Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 24, 2018, 03:03:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
Donate! | Shop: Amazon
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Take a picture once a day, whether you need to or not 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Take a picture once a day, whether you need to or not  (Read 507834 times)
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #3430 on: May 06, 2018, 11:13:56 PM

Thumbs up!

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3431 on: May 07, 2018, 09:43:04 AM

What's it like living inside the Bladerunner movie?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Teleku
Terracotta Army

http://tinyurl.com/d89qk7g

Reply #3432 on: May 07, 2018, 11:02:24 AM

Meanwhile, the street next to my house in nearby Laos.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3433 on: May 07, 2018, 11:21:59 AM

Air conditioners, outdoor barbecue, seems fine to me.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #3434 on: May 07, 2018, 02:59:52 PM

Not a good picture, but a good place! Got some time on a dirt bike in Moab this weekend:

- Viin
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #3435 on: May 12, 2018, 08:28:15 AM

I like how the fire has it's own stop sign. That's good city planning.
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #3436 on: May 12, 2018, 10:55:00 AM

I went to the big park today in the centre of town.

There was a water monitor defending his fish from a bunch of opportunistic ravens.

IMG_2505.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_2509.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Some kind of ibis

IMG_2522.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

And a kitty

IMG_2527.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #3437 on: May 14, 2018, 10:59:02 AM

I think you and we are going to enjoy your new photographic life.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

http://tinyurl.com/d89qk7g

Reply #3438 on: May 14, 2018, 11:04:06 AM

Always enjoy the monitor lizards running around when I'm in Bangkok.  The Ambassadors residence is right in the center of the city, with its own big green space surrounded by sky scrappers, and a full moat filled with those things.

They probably existed in Laos at one point also, but the locals probably ate them all.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 11:17:01 AM by Teleku »

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #3439 on: May 14, 2018, 01:26:13 PM

I shot a bellydance event at the weekend. It was at a tiny Lebanese restaurant in a hotel close to where I live. The lighting was terrible, the background was distracting and it wasn't really possible top move around so I was limited to a very narrow range of camera positions. I got a few that were keepers still, even if they aren't portfolio material.

IMG_2299.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_2207.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_1950.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_1910.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #3440 on: May 14, 2018, 06:15:30 PM

#2 has great movement.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #3441 on: May 15, 2018, 08:36:32 AM

I agree, I really like the flow in #2 with the scarf.  Very nice!

calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #3442 on: May 15, 2018, 09:37:52 AM

Some shots from the balcony of my new apartment.

WOW.

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #3443 on: May 19, 2018, 10:17:53 AM

I think we reached Peak Austria here:

The picture isn't much, but caught a good moment to shoot, I think.

1) Dat Ass!  Grin

2) Note the subtle adaption of tradition: As girl you can wear Dirndl or Lederhosen now.  smiley

« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 10:24:52 AM by calapine »

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #3444 on: May 21, 2018, 05:33:04 AM

I have a backlog of shoots that I did when I was still in Slovakia, which I hadn't got around to editing. The weekend was a washout for the stuff I had planned so I worked my way through one of them. I had trouble trying to come up with a nice aesthetic for the shoot, editing it 'flat' looked crap so I went for a more vintage look with aggressive contrast curves and a bit of split-toning abuse.

The model was a girl who had been booked by a guy who wanted me to give him photography lessons. He didn't turn up so we ended up improvising.

IMG_1578.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_1600-Edit.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_1592-Edit.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #3445 on: May 22, 2018, 01:21:41 PM

So I think I'm going to book my first model for a portrait shoot. Head/torso stuff. I figure I can probably book a room at the library, if I can find one dark enough (we're getting into the season where we close before dark).

I'm a fan of fairly tenebrous stuff, like the first and third of that last post, Iain. I have no idea how to set up or shoot :D My plan was to use lighting like they do at ateliers, a work light placed about 10-12' away to reduce blowouts in the highlights. I don't think there's any need to a second light for this shoot, I want to keep it simple (both for shooting and drawing/painting from the reference later).

I have a Canon t5i with the kit lens and a longer one (55-250 maybe?). I figure I'll try to get some backdrop fabric, grab my tripod and see what happens. (Wish I had that great swirly bokeh lens!)  But I'd love some advice/pointers!

IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #3446 on: May 22, 2018, 10:51:39 PM

When you say 'the kit lens' I assume you mean the 18-55? I'd suggest the longer lens for head and torso stuff, a wide angle will flatten features and won't be very flattering, once you get above 80mm (FF equivalent), you get a much more natural perspective. Your main problem is going to be aperture I think, both of those zooms have fairly small max apertures and they are both variable through the zoom range too. I'd be tempted to go get a nifty fifty and shoot with that - it's a $100 lens which is pretty much free in photobucks.

When you say a work light, do you mean a continuous light? You're going to have trouble getting a good exposure if so. Flashes put out a lot more light than a continuous lamp and are pretty much the only choice for lowlight stuff. I shot all of those with two speedlights shooting through an octobox reflector and a beauty dish respectively. The octobox was my main and the dish was the key light. All of the shots were shot pretty bright and I moved black points, contrast curves and exposures around in post to get the tenebrous effect. If I'd shot it dark, all of the background would be dead black shadow and there'd be no illumination on most of her face.

I'm usually shooting at 1/200s (which is the flash sync speed) and f/6.3 but I have a lot of light. If you're shooting with a single light or continuous lights, you are going to need to really open up the aperture to f/2.8 or more.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #3447 on: May 23, 2018, 09:30:34 AM

Ugh, I don't needs another expensive hobby  why so serious? And of course, then I get far enough to see my camera is crop frame and I should really get a 35mm lens to get the same effect of a 50mm on a full frame, see the prices of the 35mm lenses...yeah, I won't be getting too deep into lenses. But the 50mm prime sounds like a good idea, and useful for my purposes.

I also wanted to avoid getting into triggered flashes and stuff, but I needs what I needs, I guess.

My idol for portrait photography is Laura Sheridan: https://www.sheridansart.com/ She heavily retouches for artistic effect, but her stuff is so good. I want to paint like she shoots. Obviously my reference photos don't need that level of polish, since I can do it in paint, but the lighting has to be right.

IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #3448 on: May 23, 2018, 09:53:49 AM

You can do lighting on the cheap(ish). I used two Yongnuo 560 III speedlights. They have built in wireless triggers, you just need a wireless transceiver on your camera to make them go. The speedlights are $65 each and the transceiver is about another $35 or so. There's a bundle on Amazon that has two lights and a transceiver for $150. You'll then need two light stands ($20 each) and a couple of modifiers. These can get pretty expensive but for head shots, you can get by with an 80cm octobox around each light. In total, you're going to drop a shade over $200 but you'll have enough lighting to do pretty much anything that isn't crazy elaborate. All of my shots have been done with that set up, plus occasionally a couple of continuous lights for focus assist.

Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #3449 on: May 23, 2018, 12:39:42 PM

In contrast to Iain and Calapiine's urban homes, all I have is rainshowers moving in as I mow the back pasture (and fix the fence.  There's always, ALWAYS a rail down somewhere...)

No lizards eating fish back there, but there is a bear living down in that canyon.  I don't know what he eats; tourists, maybe.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #3450 on: May 23, 2018, 03:04:56 PM

Every weekend hobby photographer I have ever spoken to agrees: the nifty-fifty is the most useful lens you will ever put in your kit. Just do it.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Take a picture once a day, whether you need to or not  
Jump to: