Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 04, 2024, 12:25:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Champions Online: The No-NDA Merged Edition 0 Members and 18 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 74 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Champions Online: The No-NDA Merged Edition  (Read 822656 times)
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #1540 on: August 27, 2009, 01:07:11 PM

How about adding a cooldown to respeccing, but not limiting you to only the previous 10 powers. So say you can only respec like 5 powers a month, but they could be any level. This way it would let you change mistakes you made at level 5.

Thats what I really dont like. I dont want to hit 40 and find out I made a bad choice at level 10, and am now screwed.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1541 on: August 27, 2009, 01:47:24 PM

Well, you could look at it from the point of view of "Complaining about no full respec is like complaining about not being able to respec a Warrior into a Mage in WoW."

I think the people who will be bothered by this the most are not the people who want to full respec, but want to change 1 or 2 powers they foolishly took at level 20 and now they are 2% less effective in raiding or PvP. 
Or realized that the powers they took at levels 7 and 9 really don't fit the theme of the character now that they're level 30.

It's more akin to saying the Warrior can only respec the last third of their talent points.  Hope you didn't want any of those high level talents in the trees you didn't focus on, or gods forbid, you didn't spread your points out evenly amongst them.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #1542 on: August 27, 2009, 02:49:13 PM

Is there going to be a Bat Country guild? I really want to pick this up and play all weekend, but none of my online friends are getting it and I dont really want to play it alone.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1543 on: August 27, 2009, 02:50:48 PM

Let the retards who will create a hero around a powerset, and then radically change that powerset to minmax, do so. Firestorm, master of ice!  Ohhhhh, I see.

But Cryptic has trouble seeing a problem with grindiness, if there weren't much grind, people would love rolling tons of alts with zero need to respec just to game the system.

As someone who doesn't read all the forums, it would really suck picking something like a superstat without realizing the long-term ramifications and being unable to undo it later on. Not to mention inevitable nerfs to specific powers.

Morf: I'd love to...can't afford it.  Sad Panda
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #1544 on: August 27, 2009, 03:43:35 PM

Let the retards who will create a hero around a powerset, and then radically change that powerset to minmax, do so. Firestorm, master of ice!  Ohhhhh, I see.
It can be much simpler. Like that first travel power you pick? Hope you really really like it and won't ever stop, because few levels later you're stuck with it forever.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #1545 on: August 27, 2009, 04:10:13 PM

It can be much simpler. Like that first travel power you pick? Hope you really really like it and won't ever stop, because few levels later you're stuck with it forever.

Thats not quite true, you get a second travel power at level 40 I believe.
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #1546 on: August 27, 2009, 04:13:05 PM

Aye you do, but it doesn't change the fact that first travel power you pick is yours forever, like i said..? i.e. you can maybe stop using it and limit yourself just to the second one if you no longer like it, but can't exactly change it.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #1547 on: August 27, 2009, 05:40:47 PM

Come on gang, is no one buying this?
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1548 on: August 27, 2009, 05:58:32 PM

Very few.

Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #1549 on: August 27, 2009, 05:58:55 PM

In the best of times, my taste in games is questionable.  I'm picking up Aion out of general boredom.  I'm not even going to touch this with someone else's dick after seeing the beta.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #1550 on: August 27, 2009, 06:05:53 PM

no
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #1551 on: August 27, 2009, 06:44:21 PM

In the best of times, my taste in games is questionable.  I'm picking up Aion out of general boredom.  I'm not even going to touch this with someone else's dick after seeing the beta.

Thats odd to me. After playing both betas I find ChampO to be much more compelling and accessible for easy fun.
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #1552 on: August 27, 2009, 06:48:31 PM

I think that's where we differ then.  I didn't find ChampO to be fun at all.  I found it to be tedious, and that's saying something when I'm willing to give Aion a shot.
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #1553 on: August 27, 2009, 06:53:23 PM

I am, and  I'll happily join a guild and read the guild chat while I play but I'm not much of a grouper.  Partly due to my job and partly because something about MMOs turns me into something of a hermit.
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #1554 on: August 27, 2009, 09:42:23 PM

I am, and  I'll happily join a guild and read the guild chat while I play but I'm not much of a grouper.  Partly due to my job and partly because something about MMOs turns me into something of a hermit.

Hey look, a brother in hermitage!

I'm too poor these days.  I can't afford to buy every new mmo that comes out these days only to cancel before the first month is out.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #1555 on: August 27, 2009, 11:47:24 PM

Is your last point about travel power replacers speculation or is it in-game?  That's be pretty cool, but I haven't heard anyone mention anything like that. 

The earth flying -> cloud flying is in game. The hoverdisk -> magic carpet was discussed but I don't believe exists in game.

During beta it was mentioned that the intent was to have 3 or so alternative travel powers around the same mechanic. Flight was what they started with, which is why there is flight, earth flight, hover disk, rocket boots and fire flight.

I'll sign up to Bat Country but given my hours I doubt I'll be able to contribute much.

Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #1556 on: August 29, 2009, 07:56:42 PM

Also, to be fair, they bug-fix, people tell them they should be adding more content - they add more content, people tell them they should have been bug-fixing. It's lose/lose.

Which is pretty much 75 percent of the posts on 100 percent of MMO forums.

News at 11.

The frustrating thing is this is a false dichotomy. 

First of all, buggy content is worthless. 

Second, buggy systems make all the content worthless. 

Third, and the most overlooked, if you absolutely MUST publish your game half finished, make sure that what you go live with works right.  A too-short game that was loads of fun and has folks champing at the bit for the next content expansion will not only generate a whole lot more positive word-of-mouth, but will have a much better return rate when you do actually get it finished.  Assuming that more (finished) content is in the pipe to be released, those two facts (positive word of mouth and people itching to come back for more) should easily more than compensate for less-than-hoped-for initial retention rates.

Besides which, pissing off your player base by adding painful obvious grind doesn't cause them to extend their subscriptions longer than letting them finish the existing content at a fun pace, it just makes them quit in disgust and tell all their friends how grindy it was and vastly reduces your chances of ever getting them back.

But no developer yet has seemed to understand this.  With all the choices out there these days, it really takes an idiot to believe that delivering an unfun long duration game will somehow bring in more money than delivering a short but fun game that will get everybody excited and telling their friends and anxiously waiting for the next expansion.

Yes, I know I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #1557 on: August 29, 2009, 08:39:43 PM

No. Bored to tears months ago.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #1558 on: August 30, 2009, 07:56:57 AM

I bought it but I don't play.   swamp poop

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1559 on: August 30, 2009, 08:43:51 AM

I'm having fun and I still don't know why.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1560 on: August 30, 2009, 09:35:39 AM

You're broken? Grin

UnSub
Contributor

Reply #1561 on: August 30, 2009, 11:09:35 AM

On a completely toplline, don't-think-about-it kind of way ChampO can be fun. For now, anyway. YMMMV.*

*The extra M is for 'motherfucking'.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #1562 on: August 30, 2009, 11:21:58 AM

Your motherfucking mileage may vary

Your mileage may motherfucking vary

or

Your mileage motherfucking may vary

Inquiring minds need to know.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #1563 on: August 30, 2009, 02:37:10 PM

I had fun through beta, ill probably pick this up on tuesday. Probably just so I can teleport around.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1564 on: August 30, 2009, 03:05:02 PM

On a completely toplline, don't-think-about-it kind of way ChampO can be fun. For now, anyway. YMMMV.*

*The extra M is for 'motherfucking'.

Exactly. If I think about it, min-max it, scrutinize it, wonder about it then suddenly it becomes less fun. It's okay to have brainless fun sometimes. I suspect I'll think about it and have not fun in a month or two.
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #1565 on: August 30, 2009, 09:19:23 PM

I am paralyzed by my own munchkinry.  I am not an alt guy- I want to level up ONE guy and use him.  But I am frozen by fear that I won't make a good level 40 PvP build (any skill I chose at level 1-30 I am stuck with forever, basically) so I end up not playing at all.  Its like one of those mathematical paradoxes!  

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1566 on: August 30, 2009, 09:45:31 PM

I'm just plain still torn between this and FE.  That's really all it boils down to for me.
I think in the end the smart thing to do is wait 1 month from today and see how things pan out.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #1567 on: August 31, 2009, 08:26:08 AM

Created a char called "Mange" that looks like the wolfman.  Gave him the beast stance and acrobatics.  LOL, fun as hell.

Created another char called "Mr Toad", he has a toad head.  Put him in a trench coat and gave him munitions and super jump.  LOL, also fun as hell.

Yeah, if you are expecting to be serious or want a game to make you think, this is not the game for you.
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #1568 on: August 31, 2009, 09:12:50 AM

I made a character called Taft, He's a brawler/pistol user and he uses the Ice travel power cause he's so cool.  I have no real idea what the stats do other than making a note of the stats that are primary for whatever framework I choose.  When it's time to choose new powers and such I go with what I think will be fun.  So far it seems to work out ok.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1569 on: August 31, 2009, 09:19:14 AM

Yeah, if you are expecting to be serious or want a game to make you think, this is not the game for you.
MMO IZ SRS BZNZ!
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #1570 on: August 31, 2009, 09:26:52 AM

This thread made me resub to CoX.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1571 on: August 31, 2009, 09:29:38 AM

MMO IZ SRS BZNZ!

No, not really. But everyone here and lots of people elsewhere DO have a tendency to boil these games down into "how does this further the medium?" in a medium that probably needs to be furthered. Or we're looking for a game we can play for a really long time, something that grabs and immerses us. CO isn't that game but it's not complete suck, either. So it's in this middle ground where maybe it's just fun to play it with the same gravitas you'd lend a single player action game.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1572 on: August 31, 2009, 09:41:33 AM

Except the whole lowered standards thing.  If a single-player game shipped in a similar state, heads would roll and it'd get trashed in reviews.

I'm tired of people giving MMO companies lots of slack just because "It's an MMO.  MMOs are hard."  It's bull.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1573 on: August 31, 2009, 10:05:55 AM

It's a fun beat-em-up. Lighten up!
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1574 on: August 31, 2009, 10:26:41 AM

It's fun for some people, that's fine.

I'm simply disputing the assertion that people would like it more if they "play it with the same gravitas [they]'d lend a single player action game."  They would, in fact, call it utter shite.  I won't lighten up since shoddy work is my Pet Peeve.

Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 74 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Champions Online: The No-NDA Merged Edition  
Jump to: