Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 12:31:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR 0 Members and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 402 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWTOR  (Read 2123436 times)
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #5215 on: December 26, 2010, 06:28:29 AM

I have great difficulty making out voice if there are any other sounds happening.  So if combat happens, or music, or voice chat (unlikely for me), I'll miss everything an en-route quest giver would say.  As a way to add urgency to a mission it can make for a nice bit of drama, but I wouldn't want it for every mission, personally.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #5216 on: December 26, 2010, 07:57:55 AM

Just make it an option, and have subtitles. You can stand still if you wanna just listen, while others who are busy poopsocking can run off toward the next rat.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #5217 on: December 27, 2010, 01:02:42 AM

Or just drop everything not quest text in pitch when the quest text is playing.  HDR sound, if you will.
Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #5218 on: December 27, 2010, 06:55:48 AM

An SMS option would be highly appreciated.  

Stopped dey must b; on DIS aL depends. onlE a fully trained Jedi Knight, w d Force az Hs ally, wiL conquer Vader & Hs Emperor. f U nd yor training nw - f U chuse d qix & EZ path az Vader did - U wiL bcum an agent of  }-)

Palin 2012 : Let's go out with a bang!
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #5219 on: December 27, 2010, 08:04:07 PM

Nah, all quest text must have a galaxy full of stars as a backdrop and scrolling yellow text with John Williams music cutscene.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #5220 on: December 27, 2010, 10:06:36 PM

Nah, all quest text must have a galaxy full of stars as a backdrop and scrolling yellow text with John Williams music cutscene.

Alec Guiness voice: "Use the force, Darth Awezum, to kill ten womp rats..."

*da na na na, na na na NA NA, da na na NA NA, duna duNAAAA*

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #5221 on: December 27, 2010, 10:47:00 PM

I'm trashing it because it looks BAD.

That's your opinion. Truthfully, I've yet to fully form one. Some parts of the game look good (I dig the voice acting/rpg elements and every player having a ship that is part transport, part housing), some parts could be cool depending on how they're implemented (the crew members, the crew as crafting bots especially) and some parts I'm iffy on.

Still, I have high hopes for the game but it's based on little besides wishful thinking at this point and a few things that look good.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #5222 on: December 28, 2010, 04:07:48 AM

Time for a music interlude.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwQOFamx5oE (throne room + end credits, Episode IV)

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #5223 on: December 28, 2010, 06:47:50 AM

Still, I have high hopes for the game but it's based on little besides wishful thinking at this point and a few things that look good.

They make it look wicked fun, in concept, to be an imperial agent. You're the spectres, but this time unambiguously for the evil empire.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #5224 on: December 28, 2010, 07:28:33 AM

They make it look wicked fun, in concept, to be an imperial agent. You're the spectres, but this time unambiguously for the evil empire.

Yep, infact the Imperial Agent is the class I'll try out first. Can't really understand why it seems to be the less popular, at least in the official forums class polls. I guess the majority of SW fans are more attracted by the traditional archetypes portrayed in the movies.

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #5225 on: December 28, 2010, 10:14:38 AM

That's the one thing I want to give them credit for, since this is the first non force user idea I'm compelled by.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #5226 on: December 28, 2010, 12:36:30 PM

Yep, infact the Imperial Agent is the class I'll try out first. Can't really understand why it seems to be the less popular, at least in the official forums class polls. I guess the majority of SW fans are more attracted by the traditional archetypes portrayed in the movies.

That's pretty much it. All the other classes, you can go "This is the Han Solo class, That is the Boba Fett class." Even the Troopers have their own representation.

The IA, that's pretty much 'new' to Star Wars. Though I'm sure someone could reference a EU novel where they exist or whatever.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #5227 on: December 28, 2010, 03:12:39 PM

Hey, if it doesn't exist and lucas isn't making it, great. It's not even a direct mass effect plagiarism since the appeal is that you're the knuckle-cracking shadow man for well-funded, libertine powers bent on world domination. And here's your ship, it's the coolest. win world pl0x.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #5228 on: December 28, 2010, 03:41:40 PM

That's the story in ME2 though! Or it can be.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #5229 on: December 28, 2010, 03:47:54 PM

I think once it's released and more people realize the subspec is "Sniper" it'll explode in popularity.  Remember the folks following it and answering polls, etc. at this point are the rabid fans and hardcore MMO players.  A class based on subtlety with the FPS cheese class name isn't going to attract the early numbers.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #5230 on: December 28, 2010, 09:08:03 PM

I think once it's released and more people realize the subspec is "Sniper" it'll explode in popularity.  Remember the folks following it and answering polls, etc. at this point are the rabid fans and hardcore MMO players.
I'd think if there's anyone who's going to make the instant mental "agent = sniper rifle" connection, it's these hardcore MMO players Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Koyasha
Terracotta Army

Reply #5231 on: December 29, 2010, 12:07:23 AM

Sniper rifle means jack and shit in MMO combat, though, and I don't expect SWTOR to have that be any different.  They're not going to let you snipe anybody from way outside the range of any other weapon type.  Not that I'd want them to, at least not in pvp, but just saying...if you can't snipe with a sniper rifle, it's silly to include it, call it that, whatever.

-Do you honestly think that we believe ourselves evil? My friend, we seek only good. It's just that our definitions don't quite match.-
Ailanreanter, Arcanaloth
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #5232 on: December 29, 2010, 02:33:41 AM

Snipers worked well in PS, work in EVE, worked in AC, they were perfectly functional in CoX (though only PvE), they remained workable even after balancing in DAoC. They even worked fine in SWG (except for not stacking with pistol damage).

I don't see them working here, but that's not because snipers are inherently unworkable, its because of the lack of focus on (or existence of?) open large world pvp, and the devs choosing to work within the EQ/WoW combat template.

Edit: oh, shadowbane too.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 02:41:30 AM by eldaec »

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #5233 on: December 29, 2010, 07:35:00 AM

I think once it's released and more people realize the subspec is "Sniper" it'll explode in popularity.  Remember the folks following it and answering polls, etc. at this point are the rabid fans and hardcore MMO players.
I'd think if there's anyone who's going to make the instant mental "agent = sniper rifle" connection, it's these hardcore MMO players Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

No, I expect Hardcore MMO players realize exactly what Koyasha points out and ignore the class because it doesn't do what you'd expect it to. It'll still be "you headshot for 300/11000 damage!"  The masses, however, I have my doubts about.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #5234 on: December 29, 2010, 08:07:17 AM

It will probably operate exactly like hunters do in WoW without the pets. Which won't be a draw, I think.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #5235 on: December 30, 2010, 07:17:41 AM

No, I expect Hardcore MMO players realize exactly what Koyasha points out and ignore the class because it doesn't do what you'd expect it to. It'll still be "you headshot for 300/11000 damage!"
More like Aimed Shot for 13k, capped...

meh, now i feel decrepit. Guess the hardcore MMOs don't include Anarchy Online anymore. Heartbreak
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #5236 on: December 30, 2010, 11:57:05 AM

I'm kinda tired of the "Snipers are best at headshots and should always go for them with their l33t aiming skills" trope.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #5237 on: December 31, 2010, 07:21:10 AM

New blog update, "Cinematic Design" by Lead Cinematic Designer Paul Marino:

http://www.swtor.com/news/blog/20101231

Koyasha
Terracotta Army

Reply #5238 on: December 31, 2010, 12:51:35 PM

Your Sith Inquisitor grows impatient with him and chooses to detonate some nearby explosives – but will it be overruled by another who votes to fight him?
This is the main thing that concerns me about their dialogue system.  I'll have to see how it plays out in practice, but this sort of vote thing seems odd to me.  In the above example from that blog, I'm curious as to what actually happens if someone else overrules my character?  If their character prevents mine from taking the action I was attempting, then I can buy that and it'll be pretty cool, but if their 'vote' mystically causes me not to do what I said to do, with no actual interaction between the characters, then I think the dialogue system will irritate me at best.

If the appearance is that my character was prevented from doing something, that's fine with me, but if it seems as though my character simply didn't do it for no reason at all, then that won't make me happy.

-Do you honestly think that we believe ourselves evil? My friend, we seek only good. It's just that our definitions don't quite match.-
Ailanreanter, Arcanaloth
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #5239 on: December 31, 2010, 03:38:15 PM

I read somewhere that even if you're overruled, in this example, you made the choice to detonate the explosives.  It doesn't matter that they didn't go off (for whatever reason), the system notes your intent (blow the guy to bits) and rewards (or punishes you, I guess, depending on the story line or what the quest give wanted) accordingly.  It's all about your intent.  Likewise, if you choose NOT to blow the guy up, but are overruled by your party member to press the red button, the system recognizes the intent of NOT blowing him up and rewards you the same as if you didn't - because even though he DID get blown up, you voted NOT to blow him up.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 03:41:43 PM by SnakeCharmer »
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #5240 on: December 31, 2010, 03:53:27 PM

I read somewhere that even if you're overruled, in this example, you made the choice to detonate the explosives.  It doesn't matter that they didn't go off (for whatever reason), the system notes your intent (blow the guy to bits) and rewards (or punishes you, I guess, depending on the story line or what the quest give wanted) accordingly.  It's all about your intent.  Likewise, if you choose NOT to blow the guy up, but are overruled by your party member to press the red button, the system recognizes the intent of NOT blowing him up and rewards you the same as if you didn't - because even though he DID get blown up, you voted NOT to blow him up.

Jesus christ. If true, the next class announced better be Galactic Attorney.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #5241 on: December 31, 2010, 03:57:36 PM

Galactic Attorney? Why? What is there to argue about when you're rewarded by your intent whether you win the vote or not?
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #5242 on: December 31, 2010, 04:03:47 PM

No doubt.  

Basically, it's the same as every other Bioware game out there.  You have a story, which is completely on rails, and it gives the impression there's all these different ways to complete it.  Whether or not you chose to kick the kittens is irrelevant.  The quest giver is just going to give a response:
"It's a shame those kittens had to be kicked.  You made the tough choice and I'm sure you had good reason to.  Whatever fallout happens, I'll manage from here.  Don't you worry about it.  As a reward, here's your Kitten Cannon and a nice achievement, along with some credits"  (ding Kitten Killer Achievement).
or
"Happy to hear you didn't have to kick those kittens.  You have no idea how much paperwork you just saved me.  As a reward, here's your Kitten Cannon and a nice achievement, along with some credits" (ding Kitten Savior Achievement)
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #5243 on: December 31, 2010, 04:28:24 PM

That's pretty apt, actually.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #5244 on: December 31, 2010, 09:36:03 PM

There's no need for a voice for quest logs. Just John Williams theme and....

A Long Long Long time ago, in a galaxy far far away...
The sand people of Tatooine plagued the moisture farmers repeatedly, leading to several thefts of moisture vaporators.

As a gesture of goodwill, the Jedi Council has sent Jedi Master (insert player name here) to investigate...

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Koyasha
Terracotta Army

Reply #5245 on: December 31, 2010, 09:42:18 PM

Well, I wasn't really referring to the rewards or long-term effects on the character, but what the characters actually do in the scene where they're overruled.  If they try to take the action and are prevented - like by the other guy grabbing the detonator out of your hand, or pushing you aside or whatever is appropriate - then that's great, but otherwise, well...if preserving the experience of the story and the character playing their part is what the game hinges on to be special, then having my character stand idly by instead of taking action and being prevented from doing so is going to be jarring.

Ailanreanter, Arcanaloth
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #5246 on: December 31, 2010, 10:00:55 PM

edit: *deleted*

Blah. Not a point worth making.  Continue grousing.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 10:06:41 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #5247 on: December 31, 2010, 11:07:19 PM

Well, I wasn't really referring to the rewards or long-term effects on the character, but what the characters actually do in the scene where they're overruled.  If they try to take the action and are prevented - like by the other guy grabbing the detonator out of your hand, or pushing you aside or whatever is appropriate - then that's great, but otherwise, well...if preserving the experience of the story and the character playing their part is what the game hinges on to be special, then having my character stand idly by instead of taking action and being prevented from doing so is going to be jarring.

SWOR is using both karma and peer pressure in the same system. You do what your friends do, but because you totally thought good thoughts, it isn't your fault and karma doesn't ping you for it.

Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #5248 on: January 01, 2011, 09:18:39 AM

World Wars: the Old Reich

yeah, I'm not really into killing all these jews, but I got outvoted, so I guess I'll just participate in letting it happen

*good karma awarded!!!*
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #5249 on: January 01, 2011, 05:53:01 PM

A system which breaks down if a consequence of a decision is that the story thread veers into "dark" territory. So while you made the initial decision not to kill the base commander (even though you did) that means little if the rest of the story has decisions like "how would you like to slaughter his staff?". Which sort of means that even the most Sith or Jedi themed story must still have an option for the dissenter to pick, even if it is just endlessly picking "this wasn't my idea".

End result... reduced dialog options or inability to do strongly themed stories. But I guess they need to make sure that everyone gets a chance to sit through their expensive cut scenes.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 402 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR  
Jump to: