Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 04, 2024, 04:44:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Carbine Studios' "Wildstar" 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 98 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Carbine Studios' "Wildstar"  (Read 993148 times)
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #2485 on: June 29, 2014, 04:37:37 PM

On the bright side, Wildstar seems to be one of those MMOs that help us appreciate the strides made by other MMOs. 

What MMOs would those be?

I am the .00000001428%
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #2486 on: June 29, 2014, 05:01:33 PM

WoW and GW2, primarily.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #2487 on: June 29, 2014, 06:16:37 PM

WoW and GW2, primarily.

Yes.  Rift and SWTOR to a lesser degree. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #2488 on: June 29, 2014, 09:42:59 PM

I think Secret World is under appreciated.  It's a good game once you get past the Funcom.

Over and out.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #2489 on: June 29, 2014, 10:32:46 PM

I think Secret World is under appreciated.  It's a good game once you get past the Funcom.

There's definitely something there.  The investigation quests, the skill wheel, and the costumes were pretty cool. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #2490 on: June 29, 2014, 10:52:26 PM

There was a whole lot of Funcom at launch.  LOL levels of Funcom.

But yah, I loved that one.  The group content was fucking hell (reaaaally tightly tuned and tough on us chromatically challenged people), but the single player was satisfying.  You actually feel like you've "beat the game".  A truly unique experience in the MMO sphere.

-Rasix
Ozzu
Terracotta Army

Reply #2491 on: June 30, 2014, 12:08:48 AM

Absolutely no question that The Secret World was quite a bit more innovative. I may end up back there once the shiny completely wears off of this.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #2492 on: June 30, 2014, 04:24:55 AM

I realised I still had remnants of my City of Heroes : Going Rogue installation on the drive... such sadness. I must play more TSW.

I think WoW was an aberration because it was in the period where the idea of playing online games with other people was still exciting but the competition was unpolished and focused only on the hard-core raiders. Which I guess is sort of amusing from a Wildstar perspective.

Since online games are commodity items now the MMO's are either not getting made, are Korean tribal warfare simulators or are trying to ape action games (which they do badly).

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #2493 on: June 30, 2014, 06:26:06 AM

There was a whole lot of Funcom at launch.  LOL levels of Funcom.

But yah, I loved that one.  The group content was fucking hell (reaaaally tightly tuned and tough on us chromatically challenged people), but the single player was satisfying.  You actually feel like you've "beat the game".  A truly unique experience in the MMO sphere.
I thought the combat of TSW was really a fucking drag but I really liked the game itself and this makes me hope it does well and sticks around.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #2494 on: June 30, 2014, 07:06:39 AM

TSW was so close to being a success, if only it had launched without all the funcom bugs, better info on the systems and maybe a little smoother combat mechanics/animations.

It's something I've noticed in ESO too, when people actually enjoy the quests and plotline they get radically angrier if they encounter any bugs.  If your typical mmo's collect ten bear asses quest is bugged I just find it annoying and move on, who cares.  If the awesome story based multi-part mission I've been enjoying, am emotionally invested in, and am eager to see the conclusion to stops with a dozen people standing around a broken spawn point I will have a fit of nerd rage.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #2495 on: June 30, 2014, 07:27:13 AM

Honestly, I can't figure out why so many here bought it. I remember when we were all excited about it a year ago, but then we got into the beta and realized that the ads were better than the game. Considering the bad feedback that came out in the few months before launch I am surprised that it got this much action to begin with.
Because a lot of people here want a WoW-killer so badly that they keep convincing themselves that this time it'll work, that this will be the game that finally delivers them from the Evil Clutches Of Blizzard and that other people will finally see that THEY WERE RIGHT ALL ALONG and so on and so forth.

And then it's a month or two later and they realise they've pissed away another hundred dollars on a sub-par WoW clone and quietly unsubscribe while looking for the next Next Big Thing that will kill WoW, this time for sure!

I don't think this is true. I suspect many people here bought it for the same reason I did. A sort of "eh, why not? If I get a month's play out of it I spent the same as I do on any other new release game." I don't even think or care about WoW anymore except in passing. WoW-killer just isn't something that even passes my mind about an MMO except when discussion of potential sub numbers come up but frankly, I would be shocked if another MMO ever approaches WoW numbers.

I didn't have any expectations except having a bit of fun and if I was pleasantly surprised and ended up subscribing it would have been a bonus.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Senses
Terracotta Army

Reply #2496 on: June 30, 2014, 09:42:31 AM

I bought it because for me, 60 dollars is worth a month of *NEW.* 5 years ago it was kind of interesting to wonder what the next WoW killer was, but anyone still wondering that is just an idiot.  It has zero relevance in regards to my enjoyment of a video game.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #2497 on: June 30, 2014, 09:51:04 AM

I was bored.  
People I know were going to play.
WoW is old and prohibitively expensive to get back into if you're 90% sure the first log in might be your last.  At least with GW2 and TSW, they're free to play.  So, re-tries are free.  SWTOR, I've yet to hit a max character and already have the Hutt cartel thingie, so that's cheap to try again.  But this was new new and I figured I'd get enough gameplay out to justify the price.  Although, I did take a risk in that I didn't particularly love the beta and there was a fair chance that would not have changed.

There's a lot of QOL touches and customization available right out of the box.  Too bad they didn't pair that with a more inclusive end game strategy and better world design.   Anyone chasing the raider crowd is just going to be disappointed with the numbers they end up with.

Rift might be free to play, but IMO, it's the least attractive of the post WoW crop.  Only thing going for it is class design, everything else is kind of dull or doesn't scale well to the solo level.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 09:54:00 AM by Rasix »

-Rasix
dd0029
Terracotta Army

Reply #2498 on: June 30, 2014, 10:42:24 AM

Rift might be free to play, but IMO, it's the least attractive of the post WoW crop.  Only thing going for it is class design, everything else is kind of dull or doesn't scale well to the solo level.

While I'm bitter about Rift for a number of different reasons. The pick up and level up experience is not one of them. They've really done a fair bit to liven up the initially dull leveling experience. While there's only one real quest path to 50, it's not terrible and they've done a fair bit of content path smoothing to help the flow. But there's also the IA thing. Most of the sub 50 leveling zones have them now and with mentoring, if you particularly like a specific zone's IA options, you can just stay there however long you want. The rewards are all scaled to your non mentored level, so you get appropriate stuff all the time. PvP leveling is also completely viable with bolstering. Mixing it up with IA and PvP makes for a completely entertaining OP experience if you buy the blue and purple gear available at each tier for the respective currency. With the soul system, you can have a different experience at least four times through.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #2499 on: July 01, 2014, 04:10:07 AM

Complete patch notes for first content patch: https://forums.wildstar-online.com/forums/index.php?/topic/85926-update-notes-feel-the-strain-109/

DevSpeak vid for patch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eAso4-mIqg

And the patch is live, along with servers being up, all in a matter of a few hours. So at least the Marketing *and* Engineering teams are top-notch  why so serious?

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #2500 on: July 01, 2014, 07:10:07 AM

I checked my guild roster, and still nobody has logged back in. So i am assuming everybody in my guild did not renew their sub.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #2501 on: July 01, 2014, 08:16:42 AM

I keep watching their dev videos and thinking "I'd play that game... when is it being released?"

-  Mark Twain
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #2502 on: July 01, 2014, 02:49:28 PM

The video seemed less energetic than the previous ones...

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #2503 on: July 01, 2014, 05:12:54 PM

All Wildstar did for me was make me want a more traditional MMO experience, now FFXIV is getting my sub money, for a little while at least.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #2504 on: July 01, 2014, 06:33:54 PM

The video seemed less energetic than the previous ones...

And still... it's better than the actual game.

-  Mark Twain
Ozzu
Terracotta Army

Reply #2505 on: July 02, 2014, 01:42:42 PM

I hit 50 yesterday.

I'm now officially bored. That didn't take long. There's a limit on how many "points" you can acquire through daily quests per week at 50. The very first step in getting attuned for raiding is spending 150 of these points for a key. I'm at the limit for the week and not really all that close to being able to afford it.

As soon as that happened, the grind was just too much. I'm too old for this shit.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 01:45:06 PM by Ozzu »
Goldenmean
Terracotta Army

Reply #2506 on: July 02, 2014, 02:57:50 PM

I'm at the limit for the week and not really all that close to being able to afford it.

The key only costs 10 points more than the weekly limit, so that should only be the case if you prioritized spending elder points elsewhere.
Ozzu
Terracotta Army

Reply #2507 on: July 02, 2014, 03:27:25 PM

The key only costs 10 points more than the weekly limit, so that should only be the case if you prioritized spending elder points elsewhere.

That's a possibility.  Ohhhhh, I see.
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #2508 on: July 03, 2014, 06:33:38 AM

So I had canceled my sub about a week ago, I get an email this morning that they charged me anyways. Then I go to support and apparently they charged a lot of people who canceled. What makes it worse is that when I go into my account options, there is no way to cancel, only resubscribe.

I would use paypal to get my money back, but I don't know how that will interact with my account with ncsoft. I wouldn't want to jack up my GW2 account.

These guys fucking suck.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 07:01:41 AM by Pennilenko »

jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #2509 on: July 03, 2014, 07:28:53 AM

Now that has me worried, mine expires tomorrow. Paypal sent an email that the sub agreement has been cancelled, so I can't see how NCSoft could possibly get money. But still.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #2510 on: July 03, 2014, 07:41:48 AM

Well that's certainly a creative way to avoid a massive drop off after the first month.

I am the .00000001428%
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #2511 on: July 03, 2014, 08:31:49 AM

Well that's certainly a creative way to avoid a massive drop off after the first month.

They wouldn't be the first to try it.

-  Mark Twain
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #2512 on: July 03, 2014, 08:32:30 AM

Now that has me worried, mine expires tomorrow. Paypal sent an email that the sub agreement has been cancelled, so I can't see how NCSoft could possibly get money. But still.

I checked my email, I had recieved the same message, make sure you go into your paypal authorizations and manually remove it.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 08:35:40 AM by Pennilenko »

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #2513 on: July 03, 2014, 09:12:46 AM

Just realized something interesting.  Now that my subscription has ended, I can no longer post on the official forums.  I don't really care, but I thought it was an interesting way to censor people. 

-  Mark Twain
Father mike
Terracotta Army

Reply #2514 on: July 03, 2014, 09:19:33 AM

I think I remember NCSoft doing that always.  Like all the way back to City of Heroes.  But that was a different geological age (in game time), and my memory gets blurrier every year.

I would like to thank Vladimir Putin for ensuring that every member of the NPR news staff has had to say "Pussy Riot" on the air multiple times.
dd0029
Terracotta Army

Reply #2515 on: July 03, 2014, 09:28:21 AM

Did everyone getting charged subscribe through Paypal? I used my card and didn't get charged or at least I haven't yet.
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #2516 on: July 03, 2014, 09:31:48 AM

Did everyone getting charged subscribe through Paypal? I used my card and didn't get charged or at least I haven't yet.
I am unsure, since they are nuking any posts on the forums that mention being charged even though they had canceled.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2517 on: July 03, 2014, 09:52:23 AM

"Oh,  you cancelled? You shouldn't have forum access then... "

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #2518 on: July 03, 2014, 10:03:04 AM

"Oh,  you cancelled? You shouldn't have forum access then... "

I still have access because my account is active because of the billing, but when you look at my little subscription window it says no subscription, but shows that I am active for the next 30 days. It is really frustrating. I really just want to dispute it with paypal and get my money back, but I have no idea how that might affect my account with NCsoft. 15 bucks is not worth trashing my GW2 account.

As usual because they are a shitty ass company, they have no chat support or phone number to contact. I googled their number and was told they do not handle any support issues over the phone and then they hung up. I am still waiting for a response to my ticket.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #2519 on: July 03, 2014, 01:32:43 PM

*Tries to emulate a Purer WOW*

*Has shitty customer and Billing service*

why so serious?

Hic sunt dracones.
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 98 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Carbine Studios' "Wildstar"  
Jump to: