Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 15, 2024, 11:53:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Raph is no longer taunting us (Metaplace) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 33 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Raph is no longer taunting us (Metaplace)  (Read 524231 times)
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #175 on: December 21, 2006, 08:27:00 AM

Wouldn't it be ironic if after all this time, Raph decides that he needs public forums, knows that they will be hell on wheels to moderate, and therefore offers all f13 mods the job, at salaries you can't ignore.

Rod Serling comes out from behind a pile of pizza boxes and beer cans, "The F13 staff, once gadflies of the MMO industry, now forced to moderate an unending SWG thread in the Twilight Zone."

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #176 on: December 21, 2006, 08:49:35 AM

Raph ate my baby.

UO was a great game, imo the best mmo to date. Planetside being the second, though the strangled resources it got prevented it from even really getting built up right (and caves).

SWG had a ton of potential but was just too big of a project with too many chiefs. Throw in Lucasarts and no wonder it was mishmashed beyond repair.

I await whatever Raph does next, and I wish I had the free time and lifestyle to actually enjoy it. The biggest problem with Raph's designs is that people are generally a bunch of fucking douchebags. Mmo players can't have nice things.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #177 on: December 21, 2006, 09:12:14 AM

The biggest problem with Raph's designs is that people are generally a bunch of fucking douchebags. Mmo players can't have nice things.

That's one of the things I think he actually enjoys. Part ant farm enthusiast/part Dennis the Menace.
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #178 on: December 21, 2006, 10:35:11 AM

It's true. In world-like MMOs (Read: UO), me and my friends are douchebags at the expense of others.

It works something like this:

VW MMO = Mass Douchebaggery easily obtainable through game systems
Game MMO = Mass Douchebaggery somewhat more difficultly obtained through social means and figuring out how to twist the system

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #179 on: December 21, 2006, 10:45:50 AM

Wouldn't it be ironic if after all this time, Raph decides that he needs public forums, knows that they will be hell on wheels to moderate, and therefore offers all f13 mods the job, at salaries you can't ignore.

Rod Serling comes out from behind a pile of pizza boxes and beer cans, "The F13 staff, once gadflies of the MMO industry, now forced to moderate an unending SWG thread in the Twilight Zone."

I'd do it, particularly since I could telecommute and not move back south. Also, I Heart money. ;)

Anyway, once Raph's ready to talk more about what Areae's actually doing, there will be investigative journalism. Or at least pleas for interviews.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #180 on: December 21, 2006, 10:47:45 AM

Phhht.  If it pays more than what I am doing now, sure.  Sign me up.  MMO gadfly for the win.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

The Anne Coulter of MMO punditry

Reply #181 on: December 21, 2006, 10:48:46 AM

Douchebaggery in VW can be greatly reduced by putting the carrots in different places.  There will still be those who do it for the love of the douchebaggery, but they tend to linger at lower levels from lack of grind impetus, like roleplayers.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #182 on: December 21, 2006, 11:51:16 AM

Did you just call roleplayers griefing douchebags who don't play the game?
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #183 on: December 21, 2006, 11:56:04 AM

Robot Jesus could make a perfect MMO and people here would wax poetic angst hate at it.
Sheesh.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #184 on: December 21, 2006, 11:58:58 AM

Douchebaggery in VW can be greatly reduced by putting the carrots in different places.

Are you talking about having sex in an uncomfortable place?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #185 on: December 21, 2006, 12:10:33 PM

Troll :)

No, he was just saying that some douch are not interested in carrots and some roleplayers are not interested in carrots, and therefore share in never really advancing. But that's the only real link. Forget the labels: it really is just common sense, something we all know: if you don'ts plays the games you don'ts gain the levels.
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #186 on: December 21, 2006, 12:11:07 PM

No, they exist in tandem with the Douchebaggery Corps. They are the target of douchebag-fueled activities.

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #187 on: December 21, 2006, 12:20:23 PM

Are you talking about having sex in an uncomfortable place?

You mean in the back of Raph's Volkswagen?

My blog: http://endie.net

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
Thelurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #188 on: December 21, 2006, 12:21:06 PM

What continues to taunt me is that I have yet to see an idea that Raph has talked about actually succesfully and properly implemented in a game.

Bingo. You win.

No, I dont hate Raph.

Bottom line: Show us you can walk the walk, and not just talk the talk. If it is an awesome game, I will actually buy it. So there Raph, you have a potential customer. Show me through action, because ideas and talk are both cheap. Show me it doesnt just look good on paper, but will actually work.

Show me that your fanboi petting isn't just for personal ego, but that you really do have ideas that will work in practice IN TODAYS MMO MARKET.
Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #189 on: December 21, 2006, 12:58:19 PM

"We're not talking about the business model, but again there we're also inspired by the web, web 2.0, user participation, all of that sort of thing... I think it's fair to say that we won't be following the path of the straight-up mainstream CD ROM MMOs,"

Which part of this quote didn't you understand? I doubt there will even be a box for you to buy.
Thelurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #190 on: December 21, 2006, 01:04:15 PM

Which part of this quote didn't you understand? I doubt there will even be a box for you to buy.

That has nothing to do with what I am talking about. Thanks anyway.
Hellinar
Terracotta Army

Reply #191 on: December 21, 2006, 01:15:54 PM

Show me that your fanboi petting isn't just for personal ego, but that you really do have ideas that will work in practice IN TODAYS MMO MARKET.

Isn’t the point of Areae to work in TOMORROWS MMO market? We have already been there and done that in today’s market. That’s where all the theory comes in, as a framework for trying something new. Theory is one way of connecting past learning to future action. And Raph at least has some theory beyond “Make another WoW, but with playable dragons”.

As for the SWG thing, I think the critical point has already been made by co-founder John:

SOE specifically did not want another game with the same style of gameplay as EQ, Planetside, or Sovereign. We chose a virtual world – the most successful one to date was UO and we had the team of people who worked on UO who were assigned to build the game. SOE didn’t have a virtual world, nor was it in the process of building one. It “fit” within the product strategy, even if in hindsight it may not have fit with the license. At the time, I supported this decision, and our tagline became “live in the Star Wars universe”.

In one hand they had a round peg, the Star Wars license.  In the other, a square hole, room in the product lineup for a virtual world type product. Someone at a high level decided to hammer the round peg into the square hole. Breakages ensued.

History might have been different if they had had Raph and no Star Wars license. Or the Star Wars license and no Raph. But thems the breaks. Its good to see Raph picking himself up and trying again.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #192 on: December 21, 2006, 01:24:56 PM

That has nothing to do with what I am talking about. Thanks anyway.

It has EVERYTHING to do with what EVERYONE's been talking about.

Because, if you'd been paying attention to Raph for the last several years, you'd know already - Fan and Foe alike - this isn't being made for you.  I'd guesstimate it's not being made for gamers, period. We're too niche.  Thus, my complete apathy about this argument I usually find so entertaining, I suppose.  

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
WayAbvPar

Reply #193 on: December 21, 2006, 01:40:12 PM

Actually, we know a lot about Areae. I don't want to get into it, but from Raph's book, his ramblings about social spaces, and his grassroots campaign for both employees and press - well, you can read into it.

Here's to hoping he doesn't have an official forum. Man, that would be a fucking mistake. Between his supporters and the people who will register just to talk about SW:G, whew, I wouldn't want to set foot in there. It's bad enough that every time crafting, economics, or Raph gets mentioned ANYWHERE (including here), the thread becomes Just Another SWG thread. I suppose it's unavoidable though.

See? This is why they need me as Community Manager. Or at least with the power to ban 'tards by the thousands.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #194 on: December 21, 2006, 02:37:30 PM

Good job mocking the venture capitalists, Raph, they have been getting a free lunch for way to long.

"Me am play gods"
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #195 on: December 21, 2006, 02:50:12 PM

Jesus, it wasn't that long ago.

"We're not talking about the business model, but again there we're also inspired by the web, web 2.0, user participation, all of that sort of thing... I think it's fair to say that we won't be following the path of the straight-up mainstream CD ROM MMOs,"

Bingo.

Quote from: Raph during interview
Raph: My startup is funded. It is not funded by anything in the video game industry. It will not have a subscription fee and it will not come on a CD.

Isn’t the point of Areae to work in TOMORROWS MMO market? We have already been there and done that in today’s market. That’s where all the theory comes in, as a framework for trying something new. Theory is one way of connecting past learning to future action. And Raph at least has some theory beyond “Make another WoW, but with playable dragons”.

Again, bingo.
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #196 on: December 21, 2006, 03:38:26 PM

What continues to taunt me is that I have yet to see an idea that Raph has talked about actually succesfully and properly implemented in a game.

Actually I agree here. My biggest worry is Raph tries something too new, instead of refining what he's done before. WOW refined EQ and DAOC, and now it's time for someone to refine UO and SWG.

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #197 on: December 21, 2006, 03:47:39 PM

This thread needs more SecondLife. NSFW.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #198 on: December 21, 2006, 04:42:12 PM

I've always felt that Raph's general ideas would have fit better in to a game that didn't revolve around combat. If this is heading where it apepars to be, which is a socially oriented game, then his "vision" might work.

That being said, even completely socially oriented games will still attract the types that get a kick out of making annonymous people cry. Honestly though, I still think a virtual world should be left to police itself as much as possible. That doesn't work when the systems reward those that take the easiest and most anti social routes (that was what really killed UO).

Whatever it ends up being, and whether it dominates the world or happens to blow chunks, I'm sure it will give us plenty to talk about.

Oh, and TehLurker is a douche. Be happy Geldon, nobody thinks you are the biggest douche in this thread. :)

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

The Anne Coulter of MMO punditry

Reply #199 on: December 21, 2006, 04:52:42 PM

I'll have to try harder.

hal
Terracotta Army

Damn kids, get off my lawn!

Reply #200 on: December 21, 2006, 05:06:24 PM

You are over achieving again. Still. More.

I started with nothing, and I still have most of it

I'm not a complete idiot... Some parts are still on backorder.
schild
Administrator

Reply #201 on: December 21, 2006, 05:27:14 PM

HERRO.

Point of order.

If I see the phrase "Tomorrow's MMO Market" one more time, ooooh there's no end to what I'll do. That sort of stupid shit should be illlegal.

It's up there with something not being for you! Insert Penny Arcade Comic here.
Akkori
Terracotta Army

Reply #202 on: December 21, 2006, 08:41:22 PM

A game can have fun combat and a social environment. It just needs a portal for players to access the different area's. "Sliders" meets "Ravenloft". Hell, I thought it would be cool as hell to have an Age of Empires/Civiilization kind of game married to BF2 and Eve. Okay, time for my medication...

Sadly, the anonymity granted by any online game will bring out the worst in many. Especially acne-riddled kids with an already perverted view of morality and honor (thanks mtv icons). Put peoples real faces up there and make there some kind of "real" consequences for general asshattery, and you'll see most of it go away.

I love the position : "You're not right until I can prove you wrong!"
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #203 on: December 21, 2006, 09:10:08 PM

I'm still trying to figure out where you all are getting the idea they're building a game in any way shape or form. 

Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #204 on: December 21, 2006, 09:24:28 PM

I'm still trying to figure out where you all are getting the idea they're building a game in any way shape or form. 

One prediction we can make: it will be a game.  I am putting money on some sort of browser based game or small digital download that will allow people to hop in immediately.  Of course I reserve the right to change my prediction at any point in time, even after said product ships.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #205 on: December 22, 2006, 01:28:20 AM

Ooooh, I dunno.. the second post in this thread?

Hey, I'm a game guy. And I have people who are waiting for the next Raph-worldy thing. I'm not going to ignore them.

My blog: http://endie.net

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
Nyght
Terracotta Army

Reply #206 on: December 22, 2006, 05:35:06 AM

A key question is world persistence.

As much as the above quote suggests it, I am betting no.

"Do you know who is in charge here?" -- "Yep."
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #207 on: December 22, 2006, 05:48:22 AM

Key for whom ?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #208 on: December 22, 2006, 05:51:47 AM

It wasn't a question, it was a jab.  UO and SWG were not games, they were worlds (and fairly half-baked at that). There's a vast difference between the two things.

Nyght
Terracotta Army

Reply #209 on: December 22, 2006, 05:58:50 AM

Key for whom ?

Well read one post up: "people who are waiting for the next Raph-worldy thing."

I guess that is not you huh?

"Do you know who is in charge here?" -- "Yep."
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 33 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Raph is no longer taunting us (Metaplace)  
Jump to: