Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 24, 2018, 01:58:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
Donate! | Shop: Amazon
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Take a picture once a day, whether you need to or not 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Take a picture once a day, whether you need to or not  (Read 514099 times)
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #3465 on: May 28, 2018, 11:46:02 AM

In the reptile room of the band house, we used to have a couple monitors. The water monitor was super lazy, lounging around most of the time. We had built a pretty massive enclosure for the monitors, with little bushes, rocks, water holes. They could run around a variety of levels and types of ledges with branches between, really cool setup.

The nile monitor was the star, he was pure alpha predator. A few mice dropped in and it was on.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #3466 on: June 04, 2018, 11:47:13 AM

My Amazon CC kicked out this month's credit, so I got a couple stands, the umbrellas, the mounts, and a hood for the lens. Now I have to figure out someplace to set up a practice setup, because my art studio is way too small to light anything without blowouts. Really need to get over this initial learning curve, the reference I shoot here is (hopefully) going to do some great things down the line.

IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #3467 on: June 05, 2018, 10:52:45 PM

I took some medium format photos from my balcony and my office to check out the local dev lab. Their scans are shit so I definitely need to get my own scanning rig again. The actual developing part seemed fine. This was on Portra 400 that expired 20 years ago, overexposed two stops.

000003.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

000009.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #3468 on: June 19, 2018, 11:22:22 PM

From the weekend trip to Chiang Mai

IMG_3102.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_2975.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_2979.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_2994.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_3097.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

http://tinyurl.com/d89qk7g

Reply #3469 on: June 20, 2018, 11:13:40 AM

So this obviously isn't 'taking a picture', but I felt I should share a few neat photos.  

Recently, my grandmother unfortunately passed away.  She was 88, a huge part of my (and my families) life, and its been a pretty tough month.  I traveled about 30 hours straight back to the middle of nowhere I grew up in to be a pallbearer at the funeral, stayed 3 days, and did the same thing right back again to Laos.

Though she ended up a farmers wife on a small ranch deep in the hinterlands of California, she actually lead a fairly crazy life.  She grew up as the youngest child of 14 children, to a coal mining family in Western Virginia (she told me about how as a child she pretty much walked barefoot everywhere in the woods, picking berries and digging out roots for the family dinner).  Her older sister ran off to Los Angles, and eventually convinced the family to send my grandmother out as well.  In 1940, she traveled across the country for several days by train at age 10, lying to everybody that her parents where just in the other car when asked, until she reached LA.  There she had a rather wild time as a teenager, got involved in the early Hollywood scene, and even danced on chorus lines and the such.  She met my grandfather there and married him, then moved up to Napa where his family was from.  After having 5 kids (including my father), my grandfather decided he always wanted to own a farm, and they moved north and purchased a ranch in the northern Sacramento Valley, where I grew up.

My grandmother had a lot of crazy stories from her youth, and it really hits hard now that shes gone.  Back home, a lot of her old photographs were out, and they were honest to god amazing.  I need to work with my family to get them digitized, but there are a few already up, so I'm just going to post 3 of them here.  I'm sure my own sentimentality is getting in the way, but I think they are pretty neat, and maybe people here will enjoy them.  From where in the 1940's and 50's in LA.

This last picture is of my Grandmother and Grandfather shortly after getting married.  My grandfather, for his entire life, would try to make the most hideous face possible if he ever saw anybody pointing a camera at him.  The only decent photos of him over 70 years are when they were taken from the side without him noticing.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 06:37:34 AM by Teleku »

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Take a picture once a day, whether you need to or not  
Jump to: