Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:34:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: Wanted movie 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wanted movie  (Read 34906 times)
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: June 28, 2008, 08:13:46 PM

Just out of curiousity you two, have you read the graphic novel? Everyone I know who has seen it has loved it but none of us have read the books so I'm wondering if that has an effect. This movie seems to different from the summary of the novels I don't know why they even bothered keeping the name(s).

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
schild
Administrator

Reply #36 on: June 28, 2008, 09:37:09 PM

Neither of us have read the graphic novel and if it wren't for this thread, we wouldn't have even known it was one.

This movie tried so fucking hard to be cool. Sooooooooo fucking hard. It really wanted to keep my adrenaline up also.

Unfortunately, you can't help compare it to Shoot'em Up which is like 900x better. Mostly though:

1. Training montages are lame.
2. Curling a bullet is the gayest thing this side of rainbows flying in hot-air balloons with rainbows on the sides looking at rainbows after some noon showers.  Over San Fran.
3. The CGI/Green Screen stuff was total shit.
4. Car going into Helicopter in Live Free or Die Hard? Ok. I can deal with that. Jumping upside down in a car over the limo while kickass music played. Ok, I can deal with that. Lodging a car in the side of a train and causing that derailment. Ok, buck stops there pal.
5. Every single actor was fucking replacable. Except for our boy from Day Watch. Morgan Freeman has become a joke of what he once was. Angelina should've been Asia Argento. Lead should've been someone else. I don't know who. Role sucked anyway. I guess the black guy was token enough. A fat meat-packing knife-fighter, had I not known this was a comic book at some point, I'd have said "This is so silly it should be in comics." Because it was. And I thought the guy frmo MI-5 was wasted. I think he was from MI-5. Anyway...

My big question is, if they had followed the source material (since I hadn't read it), would it have been good? Because what we just saw, that was fucking shit.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #37 on: June 28, 2008, 09:51:44 PM

I loved it :)
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: June 28, 2008, 09:59:01 PM

Well, 'good' is subjective.  I liked the comic more than the movie.  

Important details that the comic didn't fuck up:

1. Not every character was a super-gunslinger.  Only the main character and his dad had that specific superpower.
2. The bullets didn't curve.
3. There was no loom of fate.
4. The brotherhood was a group of super-villains.  No mamby-pamby bullshit about helping the world through assassinations, they were balls-out about being villains.
5. The 'twist' from the movie didn't happen in the comic.

The book's main character was somehow even more two-dimensional than the movie's character, though, if you can believe it.  It took about ten pages before he was just murdering everyone in sight.
schild
Administrator

Reply #39 on: June 29, 2008, 07:02:27 AM

Oh right the loom of fate. That was also fucking awful.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: June 29, 2008, 08:50:12 PM

Plot fell apart too quickly for me.  The best parts of the movie were the ones with the most significant lines translated to the medium (What the fuck have you done lately?), but the plot itself was butchered.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #41 on: July 07, 2008, 10:38:02 AM

As has been stated, the comics started with an interesting premise and got worse with each issue. The seeling I got from it was that they wee trying to create something on par with The Watchmen, but didn't really get what made Watchmen so good. So instead it just felt like a pale imitation with some aspects lifted from other books and movies. Mostly just mashing Watchmen and Matrix together. The ending diatribe made me proud to have never heard of the book, the prick who wrote it (Haven't bought comic since the speculation craze of the 90's), and that I downloaded it from Rapidshit.

The movie just looks like an angrier version of The Matrix with a much hotter Trinity, and a much older Morpheus. Also the curling bullets and slicing the gun horizontally while firing is cheesy as all hell.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: July 07, 2008, 11:13:30 AM

The movie just looks like an angrier version of The Matrix with a much hotter Trinity, and a much older Morpheus. Also the curling bullets and slicing the gun horizontally while firing is cheesy as all hell.

Since this is based on a comic book I think they intended this stuff to be super powers/magic (including obviously the loom of fate) but they forgot to tell the audience this. I'm guessing the slicing the gun horizontally thing was supposed to get the idea across that the bullets were curving because the motion of the gun put a spin/curl on them. Which directly contradicts the idea that it is a super power/magic.

OTOH, I'd have to see it again but I don't remember the other characters doing this so it might have just been a crutch for the main character since he was new at it.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: July 07, 2008, 12:23:32 PM

His "super power" was the speeding up his pulse to 400 beats per minute.  The gun curving was training that they could all use.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: July 07, 2008, 01:37:35 PM

Debatable about Lips being hotter.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #45 on: July 07, 2008, 01:41:18 PM

His "super power" was the speeding up his pulse to 400 beats per minute.  The gun curving was training that they could all use.

... aaaaand that makes you super, why?  What mystical power is this supposed to convey upon super-pulse boy?

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: July 07, 2008, 01:43:45 PM

Able to be more precise and react faster than a normal human as that's his version of bullet time.

Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: July 07, 2008, 01:50:27 PM

Able to be more precise and react faster than a normal human as that's his version of bullet time.
Sounds more like a recipe for a super-stroke.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: July 07, 2008, 01:53:57 PM

I'm sure the movie's version of biology is consistent with its take on physics.

schild
Administrator

Reply #49 on: July 08, 2008, 01:06:31 AM

Debatable about Lips being hotter.

Hahahhaahwhaahahha wat? Carrie Ann Moss? I don't even like Angelina Jolie that much, but comeon. You must be kidding me. Hahahahahhahahaohoooooooooooooooooooo. No. Sorry. Just no.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: July 08, 2008, 01:19:26 AM

Consider the source.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
schild
Administrator

Reply #51 on: July 08, 2008, 01:24:22 AM

I did. And I still couldn't bring myself to agree. Just completely ridiculous.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: July 08, 2008, 01:45:02 AM

I can see it.

Bear in mind that she doesn't ring everyones bell.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: July 08, 2008, 05:19:36 AM

Bear in mind that she doesn't ring everyones bell.
I know guys that think she is ugly, too.  So I might be crazy, but I'm not alone.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #54 on: July 08, 2008, 05:47:22 AM

I know guys that think she is ugly, too.  So I might be crazy, but I'm not alone.

No, I found Carrie Ann Moss to be hot as well, just... differently. I'd she's a pomegranate to Angelina Jolie's tangerine.

Also, CAM was looking pretty... questionable in the last two matrix movies. On the same note, the Jolie that was in Gia was much hotter than the one today.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 08:55:03 PM by angry.bob »

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: July 08, 2008, 06:38:42 AM

Yeah, Carrie-Anne Moss during the last two Matrix movies wasn't really attractive at all.

Memento CAM and Wanted Jolie really just come down to preference I feel.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Nerf
Terracotta Army

The Presence of Your Vehicle Has Been Documented

Reply #56 on: July 08, 2008, 08:26:21 PM

Let's get back on topic - Wanted.

I saw it a few nights ago, I thought it was great, but I have a knack for putting the blinders on in the name of entertainment.

A few things bugged me though, like THE LOOM OF FUCKING FATE, WHAT THE FUCK?!  The best backstory someone can come up with is a group of WEAVERS formed an elite assassination squad that changed the world? Jesus tapdancing christ.

The one thing that really stuck out though, was how after everyone suddenly realizes that everything Sloan had said was a lie, they just take for face value the fact that they too had magical loom of fate death cards.

You think it would've crossed Fox's mind that either a) He's just trying to save his ass, so he filled out form 173(c) with our names and stapled them to scraps of burlap or b) the fact that they had been following the wrong orders the entire time is why The Loom decided they had to go, and that discovering Sloans deception nullified their Loom Death Warrants(tm) as they weren't following his orders anymore.

But whatever, the 360 degree bullet was neat, and I really want to get a job at a gun range now so I can watch kids show up and try to curve bullets, I'm all about a front row seat to the darwin awards.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #57 on: July 09, 2008, 03:16:01 PM

I really want to get a job at a gun range now so I can watch kids show up and try to curve bullets, I'm all about a front row seat to the darwin awards.

As for myself, I'd prefer not to be in the same room as a dumb kid waving a gun from side to side while firing wildly, but take some pictures for me, eh?

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Nerf
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: July 09, 2008, 06:30:34 PM

They already hold it sideways while "punching" bullets at the target, that's always good for a laugh.
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: July 09, 2008, 07:20:58 PM

A few things bugged me though, like THE LOOM OF FUCKING FATE, WHAT THE FUCK?!  The best backstory someone can come up with is a group of WEAVERS formed an elite assassination squad that changed the world? Jesus tapdancing christ.

The one thing that really stuck out though, was how after everyone suddenly realizes that everything Sloan had said was a lie, they just take for face value the fact that they too had magical loom of fate death cards.

You think it would've crossed Fox's mind that either a) He's just trying to save his ass, so he filled out form 173(c) with our names and stapled them to scraps of burlap or b) the fact that they had been following the wrong orders the entire time is why The Loom decided they had to go, and that discovering Sloans deception nullified their Loom Death Warrants(tm) as they weren't following his orders anymore.

I don't know.  The Loom of Fate sort of worked for me.  They weren't out to CHANGE the world, so much as they were out to preserve the natural balance / order of the world.  I completely imagine that under the "orders" of the Loom, they probably offed just as many people who could have done "great good" as "great evil".  If the whole idea is that the random nature of the weaving brings up the name, and offing the person attached to the name helps preserve a "balance", it sort of makes sense.  The only part about it that bugged me was that the code was in Binary.  I don't know how old the Fraternity was, but i'm pretty sure that binary code you can attach to letters of the alphabet didn't exist in the middle ages.

As the second part, I think all the motivation Fox would have needed to off everyone in the room, self included, was wrapped up pretty neatly in her little backstory setup in the movie.  If she knew Sloan's name had come up and he had buried it, she would have no reason to doubt that him not killing himself probably had a cascade effect that would pull in every other member of the fraternity along with it once he broke the Code and decided to use the fraternity as his own personal organization instead of "fates" organization.

Her back story also explains why she would never let a name legitimately drawn survive either.  If a name comes up, it HAS to go, cause it is fucking with fate's intended design.  Fate doesn't hand out "Get out of Jail free" cards.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 07:22:32 PM by SurfD »

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: July 10, 2008, 03:07:11 PM

Loom of Fate is  DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS. Sorry.

Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: July 18, 2008, 12:06:42 PM

I kind of liked the concept of the loom of fate only because I really liked Greek Mythology when I had the opportunity to take it as a class in lieu of English in high school.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moirae
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: July 25, 2008, 07:51:24 PM

Let's get back on topic - Wanted.

I saw it a few nights ago, I thought it was great, but I have a knack for putting the blinders on in the name of entertainment.

But whatever, the 360 degree bullet was neat, and I really want to get a job at a gun range now so I can watch kids show up and try to curve bullets, I'm all about a front row seat to the darwin awards.

I liked the whole Loom of Fate bit because it was obvious bullshit to illuminate the point:  just because you have a freaky superpower, you don't have any greater moral authority.  The protagonist's "just a thug who can bend a bullet" line.

Comic book movies are pretty rampant with massively awful justification for why the superhero can go out and be a vigilante.  Spiderman's "great responsibility", Superman's dad, Batman's parents, etc.

The utter lunacy of the Loom of Fate points a spotlight at that moral justification and says sit the fuck down, you are no different than anyone else.

Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: July 30, 2008, 10:10:21 PM

They already hold it sideways while "punching" bullets at the target, that's always good for a laugh.

Whoa, stop there.  Is this statement based off of actual eyewitnessed behavior at a shooting range?  Because if it is, my next question is why those idiots weren't backhanded by someone competent and given real instruction on shooting.
Nerf
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: July 31, 2008, 10:07:41 AM

Whoa, stop there.  Is this statement based off of actual eyewitnessed behavior at a shooting range?  Because if it is, my next question is why those idiots weren't backhanded by someone competent and given real instruction on shooting.

Because the dude who shows up the range wearing a basketball jersey 4 sizes too large and pants below his ass isn't the kind of person that I want to know how to shoot properly.  If you want to go around looking like a little gangbanger, don't expect to be treated like anything else.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #65 on: August 29, 2008, 10:36:47 AM

I dug this actually. Good/unique action flick. And Angelina is still hot. Actually, hotter than ever.

I like McAvoy, but he was unusually whiny in this... but I guess that was in character.

I didn't like the comics (commented on them in this board section a long while back), but the movie is entertaining.

[edit] It's as good as Equilibrium. I'll say that.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 08:19:38 AM by Stray »
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #66 on: September 01, 2008, 11:20:05 AM

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
schild
Administrator

Reply #67 on: September 01, 2008, 11:23:12 AM

DON'T LIE TO US. DON'T LIE TO US EVER.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #68 on: September 02, 2008, 03:11:25 AM

Thought it that bad, eh?  undecided

Fairly original story, good actors, kick ass action.. The finale is as good as, if not better, than Equilibrium's at least.
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: September 02, 2008, 06:39:37 AM

I've always thought that Equilibrium would have been a better film if I hadn't understood the dialogue (or French with subtitles for the film snob factor).  Good action but not much else.

I hope the Region 1 DVD has some crazy language on it so I can test this out...

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: Wanted movie  
Jump to: