a way though, since it's obvious they were planning to do it regardless... they were forced to do it how/when they did because if they waited there would be even more hell to pay.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #1608 on: September 01, 2009, 11:43:00 AM

For someone who doesn't want to or can't click on any of the links to their forums, does this amount largely to a major xp nerf, or a nerf of powers across the board?  You've probably already said and I'm just missing it.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #1609 on: September 01, 2009, 11:44:13 AM

After more reading it really seems like people are more upset about no respec, and I cant blame then, although it is pretty funny that people went through beta, and figured out all the powers that where overpowered and lumped them together in one build, and then didnt expect to get nerfed.

I do agree though, making huge changes like this with no possibility to respec is fucking stupid, especially right after the headstart. I would imagine that atleast 30% of those people will end up rerolling today.
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 74 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Champions Online: The No-NDA Merged Edition  
Jump to: