Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:47:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars  |  Topic: GW2 and GW1 leaked info from GDC 2007 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: GW2 and GW1 leaked info from GDC 2007  (Read 34069 times)
ynot
Terracotta Army

on: March 05, 2007, 11:05:58 PM

every on knows that A.net had been working on a new projet for several months, and that they were not working on a chp4 for GW1

the inq leaked some info yesterday http://the-inquirer.net/default.aspx?article=37986

next A.net game to be released will be an "extension" not a chapter is "100% oriented towards games with characters of maximum level." 18 Missions, 40 new armour sets, 10 new Heroes and massive 150 new skills, out of which 50 belong only to PvE (Player versus Enviroment).
and GW "2" just have to ask your self what can they do with a new game that they cant with that one
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 06:57:09 AM

So their business model is completely scrapped and they're taking a massive risk that they'll piss off their subscribers? Sounds about like NCSoft, yeah.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #2 on: March 06, 2007, 07:06:56 AM

The link reads like a fucking 6th-grade homework assignment.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #3 on: March 06, 2007, 08:05:13 AM

Meh.

I'd prefer the current release schedule, but I guess it's not surprising that they have to do a restart.  9 professions is already a lot, to try to maintain the balance they have is quickly going to become impossible with 2 more professions every 6 months.

their subscribers?

Not a word I'd use, given the lack of subscription.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2007, 08:08:11 AM by Llava »

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #4 on: March 06, 2007, 08:12:35 AM

Yep, they fucked it up royally.  The chapter model kinda assumed the PvE wasn't boring as mowing grass and they failed.  And the stupid tournaments they have their hearts set on don't sell boxes.  It's funny to watch people play away from their strengths.

"Me am play gods"
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: March 06, 2007, 08:22:20 AM

Yeah, fair enough on the subscribers thing. Devotees? Fans?

It was apparent in beta that the thing was a mess in retrospect. Not a mess technically, as it's very good technically, but the schizophrenic battle between pve and pvp they had going on. Don't get me wrong, I own all the expansions because they're PRETTY. I go through each one once on my necromancer before putting it down until the next one. It wasn't the pvp godsend they made it out to be.

Now maybe they'll fix that in GW2. I sort of doubt it but I'd like to think they will. If they move to a subscription model, though, they can eat a massive bowl of dicks. They've not shown me a single thing that makes it more than a once in a while game for me.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: March 06, 2007, 08:43:33 AM

Who announces two products at once?  Bad marketing IMO.

I tried to like GW I REALLY tried.  But the pve is dull and the 'world' is as shallow as the kiddie pool.  It's a great looking game but it just wasn't for me.

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #7 on: March 06, 2007, 12:03:29 PM

I want to eventually buy the expansions to this, as I only have the original release product. While the game is far from perfect, I think the devs here did a lot of good things with the game, such as not having "level" be the determining factor of performance in PvP. Same with time, because time simply gives you a chance to get More skills. I loved that you could only take a set number of skills into any conflict; not only did it make most characters vulnerable to Something, it also forced players to make choices, and in the end allowed for a wide variety of setups.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Llava
Contributor

Reply #8 on: March 06, 2007, 08:33:17 PM

I really do think that Guild Wars is the most elegantly designed MMO out there, but PvE is at best an acquired taste and at worst... well, that's been said.

The PvP is great.  Really.  But there has to be a way to make it mean more.  And that way shouldn't necessitate joining a dedicated PvP guild.

But no other MMO out there has had me spending as much time thinking about new strategies as Guild Wars.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: March 07, 2007, 07:16:09 AM

I'll absolutely agree with that assessment, Llava. It just boiled down to being promised a pvp game and getting... something else. The pvp is mechanically great, well balanced... and utterly bland and meaningless.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: March 07, 2007, 11:25:01 AM

I'm guessing GW2 or whatever won't run on my shitty PC :(

That was one of the key selling points about GW for me, it looked great and ran smooth, even on my ass of a PC.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: March 11, 2007, 09:39:53 AM

So if anyone was wondering what the Asura were that were mentioned in that article, here's an official pic: http://www.guildwars.com/press/asurapet.php

Going away from GW's game and make GW2 can allow them to change a lot of design constraints that I think held them back from doing a lot of things that they wanted.  However, just from that small blurb (which obviously isn't much to go on) it does sound a bit like they are making the game more MMORPG-ish and less CORPG-ish.  It also makes me wonder with that coming out, and people here talking about the NC All (NCSoft's equivalent of the station pass) if it will be a pay to play game as well.  I guess we'll see.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #12 on: March 11, 2007, 10:02:28 AM

I'm betting on Pay-To-Play.  Why?  The damn things make so much money, and Arena.net hasn't even come close to pushing out the # of expansions needed in the amount of time needed to match the model. 

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Llava
Contributor

Reply #13 on: March 11, 2007, 01:24:12 PM

I know they did mention, I believe at E3, that the player reaction to the inability to jump was something they considered and learned from.

So maybe this next one will have more Z-axis stuff.

Wild speculation on my part.

Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: March 11, 2007, 07:42:02 PM

I'm betting on Pay-To-Play.  Why?  The damn things make so much money, and Arena.net hasn't even come close to pushing out the # of expansions needed in the amount of time needed to match the model. 

That may be true but I think that the reason they made so much money is because they were free. You make GW2 pay to play and you may as well be starting from scratch; they'll lose a remarkable amount of their player base.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #15 on: March 11, 2007, 09:35:26 PM

That may be true but I think that the reason they made so much money is because they were free. You make GW2 pay to play and you may as well be starting from scratch; they'll lose a remarkable amount of their player base.
ArenaNet has been losing money for NCsoft since the beginning -- with losses totalling around US$6 million in FY 2006 which ended in February 2007.

Edit: totalling not totally
« Last Edit: March 12, 2007, 09:14:46 PM by Trippy »
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #16 on: March 11, 2007, 10:05:20 PM

I meant Pay-per-month MMOs, not GW  itself.  GW I can see as a losing proposition since, as I said, they just can't produce fast enough.

Llava
Contributor

Reply #17 on: March 11, 2007, 10:09:25 PM

It was a nice try, but it really did seem like a dubious model to begin with.  Especially given the amount of work put into this game regularly.  Every weekend has some sort of event, and many of those include unique programming and art.  If it was just a little more worldy, I'd absolutely pay to play.

Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: March 12, 2007, 07:54:49 AM

I might. It's the game I want to love but can't. But I'm also treading water in WoW until WAR and Conan come out so I'm ripe for something new.

The problem is that GW is a brand and that brand is associated with free. Go to gwonline and read the forums or pay attention to chat and the people who log in everyday are obnoxiously proud they've not been suckered into paying a monthly fee. I think the nerd rage is going to be deafening when they go pay to play.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #19 on: March 12, 2007, 08:28:04 AM

I hope they give up on trying to make GW a professional sport.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2007, 01:19:31 PM by tazelbain »

"Me am play gods"
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: March 12, 2007, 01:16:47 PM

ArenaNet has been losing money for NCsoft since the beginning -- with losses totally around US$6 million in FY 2006 which ended in February 2007.

Do you have any sources for the Anet losing money for NCSoft thing?  I'd really be interested in seeing that.
Llava
Contributor

Reply #21 on: March 12, 2007, 02:20:48 PM

I'd like to see those numbers, too.  Not entirely convinced of the veracity of that statement.  I'd believe it, but it would be the first I've heard of it.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #22 on: March 12, 2007, 02:42:15 PM

NCSoft  makes those numbers public where other folks just give us general "oh yeah we're around here... ".  Hrose used to post links to them all the time.

In fact, a quick Google for "NCSoft subscription numbers" brings up his site.  That's mildly amusing.

Anywho, Here is a .zip of their most recent (q406) earnings statements.   Link stolen from Hrose again.

KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: March 12, 2007, 03:40:18 PM

heh, that's definitely interesting.  Thanks for the link
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #24 on: March 12, 2007, 05:52:52 PM

NCSoft  makes those numbers public where other folks just give us general "oh yeah we're around here... ".  Hrose used to post links to them all the time.

In fact, a quick Google for "NCSoft subscription numbers" brings up his site.  That's mildly amusing.

Anywho, Here is a .zip of their most recent (q406) earnings statements.   Link stolen from Hrose again.
Yes I used to post them here too when I was doing the news, like here:

http://forums.f13.net/index.php?topic=7815.msg212117#msg212117

and yes that's where I got the ArenaNet losses from. They use a consistent naming scheme for their earnings slides so you can pull down the old ones as well by changing the year and quarter numbers.
ynot
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: March 15, 2007, 02:40:37 PM

<3 KallDrexx I was surprise to see you here but I guees you have always been leet ;)
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: March 15, 2007, 06:45:48 PM

I am everywhere and nowheres at once!
<3 long time no see.  Then again, one of us stopped playing GW ;)
ynot
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: March 16, 2007, 11:53:38 PM

Nc was keen enough to give some more exclusive infor about chp4 and GW2 to a russian news paper
http://www.igromania.ru/GameNews/17277/Guild_Wars_2_yeksklyuziv_ot_Igromanii.htm
it confirm the leak and add the following info:

GWEotN is the last of teh GW, it will take place in ascalon or nearby, we will see norns and asura

GW2 will take place in ascalon but century before, 5 playble race, Norn are shape changer, dynamic quest creation, more interaction with the envoronement (we heard that b4) and some way for group to encounter them self while exploring (if i got it right) eta 2008/9
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: March 17, 2007, 07:19:41 AM

Since I cannot read it myself for obvious reasons, does it specifically say it got the information elsewhere (i.e. I'ts not just translation of the inquierer article like the others are)?
ynot
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: March 18, 2007, 01:23:15 PM

no it aint a translation of teh enq. they got an exclusive from nc and published a teaser to boos there paper sale.

it confirms most of the info of the inq. + teh stuff i translated.
to be noted that I think that is says that there will be no instance in GW2 (they says: the world will be global and group will be able to encounter each other)
ynot
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: March 20, 2007, 07:27:08 AM

this leak goes to everyone I  Heart

=> GWEN
* Will take place near Ascalon
* Battle between the friendly Factions Norns and Asura  and the Evil Destroyer
* There will be a link between GW 1 and GW2, depending how successful you are in GW1 you will get armor/magic bonus in GW2.
* GWEN is not going to add a lot more content A.net will price it moderately

=> GW2
* takes place near ascalon area (years before)
* no subscription
* 5 races: Norns , Humain, Charrs, Asuras and sylvaris (elf nice looking)
* as many skills as for prophecie
* GW1 Character will not be transferable to GW2
* beta starts 2008
* PVE and PVP on 2 different Servers
* No instances
* No level cap at lvl 20
* More interaction with the environment / jump swim etc...
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #31 on: March 20, 2007, 07:32:33 AM

Weird. Moving toward Diku instead of away.

"Me am play gods"
Llava
Contributor

Reply #32 on: March 20, 2007, 07:33:46 AM

Bleh.  Elona and Cantha are much more interesting than Tyria, and Ascalon is the least interesting part of Tyria.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #33 on: March 20, 2007, 07:35:42 AM

Weird. Moving toward Diku instead of away.
If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.
ynot
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: March 20, 2007, 08:01:38 AM

in all of a second Trippy just sounded like a Darkvader to me
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars  |  Topic: GW2 and GW1 leaked info from GDC 2007  
Jump to: