Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 01:35:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  The Secret World  |  Topic: Dark Days Are Coming - New Funcom Project 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 52 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dark Days Are Coming - New Funcom Project  (Read 532274 times)
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #735 on: May 22, 2010, 06:16:27 AM

Lies used to sell you.  I stand by my rebuttal.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #736 on: May 22, 2010, 07:59:19 AM

It's Star Wars, though. That's like advertsising blow jobs -- you may skip showing anything but people will still whip themselves into frenzy over their mental idea of the idealized version of the act.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #737 on: May 22, 2010, 10:15:32 AM

Blizzard trailers? The original AoC trailer? There's a pretty long list of non-gameplay footage getting people going. Saying that a trailer isn't advertising isn't a serious statement, either.
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #738 on: May 22, 2010, 12:35:56 PM

There's a difference between advertising a product and lying or at the very least misleading people into thinking your product is something it is not.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #739 on: May 22, 2010, 03:08:15 PM

There really isn't. And even if there were, what exactly is the trailer lying about? It's there to get you stoked about something you haven't played. Or are you getting worked up over the three good scenes in Clash of the Titans being strung together in its trailer only to find out it was excrement? Advertising is at BEST gross exaggeration, at worst out and out lying. I'm not saying it's GOOD that this is the way it is but this is what the world's like.
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

Reply #740 on: May 22, 2010, 04:04:30 PM

Oh, I know.  I'm just as jaded as the next guy.  But I refuse to call what companies do to sell their products as advertising.  That's just whitewash for what it really is; lying.  Sure, that's the way the world works, and I'm just as susceptible to a hype machine as anyone else, but I'd rather just be an asshole about it.  They're all filthy fucking liars until proven otherwise.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #741 on: May 22, 2010, 04:51:32 PM

That's a difference of opinion in the meaning of the term 'advertising'.  To me they are synonymous.

UnSub
Contributor

Reply #742 on: May 22, 2010, 10:40:25 PM

Truth in gaming advertising is: this title is just distracting you from how crappy your life is. It is cheaper than drugs though, but less cool.

Ollie
Terracotta Army

Reply #743 on: May 24, 2010, 09:00:37 AM

God, that was grim. You haven't considered a career in motivational speaking, have you? You could work the French existentialist angle and build your speeches on paralyzing despair with a pinch of misanthropy thrown in for good measure.  awesome, for real

Occasional bouts of fake indignation and high-horsing aside, I can't seem to get worked up by games advertising anymore. Perhaps because it's been a few years since the last MMOG launched with a highly visible marketing figurehead. We clearly need another guru of Barnettian proportions to act as a lightning rod, so we can pile on the wrath of the righteous.

Hug me, I'm Finnish!
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #744 on: May 24, 2010, 09:55:15 AM

Truth in gaming advertising is: this title is just distracting you from how crappy your life is. It is cheaper than drugs though, but less cool.

Hey, I've got no issues with that.  Thats why I'm so for virtual worlds.  Virtual worlds are a place I can go.  Games are a thing I do here. embarassed
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #745 on: May 24, 2010, 11:13:05 AM

Perhaps because it's been a few years since the last MMOG launched with a highly visible marketing figurehead.

If it gets you excited I'm fairly certain that fat sack of shit Erling Ellingson is still at Funcom. He should be cranking up the machine any month now.
Ollie
Terracotta Army

Reply #746 on: May 24, 2010, 02:41:15 PM

In all those live pre-launch AoC podcasts, EE never struck me as terminally retarded, just greedy and naïve. Unlike stupidity, those two can be cured by time. A smart salesman learns not to bite the hand that feeds him. So call me a buzzkill, but I somehow doubt EE will reach the same delusional levels of hype as he did with AoC. He took a lot of flak for misrepresenting the game in a cynical attempt to move boxes. Something tells me he has since realised he works for a service provider, not a retailer, and that profits come from long-term customer retention.

I'm not basing my estimation on anything tangible, mind you, it's just an irrational gut feeling I have. I'll gladly wear the dunce cap when EE proves me wrong.

Hug me, I'm Finnish!
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #747 on: May 25, 2010, 02:22:57 PM

Buzzkill.

Ollie
Terracotta Army

Reply #748 on: May 25, 2010, 11:08:19 PM

I know, I actually kind of defended EE of all people there. I must be going insane.  Grin

Hug me, I'm Finnish!
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #749 on: May 26, 2010, 06:19:32 AM

He can defend himself.
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #750 on: May 26, 2010, 10:51:20 AM

Wow, that's some cask strength douche-nerd there.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Ollie
Terracotta Army

Reply #751 on: May 28, 2010, 01:07:45 AM

The things we do to make a living. Imagine him explaining that picture to his wife, though. "It's airbrushed! I'm not really wearing makeup, I swear! I have no idea who took your lipstick and eyeliner!"

Also, part two of the community Q&A with Ragnar Tørnquist is out. My last copy-paste looked a tad messy, so I'll put it in spoilers this time around. The usual fluff and softballs abound, but there are a few worthwhile bits in there.

Hug me, I'm Finnish!
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #752 on: May 28, 2010, 01:56:16 AM

Original thread here. Also, in tried and true TSW fashion, there was a hidden message embedded in the thread:

Did I miss something important on the spoiler?

Ollie
Terracotta Army

Reply #753 on: May 28, 2010, 02:23:40 AM

Nah, just the info on when the second part of the article is out. I spoilered it just in case someone desperately wants to solve every TSW puzzle without help. Long shot, I know.

Hug me, I'm Finnish!
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #754 on: May 28, 2010, 07:30:01 PM

It would be much more reassuring if there was at least one question in there answered with "No, this is something we won't have."
Jamiko
Terracotta Army

Reply #755 on: August 27, 2010, 06:26:22 AM

In this video the developers behind the modern-day massively multiplayer online game 'The Secret World' gives you a unique glimpse into the starter experience for players who have chosen to start out as a Templars character in London. Game Director and Executive Producer Ragnar Tørnquist and Lead Designer Martin Bruusgaard explains some of what players will encounter, from the origin story to the first group battle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9I0UwV5vec
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #756 on: August 27, 2010, 06:42:11 AM

Yeah, I'm playing this when it launches.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #757 on: August 27, 2010, 07:22:38 AM

Sold. + Voice overs = love.

I notice a lot more new MMG's are using them, imagine that.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #758 on: August 27, 2010, 07:31:48 AM

Funcom; Do not be mislead. Don't say "sold" until you've actually seen it and played it. Even then you should still be skeptical.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #759 on: August 27, 2010, 08:24:47 AM

The game's look seems dated already.  The combat portion of the video where there are a bunch of people running around reminds me of 2002.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #760 on: August 27, 2010, 10:40:10 AM

Love the setting, but it cries out for subtle handling and that's not an MMO strength... plus it's funcom.

I'd be delighted if it turns out to be good.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #761 on: August 27, 2010, 10:43:40 AM

I hate to pick on the shiny when the game isn't even in alpha, but I have to agree with Draegan, the animations were very stiff and turned me off.

Also, with no levels I have to imagine that they'll go F2P with microtrans or risk the same fate as Planetside or Global Agenda.

If they go that model, I wonder what they'll sell?
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #762 on: August 27, 2010, 12:06:07 PM

The combat looked ok (at least the subway combat) but the player models seemed decidedly low-poly compared to the world. And well, Funcom.

PalmTrees
Terracotta Army

Reply #763 on: August 27, 2010, 12:50:38 PM

The combat looked ok (at least the subway combat) but the player models seemed decidedly low-poly compared to the world. And well, Funcom.

Yeah that scene where she's sitting on the bed, her legs attach to her body in a very 'low-poly' manner.

With no classes or levels I guess advancement comes from unlocking and upgrading  skills. They mentioned returning to the hubs to visit trainers. 8 active, 8 passive sounds like a nice mix for some min-maxing fun without having a zillion hotkeys to organize.

Cautiously optimistic.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #764 on: August 27, 2010, 12:58:04 PM

If they use something akin to the original, pre CU/NGE SWG skill model, I'll play it 'til they turn the servers off.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Sauced
Terracotta Army

Bat Country '05 Fantasy Football Champion

Reply #765 on: August 27, 2010, 12:59:47 PM

Looks like City of Heroes with Lovecraft juice sprayed on it.
PalmTrees
Terracotta Army

Reply #766 on: August 27, 2010, 01:08:39 PM

I've watched enough anime that when she was walking under those tentacle beasties hanging from the ceiling I was expecting some Lovecraft juice.  why so serious?
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

Reply #767 on: August 27, 2010, 02:09:13 PM

There should be an NPC off to the side calling out "Relax, this is London, not Tokyo"

Zzulo
Terracotta Army

Reply #768 on: August 27, 2010, 04:35:39 PM

I find the concept of the game intriguing but the execution is, so far, pretty lacking. At least if those videos are any indication
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #769 on: August 27, 2010, 07:12:20 PM

I've watched enough anime that when she was walking under those tentacle beasties hanging from the ceiling I was expecting some Lovecraft juice.  why so serious?

I thought they were barnacles from Half Life.  When the chick walked near it, I half way expected a long tongue to shoot down and pull her to the ceiling.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 52 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  The Secret World  |  Topic: Dark Days Are Coming - New Funcom Project  
Jump to: