Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:13:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Lord of the Rings Online  |  Topic: Opinion on deeds 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Opinion on deeds  (Read 12325 times)
Glazius
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: May 21, 2007, 08:02:17 AM

Kyan is right. You don't die and get endlessly resurrected. You're forced to "retreat because your morale is too low to keep on fighting."
The only place that falls down is when you, uh, fall down. From enough of a height to "retreat" instantly. But other than that, it's very flavorful.

I think CoX has numbed my instinctual dread of heights.

--GF
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: May 21, 2007, 08:30:58 AM

One of the nice touches is that the NPCs will often say things like "I know this hasn't destroyed the <insert foozle here> but it will beat them back for a time" when you complete a kill x number of y type quest.  It's not a major thing but it was a nice way to handle the fact that you really haven't ended the great spider menace forever.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: May 27, 2007, 05:49:52 AM

One of the big things I like are 'quest hubs'.  Little camps or a town where you collect 5 to 10 quests.  Then you go knock them all out and bring them all in at once.  Watch that xp bar move!
Zonk
Terracotta Army

Slashdot Games

Reply #38 on: May 27, 2007, 08:02:38 AM

Something that I didn't notice anyone explicitly calling out that I really like about deeds: they capture the same zeal for stuff-doing that Achievements do on the Xbox 360. If you're not familiar, Xbox 360 games all come with 'stuff you can do' that next you Gamer Points. You do the stuff in-game and *blip* a little alert shows up saying that you've earned an achievement. Lots of developers have put these in as awards for either completing story stuff (progressing through the game), or for doing stuff you wouldn't normally do.

Same thing here: why would I kill all those wolves/bears/boars/slugs/goblins/midgets/clowns if not for a deed normally? It gives you an incentive bigger than xp for grinding. Absolutely awesome; hope it shows up in more games in the future.

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: May 27, 2007, 11:10:39 AM

One disadvantage to Deeds: I'm a completist about stuff like that. So I'm grinding like a crazy man. On the plus side I have lots of traits and titles now.

I do wonder how deeds will hold up when I make alts though.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: May 27, 2007, 12:45:21 PM

I know that feeling Riggswolfe. I convinced myself that I can let kill deeds of those extremely rare mobs slide, though. For sanities sake.
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #41 on: May 27, 2007, 03:33:25 PM

I know that feeling Riggswolfe. I convinced myself that I can let kill deeds of those extremely rare mobs slide, though. For sanities sake.

No man should have to try to get the slugs in the shire title for that exact reason. 

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
Torinak
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: May 27, 2007, 08:25:58 PM

The slugs-related deed (and any other that involve killing "rare" creatures) is vastly easier if one uses the old MMO trick of killing every single thing in the area.  As new things spawn, some (smallish) fraction will be slugs.

Unlike EQ (thankfully!) there don't seem to be any of those super-crappy "spawn once every x hours/days/weeks" mobs in LOTRO.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: May 27, 2007, 08:28:01 PM

Yes, that's just what I was going to say.  I just got the slug thing because I wanted the virtue that comes with it.  I killed not only the slugs but also the gnats or flies or whatever they are, and anything else that spawned in the slug area.  Didn't really take any longer than any other deed to get.

The mobs were grey to me, which I think is the way to do it, because it's faster.
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: May 28, 2007, 11:41:51 AM

Except you kill the other mobs and somebody runs around behind you killing the slugs. That gets old after a while as well.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: May 28, 2007, 03:15:07 PM

A challenging deed is the one to collect the 8 flowers of the Old Forest.  Some are easy, some are murderously hard!
Three elite trees surround one while others sit along the road.  I have seven but I MUST have that last one!

The ones that drive me most nuts are the class ones.  I actually adjust my playstyle so I can level them up.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: May 29, 2007, 06:21:35 AM

The ones that drive me most nuts are the class ones.  I actually adjust my playstyle so I can level them up.

Sadly I do too. Right now I find myself thinking "oh shit, that fight ended and I forgot to activate flurry!"

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: May 29, 2007, 04:11:02 PM

Except you kill the other mobs and somebody runs around behind you killing the slugs. That gets old after a while as well.

That's annoying, but when it happened to me, I shot a tell to the guy and asked him to please kill everything, not just the slugs, so that more slugs would spawn.  It's amazing to me how many people seem unaware of this concept.
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: May 30, 2007, 04:18:13 AM

That's annoying, but when it happened to me, I shot a tell to the guy and asked him to please kill everything, not just the slugs, so that more slugs would spawn.  It's amazing to me how many people seem unaware of this concept.

I find it amusing that both the Shire slug deed and the Bree Barghest deed are for Determination and both deeds require you to kill mobs with low or shared spawns.  Typically, it's one of the traits I'm trying to level. 

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: May 30, 2007, 05:08:15 AM

They certainly both need determination, so as a Roleplayer I applaud the choice. As a human being I cry myself to sleep about it.  :-D

It certainly is good for my coinpurse, though. Since I kill everything there I made over 100 silver out of vendor drops. And I'm about halfway through.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 05:10:11 AM by Tebonas »
cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: May 30, 2007, 08:34:25 AM

Hear hear! The goblin killing deed quest in The Shire is an excellent place to get some cash. I went on the grind for about thirty minutes at level 12 getting good experience and drops and walked away with about 40s or so. Came in handy when I decided to start cooking.

f13 Street Cred of the week:
I can't promise anything other than trauma and tragedy. -- schild
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: May 30, 2007, 09:01:24 PM

For the first time today I really did a grind.  I needed 150 orcs for my Rivendell teleport skill.  So a'killin' I went!

Went to Ost Cyrn in Lone Lands and after an hour or so I got them all, didn't die once, they were green to me.

Here's a little surprising bonus; I sold 220sp of vendor trash!  Also, about 7 magic items (yellow) dropped.

So it appears to me grinding is a valid playstyle in LoTR.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: September 11, 2007, 10:00:16 AM

One disadvantage to Deeds: I'm a completist about stuff like that. So I'm grinding like a crazy man. On the plus side I have lots of traits and titles now.

I do wonder how deeds will hold up when I make alts though.

I find allot of my deeds are come pleated through the course of..well...just playing. Some times i actively chase them, but not always...and every were i go..new ones are opened up.

This system is also highly expandable.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Lord of the Rings Online  |  Topic: Opinion on deeds  
Jump to: