Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 10:59:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Carbine Studios' "Wildstar" 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 98 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Carbine Studios' "Wildstar"  (Read 984515 times)
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #420 on: May 13, 2013, 08:37:26 AM

I think it's first time ever I see anyone wet themselves with excitement over the prospect of getting subjected to the Disarm in a MMO.

Yes but this type of disarm isn't just about your weapon disappearing or you hand glowing and a message saying you do not have a weapon equipped... you have to go physically get your shit. At least I hope that is how it works...Little things like that make me all tingly.

Ya picking up someone's dropped weapon will be the new form of griefing. Note to developers. People hated this back in Everquest. It didnt last 6 months before it got nerfed/fixed.

Seriously? it is obviously just a freaking animation, you are not going to actually drop your weapon on the ground.  And i say that with absolutely zero knowledge of the game.

I am the .00000001428%
Dark_MadMax
Terracotta Army

Reply #421 on: May 13, 2013, 09:57:13 AM

Watched this :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_4_riSI7Ydg#!

They apparently do have some interesting features: "warplots" (aka instanced guild castles", "custom content" (CoH like ?).  I mean if the games has all the features solid ,core gameplay fun  and lots of content - than heck why not.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #422 on: May 13, 2013, 12:02:44 PM

At least it gives you better reasons for running dungeons over and over. While you may run dungeons for that last drop, you now always have a chance at getting the same piece of gear with a better roll of stats on it. It also allows you to take apart gear for the modules to sell/save.

So, to me, you get more stuff out of repeated drops which is a bonus. It really depends on how frustrating gear rolls are.

Very true. But with so many configurations, I ma just hoping this doesn't end up being a situation where there are really only 5 penultimate gear stat configurations out of 3000. I recall back in WoW, running UBRS - first couple times was learning, then the next couple were streamlined gear runs, then the next were targeted gear runs, then the next was just fuck right off when all druid gear dropped every time. Sure, shit you got from DEing stuff was useful and you could sell it, but it still was not what you were after. So yeah, I wholeheartedly agree on the last sentence... such is gambling, erm playing an MMO end game, I guess.

If you go look up that Dev on Wildstar Central (why the fuck do these games not have their own message boards?) he talked about the system and it's goals back when they released this CBC info originally.

Ultimately they want to avoid, or make it difficult for people to go to an Elitist Jerks to find the best shit. They want to make a myriad of combos work or "be enough" and allow the crazy people to after the perfect set if they want.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #423 on: May 13, 2013, 12:09:43 PM

Ultimately they want to avoid, or make it difficult for people to go to an Elitist Jerks to find the best shit. They want to make a myriad of combos work or "be enough" and allow the crazy people to after the perfect set if they want.

Fine and dandy, but on the flip side, don't over complicate and open-end shit so much that players can't make heads-or-tails with it, or end gimping themselves due to a total lack of direction/focus.  Secret World comes to mind.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #424 on: May 13, 2013, 12:10:33 PM

Yup. Comes down to how good the design the system.
Dark_MadMax
Terracotta Army

Reply #425 on: May 13, 2013, 01:17:31 PM

Fine and dandy, but on the flip side, don't over complicate and open-end shit so much that players can't make heads-or-tails with it, or end gimping themselves due to a total lack of direction/focus.  Secret World comes to mind.

I kinda liked secret world system , but seems lot of no so theorycraft inclined people were really lost with it  and at the end of the day there is always best and most optimal builds no matter the system (unless all builds are identical)
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #426 on: May 13, 2013, 01:59:05 PM

Yeah, this is what I was trying to say, but failing miserably. Unless that system is dynamic, people will ultimately come to an agreement on the best shit and where it comes from, how long it takes is sort of a moot point. It happens in every game. The perfect set pieces don't matter only if there is no perfect set... which is a whole other matter. But yeah... I have a little faith. Tempered of course.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #427 on: May 13, 2013, 02:06:57 PM

Do they have a way to combat data mining?  I would imagine that would be the first step to stymieing the 'best in slot' lists.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #428 on: May 13, 2013, 04:29:42 PM

Wait, ...if the mob knocks the weapon out of your hand? And you have to go pick it up?  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Yah, they just threw that comment in there like it was nothing... knowing full well we'd squee over it.
I think it's first time ever I see anyone wet themselves with excitement over the prospect of getting subjected to the Disarm in a MMO.

Yeah, sounds a little obnoxious to me, honestly.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #429 on: May 14, 2013, 09:26:39 AM

How do you sign up for this stress test that guarantees a beta invite at some point?

I am the .00000001428%
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #430 on: May 14, 2013, 10:31:55 AM

They are pulling stress test invites from the pool of beta applications. So if you applied already, you don't need to do anything.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #431 on: May 22, 2013, 01:08:13 AM

Epic Paths video is epic.

DRILLING AND MANLINESS  I don't know which I want more...this or Hex.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #432 on: May 22, 2013, 04:03:13 AM

Why is EVERY GOD DAMN THING on Facebook these days?

No don't answer that... I don't want to know the answer.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #433 on: May 22, 2013, 04:43:33 AM

Hehe, in that latest video, I loved when the Mechari Settler swept off some (presumably oily) sweat  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #434 on: May 22, 2013, 01:22:35 PM

wtb beta invite pst

God Save the Horn Players
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #435 on: May 22, 2013, 02:54:43 PM

So I guess I'll be the only explorer in our guild, surrounded by settlers and scientists.  why so serious?

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #436 on: May 22, 2013, 02:57:34 PM

I've been checking my email like every 10 minutes.  :(
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

Reply #437 on: May 22, 2013, 02:58:23 PM

Depends.  How much exploration can you have with a static world? 

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #438 on: May 22, 2013, 03:08:12 PM

So I guess I'll be the only explorer in our guild, surrounded by settlers and scientists.  why so serious?

Assuming the combat doesn't make Ingmar knock over the game board and stomp away completely, I wouldn't be totally surprised if he picked explorer. Scientist seems more likely if the lore isn't completely derp though, I guess.  awesome, for real

But yeah, I will be building ALL THE THINGS.

God Save the Horn Players
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #439 on: May 22, 2013, 03:08:54 PM

Fuck you Wildstar! I have two years left on my degree! You can't open beta NOW?!

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #440 on: May 22, 2013, 03:31:41 PM

Explorer seems to be JUMPING PUZZLES AHOY so unlikely I'll do that. Scientist looks most appealing to me at first glance.

Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

Reply #441 on: May 22, 2013, 03:48:48 PM

I highly doubt I can build a whore house, so that's out.

Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #442 on: May 22, 2013, 11:40:49 PM

What? You want a world where the mountains grow overnight and seas flood the land every week? GW2 was a static world too and no one really complained about exploring it. Hand crafted goes a long way where procedurally generated worlds tend to be boring.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #443 on: May 23, 2013, 12:19:42 AM

We also don't know how much of this path stuff is going to be instanced, no?

Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

Reply #444 on: May 23, 2013, 02:46:43 AM

What? You want a world where the mountains grow overnight and seas flood the land every week? GW2 was a static world too and no one really complained about exploring it. Hand crafted goes a long way where procedurally generated worlds tend to be boring.

Nah.  I understand the limitations of these games.  You can only see something for the first time once.  But that's inherently the problem.  An explorer is always after the new shiny, but in these games the new shiny lasts a month, then it's 6mo to 2yr before more new shiny comes along.  Of course I am buying the game (because fucking housing yo!) but I'm leery at these path choices.  Of course information is limited atm so don't take shit I'm saying to be serious gloom and doom naysaying, just a casual worry.

I'd really like to see progress in procedural generation though.  We're eventually going to have to go that way, imo.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #445 on: May 23, 2013, 10:43:24 AM

We also don't know how much of this path stuff is going to be instanced, no?

None of it is specifically instanced for paths (or at least the vast majority of it takes place in the open world as far as I know). But you might be able to do things in existing instances.
Dark_MadMax
Terracotta Army

Reply #446 on: May 23, 2013, 03:45:49 PM

AS GW2 has shown  -quite a lot. I played  for 6 month total and still dont have 100% map completion. I still see completely new zones (granted  exploration was not what I invested a lot of time into)
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #447 on: May 29, 2013, 10:54:48 AM

Does this f*cking game have PvP?
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #448 on: May 29, 2013, 11:09:58 AM

Standard MMO stuff.
PVE or PVP servers
Battlegrounds
Arenas

The new addition is Warplots which are essentially 40v40 Guild Housing fights.
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #449 on: May 29, 2013, 11:39:24 AM

Standard MMO stuff.
PVE or PVP servers
Battlegrounds
Arenas

The new addition is Warplots which are essentially 40v40 Guild Housing fights.

Thanks m8, didnt have any games on my radar, now I do :)
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #450 on: May 29, 2013, 11:43:36 AM

It's getting to where they should announce a release date if they want to get it in 2013.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #451 on: May 29, 2013, 04:45:05 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if they go open beta or drop the NDA after pax prime.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #452 on: June 11, 2013, 12:52:28 PM

I thought this was interesting. http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/news/wildstars_economic_game.php

Also, he gave Raph a nice shout-out in the post:

Buying stuff is fun, or at least it can be depending upon what you are shopping for. But what is fun? Raph Koster, a well-known MMO designer, has written about the concept of fun at length in a book called A Theory of Fun for Game Design, which is worth reading, even if you don’t agree with everything in it. In the book, he explains that fun is a byproduct of learning and mastering something, which makes a lot of sense.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #453 on: June 11, 2013, 01:15:25 PM

I'm glad they pushed TESO til spring.  I now have a chance of getting more of my friends to try this. 
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #454 on: June 11, 2013, 01:35:11 PM

From my watching of this game, and talking with the people who've gotten their hands on the game at conventions, this game will be tuned and play like WOW vanilla. So if your friends want a modern WOW 1.0, then this is the game for you.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 98 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Carbine Studios' "Wildstar"  
Jump to: