Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:52:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: SDCC '07 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: SDCC '07  (Read 3638 times)
Velorath
Contributor

on: July 24, 2007, 07:28:14 PM

While Comic-Con doesn't actually start until tomorrow (running through Sunday), there's already been a number of pre-show announcments that some here may find interesting (plus a couple of tidbits of non-SDCC related news):

- Cartoon Network to debut their upcoming MMO "Cartoon Network Universe: FusionFall" at Comic-Con

They've got a Korean developer, the game might very well be targeted towards kids, and I'm not sure how many Cartoon Network owned characters I've got any sort of interest in.

- Newly formed publisher Radical Publishing is making an appearance at SDCC.

Why should you care about a publisher called Radical Publishing?

The company is excited to unveil a booth that will be a multi-media experience, also featuring a 20-foot wall of art and a gallery-style presentation where enthusiasts can come view work from some of the businesses top artists, including Jim Steranko, Yoshitaka Amano, John Bolton, Bill Sienkiewicz and Peter Jackson and Richard Taylor's WETA Workshop to name a few.

They're obviously looking to do more than just comics and they seem to have some pretty impressive connections already.  Not sure if Amano or Jackson are actually working on any projects for Radical, but I'll cetainly be keeping an eye out for more information.

- Jonah Hex movie announced.

Being done by the writers and director of Crank.  It sounds like they're throwing some supernatural stuff in, so they might be taking their inspiration for the Truman/Lansdale stuff.

- Y: The Last Man movie being done by the people that brought us Disturbia.

-  Won't even bother linking to the WoW comic announcement from the other day.  Suffice it to say that the guy DC has tapped to write the book, Walter Simonson, hasn't really produced anything of note since his work on Thor and Orion back in the 80's.  No disrespect to the guy, as he had some talent back in the day.  It just seems like an odd choice to put a guy in his early 60's who was popular back in the 70's and 80's on a WoW comic.

- Highly recommend checking out Newsarama's or Comic Book Resources' round-ups of publishers attending SDCC.  Not so much for a list of events (since most of us aren't actually going), but just because they've show off some promo art and give you an idea of some of the books the smaller publishers are working on.  It's the kind of stuff that will get crowded out later on due to all the Marvel (who is having their first major presence at the con in 5 years), DC, Image, and Dark Horse news.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007, 09:04:35 AM

-  Won't even bother linking to the WoW comic announcement from the other day.  Suffice it to say that the guy DC has tapped to write the book, Walter Simonson, hasn't really produced anything of note since his work on Thor and Orion back in the 80's.  No disrespect to the guy, as he had some talent back in the day.  It just seems like an odd choice to put a guy in his early 60's who was popular back in the 70's and 80's on a WoW comic.

Not to mention the only comic work I know he's done lately has been REALLY REALLY BAD. He took over Hawkman after the Infinite Crisis stuff, when the title changed to Hawkgirl with the One Year Later stuff. It's been total crap. Not only have the stories not made sense, they've been written with terrible dialogue and the art has been bad as well (Howard Chaykin at his worst). But he did do well on Thor, so maybe a fantasy-based WOW comic won't suck.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #2 on: July 28, 2007, 02:36:44 AM

- Grant Morrison writing the 7-issue Final Crisis DC event.

- Ms. Marvel writer Brian Reed mentioned in one of the Marvel panels that Machine Man would be making an appearance in Ms. Marvel, and he would be written the same way he was in Nextwave.

- Terry Moore and Humberto Ramos taking over Runaways after Whedon's 6 issue arc.

- Mark Waid named E-I-C of Boom! Studios..

- Marvel Video Game panel.  There's some talk of the MMO, but no real details of course.

- Four Futurama direct-to-DVD features announced.

- DC publishing a Hardcover collection of the Heroes online comics.  Kind of nice since I find the comic viewer they use on the website to be pretty clunky.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #3 on: July 28, 2007, 01:28:45 PM

Morrison should do a good job with Final Crisis, whatever it is. His DC One Million event series was one of the best of those type of things ever done.

Ramos on Runaways? I'm sure Moore will write good stories for that, but Ramos really bugs me as an artist. He started out only mildly exaggerated, but he's gone way over the top in the last few years, and not in a good way.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #4 on: July 30, 2007, 02:19:22 AM

Morrison should do a good job with Final Crisis, whatever it is. His DC One Million event series was one of the best of those type of things ever done.

Ramos on Runaways? I'm sure Moore will write good stories for that, but Ramos really bugs me as an artist. He started out only mildly exaggerated, but he's gone way over the top in the last few years, and not in a good way.

Not a huge fan of Ramos myself.  I'll give it a chance for a few issues though.

- New publisher Radical Comics announced their upcoming lineup:

The first slide was of "Nick Percival's Legend," a series starring Red Riding Hood as monster hunter. Joined by Jack the Giant Killer, Hansel and Gretel, and her daughter Verity, the main thrust of the story is about the love between a mother and daughter.

The next was "Hercules." A version designed by Jim Steranko, this Hercules is a Conan-style hero with a large assortment of archaic weapons. His godly strength waning after completing his 12 legendary trials, the hero surrounds himself with mercenaries and weapons as he makes his way to discover the truth behind recent events.

"Aladdin" was up next, a tongue-in-cheek depiction that will be far from Disney's animated movie (there will be no flying carpet). It was mentioned the character will be caught in the middle of a new land as he finds himself in Northeast Africa with his close friend Sinbad (Han Solo to Aladdin's Luke).

"Caliber" slid by next, with the team saying it's a Johnny Depp project possibly in the works for an upcoming movie. Described as an 'Arthurian Western,' the series will be five issues with a #0 starting things off in May or June. The title is the main character's legendary weapon, but instead of Excaliber the sword, it's Caliber the gun.

"Feast of Fools" was quickly described as '30 Days of Night' in prison as a bloody set of teeth seen in the shadows of a jail cell.

"Amano: The Winds of Silence" will be the first 'coffee table book' coming out with more than 300 paintings and minimal text. Although more of an art book, it is described as a supernatural love story.

"Medieval" by John Bolton will be like the "Wild Bunch" in the 11th century. A shipwrecked group of Vikings on the shores of Southern Spain, they soon end up protecting a small village from the forces of corruption, realizing it's worth dying for a noble cause.

There was a project called "Solitude" by Vincent Perez. Vincent was the second actor to play "The Crow" after Brandon Lee's death and is currently a film director in France.

"Ryder on the Storm" an upcoming project by Steve Niles was described as a supernatural "Chinatown."

"Orphan," with art by Bill Sienkiewicz, is about a mother and daughter assassination team. Their superiors think the daughter could be the greatest assassin of all time, while the daughter wants nothing to do with killing and thus flees at the start of the story. The mother is then given 24 hours to retrieve her errant child before the order is given to kill.

"Legends" and "Hercules" will be the first books out as the company will then release the other works upon completion. There are no deadlines at the new company as they feel a deadline will only rush the work, and limit the quality.

"Amano: The Winds of Silence", "Caliber", and "Medieval" all sound like interesting products to me.  Between this stuff, and Avatar Press' lineup, I might soon be buying more comics from smaller publishers than I do from Marvel and DC.  It's nice to see what appears to be some decent growth and diversity in the comic market.
schild
Administrator

Reply #5 on: July 30, 2007, 04:10:01 AM

I will obviously be buying the Amano book.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: July 31, 2007, 10:44:29 AM

Obviously.

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: August 11, 2007, 08:40:49 PM

Morrison could write the ingredients of a soup can and make it interesting.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #8 on: August 21, 2007, 11:43:49 PM

Morrison could write the ingredients of a soup can and make it interesting.

... and yet he's failed to do so with WildCATs and The Authority.

If he had no interest in these projects, he really should have passed.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #9 on: August 22, 2007, 10:33:58 AM

I've actually thought his whole Son of Batman storyline has been weak and disconnected as well. He's certainly one of my favorites, but he has his missteps. Most of the Seven Soldiers stuff was also weak.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: SDCC '07  
Jump to: