Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:04:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: Mythic/EA/UO Story Comes to a Thundering Close 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mythic/EA/UO Story Comes to a Thundering Close  (Read 75778 times)
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #35 on: October 25, 2007, 04:53:19 PM

Holy mother of fuck, it's AW!

IT'S THE GUY WITH THE CHART!

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
AW
Terracotta Army

"not as accurate because there aren't as many datapoints"

Reply #36 on: October 25, 2007, 04:59:35 PM

Thanks for making it redundant, Angel.  :-D

EA is still in the business of forcefully selling franchise boxes, when MMOs do worse Madden sales go up.  Aside from that, when you're bought out or taken over the passion is lost, it becomes just a job.  After Riccitiello's Sims disaster, I'm sure he'll be interested in keeping in line with the tried and tested model, while only keeping an MMO buzz for investors.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 05:01:10 PM by AW »

Only that which is not understood is pointless.
schild
Administrator

Reply #37 on: October 25, 2007, 05:01:38 PM

when MMOs do worse Madden sales go up

I should set you up on a date with Grunk.
AW
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: October 25, 2007, 05:39:58 PM

I see Warhammer being another EA flop, don't you?

Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #39 on: October 25, 2007, 05:43:40 PM

Whoa, are people surprised this happened?

And I do not mean the recent changes at EA...

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
schild
Administrator

Reply #40 on: October 25, 2007, 05:48:15 PM

I don't even know why you're here.
LC
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: October 25, 2007, 05:48:22 PM

Bottom line? You should keep your personal belongings in a box, and have a button that fires off your goodbye emails with one click. If you get a check from EA that is.
AW
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: October 25, 2007, 06:10:48 PM

Well, that's your problem.  Ask youself what will happen to the Bioware MMO also...

That should be enough of a clue; EA knows it missed the boat with WoW.

UnSub
Contributor

Reply #43 on: October 25, 2007, 07:31:13 PM

So finally, all after all these years, some good things might happen to UO. One might hope that a whole lot 'what were they thinking' changes will get undone and game might even get back on track of being Ultima.

All they really have to do with the KR client is polish the chat system and fix a couple of minor graphical bugs, and it'll basically be done.  Stuff that a Mythic employee probably COULD do on the weekend.  So I'll hold out a little hope for that.

Such naivity is charming. Seriously, if this were any other game but UO, if a big publisher came in, fired 95% of the staff and gave it to someone else to develop for at this stage of the game, both of you would be calling out for the last rites to be read (but with more cursing).

I mean "fix a few bugs and it's ready to go" is something I'd expect to read on a TR fansite. A better UI and chart interface isn't necessarily something that would be just whipped up in a weekend, either.

And I can actually see the point of allowing people to choose the old graphics if they want - not as an expansion strategy, but as a retention one. One lesson hard learned in MMOs is that players hate the devs tinkering in their established domain, even if the end result is meant to be beneficial. Sure, they shouldn't make it their only focus, but it makes a MMO genre-kind of sense.

Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: October 25, 2007, 07:34:04 PM

It makes more sense if you realize I own no forks nor knives.

yes keep the devs away from the sharp objects please.

Better for us all if they'd also stay away from blunt instruments, including keyboards.
Rimshot

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #45 on: October 25, 2007, 07:38:49 PM

From Gamespot:

Late Wednesday, word began to circulate through back channels that staff cuts were in the offing at EA Mythic, the developer of the forthcoming massively multiplayer online game Warhammer Online.

<snip>

Jeff Brown, vice president of corporate communications at EA, confirmed to GameSpot that some staff cuts were in the offing companywide, but downplayed their significance. "This was a small and somewhat routine event for this time of year when many of our titles are finished and being shipped," he said. "The action included small numbers of people across studio, publishing and corporate divisions."

Nice try, but you can't make comments about keeping costs down / meeting rising costs internally and then try to spin it as just the normal phase of firing the codemonkeys before Xmas. It's not a staff cut if the contractors were just finishing their contracts.

EDIT: And I'd suggest that cutting headcount just before the proposed release of a MMO isn't a good sign *cough*Gods and Heroes*cough* and probably doesn't bode well. Isn't that right Mark?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 07:41:22 PM by UnSub »

WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #46 on: October 25, 2007, 07:55:22 PM

They need to:

1)  Quit routing party/guild/alliance chat to the overhead text display.
2)  Let players choose the color their speech text displays in.
3)  Increase font size all around.

And that's it.  Chat fixed.  I wasn't joking when I said you could do it in a weekend.  Shit, the guy who gets the coffee could handle it.  The graphical bug affecting a few weapons in KR is probably a little more difficult to address, but still no big deal if "KR will continue to get work" isn't an outright fabrication.  They knock those two things out, and they have a product I'll use.

So quite frankly, Unsub, cram your uninformed opinion up your ass.  I'm quite aware of how old the game is, and what these moves mean.  I'm the one who brought the god damned news here in the first place.  All I'm pointing out are the one or two things they ought to fix instead of the dumb shit they've been wasting time on.

Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: October 25, 2007, 09:58:26 PM

It's because you denned the SWG threads and forbade us ever to speak of them in public again. Constant rehashes of the NGE are anathema to his kind.

We did it to protect the innocents from such as him. You have interrupted our ritual, and now the gates have opened and the chart-bearing bastards are flooding in.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 10:00:06 PM by Morat20 »
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #48 on: October 25, 2007, 10:29:52 PM

It's been six months since he banned Trammel threads, and now he's quashed SWG discussion too.  I know he means well, but someday the impulses he's repressing are going to explode forth in a torrent of LOLs.

sinij
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: October 25, 2007, 11:07:42 PM

It's been six months since he banned Trammel threads

I know its been rough 6 month,l we had to sustain ourself with SWG thread and he took even that away... This could have been such a beautiful thread now that we have chart guy back. Bastards! We need to start flaming each other over WoW warlocks or something yet-to-be-forbidden.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 11:14:11 PM by sinij »

Eternity is a very long time, especially towards the end.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #50 on: October 25, 2007, 11:23:07 PM

He hasn't quashed SWG threads. He's just moved them to their own private cell villa in the corpsegrinder section of the board. You have your own subforum!

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #51 on: October 26, 2007, 02:14:50 AM

Ask youself what will happen to the Bioware MMO also...

It will be Star Wars and it will fucking rule!  ALL OTHER OPINIONS ARE HERESY.

Mantees
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: October 26, 2007, 02:39:44 AM

I don't expect them to develop the old whore forever.

It would be fine for me if they didn't expected people to play a monthly fee for it.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #53 on: October 26, 2007, 02:56:52 AM

Who are you?  You didn't wander over here from Stratics did you?

Because if you did...

CharlieMopps
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: October 26, 2007, 06:39:27 AM

The fact that the Emulated UO servers are a hell of a lot more fun than the real UO servers should have made you leave that game years ago. I still play UO occasionally, but it's always on an emulated server. They are just more fun. Hell, if you know a little scripting you could start your own server.
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: October 26, 2007, 12:46:01 PM

I know I should stay away from EA/Mythic/UO threads since it's a perfect storm of  awesome, for real but uh, if you're implying DAOC was a poor stepsister to EQ, uh, fail. It was a different game, and had fewer customers, but was still a raging success that put Mythic on the map. In fact DAOC took its biggest hit when it came out with a misguided expansion to turn it into more like EQ (they've been apologizing for it ever since).

Not every gamer wants to spend 6 hours clicking little bars moving from right to left to get a 3% chance to earn the Burning Pants of Selfesteem. It's true!

man what

DAOC was EQ with an easier xp curve and relic zerging instead of raiding as it's endgame. Maybe it's changed since then, but I wouldn't know. I got bored of camping purple crabs...to make my xp bar move from right to left, ya know...

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Jain Zar
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: October 26, 2007, 01:36:11 PM

I know I should stay away from EA/Mythic/UO threads since it's a perfect storm of  awesome, for real but uh, if you're implying DAOC was a poor stepsister to EQ, uh, fail. It was a different game, and had fewer customers, but was still a raging success that put Mythic on the map. In fact DAOC took its biggest hit when it came out with a misguided expansion to turn it into more like EQ (they've been apologizing for it ever since).

Not every gamer wants to spend 6 hours clicking little bars moving from right to left to get a 3% chance to earn the Burning Pants of Selfesteem. It's true!

man what

DAOC was EQ with an easier xp curve and relic zerging instead of raiding as it's endgame. Maybe it's changed since then, but I wouldn't know. I got bored of camping purple crabs...to make my xp bar move from right to left, ya know...

That was my experience with it during its first month of life anyhow.  Bought it because of the Lum connection, never resubbed because EQ's gameplay is butt, even with increased XP gains on fanservers.

WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #57 on: October 26, 2007, 03:31:08 PM

The fact that the Emulated UO servers are a hell of a lot more fun than the real UO servers should have made you leave that game years ago. I still play UO occasionally, but it's always on an emulated server. They are just more fun. Hell, if you know a little scripting you could start your own server.

The freeshard scene is a pile of ass, sustained only by the low cost of entry and a small cadre of people whose interest in the game vanished when everyone else went to Trammel.  They play these shards trying to recapture something that's gone forever, and quit after a month, two weeks of which was spent unattended macroing.  The overwhelming majority of them have peak concurrencies in the single digits, and everytime one comes along that manages to draw a crowd, it almost always manages to go down in a flaming wreck of drama.

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: October 26, 2007, 06:13:24 PM

It's been six months since he banned Trammel threads, and now he's quashed SWG discussion too.  I know he means well, but someday the impulses he's repressing are going to explode forth in a torrent of LOLs.

What possible benefit is there for any SWG or UO discussion anymore though? KR was worth discussing for a bit, but like anything SWG, it always devolves into a histrionic nostalgia trip down what-it-coulda-shoulda-woulda-been lane.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: October 26, 2007, 07:54:17 PM

Before the thread gets locked and banned, I was pretty excited about the KR thing until I found out they were going to keep the 2d client. Thats the crutch. It keeps them their minimum accounts who will play UO 2d until they drop dead of old age. But it stifles progress. If they don't have enough faith in a new client to go with it, then it's not worth doing.

The whole thing is like a 30 year old kid living in your basement. At some point, he has to get his own place. Kicking him out may make him homeless, but it's the only way he's ever going to have even a small chance to move forward.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #60 on: October 26, 2007, 09:40:46 PM

who let the crack out??

where's the red name to say we're all like, jaded, and stuff?
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: October 26, 2007, 09:49:39 PM

What possible benefit is there for any SWG or UO discussion anymore though? KR was worth discussing for a bit, but like anything SWG, it always devolves into a histrionic nostalgia trip down what-it-coulda-shoulda-woulda-been lane.
Well, one keeps AW away and the other draws him, like a moth to flame.

What? Stop flaming my religion!
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: October 26, 2007, 10:22:06 PM

From Gamespot:

Jeff Brown, vice president of corporate communications at EA, confirmed to GameSpot that some staff cuts were in the offing companywide, but downplayed their significance. "This was a small and somewhat routine event for this time of year when many of our titles are finished and being shipped," he said. "

Merry Christmas and no bonus for all your hard work!

Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: October 26, 2007, 11:02:34 PM

Adjectives are hard. 

How about adverbs?

Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: October 27, 2007, 05:19:51 AM

Especially if they're American, since most Americans only speak two languages, English and l33t.

Ymay Igpay Atinlay isway erfectpay!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2007, 05:28:36 AM by Big Gulp »
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #65 on: October 27, 2007, 05:22:58 AM

Quote from: Darniaq

The sheer pointless insanity of a good Trammel thread is precisely what makes one so entertaining.  That one a couple years ago with AW and all the charts and whatnot was the most fun I've ever had on these forums.  Sinij was making up slurs about my mother, Slayerik was telling carebears to STFU and L2P, everyone was making charts, Lum went into old-school fighting form to mock the shit out of AW, Raph and Calandryll were talking actual worthwhile design stuff, and Schild was bouncing around telling us what fucking psychos we all were.

God it was great.

schild
Administrator

Reply #66 on: October 27, 2007, 05:27:36 AM

Schild was bouncing around telling us what fucking psychos we all were.

I was, am, and will continue to be right. Ohhhhh, I see.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: October 27, 2007, 05:28:38 AM

Before the thread gets locked and banned, I was pretty excited about the KR thing until I found out they were going to keep the 2d client. Thats the crutch. It keeps them their minimum accounts who will play UO 2d until they drop dead of old age. But it stifles progress. If they don't have enough faith in a new client to go with it, then it's not worth doing.

The whole thing is like a 30 year old kid living in your basement. At some point, he has to get his own place. Kicking him out may make him homeless, but it's the only way he's ever going to have even a small chance to move forward.

I know a guy who refuses to leave Shadowbane because he will not upgrade his computer. At all. It's from 1999 or thereabouts. And I wonder why the FUCK people won't upgrade even a little bit. It's depressing on a macro, humanity come on dubya tee eff scale.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #68 on: October 27, 2007, 07:46:03 AM

I know a guy who refuses to leave Shadowbane because he will not upgrade his computer. At all. It's from 1999 or thereabouts. And I wonder why the FUCK people won't upgrade even a little bit. It's depressing on a macro, humanity come on dubya tee eff scale.

There's plenty of people like that out there.  But every time I point it out I'm told I'm nuts and it's only a minority.

Then things like the Steam hardware setup reports get released, and I have a little bit of a giggle.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #69 on: October 27, 2007, 09:59:15 AM

Please see "SWG: NGE" on the merits of putting all your eggs in one basket. Not exactly the same, sure, but large changes can upset those otherwise willing to continue paying until the heat death of the universe.

... I believe that comment there is the perfect storm of UO and SWG associations. Until Mark Jacobs pops up to announce KotorO: Imperator Worlds is Mythic's next MMO, that's all she wrote.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: Mythic/EA/UO Story Comes to a Thundering Close  
Jump to: