Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:24:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: War 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 233 Go Down Print
Author Topic: War  (Read 1923393 times)
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #630 on: May 18, 2007, 12:06:00 PM

Come on dude, you're generalizing pretty heavy here. OH NOES, YOU WERE IN GOONIES! BANNZORED FOR LIFE

Plenty of 0.0 alliances aren't as elitest as you and your buddies and would accept an ex-goon, if the fucker had any amount of tact.
I'm sure there might be a corp or two out there that has not yet had ex-goonies join them and rob them blind, or had people steal from them and then join the Goons.  But not many.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
LC
Terracotta Army

Reply #631 on: May 18, 2007, 02:03:47 PM

So people hate bob because they can't join. That's a pretty good reason.

Are you in BoB?  Is it really like being in an elite band of space ninja's?

Not only is he in bob, but he was given a 55 million SP character. Which then helped him "get a leg up" in bob.

Now he talks down to us.

I wonder what'll happen to Eve when the GM-funded alliance crushes the only opposition they'll see. My interest in Eve is already at it's lowest ever. We'll see if that 'couldn't care less' addage is really true. Every day I don't think I can care any less, but every day I'm proven wrong.

What was I supposed to do? Go back to empire and play solo till I got bored and quit again? You were the one that left me behind to join the "10 dollar membership fee cool kids club" called Goonfleet. After joining Goonfleet all you did was brag about it and talk down to me. Did you see me crying about it on a forum?

I joined BoB as part of the Shinra merger. The 55mil SP character had nothing to do with it. You knew that already though.

Quit being so bitter about it. Being in goonfleet doesn't make you some sort of tragic hero.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #632 on: May 18, 2007, 03:53:12 PM

This is the week for MMO drama it seems!   :-D

The real question about the 9-9 fight is how many Dreads were GoonDreads and how many more are potentially on the way? SP for SP a GoonDread is probably well behind a RA/BoB/AAA/MC dread, but if they start showing up with a few dozen where ever they go...

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #633 on: May 18, 2007, 10:14:11 PM

So people hate bob because they can't join. That's a pretty good reason.

Are you in BoB?  Is it really like being in an elite band of space ninja's?

Not only is he in bob, but he was given a 55 million SP character. Which then helped him "get a leg up" in bob.

Now he talks down to us.

I wonder what'll happen to Eve when the GM-funded alliance crushes the only opposition they'll see. My interest in Eve is already at it's lowest ever. We'll see if that 'couldn't care less' addage is really true. Every day I don't think I can care any less, but every day I'm proven wrong.

What was I supposed to do? Go back to empire and play solo till I got bored and quit again? You were the one that left me behind to join the "10 dollar membership fee cool kids club" called Goonfleet. After joining Goonfleet all you did was brag about it and talk down to me. Did you see me crying about it on a forum?

I joined BoB as part of the Shinra merger. The 55mil SP character had nothing to do with it. You knew that already though.

Quit being so bitter about it. Being in goonfleet doesn't make you some sort of tragic hero.

You were speaking earlier about how skill should matter more than numbers, now it turns out you are playing a high sp character that someone gave you and were a member of LV which was one of the largest alliances in the game.

I think the only way you can redeem the situation is to email Richard Kyanka at somethingawful, I'd suggest starting the email with a polite "Dear Richard" and then really lay into him about the troubles his practices have caused your space guild.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #634 on: May 18, 2007, 10:30:03 PM

I'm sure there might be a corp or two out there that has not yet had ex-goonies join them and rob them blind, or had people steal from them and then join the Goons.  But not many.

--Dave

Stealing or offlining control towers is not against the rules as laid down by CCP, it's just another tactic to be used, CCP even protect the identity of spies in these situations.  You certainly aren't intending to say that your side in this war doesn't use the same tactics are you?

Edit to add

Dave, remember this?  August 2004

http://terranova.blogs.com/terra_nova/2004/08/an_intergalacti.html

Damn.... I've paid good money for Sci-Fi novels that weren't nearly as interesting. It would make a good short for Analog. Oh, waitaminute, you mean this isn't fiction?

A fine morality play, I think.

--Dave

Nightfreeze is a goon, did reading about a goon members scam play any part in you starting to play Eve?

« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 10:37:22 PM by Arthur_Parker »
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #635 on: May 18, 2007, 10:42:30 PM

Hold the phone. I can moderate this better than that one post.

Edit: There, "SA sux" idiocy split off and denned. I took more than I wanted to, but I didn't want to isolate just LC's post. Quit being douchetards; what you think of another forum on the internet has no serious bearing on the war.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 10:47:10 PM by Yoru »
LC
Terracotta Army

Reply #636 on: May 18, 2007, 11:07:05 PM

You were speaking earlier about how skill should matter more than numbers, now it turns out you are playing a high sp character that someone gave you and were a member of LV which was one of the largest alliances in the game.

I joined LV just before Shinra merged with Reikoku. It wasn't very big at the time.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #637 on: May 19, 2007, 02:17:05 AM

In other news, 9-9 and LXWN have both transferred Sovereignty, and McFIX destroyed a D2 capital yard POS.  Rumor is that it contained a Nyx, but no confirmation.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
LC
Terracotta Army

Reply #638 on: May 19, 2007, 02:52:10 PM

In other news, 9-9 and LXWN have both transferred Sovereignty, and McFIX destroyed a D2 capital yard POS.  Rumor is that it contained a Nyx, but no confirmation.

--Dave

And Goonfleet is broke.

Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #639 on: May 19, 2007, 03:13:25 PM

The Goonfleet leadership is broke and most of them are out of town at Rem's wedding, there's a lot of discussion at the moment on what to do in the long term.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #640 on: May 19, 2007, 04:25:51 PM

It could be worse - we could be trying to POS-spam our way across Omist. We'd all be broke then.
Seriously, whoever designed that region is a bona fides sadist: "Most systems with 40-60+ moons? I like it! I can almost taste the sweet tears of desparing logistics pilots already"

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #641 on: May 19, 2007, 05:01:27 PM

Well I hoipe goonswarm start using those dreads they went broke buying, or the war will be over (though AAA and RA woulnd't be directly effected).

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
LC
Terracotta Army

Reply #642 on: May 19, 2007, 06:43:55 PM

Well I hoipe goonswarm start using those dreads they went broke buying, or the war will be over (though AAA and RA woulnd't be directly effected).

Sure they would. Goonswarm is the meat shield protecting RA's  isk farming operation.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

Reply #643 on: May 19, 2007, 07:47:38 PM

If they had gotten a decent number of dreads into the field while the Northern Coalition was still pushing hard in the west, it might have made a difference.  Either much more extensive gains in the south, or throw a hammer-blow behind the northern wedge.  Now, they have to try and build Dreads faster than BoB can kill them, and not lose ground too fast.

If they're counting on MC being recalled from the north, or BoB not having the stamina for a long war of attrition (remember the ASCN war?), they've got a *big* problem.  BoB isn't going to let the pressure off the north, and they don't do "battle fatigue", they're a totally martial alliance that is more at risk from extended peace than constant warfare.

The goons have one big weakness that stems from their greatest strength: They don't take the game seriously, it's just internet spaceships.  Being on the defensive isn't fun.  Being hammered week after week by superior forces isn't fun.  The "Elitist" alliances that take it seriously and believe the relationships they have in the game are as real as any others, are more likely to stick with it when it gets tough.  Look at what FIX just went through, 4 solid months of constant attacks, always being outnumbered in our own space, *never* being able to just log in and do whatever we wanted.  It's not fair to ask if the Goons could survive that because the truth is FIX is an extreme example, everyone who couldn't take it long since left and we've built a culture of "better to be losers than quitters" that can tolerate pressure that would make most alliances implode.

Now is a bad time to be going broke as an alliance.  Look at Revelations 2, run the numbers on what it's going to take to build up the infrastructure for the next wave.  Roughly 10 constellations per region, 3 outposts per constellation, 6-10 POS per outpost (and upgraded POS that will be much more expensive than the current models).  Look at those vast swaths of RA and GS territory, do the math.  Even RA's wallet isn't deep enough.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #644 on: May 19, 2007, 09:20:29 PM

If they had gotten a decent number of dreads into the field while the Northern Coalition was still pushing hard in the west, it might have made a difference.

That is the one thing I am really curious about, is the lack of dreads in the field due to some strategic move(or being dead broke), or did the goons just not have the pilots yet. It takes quite a while to train up to fly a dread, so I get this amusing image of GoonPilots going "Ding DreadCaptainering done lawl!" then having their dread issued on the spot.

A hundred dreads in the hanger don't do you much good if you only have a dozen pilots for them.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #645 on: May 19, 2007, 10:26:08 PM

That's the part I don't get about the large alliances. They don't seem to use their numbers very effectively. For example, the goons have 4000 people. If each of them killed lets say 20 1 mil battleships and donated that money it would be 80 billion. Are 3/4ths of their members just not active or what.
LC
Terracotta Army

Reply #646 on: May 19, 2007, 11:00:41 PM

That's the part I don't get about the large alliances. They don't seem to use their numbers very effectively. For example, the goons have 4000 people. If each of them killed lets say 20 1 mil battleships and donated that money it would be 80 billion. Are 3/4ths of their members just not active or what.

I don't think it's that. Most of the goons are just there for easy 0.0 access. They don't give a fuck about the alliance. All they do is mine bistot/arkonor all day and watch their wallet grow. There were still goons running around in haulers and ospreys as we took 9-9 away from them.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #647 on: May 20, 2007, 04:47:18 AM

Of course, the haulers (fuel) and Ospreys (POSpreys) couldn't have been in system for any other reasons, right?  rolleyes

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #648 on: May 20, 2007, 05:56:27 AM

There were still goons running around in haulers and ospreys as we took 9-9 away from them.

Because as we all well know, if you're not piloting a freighter, carrier, dreadnought, mothership or titan, Eve is not the game for you anymore.

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
LC
Terracotta Army

Reply #649 on: May 20, 2007, 06:12:18 AM

Of course, the haulers (fuel) and Ospreys (POSpreys) couldn't have been in system for any other reasons, right?  rolleyes

That's a valid point. I'm sure there were some there for that purpose. The wrecks I looted were filled with ore though.

I think you guys totally missed my point. A lot of goons are just dead weight.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2007, 06:18:15 AM by LC »
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #650 on: May 20, 2007, 06:27:48 AM

That's a valid point. I'm sure there were some there for that purpose. The wrecks I looted were filled with ore though.

Quite right, anyone who is ever found mining or buying and hauling minerals in so that they can build ships and modules for themselves or their alliance in time of war and so on is dead weight.

I mean, thanks to the fact that GF is famously rolling in money they surely don't need to worry about logistics or income.

Please, if you are going to troll (and your history suggests that you are.. without pause or variation), at least put some effort in.

Edit: added helpful colour-hints
« Last Edit: May 20, 2007, 10:15:41 AM by Endie »

My blog: http://endie.net

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #651 on: May 20, 2007, 09:28:59 AM

I don't think BoB has an exception to the dead weight rule. If it did they'd have 2000 dreads at the fights and not 40.
LC
Terracotta Army

Reply #652 on: May 20, 2007, 02:25:12 PM

Quite right, anyone who is ever found mining or buying and hauling minerals in so that they can build ships and modules for themselves or their alliance in time of war and so on is dead weight.

I mean, thanks to the fact that GF is famously rolling in money they surely don't need to worry about logistics or income.

Please, if you are going to troll (and your history suggests that you are.. without pause or variation), at least put some effort in.

So you think it's ok to mine while your alliance is busy fighting off the enemy in the same system? The reason you are losing is crystal clear now. I would probably be booted from my corp and killed for something like that.
Sparky
Terracotta Army

Reply #653 on: May 20, 2007, 02:28:05 PM

I feel very strongly about Goonfleet
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #654 on: May 20, 2007, 02:32:23 PM

So you think it's ok to mine while your alliance is busy fighting off the enemy in the same system? The reason you are losing is crystal clear now. I would probably be booted from my corp and killed for something like that.

Nope, that's still pretty weak (as well as factually wildly off-base).  Go on, have another shot.

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #655 on: May 20, 2007, 02:35:19 PM

Nope, that's still pretty weak (as well as factually wildly off-base).  Go on, have another shot.

No, shut the fuck up, both of you. Go make another thread if you want to do the "mai alliance roolz, ur alliance droolz" dance and stop screwing up the one that's supposed to be for War news.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #656 on: May 20, 2007, 02:56:08 PM

The Goonfleet leadership is broke and most of them are out of town at Rem's wedding, there's a lot of discussion at the moment on what to do in the long term.

Just going to quote myself, it's the leadership of goonfleet that has cash flow problems, not the members.  I personally don't think it's that big of a deal, as now we know about it we can try to help.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #657 on: May 20, 2007, 03:59:13 PM

Is there an actual warbond mechanic in the game that lets you buy debt on the market and have the interest payments automatically taken out of the debtor's accounts or is this just a typical MMO loan between a few people?
LC
Terracotta Army

Reply #658 on: May 20, 2007, 05:29:34 PM

Is there an actual warbond mechanic in the game that lets you buy debt on the market and have the interest payments automatically taken out of the debtor's accounts or is this just a typical MMO loan between a few people?

It's the typical mmo loan.
JoeTF
Terracotta Army

Reply #659 on: May 21, 2007, 06:11:39 AM

I don't think BoB has an exception to the dead weight rule. If it did they'd have 2000 dreads at the fights and not 40.

Well, people have to sleep 8 hours a day for starters:P
Thing about dead weight isn't about being at frontline 24/7, but about don't giving a shit about your alliance. If those guys were mining to found Mittani's titan found then it's to be applaused, but if that was th case, GF would have 15 titans by now:P

BoB is in a lucky situation where people playstyles coincide with alliance goals 100% - everyone there plays to pvp and that's what alliance does.
Cougar
Developers

Mythic Entertainment

Reply #660 on: May 21, 2007, 06:20:40 AM

--Dave

The cap yard was offline when we got there. Seleene assured us there was nothing in it. Personally, I'm not sure of the mechanics of the cap yard with it being offline, so I'm not sure if the fact of it being offline defacto proves that there was nothing inside, or if it is possible to load up a cap yard with components with it offline and just flip the switch prior to starting the build.

~C~
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #661 on: May 21, 2007, 06:38:14 AM

--Dave

The cap yard was offline when we got there. Seleene assured us there was nothing in it. Personally, I'm not sure of the mechanics of the cap yard with it being offline, so I'm not sure if the fact of it being offline defacto proves that there was nothing inside, or if it is possible to load up a cap yard with components with it offline and just flip the switch prior to starting the build.

Bah, so having the Eve devs in Bob isn't enough for them?  Now they have to co-opt devs from other companies?!?  Someone email Kugutsumen shocked

Twitter - Endieposts

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #662 on: May 21, 2007, 06:43:34 AM

Almost all of the war bonds have been repaid now btw - the only ones still outstanding are people who are in newbie corps (read: potentially inactive), who've been asked to post & confirm if they want the cash back.

Next drama fix: IRC (Interstellar Crossing? Something like that) apparently had three freighters ganked out from under them by BoB while fleeing...allegedly after bribing BoB with  a bunch of large towers in exchange for free passage out of Omist.

Personally, I'm somewhat skeptical - making deals for safe passage then breaking them without provocation is a quick way to make all your enemies fight to the last.

Edit : Intrepid Crossing, not Interstellar Crossing.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2007, 07:19:14 AM by Simond »

Cougar
Developers

Mythic Entertainment

Reply #663 on: May 21, 2007, 07:06:53 AM

Bah, so having the Eve devs in Bob isn't enough for them?  Now they have to co-opt devs from other companies?!?  Someone email Kugutsumen shocked

I'm in the MC, not BoB.

Shouldn't your post have been green anyways?

~C~
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #664 on: May 21, 2007, 07:12:27 AM

I'm in the MC, not BoB.

Shouldn't your post have been green anyways?

Probably it should have been, you're right.  Let me practice.

Thanks for the correction.  Because MC are completely independent from BoB.

I knew which corp you meant.

Edit: actually, do we have a colour for trolling?  Maybe i should have put that in red.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2007, 07:51:24 AM by Endie »

Twitter - Endieposts

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 233 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: War  
Jump to: