Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:52:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  The Secret World  |  Topic: Dark Days Are Coming - New Funcom Project 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 52 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dark Days Are Coming - New Funcom Project  (Read 517092 times)
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: May 12, 2007, 02:27:55 AM

looks more than just a bit Lovecraftian to me.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: May 12, 2007, 04:29:33 AM

which took me to this now deleted picture (it was flash) and text:
Oh hey, it's London.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neverwhere

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
schild
Administrator

Reply #37 on: May 12, 2007, 05:40:22 AM

I don't know how to explain how giddy I am at the prospect of a modern horror MMORPG. It'll be insanely hard to pull off. But it's something that I honestly want MORE than a Pots-Apoc MMORPG.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: May 12, 2007, 05:49:07 AM

Yeah, the prospect of gunning down unspeakable horrors in an abandoned London underground station with two 45's a trench coat and a fedora would get me to at least buy the box and try the first month.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #39 on: May 12, 2007, 12:26:27 PM

Yeah, the prospect of gunning down unspeakable horrors in an abandoned London underground station with two 45's a trench coat and a fedora would get me to at least buy the box and try the first month.

This. Especially if they can manage to make it more than instance upon instance of "Kill the level 36 Illuminati! Now kill the level 37 Illuminati! OH NOES LEVEL 38 ILLUMINATI!"

Regardless, I love the way they're handling the introduction and setting.
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: May 12, 2007, 04:20:55 PM

i cant get passed the vitruvian man :(

Got past it.  Sneaky bastards.

Anyway.  This is probably the most interesting looking MMO to me in a long time.  Can't wait to see more info come about.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2007, 08:31:15 AM by SnakeCharmer »
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #41 on: May 13, 2007, 11:00:31 AM

I think one of the best parts about this whole conspiracy solving part is that Funcom is REALLY watching what they uncover on the forums. If someone gets ahead of themselves they silence them with messages like "This person doesn't know what they talk about. THIS IS NOT A CONSPIRACY!" Keeps people thinking.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #42 on: May 13, 2007, 12:52:04 PM

I don't know how to explain how giddy I am at the prospect of a modern horror MMORPG. It'll be insanely hard to pull off. But it's something that I honestly want MORE than a Pots-Apoc MMORPG.

If they prove they can release a game that works (AoC) then Funcom would seem to be the company to design a game with a good setting like this.  AO had a metric fuckton of lore and it was a pretty cool and varied world.  The gameplay let the lore down which is almost never the case.

I've got enough vapor-hype to get high off of right now between AoC, HG:L and WAR so you'll forgive me not even bothering to click the links in this thread...

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #43 on: May 13, 2007, 01:33:15 PM

You really should click them and stop being such a huge douche. You've really been oozing some douchery lately.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #44 on: May 13, 2007, 01:45:22 PM

which took me to this now deleted picture (it was flash) and text:
Oh hey, it's London.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neverwhere

I think it's different cities depending on where you log in from.

I've only seen New York.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: May 13, 2007, 02:47:06 PM

I think one of the best parts about this whole conspiracy solving part is that Funcom is REALLY watching what they uncover on the forums. If someone gets ahead of themselves they silence them with messages like "This person doesn't know what they talk about. THIS IS NOT A CONSPIRACY!" Keeps people thinking.

Yah, and the beauty of some of it you don't know who is a dev or player.  I read some of it and my mind is completely blown:  I'm thinking, no way they went that deep with the lore.  Did they?

Went back to the original site today to play around with the opening puzzle.  Here's a pic of NY, guessing it's after everything bad happens.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2007, 02:53:57 PM by SnakeCharmer »
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #46 on: May 13, 2007, 03:34:09 PM

Evidently, the one pic up there is NYC, London and Singapore smushed together.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #47 on: May 14, 2007, 07:45:17 AM

http://darkdaysrcoming.blogspot.com/

Crib notes for the lazy among us.

Pretty fucking cool imo.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #48 on: May 14, 2007, 08:47:06 AM

Sorry, it's Shanghai, not Singapore.  Thanks for the blog site.  I think it's sort of cool, too.  It's a fun and clever way to introduce a game.  I'm having a good time reading people's theories.

Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: May 14, 2007, 08:48:04 AM

Pretty fucking cool imo.

I dunno, I'm sure it would be a nice book. Or a single player game. Or a game base on a fourm. But a MMOG with other human beings playing it?

A MMOG where you have to go to a spolier site to access the FOURM and them to gain hype they DELETE the contents of posts from developers? And how long do you think the'd be able to the keep the...content up for.

Still, it looks like a post-apocolytpic game, so perhaps it will be the Fallout MMOG instead. 

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #50 on: May 14, 2007, 08:53:43 AM

I meant pretty cool @ the work they went through for this beginning phase.

As for the game? I take the same stance I usually take "let me see it".
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #51 on: May 14, 2007, 09:03:46 AM

My MMO stance these days is, "it's crap until they pay me to say otherwise."  But I like the package so far.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #52 on: May 14, 2007, 09:42:10 AM

I wouldn't call what has transpired so far "hype".

Hype to mde is what Smed or McQuaid did with Vanguard/SWG/EQ2. Hype is all the shit Blizzard threw out before BC, hype is a lot of stuff.

This... is different. This is making people work toward something that could be really interesting, to say the least. That said, of course they're gonna make you jump through hoops to keep you interested, especially when probably all they've got to show at this point is concepts.

If this is waht you want to term hype, I'll take it over any of the chest-thumping, "my game is good because I say so" bullshit that's been passing for hype for the past couple of years.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: May 14, 2007, 11:12:18 AM

This... is different. This is making people work toward something that could be really interesting, to say the least. That said, of course they're gonna make you jump through hoops to keep you interested, especially when probably all they've got to show at this point is concepts.

According to their press release, the game is in a playable state.  Vague statement, I know, but it leads to believe they're past the concept stage. 

Some concrete info on this game would be awesome.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #54 on: May 14, 2007, 11:39:31 AM

Indeed, and I'll believe that when I see it. That said, so far, all we've seen is concept art and these fleeting glimpses at what could be a killer story.

Will the MMOtards fuck up your immersion of it with, "ZOMG HOW DO I SOLV MISTREE?Huh" Sure as fuck they will, but I still like where it's going from here.

SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: May 14, 2007, 02:56:14 PM

If the release date is Dec 12, 2012, I think I'll cry.  Or any day in December 2012.
schild
Administrator

Reply #56 on: May 14, 2007, 02:57:03 PM

On the flipside, if the release date is 2012, it might not suck.
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: May 14, 2007, 03:51:01 PM

That 5ish year development period for certainly Vanguard certainly did wonders. 

But damn.  2012.  I'll be 39 years old and likely not care :(  Or have forgotten.  Not sure if it's the 5 year development that makes me a sad panda or the realization I'll about to be dinging level 40.

Edit #1:  The realization of my own mortality. Again.
Edit #2:  Correct word placement is hard.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2007, 03:56:48 PM by SnakeCharmer »
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #58 on: May 14, 2007, 04:07:11 PM

Doubtful it'll be 2012.

That's most likely part of the lore, considering 12/20/2012 is the end of the Third Age according to the Mayan calendar.

Those pesky pre-columbians...

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #59 on: May 14, 2007, 07:04:55 PM

This was good fun!   smiley

Friends.

You have cracked the code! An important message has been unveiled - one that
is more important than you could possibly imagine.

I know now who A.B. is, and I know how to contact her. She might - no, she
will - help me disappear. And I trust that she will be able to answer a few
of my many questions regarding the sleeping threat.

I owe you a great deal, friends. Without your help, I would not have found
the letter from Belmont, and I would have been searching still for answers
and for a safe house. Because of you - every single one of you - I shall
sleep soundly tonight, without waking in fear and jumping at shadows. Thank
you.

I might return one final time in the days to come to tell you some of what
I've learned, but I can make no promises about that. I intend to disappear
for a while, at least until my enemies grow tired and return to their stone
buildings and their long tables, but I will be back again some day - this I
DO promise. There is much more to learn about the secret world, and I intend
to learn it all...before it is too late.

Be safe, friends. Be vigilant - always. Be strong. Keep searching. Keep
learning. Keep reading, listening, watching. The answers hide in history,
mythology, legends, and stories. The day will come when you are needed, all
of you, in the battle against darkness. Without people like you, our Earth -
Gaia - is doomed.

Farewell,

A friend

Someone made a wiki.

Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: May 14, 2007, 11:23:20 PM

Actually after reading that post, I now what to play the game on the side of the forces of evil. Why vote for the lesser evil etc.

Perhaps the PvP will be who can hack the enemies messageboard first, and the winner is the person who can delete the most posts of the other side.

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #61 on: May 15, 2007, 07:17:13 AM

And already the fanboys are trying to change the game...

A petition is floating around on the forums to change the name of the game from The Secret World to "Cry Gaia", "because 'The Secret World' doesn't sound cool enough"

Seriously, kids let the developers call it what they want. And hell, if you're gonna change the name to anything, change it to Dark Conspiracy Online because that's pretty much what it looks like it's shaping up to be. And hey, I'm cool with that 'cause DC was one of my favorite PnP games.

trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: May 15, 2007, 07:25:14 AM

I know it's silly, and I haven't played Dreamfall (of course played TLJ), but I kinda idolize Ragnar at this point.

Plus, his name is Ragnar.
Blackguard
Developers

38 Studios

Reply #63 on: May 15, 2007, 08:36:04 AM

Things like this are really fun. A game before the game. People have already come up with terms like "false prophet" for this metagame for people like me... I posted some anagrams on an account to mess with people. They furiously figured them out and got strung along for a couple hours until they realized that I was definitely a false prophet. ;)

Ryan "Blackguard" Shwayder
Game Designer at 38 Studios
Custodian of the Nerfbat
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: May 15, 2007, 08:42:07 AM

No I didn't.

SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: May 15, 2007, 09:13:24 AM

Things like this are really fun. A game before the game. People have already come up with terms like "false prophet" for this metagame for people like me... I posted some anagrams on an account to mess with people. They furiously figured them out and got strung along for a couple hours until they realized that I was definitely a false prophet. ;)

That's just mean. 
Funny. 
But mean.

Thank God for the wikis and blogs, otherwise I'd be lost.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #66 on: May 15, 2007, 09:48:28 AM

Ha!  Blackguard is a Red Herring!  Anyway, I didn't post on the official forum or anything but I very much enjoyed sussing most of it out and reading all the different theories people posted.  I even learned stuff!  I hadn't figured it all out before it was cracked, but I was ready for the answers.  One of the things I found nice was that it wasn't too, too hard or too, too long and it made sense at the end.  Everyone seemed to have a great time, too.

Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #67 on: May 15, 2007, 11:24:25 AM

Seriously, kids let the developers call it what they want. And hell, if you're gonna change the name to anything, change it to Dark Conspiracy Online because that's pretty much what it looks like it's shaping up to be. And hey, I'm cool with that 'cause DC was one of my favorite PnP games.

Actually, it seems to be a furious mix of pretty much every modern-setting conspiracy or horror PnP RPG known to man: Unknown Armies, Conspiracy X, Dark Conspiracy, Delta Green... Which isn't surprising seeing as how they all pretty much draw on similar bodies of pop-fiction and pseudohistory. Particularly Lovecraft, Leigh & Baigent, and Shea & Anton Wilson.

The game poster reminds me strongly of Eternal Darkness for the Gamecube, which is not at all a bad thing.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #68 on: May 15, 2007, 02:00:19 PM

Actually, it seems to be a furious mix of pretty much every modern-setting conspiracy or horror PnP RPG known to man: Unknown Armies, Conspiracy X, Dark Conspiracy, Delta Green... Which isn't surprising seeing as how they all pretty much draw on similar bodies of pop-fiction and pseudohistory. Particularly Lovecraft, Leigh & Baigent, and Shea & Anton Wilson.

The game poster reminds me strongly of Eternal Darkness for the Gamecube, which is not at all a bad thing.

Bingo. And if it has one or two of the occasional, "oh shit" moments that or Dark Corners of the Earth had, my tiny little mythos heart will grow three sizes in delight...  evil

SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: May 15, 2007, 05:01:06 PM

This is promising:

We started proper preproduction on the project in 2002, before moving the whole team over to Dreamfall in mid-2003. We even had a playable demo of Cabal ready for E3 ‘03, using a completely different engine from what we’re using today. We started the project back up last spring, right after Dreamfall shipped, and the core team has a lot of ex-Dreamfallers, including the art director and audio director, several artists and animators, and a couple of the designers, so it feels like a family thing - which is great.

For the past year, we’ve been keeping a low profile, working hard, and producing lots of great stuff - including a fully playable game that’s currently running in the demo room next door to my office. But we’re not ready to show that off. Yet. I am, however, extremely excited about this project, and I feel it’s going to be the best game I’ve ever worked on.

Found here, at Ragnar Tornquist's blog.

Looked up some art assets from Dreamfall, and to I'm impressed for something 7 years old would be an understatement.  Great looking visuals and art style.

I wonder if they're using middleware for the engine or if it's homegrown?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 52 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  The Secret World  |  Topic: Dark Days Are Coming - New Funcom Project  
Jump to: