Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:09:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Carbine Studios' "Wildstar" 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 98 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Carbine Studios' "Wildstar"  (Read 979331 times)
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #1050 on: August 25, 2013, 01:44:58 PM

You keep claiming the games are bad when they were very faithful copies and usually improvements over WoW. 

That's a 100% ignorant statement. It's like saying a Honda Civic is a faithful and improved copy of a Ferrari because it has four wheels.

Bullshit.  WoW isn't that good when compared to something like Rift.  The reason people played one for eight years and the other for two months has jack shit to do with their relative quality.

Just thought I'd chime in and say this isn't the case, at least for a lot of people.  Rift's combat and setting is nowhere near as good as WoW's even though on the surface they are similar.  There's no, for lack of a better term, stickiness to either with Rift.  Both the combat and lore/environments are very bland.
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #1051 on: August 25, 2013, 02:47:35 PM

Yeah, overall I wouldn't call RIFT an improvement on WoW's model, just a newer game. One which is ultimately blander and less noteworthy.

WoW remains the best MMO in existence, it's just that it's 1. played to death and 2. by now we honestly should have had an improvement in the model that goes beyond what WoW brings to the table, but we haven't.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #1052 on: August 25, 2013, 06:32:17 PM

No one wants to deviate from the wow model so most mmos have felt bland because they are more renovation than innovation.  People say wow was all about polish but I think people forget how ballsy something like "soloing to max level" was at the time and how it's taken for granted now.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #1053 on: August 25, 2013, 06:50:59 PM

Yeah, overall I wouldn't call RIFT an improvement on WoW's model, just a newer game. One which is ultimately blander and less noteworthy.

WoW remains the best MMO in existence, it's just that it's 1. played to death and 2. by now we honestly should have had an improvement in the model that goes beyond what WoW brings to the table, but we haven't.

This is basically the main problem.  All of the "WoW-alikes" have made me just say "well, if I'm going to play this, I might as well resub to WoW where I have an old guild and a few characters so I won't have to start from a totally blank account."   And then I either actually do go back to WoW for a month or two, or just unsub from the thing I'm playing and be done with it.

Although recently, I haven't even made it out of beta in any of them.  One of the nice things about all these betas lately is I can usually get my fill of the "new shiny" from any given title and be done with it before I even have to spend money on it.  why so serious?
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #1054 on: August 26, 2013, 03:24:40 AM

WotLK-era WoW is the best MMO I've ever played. They've since ruined it, and no MMO has been as good as WoW was at that time.
This pretty much. Even the worst part of WotLK (Trial of the Crusader) was better than everything in Cata.
It was the second expansion for this MMO, set in an arctic continent far to the north. Inhabited by viking-themed giants and icy dwarves, it also had a strong draconic presence including a temple and graveyards. There was a friendly animal-man race living by the shore, making a living from fishing. A strange mystical ore threaded throughout the entire land-mass, created from the actions of a powerful mythological creature. A hidden valley had a verdant forest full of life, and was guarded by an avatar of the nature-goddess. A buried prison held a powerful, monstrous being with god-like power who threatened to destroy the entire world if it were ever released. The player-base claim that it is the greatest expansion ever released for the game and some people say it's been downhill ever since, especially compared to the directly following expansion.

tl'dr - you both sound like old EQ grognards reminiscing about Scars of Velious.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 06:01:54 AM by Simond »

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1055 on: August 26, 2013, 04:30:28 AM

I realize that, I was just responding to this post:
We are making WoW the best compared to all other failed games, so technically according to some folks in this thread, WoW is the best mmorpg ever made. 
and pointing out that, yes, during it's peak, WoW was the best MMORPG ever. Nothing I've played since (including WoW) has topped it.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #1056 on: August 26, 2013, 04:43:28 AM

tl'dr - you both sound like old EQ grognards reminiscing about Scars of Velious.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Boom.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #1057 on: August 26, 2013, 07:07:04 AM

tl'dr - you both sound like old EQ grognards reminiscing about Scars of Velious.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Boom.

Headshot!!!

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #1058 on: August 26, 2013, 07:28:55 AM

Has anyone under 30 even played EQ1?

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #1059 on: August 26, 2013, 07:35:48 AM

Well, they would have been teenagers while I was playing it in college.  Seems possible, especially if they came an expansion or two late.

It's a bit weird that my peak times for both games was the ice expansion.  I suppose I played each one so much that I just burnt myself out.

-Rasix
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #1060 on: August 26, 2013, 07:42:41 AM

I know several people in their mid-late 20s who played EQ.

I am the .00000001428%
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #1061 on: August 26, 2013, 07:51:20 AM

Well, Wrath of the Lich King had several things going for it.  Most people liked that expansion because it has accessible dungeons that anyone could do.  Even using the LFG system you could find a group to do almost any heroic and actually complete it in a reasonable amount of time.  With a guild group we could do almost any of them in under 20 minutes.  Loot was available via badges and you could actually get them reasonably.  It seems like that is why people remember Wrath of the Lich King as high point of WoW.

The lore stuff was irrelevant for the most part.  I'm sure some people liked that the Warcraft 3 storyline was finally resolved - but how many WoW players actually played Warcraft 3 and Frozen Throne?  I'm sure quite a lot, but I also know a lot of people who never heard of Wacraft before WoW.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #1062 on: August 26, 2013, 07:52:46 AM

A new fun class counted for a ton also.

I am the .00000001428%
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #1063 on: August 26, 2013, 01:25:36 PM

People here can talk shit about it, but Project1999 really did have a solid EQ feeling and there were plenty of people in their teens and lower 20's. Also, a friend of mine and his GF's kids play EQ right now on the test/free server. So yes.

It was the second expansion for this MMO, set in an arctic continent far to the north. Inhabited by viking-themed giants and icy dwarves, it also had a strong draconic presence including a temple and graveyards. There was a friendly animal-man race living by the shore, making a living from fishing. A strange mystical ore threaded throughout the entire land-mass, created from the actions of a powerful mythological creature. A hidden valley had a verdant forest full of life, and was guarded by an avatar of the nature-goddess. A buried prison held a powerful, monstrous being with god-like power who threatened to destroy the entire world if it were ever released. The player-base claim that it is the greatest expansion ever released for the game and some people say it's been downhill ever since, especially compared to the directly following expansion.

If only WotLK had SoV factions and a Coldain ring quest awesome, for real
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #1064 on: August 26, 2013, 01:55:12 PM

The lore stuff was irrelevant for the most part. 

Yuuuuuup. Although to be fair, WotLK was the last expansion where the lore wasn't 99% stupid, merely 80% or so.

God Save the Horn Players
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1065 on: August 27, 2013, 09:52:24 AM

Coldain ring quest

Shut your filthy whore mouth.  Mob

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #1066 on: August 27, 2013, 10:52:20 AM

If only WotLK had SoV factions and a Coldain ring quest awesome, for real
I forgot the tank-n-spank gear check raid boss linked to the words "avatar of war" in the list, too.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #1067 on: September 26, 2013, 01:23:53 AM

Interesting wednesday update: "Shiphand" missions!

http://www.wildstar-online.com/uk/news/wildstar_wednesday_all_hands_on_deck_for_shiphand_missions.php

Snippet:

Shiphands are ideal for doing something a little more involved than a normal quest with a few friends. They’re not as challenging as dungeons or adventures; they’re just a fun vacation from Nexus for about 15-45 minutes of your time.

And those experiences vary wildly. You could end up on an asteroid, exploring the mystery behind the mining operation’s sudden silence. Another ship might take you to a space station where the whole crew has started hallucinating due to a laboratory accident – and it looks like they’re fresh out of gas masks. You may even find yourself an unwilling contestant on the Darkspur Cartel’s infamous bloodsport reality show, The Gauntlet!

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
zumu
Terracotta Army

Reply #1068 on: September 26, 2013, 01:26:55 AM

I'm 27 and played EQ from Dec. 1999 through Luclin.

EDIT: Removed inflammatory bullshit.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 01:53:25 AM by zumu »
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #1069 on: September 26, 2013, 01:37:08 AM

I'm 27 and played EQ from Dec. 1999 through Luclin.

Kunark era was better than Velious era, imho. Velious set the standard to release new content instead of fixing old broken content. Luclin was fun if completely jumping the shark.

I went on to play DAoC through up to trials. Could never get into WoW. Too much carebare dogshit to put up with before things get challenging/interesting.

WoW is just EQ with DAoC combat and War3 graphics.

But yea... now that we're done with the WoW vs Everything Else debate, can we talk about Wildstar?

We *were* done with the debate, until you decided to reply to a month-old post with a bunch of bullshit that seems deliberately chosen to wake the fight right back up.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
zumu
Terracotta Army

Reply #1070 on: September 26, 2013, 01:46:36 AM

The post right before mine was posted literally as I hit preview. But fair enough, I'll edit out the inflammatory remarks.

Anyway, these "shiphand" missions seem like an interesting way to break up the normal routine of grinding. But it will be interesting to see how they implement them. I'm imagining glorified instanced daily missions.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 01:48:14 AM by zumu »
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #1071 on: September 26, 2013, 05:47:18 AM

Leveling with friends? No problem! Shiphand missions are scalable from one to five players. Go it alone or bring in your posse; you can play it either way! And if you have a friend who hasn’t done it yet who wants a little company, you’re in luck – shiphands are repeatable. Some have random elements to spice up the experience of going back through, too.

Damn you Wildstar!  Why won't you let me just ignore you?!
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1072 on: September 26, 2013, 06:35:18 AM

Their marketing is beginning to sound like a 2am infomercial.  "Want uber gems in your chestpiece?!  No problem!  Want ginormous tatas?! Got that covered!  Not one, not two, but THREE tatas can be rendered!"  Kinda tired of it actually; time to just produce and shutup.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #1073 on: September 26, 2013, 07:32:48 AM

New Devspeak, Ability Mechanics!

Again an interesting one, and again another example of embracing a supposedly more dynamic experience when it comes to combat:

http://www.wildstar-online.com/uk/media/videos/devspeak/

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1074 on: September 26, 2013, 07:47:12 AM

That shiphand thing is a clever way to be able to create new quests that you can rotate in and out of the world with interesting mechanics. You can create a small instanced area with different art and environments, different gravity coefficients etc and give people a fun scenario to play through. It should be a way to give you a change of pace slogging through a zone doing a typical quest treadmill.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1075 on: September 26, 2013, 08:47:48 AM

What is a "shiphand" mission? A Skirmish?

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #1076 on: September 26, 2013, 02:13:24 PM

I hope it's a rip off of the LotRO skirmishes, those need to be ripped off.

God Save the Horn Players
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #1077 on: September 26, 2013, 03:00:55 PM

What is a "shiphand" mission? A Skirmish?

Themed periodic but not persistent side quests it sounds like, like the rotating seasonal themed quests GW2 has, though maybe not as calendar-based.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #1078 on: October 02, 2013, 09:58:26 AM

October Game Systems update (leveling up, abilities loadout, quest system):

http://www.wildstar-online.com/uk/news/october_game_systems_update.php
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 10:00:21 AM by Lucas »

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #1079 on: October 02, 2013, 11:20:31 AM

Weighted questing objectives is actually a good idea. The rest of just the QoL stuff they are figuring out as players bitch.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #1080 on: October 02, 2013, 02:35:35 PM

I find it interesting that they are making adjustments based on complaints instead of just burying their head in the sand or getting butt hurt.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #1081 on: October 02, 2013, 02:38:24 PM

I find it interesting that they are making adjustments based on complaints instead of just burying their head in the sand or getting butt hurt.

It's been like that for as long as I've been following the game.  The addition of housing came about because of the outcry from the fans/forums.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #1082 on: October 02, 2013, 02:55:09 PM

It's almost like they're actually reacting to the feedback rather than trying to just redo what they've always done knowing this time it will be different.  awesome, for real
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #1083 on: October 03, 2013, 06:15:10 AM

I know I'll get crucified for this but I am seriously on the fence about this game. It has lots of stuff I like: Sci-fi? Check. Housing? Check.

But...it also has stuff that turns me off.

Cartoony WoW graphics? Check. Emphasis on end-game raids and such? Check (from what I've seen.)

The rest is in the sounds cool but might suck category for me, character paths, for example.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #1084 on: October 03, 2013, 07:36:14 AM

It's on the wait and see category for the attachment to large scale raids. If they are actively engaging with the community we'll see how that stands up to time, but I'm not really interested in playing another game where after release 80% of the assets go into content for 10% of the players.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 98 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Carbine Studios' "Wildstar"  
Jump to: