Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:57:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Hellgate: London  |  Topic: HellGate: London Subscription Information 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: HellGate: London Subscription Information  (Read 42376 times)
schild
Administrator

on: May 08, 2007, 06:17:54 PM

According to the details reprinted by Hellgate Guru, Hellgate: London online players will have the option of paying a $9.95 monthly fee for an Elite subscription, which confers a number of advantages over the standard free online membership. For their payment, Elite subscribers will receive 12 character slots rather than three, access to a Diablo II-esque Hardcore mode, the freedom to bypass server queues, account-wide storage for 40 items (as opposed to 20 items for non-Elites), permission to create guilds and attain officer status, distinguishing Elite features, in-game VIP shuttles, and 24-hour customer support. Elite and non-Elite players may interact fully within the game world, and non-Elite players may join guilds.

Flagship plans to support Hellgate: London with regularly released additional content, potentially as frequently as twice a month. Studio CEO Bill Roper has noted that Flagship has always planned to add content to the game on a regular basis, but would need an appropriate financial model to do so.

"What you're getting with that service is you're getting 24/7 customer service, secure servers, databases, and the biggest thing is that you're getting continuing content," Roper explained to Shacknews in January, prior to the pricing finalization. "We'll have a full dev team that's on the project from day one. Actually, right when you buy the game, when it launches there will already be content available that you can't get in the single-player--additional monsters, areas, all the community and economy things, you'll be able to form guilds, auction houses, all those things you expect from MMOs."

So.

Hardcore Mode.

Oh man.

Oh, that feels good.
Xerapis
Contributor

Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 06:29:46 PM

I remember when Diablo 2 first came out a buddy of mine decided to try that hardcore thing.

I was there when his level 24 paladin died.  He almost cried.  It was tragically funny.

..I want to see gamma rays. I want to hear x-rays. I want to...smell dark matter...and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me...
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 06:33:08 PM

And now you get to pay them to have them hammer your nuts into pancakes!

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 06:41:18 PM

Hardcore mode. Time for a new Trammel/Felucca derail.

Jokes aside...

the freedom to bypass server queues

Oh queues are a feature now.

schild
Administrator

Reply #4 on: May 08, 2007, 07:00:48 PM

No, being able to bypass a queue is a feature.

I bet this payment system shows Guild Wars what they SHOULD have done.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #5 on: May 08, 2007, 07:44:14 PM

Doesn't Archlord do something similar, or do they have escalating subscription tiers instead of a free/paying difference?

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #6 on: May 09, 2007, 04:30:25 AM

I think this is great.

Also, I loved hardcore mode.  I think I might be the only on who never had a Diablo 2 character over L75 (I miss my firewall sorcy).  Hell, me and the bud used to have L1-45 down in one sitting.  Basically, it appeals to my altitis to be able to just say "ah well" and move on.

schild
Administrator

Reply #7 on: May 09, 2007, 04:32:01 AM

I think this is great.

Also, I loved hardcore mode.  I think I might be the only on who never had a Diablo 2 character over L75 (I miss my firewall sorcy).  Hell, me and the bud used to have L1-45 down in one sitting.  Basically, it appeals to my altitis to be able to just say "ah well" and move on.

Yup. And you're not the only person to get a character over 75. I got at least 4 over 75. Diablo 2 was good to me.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2007, 04:33:35 AM by schild »
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: May 09, 2007, 05:17:24 AM

Yup. And you're not the only person to get a character over 75. I got at least 4 over 75. Diablo 2 was good to me.

I think I might be the only one who never had a Diablo 2 character over L75 (I miss my firewall sorcy). 
schild
Administrator

Reply #9 on: May 09, 2007, 05:21:28 AM

Hey. Look at that.

I can't read.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #10 on: May 09, 2007, 06:44:16 AM

Flagship plans to support Hellgate: London with regularly released additional content, potentially as frequently as twice a month.
Yeah. Potentially.

Hmm. Pay for decent support and features that should be in the shipping client. Nifty. I don't buy the whole 'continuing content' shit. Put out an expansion, bitches.

Also, thanks for reminding me it'd be filled with Diablo players (dupers and pks). And made by Diablo people.

So I can pretty much pass on this one.
schild
Administrator

Reply #11 on: May 09, 2007, 07:51:41 AM

You're not paying for features that should be in the shipping client. It's all extra shit. People are still getting what was originally promised in the regular non-elite edition IN ADDITION to persistant server-side characters and mmorpg gameplay.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: May 09, 2007, 08:00:57 AM

I just wonder how painful they will make it to insure people pay.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #13 on: May 09, 2007, 08:04:10 AM

Why won't the demo come out?  Why?   huh

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
schild
Administrator

Reply #14 on: May 09, 2007, 08:07:10 AM

Demo won't hit until Mythos beta is over... probably.
El Gallo
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: May 09, 2007, 08:08:23 AM

Ten bucks a month for battle.net?  If the game's good enough, people will pay I guess.  Blizz should ram out a D2 expansion as an excuse to offer a "premiere" battle.net for 10 bucks a month.  An absurd number of people are playing that still (I've recently been re-sucked into it, which happens once or twice a year -- I'd probably pay for them not to wipe my characters every 3 months or whatever).

This post makes me want to squeeze into my badass red jeans.
schild
Administrator

Reply #16 on: May 09, 2007, 08:15:41 AM

It's not just Battle.net. Why do people keep saying this? Go look at Mythos - which is an MMORPG version of Fate. It's a little more than Battle.net. The server isn't just a hub for matching people up.
Dren
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: May 09, 2007, 08:28:16 AM

It's not just Battle.net. Why do people keep saying this?

Because of the hate.  You know.  Any excuse not to sound optimistic, cuz that ain't cool.

I'll give this a go on free mode and if it is good, I'll pay.  Seems pretty simple to me.  I also like that method better than GW.  I bought the first two, but just can't get over that $39.99 hump when I see it on the shelves.  Now I'm two expansions behind and never going back.  I suppose if they ever put out a 3 pack special or something, but I'm basically not paying or playing until then.  Not good for them.

If all I have to do is go sign up again, to see what's changed since my last play session, I'll be right there.  If they have a game that is truly a D2 MMOG, $9.99 a month will not stop me for even a second.  We shall see.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: May 09, 2007, 08:47:04 AM

They should tier the content releases too.  If you pay the $9.99 you are a month ahead on the content. The peons get it a month later.

"I'm sorry - only first class tickets are available to XYZ zone, we should have more flights available next month." Then have the pop-up saying this content is only available to "Subscribers currently and will be available to the general public on XX/XX/XX". And then when the each subscriber only month is just about over, put out a patch notes that state, "Drop rates in XYZ zone were decreased due to balance issues." To tick off the non-subscribers.

El Gallo
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: May 09, 2007, 08:50:07 AM

It's not just Battle.net. Why do people keep saying this? Go look at Mythos - which is an MMORPG version of Fate. It's a little more than Battle.net. The server isn't just a hub for matching people up.

In my case it's ignorance.  I always thought HG:L was going to be played on a battle.net-esque system.  There's no info I can see on that Mythos site telling me what the nature of online play there.  Fate was a diablo clone imo.  Are Mythos and HG:L supposed to be more like Guild Wars (battle.net with common areas instead of chat rooms for trades and matchups?)  Or will they actually be MMOGs?  Because I can't imagine they are hosting real MMO servers for free, and you only pay for a bigger bank and the ability to found a guild.  The line is admittedly slippery.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2007, 08:52:29 AM by El Gallo »

schild
Administrator

Reply #20 on: May 09, 2007, 08:56:17 AM

Hellgate: London was supposed to be The Next Diablo from day 1. Just saying.
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #21 on: May 09, 2007, 08:58:45 AM

That's a respectable pricing scheme. I see myself playing a Diablo-style game just as much as I'd play an MMO, if not more.

I'm more then willing to pay that price, considering it's still 5 bucks a month under the current MMO pricing schema.

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #22 on: May 09, 2007, 09:24:34 AM

I think I might be the only one who never had a Diablo 2 character over L75 (I miss my firewall sorcy). 

Does never finishing the game count?   How about being so bored 1/2 way into the first mission of act 2 you fell asleep and uninstalled the game.

Some people don't get MMOs, I don't get Diablo.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: May 09, 2007, 09:34:51 AM

Comedy Gold going on here...about the fee.

http://hellgateguru.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3873

schild
Administrator

Reply #24 on: May 09, 2007, 09:51:20 AM

Guys.

There are shitty MMO's out there made by 12yr olds that give you more for that price :P

MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: May 09, 2007, 09:52:00 AM

Does never finishing the game count?   How about being so bored 1/2 way into the first mission of act 2 you fell asleep and uninstalled the game.

What part about I miss my firewall sorcy implies that I didn't have a character over L75 because I didn't enjoy the game.

I'm done w/ posting for the day.  Nothing I say is making sense to anyone.

I should've just written: "Due to the overwhelming fun I had while playing Diablo 2 in hardcore mode....blahblahblah".
El Gallo
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: May 09, 2007, 09:54:53 AM

Hellgate: London was supposed to be The Next Diablo from day 1. Just saying.

...which may be why "people keep saying" that its online play system will be very much like battle.net?  I'm asking you to explain to me how it is different because I honestly don't know.  I'm not being an ass (yet).  I really don't know but would like to know (so I could proceed to be an informed ass on this topic in the future).

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #27 on: May 09, 2007, 09:59:08 AM

What part about I miss my firewall sorcy implies that I didn't have a character over L75 because I didn't enjoy the game.

I'm done w/ posting for the day.  Nothing I say is making sense to anyone.

I should've just written: "Due to the overwhelming fun I had while playing Diablo 2 in hardcore mode....blahblahblah".

Drink some coffee or something, I didn't say you didn't enjoy it.

You asked if you were the only person not to hit 75, I asked if never finishing counted as being one of the people to never have a 75.  The implication being that I never finished. tongue  See, it's a case of you misunderstanding me here, not the other way 'round.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: May 09, 2007, 10:03:34 AM

Yer right.

I need more coffee.

Stupid Patent Bar Test.
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: May 09, 2007, 10:13:19 AM

Someone get me in Mythos alpha/beta/gamma, please.

Thanks.
schild
Administrator

Reply #30 on: May 09, 2007, 10:20:16 AM

Someone get me in Mythos alpha/beta/gamma, please.

Thanks.

/agree
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: May 09, 2007, 10:25:36 AM

I never got to 75 either. I always liked it for a while, got distracted by a different game, restarted with a new character.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: May 09, 2007, 11:14:57 AM

I never quite hit 75 with my Amazon after several years of on and off playing.

I wonder if a cancelled subscriber keeps any of the elite goodies up to the point they stop or if they lose all access.  I'm also still waiting to hear if there is LAN play.  Networking has come a long way since the first Diablo, but the option is still important to me.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #33 on: May 09, 2007, 11:20:48 AM

You're not paying for features that should be in the shipping client. It's all extra shit.
I told you not to drink that glass of koolaid. Now look at what you did.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #34 on: May 09, 2007, 11:21:11 AM

If it has Diablo level of quality(unlike Dungeon Runners), if the content updates are worthwhile, if the maps are random than it'd be worth it.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2007, 11:55:59 AM by tazelbain »

"Me am play gods"
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Hellgate: London  |  Topic: HellGate: London Subscription Information  
Jump to: