Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 10:34:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Where do you get your olympics news from? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Where do you get your olympics news from?  (Read 4809 times)
Comstar
Terracotta Army

on: August 16, 2004, 07:18:42 PM

CNN's online page has 2 stories (one dedicated to a 3rd place geter) and lots of ads.

The offical athens sites has news but it's sandwitiched between ads for the Atheanian transport system.

Abc.net.au has good news following Australian stories, but stuff all else.

Where is everyone getting their news about it from?

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: August 16, 2004, 07:23:18 PM

I'm guess that for most people here, the answer is "nowhere."

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: August 16, 2004, 07:26:45 PM

From the dude upstairs who just told me that not a SINGLE one of the Canadian swim team managed to get past the Qualifying Round......WTFH is up with that shit?!

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: August 16, 2004, 09:37:30 PM

Yahoo.  What?  I'm serious.  It's not deep coverage but they seem to touch base on most things.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Ezdaar
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: August 16, 2004, 10:20:42 PM

BBC seems to have excellent coverage. With video feeds if you're not in the US as well, fucking NBC.
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: August 16, 2004, 11:48:12 PM

There's an Olympics going on?

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
SirBruce
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: August 17, 2004, 03:32:17 AM

Won't someone please bring back Battle of the Network Stars?  That show was da bomb.

Bruce
Arcadian Del Sol
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: August 17, 2004, 04:36:24 AM

Quote from: SirBruce
Won't someone please bring back Battle of the Network Stars?  That show was da bomb.

Bruce

Yup. Reality TV was invented in the 70s.
If BotNS had a Hall of Fame, my first vote is for Dick Van Patten.

unbannable
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: August 17, 2004, 06:02:31 AM

Quote from: Arcadian Del Sol

If BotNS had a Hall of Fame, my first vote is for Dick Van Patten.

I see your Dick Van Patten and raise you one Charles Nelson Reilly.
Madman
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: August 17, 2004, 06:06:58 AM

I use archaic writings called newspapers! Since I work midnights, I also watch a lot of it on the nightly reruns.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #10 on: August 17, 2004, 06:49:04 AM

Quote from: naum
There's an Olympics going on?

I think maybe they mean the football pre-season. Damn, the Bills drafted a nice rookie QB imo.
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: August 17, 2004, 07:24:06 AM

http://www.athens2004.com/athens2004/page/legacy?lang=en&cid=dd7e01e3ac979f00VgnVCMServer28130b0aRCRD

Just be sure you get permission before linking to the official Athens 2004 web site:

For your protection and ours we have established a procedure for parties wishing to introduce a link to the ATHENS 2004 website on their site. By introducing a link to the ATHENS 2004 official Website on your site you are agreeing to comply with the ATHENS 2004 Website General Terms and Conditions. In order to place a link embedded in copy interested parties should:

a) Use the term ATHENS 2004 only, and no other term as the text referent

b) Not associate the link with any image, esp. the ATHENS 2004 Emblem (see paragraph below)

c) Send a request letter to the Internet Department stating:

Short description of site

Reason for linking

Unique URL containing the link (if no unique URL than just the main URL)

Publishing period

Contact point (e-mail address)

Once the request has been mailed, interested parties can proceed to include the link and will only receive a response if ATHENS 2004 does not accept the link. All requests should be sent to:

The Internet Department
Iolkou 8 and Filikis Eterias str.
GR-142 34 N. Ionia, Athens
Tel: +30 210 2004 000
Fax: +30 210 2004 800
e-mail: (All information submitted using this e-mail address is governed by the ATHENS 2004 Privacy Policy)
terms@athens2004.gr

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Arcadian Del Sol
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: August 17, 2004, 07:50:51 AM

Based on what I've seen of televised coverage, I'm guessing that similarly tyrannical Terms and Conditions are imposed on ticket sales.

unbannable
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: August 17, 2004, 08:13:13 AM

Quote from: naum
http://www.athens2004.com/athens2004/page/legacy?lang=en&cid=dd7e01e3ac979f00VgnVCMServer28130b0aRCRD

Just be sure you get permission before linking to the official Athens 2004 web site:

legal blah claiming they have legal power to refuse permission for you to link to a website.

I enjoyed how all this appears on a page subtitled "In the true spirit of the games".

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #14 on: August 17, 2004, 08:40:52 AM

Quote from: SirBruce

I always enjoyed the Circus of the Stars thing on CBS.

As for Olympic News, I have ESPNRadio.com streaming at work all day long so I get plenty of updates from them. Makes watching the event 8 hours later kinda pointless to me.
WayAbvPar

Reply #15 on: August 17, 2004, 09:16:14 AM

I might be bothered to watch some of the coverage if it was closer to live. Unfortunately, Greece is on the other side of the world, so all we get is NBC's insipid coverage. God I fucking hate their 'Rah Rah America' bullshit.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
daveNYC
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: August 17, 2004, 09:20:23 AM

I was getting pissed off at their 'Go USA' crap too.  I mean really, it's fucking crew.
Arcadian Del Sol
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: August 17, 2004, 09:25:35 AM

I AGREE. TEH OLYMPICS ARE TOO MUCH ABOUT NATIONAL PRIDE. ITS NOT WHAT ITS FOR ANYWAYS.

unbannable
daveNYC
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: August 17, 2004, 10:07:08 AM

Crew vs. Canada.  The fucking announcer was going off like it was the Miracle on Ice.  I don't really need some network tool going off every five minutes with some sort of drugged up hyper-patriotic attitude.  I'm watching this for some light entertainment, and if necessary I'll use the mute button.

The only 'sport' I pay any attention to is women's beach volleyball, and I really don't need any voice over to help me appreciate the sport.

Amy Acuff is hot too.
Dark Vengeance
Delinquents

Reply #19 on: August 17, 2004, 11:55:28 AM

Quote from: daveNYC
Crew vs. Canada.  The fucking announcer was going off like it was the Miracle on Ice.

"Do you believe in pleasant, yet insignificant surprises? YES!!!!"

Bring the noise.
Cheers..............
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #20 on: August 17, 2004, 12:27:09 PM

It's the Olympics. Who gives a flying fuck?

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Where do you get your olympics news from?  
Jump to: