Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 01:31:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  The Secret World  |  Topic: Dark Days Are Coming - New Funcom Project 0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 52 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dark Days Are Coming - New Funcom Project  (Read 525619 times)
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #70 on: May 15, 2007, 05:20:56 PM

Looked up some art assets from Dreamfall, and to I'm impressed for something 7 years old would be an understatement.  Great looking visuals and art style.

Uh, Dreamfall came out about a year ago. Really, the one thing that worries me is that the damn thing felt so unfinished along two of the storylines, and especially the ending of the whole thing. Pretty polished, technically, for a Funcom project. I don't recall any major showstopping bugs.
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: May 15, 2007, 05:23:55 PM

Looked up some art assets from Dreamfall, and to I'm impressed for something 7 years old would be an understatement.  Great looking visuals and art style.

Uh, Dreamfall came out about a year ago. Really, the one thing that worries me is that the damn thing felt so unfinished along two of the storylines, and especially the ending of the whole thing. Pretty polished, technically, for a Funcom project. I don't recall any major showstopping bugs.

Ah nevermind.

I read here "Dreamfall: The Longest Journey is Ragnar Tornquist's long-awaited follow-up to The Longest Journey, GameSpy's Adventure Game of the Year for 2000" and just kinda stopped.

Reading comprehension.  It's a bitch sometimes.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: May 16, 2007, 11:32:29 AM

I think I could have listened to Zoe talk for hours in that game.

SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: June 04, 2007, 11:21:57 AM

/necroleghumpage

Like AoC, the game will be playable on the 360, and mentions the PS3 as well.

See here.
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: June 08, 2007, 11:32:05 AM

In keeping up with my obsession with this game, I found this over at a fansite.  Quite impressive for something playermade.  Sounds like Dan LeFountaine, but not quite sure.  I guess they just did a shitload of audiosampling of his voice?

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #75 on: June 08, 2007, 11:44:35 AM

Who is Dan LeFountaine?

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Mandrel
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: June 08, 2007, 12:00:29 PM

Who is Dan LeFountaine?
Isn't he the lounge singer on the Holodeck?
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #77 on: June 08, 2007, 12:04:44 PM

The movie voice over guy.

"In a world where nobody knew who Dan LeFountaine was...."

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #78 on: June 08, 2007, 01:29:15 PM

The movie voice over guy.

"In a world where nobody knew who Dan LeFountaine was...."

Its crazy how I can hear him saying that exactly as it would sound :)

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: June 17, 2007, 07:39:39 PM

For those that have not been following over at www.darkdemonscrygaia.com:

Over this past weekend, and thru tomorrow, Funcom has hosted Dreamhack over on Norway.  The clock that appears at http://www.darkdaysarecoming.com/ will hit the date 2012:12:21:00:000 (in that format as it appears at that site) at 11:39 hrs GMT June 18, 2007.  That date (2012:12:21:00:000) is supposed to be the end of the world according to the Mayan calender, as well as the date in 1928 that explorer Roald Amundsen disappeared or died (and not found).

An announcement of some sorts is expected (or something as mild as a change in the website) at that time.

Stay tuned!
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #80 on: June 18, 2007, 05:26:01 AM

Is that Mayan thing true?  Maybe I should stop contributing to my retirement savings and pick up a cocaine habit instead.
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: June 18, 2007, 06:31:49 AM

And...nothing happened  Heartbreak
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #82 on: June 18, 2007, 07:11:29 AM

I am very disappointed.   huh

schild
Administrator

Reply #83 on: June 18, 2007, 08:45:13 AM

Oh, Funcom.
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: June 18, 2007, 09:12:11 AM

I am very disappointed.   huh

I am too.  Was really looking forward to some more news.

The next dates/times of significance people are looking towards are:
June 18, 2007 @ 19:28 hrs - For the year that Roald Amundsen disappeared or died
June 22, 2007 @ (unknown time) - The timer reaches another significant point for the Summer Solstace.  A connection has been made, but I'm not sure what.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #85 on: June 18, 2007, 11:47:41 AM

I'll keep an eye out.  I really did think the initial event was good fun.

SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: June 18, 2007, 12:10:35 PM

I'll keep an eye out.  I really did think the initial event was good fun.

Yeah it was.

Ah well.  Back to waiting mode :shakefist:
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: December 17, 2007, 06:39:05 PM

RISE FROM THE DEAD!!! I COMMAND THEE!!!!

Producer/director/write/lead whatever of The Secret World is giving presentation to FunCom in a few days.

Cthulu

Because I want this game to be teh awesome, it will suck.  Do not get your hopes up.  You have been warned.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #88 on: December 17, 2007, 06:50:28 PM

Yep, TSW interests me a lot more than AoC or WAR, but there will be plenty of time between releases to assess them individually. Especially since TSW is currently a great concept with not a lot of detail about how that concept will be implemented.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: December 18, 2007, 07:43:48 AM

Interesting fun.  I'm not sure how I missed all of this.  I must of been napping.  Interesting game.  I'm just to lazy to go get into the conspiracy.
Falwell
Terracotta Army

Ghetto Gear Solid: Raiden

Reply #90 on: December 18, 2007, 09:36:47 PM

Yeah really not much to hear about this the past few months outside of the Ragnar blog quoted above. With him stating that there will be nothing officially released until post AoC launch I doubt we'll hear anything big on this till probably late spring early summer. That, of course, is assuming AoC hits it's March release date.

This setting seems right up Funcom's alley though. It's niche enough for them to have a lot of freedom creativity wise, yet I think that it will generate enough interest (at least initially) to turn a few heads in the MMO scene should the architecture be sound. FC has proven they have no problems developing mature, gritty content and to do a modern horror / cyberpunk settting properly, it needs to have grit.

Definitely on my radar.

Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: December 18, 2007, 09:48:07 PM

It's definitely in the "keep an eye on" catagory, along with the WoD MMO, as I yearn for something outside of the usual Elves & Orcs, or Mining in Spaaaaaace thing.

However, despite their single player games, they've got one MMO under their belt.  And while they did turn AO around from a shitacular launch, they really didn't seem to do much with it, other than flail around haphazardly as far as expansions go.  So, I'm mostly curious how the AoC launch goes, as well as post launch.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: December 19, 2007, 06:37:25 AM

tl;dr

What is this? I skimmed and saw something about a conspiracy?

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
DarkSign
Terracotta Army

Reply #93 on: December 19, 2007, 06:52:50 AM

This game lost me with the picture of the hawt chick with a katana. Cthulhu my arse.  The only way this fits the mythos is if he girl has utterly failed her SAN check and now believes herself to be invincible and her player has already resigned himself to the fact that Cthulhu will eat her in the next turn.

It is shaping up, however,  to have heavy doses of adventure gaming/puzzles which i like, but as far as being Lovecraftian it's missing the mark already.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #94 on: December 19, 2007, 07:58:18 AM

Good.
Lovecraftian = failure when it comes to MMO's.

Funcom is at least trying their own IP & considering AO had a much more interesting world then most other AAA titles I'm looking forward to what they come up with.  This is super true because it seems like their are no elves.  By all means include some elements of cosmic horror, but if that's your only plan as a gameworld designer?  Your plan sucks.

Protip:  Games that really on atmosphere and surprise aren't going to make good mmo's.  Other players will quickly ruin those things for you.

P.S.  +5 points for pissing off DarkSign.  wtg Funcom

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
DarkSign
Terracotta Army

Reply #95 on: December 21, 2007, 07:11:00 AM

They arent creating their own IP....they're bolloxing up the Cthulhu mythos. Sure it's not technically Lovecraftian, but that's where the whole idea came from. So yeah, if they're going to do Cthulhu stuff there are certain things you cant mess around with. That would be like doing some comic that has a character that's a rip-off of Batman then putting Disney characters in it. OMG it's new IP! Barf. Internal consistency wins. You fail.

btw, not really pissed off, just disappointed.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #96 on: December 21, 2007, 07:31:05 AM

Hoax is right though, you can't do Lovecraft/Cthulhu in an MMO.

Here's a quick reason why...

OOC: H4RKN355: "Where do I find Shub Niggurath?"
OOC: Yithkicker: "Lern 2 summon, nooblar!"

*shudder*

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: December 21, 2007, 07:45:43 AM

Some sort of 'event' is supposed to happen today, about 4 and half hours from now...No idea what.  Follow it here.

Falwell
Terracotta Army

Ghetto Gear Solid: Raiden

Reply #98 on: December 22, 2007, 12:49:52 AM

Some sort of 'event' is supposed to happen today, about 4 and half hours from now...No idea what.  Follow it here.

Nah, this is about the 3rd or 4th time the early fanbase has come to the conclusion that at x day and x time Funcom is SURE to have some sort of super special event, they just HAVE to. This is also the 3rd or 4th time that they got kicked in the balls.

The thing that disturbs me the most so far is that this early fanbase well, they just freak me the fuck out. Maybe it's their knack for over analyzing things to the point of bold faced retardery, or the fact that they have this huge list of assumptions based on zero evidence.

Okay, yeah that's like the internet in a nutshell I know, but these cats take it to extremes. Really disturbing extremes.

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #99 on: December 22, 2007, 01:17:09 AM

Why they would they want to do Lovecraft/Cthulhu or even mimic it? Funcom writes original stories well.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #100 on: December 22, 2007, 09:44:33 AM

Whatever was at that link has gone poof about.

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #101 on: December 22, 2007, 12:24:58 PM

It was just two fansites combining, not an official event. The result is at http://www.crygaia.com
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #102 on: December 22, 2007, 03:00:05 PM

Nah, this is about the 3rd or 4th time the early fanbase has come to the conclusion that at x day and x time Funcom is SURE to have some sort of super special event, they just HAVE to. This is also the 3rd or 4th time that they got kicked in the balls.

The thing that disturbs me the most so far is that this early fanbase well, they just freak me the fuck out. Maybe it's their knack for over analyzing things to the point of bold faced retardery, or the fact that they have this huge list of assumptions based on zero evidence.

Okay, yeah that's like the internet in a nutshell I know, but these cats take it to extremes. Really disturbing extremes.

'Lost' fans.
DarkSign
Terracotta Army

Reply #103 on: December 23, 2007, 06:35:32 AM

Darksign is right though, you can't do Lovecraft/Cthulhu in an MMO.

Here's a quick reason why...

OOC: H4RKN355: "Where do I find Shub Niggurath?"
OOC: Yithkicker: "Lern 2 summon, nooblar!"

*shudder*

Fixed
« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 06:37:10 AM by DarkSign »
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #104 on: December 23, 2007, 08:41:02 AM

sorry, you didn't fix it. You seem to WANT a Cthulhu/Lovecraft thing, despite the fact that it will fail horribly and may leave an honest fan of the mythos drooling on himself like he just had a serious run-in with a Great Old One.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 52 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  The Secret World  |  Topic: Dark Days Are Coming - New Funcom Project  
Jump to: