Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:26:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Vanguard is live. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vanguard is live.  (Read 130163 times)
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #315 on: April 16, 2012, 09:38:21 AM

It was pretty. It was also empty.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #316 on: April 17, 2012, 11:03:03 AM

It was more than pretty. The tile work (not graphics tiling, actual tile art) on some of the buildings, by itself, was jawdroppingly intricate. I would often just sit there thinking of the sheer effort that must have been invested in creating the world, and I was filled with a mixture of happiness and grief that the whole thing wasn't going to work.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #317 on: April 17, 2012, 04:48:34 PM

I always assumed it was the art team basically giving up on the game design and mechanics sections of the company and filling their days building stuff to keep busy. The capital city was huge, intricate and a game-play desert.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #318 on: April 17, 2012, 09:29:02 PM

The art team that worked on Vanguard was truly first rate.  The design and content...I have absolutely nothing to say.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #319 on: April 19, 2012, 09:15:48 PM

Pretty sure there is a Vangard post-mortem somewhere that talks about how long they spent in (half-) building a massive, intricate world, only to start scrambling to fill it with things that worked as launch day approached (and was delayed, then approached again, etc).

shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #320 on: April 20, 2012, 06:45:09 AM

Vanguard landscapes were excellent, but I always thought they were always too close to the real world in basic geography and flora for a fantasy setting.  One of the human starting areas looked like 1700s England. Intent or accident?  EQ cities and landscapes always had some element of fantasy to them.

I have never played WoW.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #321 on: April 20, 2012, 06:55:14 AM

EQ cities and landscapes always had some element of fantasy to them.

Yeah! Square, overly tiled, burly textures.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #322 on: April 20, 2012, 08:45:17 AM

Don't condemn the look due to technology limitations at the time.

I have never played WoW.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #323 on: April 20, 2012, 08:55:59 AM

To be honest, I think that was by design. I think they wanted a Game of Thrones level of fantasy feel, rather than an RA Salvatore/D&D level. Hence the thinly veiled cultures of Middle-Eastern, Asian and northern European origin.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
PalmTrees
Terracotta Army

Reply #324 on: July 03, 2012, 02:23:12 PM

They put up their ftp terms. http://vgplayers.station.sony.com/images/community/membershipinfo/vg_membership_page.jpg

Typically SOE. Seems similar to what they did with EQ2 iirc. Not all class/race available, 1/3 the bank size, reduced customer support, money and item limits. $15/month to get the full game. Such restrictive terms. Why do they bother? Must've worked out decently enough with EQ2 I guess.

LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #325 on: July 03, 2012, 02:57:54 PM

Amazed this game is still around.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #326 on: July 03, 2012, 06:02:08 PM

I've been writing a blog entry about Sigil Games and have been reading through old posts about Vanguard / comments made by McQuaid on FOH before Vanguard launched. Hilarious stuff in retrospect.

Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #327 on: July 03, 2012, 07:08:43 PM

I loved vanguard, it just didn't love me back. Heartbreak

To this day I still feel that Vanguard's, Bloodmage, Bard and Disciple were the most awesome class designs ever. Also their take on a cleric was pretty awesome too.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
PalmTrees
Terracotta Army

Reply #328 on: July 03, 2012, 11:14:02 PM

Well cleric and disciple are among the free, the other two are filthy whores you gotta pay for.
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #329 on: July 05, 2012, 04:10:16 PM

"Good news, everyone!"

Brad McQuaid is back!

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #330 on: July 05, 2012, 04:11:15 PM

swamp poop

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Minvaren
Terracotta Army

Reply #331 on: July 05, 2012, 04:16:17 PM

"There are many things of which a wise man might wish to remain ignorant." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #332 on: July 05, 2012, 04:49:01 PM

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Tearofsoul
Terracotta Army

Reply #333 on: July 05, 2012, 04:57:32 PM

Seriously, we need a "Welcome back! Brad!" thread! Please please  why so serious?
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #334 on: July 05, 2012, 06:00:10 PM

McQuaid in 2005 about Vanguard vs WoW:

When we're looking at revenue forecasts as well as when we're designing the game we're looking at long term customer retention with the realization that the majority of money made from MMOGs is from subscriptions not box sales. 250,000 I think is conservative... 500,000 would be just fine... both look pretty good though when doing the math and planning on players playing months and even years.

If the 'core' gamer is running out of things to do now (and I say 'core', not hard core, because I'm not just reading posts and talking to people who are part of that minority of gamers who play like madmen), then how much longer will the 'casual' gamer be entertained?

I'm not here to criticize Blizzard's plan (nor am I even privy to it), but I can say what ours is, and it's to keep the average MMOG gamer around for a long time. And we realize this likely means we won't see sales in the millions. But we took EQ 1 up to 400,000+ for three years with very few cancellations, and I know the game continued with those numbers for quite a while after I left. And that's the kind of success we're looking for again with Vanguard.

I know the counter-argument, that those players won't tolerate another EQ 1 and its advancement pace -- that MMOGs have to be designed differently now, targeting the more casual gamer and also the gamer who allegedly has less time to play than he or she did in the past, or who just won’t tolerate anything even resembling a ‘grind’.

But I don't buy it. Sure, some people are burned out. But we also hear from a LOT of old school MMOG gamers who want that longer term game again... who want a home again. And if we combine those people with even a small percentage of new MMOG gamers, who were probably exposed to persistent worlds by games like WoW, then it's simply not that crazy to assume we can get the numbers I'm talking about for Vanguard.

Only time will tell, and I know people will disagree with me. But we really need to be right -- not just for Vanguard, but for the genre in general. We can't just give up, throw our hands into the air, and say EQ 1s were a fluke and that core gamers have somehow fundamentally changed since then such that they won't or can't subscribe for years ever again. Were that true, we'd never see the virtual worlds of the scope and scale we all dream about developed. Maybe we are old school, maybe past successes were a fluke, maybe we’re dinosaurs. But I’m betting not.

Redgiant
Terracotta Army

Reply #335 on: July 05, 2012, 06:40:53 PM

"Do you have any funny stories to tell everyone about working on Vanguard?"
<generic answer #1>

"Have players ever surprised you with using a strange tactic to defeat an encounter that you created?"
<generic answer #2>

Seriously, you can't think of something for this if you actually play the game? EQ would have a list of answers from anyone who's played it much.

A FUCKING COMPANY IS AT STEAK
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #336 on: July 05, 2012, 06:55:06 PM

"Brad. It's been five years since you fled the industry. What have you been doing with yourself?"
"I did a bit of this, a bit of that. I watched some movies. Hey, you know who's a really good actor? Robert Downey, Jr. Man. That guy is, just, wow. Amazing. And what a life, you know? Rehab, prison. He's been a drug addict for basically his entire life. Did you ever see Less Than Zero? Robert Downey, Jr was in that movie. I once saw an interview where he basically said that the part of Julian was kind of like himself. I mean, he had a lot to draw on."

"So, you're a fan."
"Oh yeah. Sorry, I kind of got off on a tangent there. I do that. I sometimes lose focus. You might have noticed. What was the question, again?"

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #337 on: July 05, 2012, 07:44:50 PM

I'm guessing he wants to emulate the success parts of his hero, too?

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #338 on: July 05, 2012, 07:53:46 PM

Oh, please note. My previous post in this thread was, shall we say, pure fiction. Never happened. I made it up. For laughs.

Redgiant's post was the definitive summary of any interview you'll read from "Aradune"  why so serious?

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #339 on: July 05, 2012, 11:45:42 PM

I like how in the SOE announcement he avoids mentioning Sigil at all. "I was at SOE, then I went away for a while, now I'm back! And on this game too!"

satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #340 on: July 06, 2012, 03:00:14 AM

Well, maybe after Curt Schilling's  shenanigans Brad thinks he doesn't look so bad anymore.  why so serious?
Tearofsoul
Terracotta Army

Reply #341 on: July 06, 2012, 04:40:05 AM

Well, maybe after Curt Schilling's  shenanigans Brad thinks he doesn't look so bad anymore.  why so serious?

Believe me or not, I think he really doesn't ... lol

Curt was like:"Check this out, Mr.Brad, this is how you fail. Yours was like banana."

Since then, Brad live happily ever after...
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 04:47:49 AM by Tearofsoul »
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #342 on: July 06, 2012, 09:01:18 AM

The price of meth must have gone up.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #343 on: July 06, 2012, 11:40:10 AM

I like the part where he doesn't understand people put up with EQ's bullshit because there was only UO's bullshit as an alternative.
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #344 on: July 06, 2012, 11:54:42 AM

I'm sure the break he took allowed him to dwell on...ahh fuck it what a tool
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #345 on: July 06, 2012, 11:57:49 AM

I'm just blown away that they're having him work on the same game he already screwed up. Like the Detroit Lions bringing back Matt Millen.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #346 on: July 06, 2012, 12:16:24 PM

Surely there's no employees left from the original parking lot debacle, because he hasn't been shivved in the men's room yet.

Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #347 on: July 06, 2012, 12:43:28 PM

Surely there's no employees left from the original parking lot debacle, because he hasn't been shivved in the men's room yet.
Not a bathroom anymore, hookers and blow room
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #348 on: July 06, 2012, 08:30:46 PM

I guess schild hasn't commented because, on seeing the news, he's now running to SOE headquarters, eyes soul-dead, with the aim of crash tackling Smedley through a plate glass window while screaming, "WHAT ARE YOU DOING? WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU?".

Severian
Terracotta Army

Reply #349 on: July 06, 2012, 08:36:54 PM

"Do you have any funny stories to tell everyone about working on Vanguard?"
<generic answer #1>

Ooooh, ooooh, ooooh!
I know, I know some!

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Vanguard is live.  
Jump to: