Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 11:30:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Raph is no longer taunting us (Metaplace) 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 33 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Raph is no longer taunting us (Metaplace)  (Read 517053 times)
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

on: December 15, 2006, 03:51:57 PM

http://www.areae.net/
I have no idea what it is, but seems more social space than game.

Areae means “many places” in Latin. Depending on who you ask, you pronounce it “Airy-eh” or “Airy-eye” or “Area-ee”… well. It doesn’t matter. What matters is what it means: many places, many worlds.

Areae, Inc. is a company dedicated to taking the tired old virtual world and making it into something fresh and new. Something anyone can jump into. Something where anyone can find something fun to do or a game to play. Something where anyone can build their own place on the virtual frontier.

Feel free to wander around the site and learn about us. We’re hiring!
« Last Edit: October 12, 2007, 05:44:45 AM by Trippy »

"Me am play gods"
Raph
Developers

Title delayed while we "find the fun."

Reply #1 on: December 15, 2006, 03:55:53 PM

Hey, I'm a game guy. And I have people who are waiting for the next Raph-worldy thing. I'm not going to ignore them.
Raph
Developers

Reply #2 on: December 15, 2006, 04:07:51 PM

BTW, Gamasutra and GameDaily BIZ both have interviews and coverage.
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #3 on: December 15, 2006, 04:16:19 PM

I'm going to pronounce it arry-eh, if and when I choose to say it.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #4 on: December 15, 2006, 04:18:23 PM

I'm going with Air-ee-oh-la.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Raph
Developers

Reply #5 on: December 15, 2006, 04:18:44 PM

Up to you, Righ, we're all about the users. ;)
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #6 on: December 15, 2006, 04:26:23 PM

I really thought you were going to give all this up.  I pictured you grabbing the family, a guitar, buying a van and hitting all the old folk singing hotspots from the olden days.  Maybe channeling Jerry Garcia.   

Good luck with all this gamey stuff.  You might as well take advantage of this silly internet fad.  I'm sure it'll pass soon enough.

(If you are able to make a game where my hair looks as great as it did in SWG, I'll buy it!)

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #7 on: December 15, 2006, 04:55:52 PM

Blah. What a day for my F13 email to go bust. Hey Raph, can you add my f13 email address to the mailing list? I love the smell of press releases in the morning.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #8 on: December 15, 2006, 05:16:18 PM

Areae, Inc. is a company dedicated to taking the tired old virtual world and making it into something fresh and new. Something anyone can jump into. Something where anyone can find something fun to do or a game to play. Something where anyone can build their own place on the virtual frontier.

Third Life.
Raph
Developers

Reply #9 on: December 15, 2006, 05:26:46 PM

Third Life.

As I said to Gamasutra or GameDaily, we have as many differences from SL as we do from EQ, honestly. :)
Raph
Developers

Reply #10 on: December 15, 2006, 05:29:54 PM

Blah. What a day for my F13 email to go bust. Hey Raph, can you add my f13 email address to the mailing list? I love the smell of press releases in the morning.

Go read the press releases page. :) No mailing list yet.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #11 on: December 15, 2006, 05:30:35 PM

As I said to Gamasutra or GameDaily, we have as many differences from SL as we do from EQ, honestly. :)

To me, that also describes SWG. OK, Second Life: Galaxies ;)
Nyght
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: December 15, 2006, 05:31:30 PM

I don't see any openings for 'Crotchety Old Fart' in the job listings... so I guess I am out of luck again.

"Do you know who is in charge here?" -- "Yep."
El Gallo
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: December 15, 2006, 05:35:44 PM

Let me know if an "evil management lawyer" spot opens up.  I've been working for the good guys all my career, but could be tempted to abandon my leftist principles and switch to anti-employee law for the chance to have live throwdowns over lunch (and enough $$, of course)  evil
« Last Edit: December 15, 2006, 05:40:36 PM by El Gallo »

This post makes me want to squeeze into my badass red jeans.
Raph
Developers

Reply #14 on: December 15, 2006, 05:40:15 PM

What with lawyers talking about applying? that's two in the space of an hour! ;)

We have external counsel right now... I am guessing we're a while from needing internal counsel. Next year sometime.
Woody
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: December 15, 2006, 05:56:25 PM

Is this the crucify Raph or praise Raph thread?  I get so confused..........
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #16 on: December 15, 2006, 06:01:11 PM

We'll crucify him with our love.

BTW, Gamasutra and GameDaily BIZ both have interviews and coverage.
I am sticking with the title.

"Me am play gods"
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #17 on: December 15, 2006, 06:18:05 PM

I don't see any openings for 'Crotchety Old Fart' in the job listings... so I guess I am out of luck again.

Sci-fi War Poet is also missing. Here is my application!

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #18 on: December 15, 2006, 06:28:49 PM

I don't know why but I'm all excited!

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #19 on: December 15, 2006, 06:31:14 PM

Nine sleeps till Christmas. BTW your avatar makes me think of The White Stripes instead of Santa's sexier elves.
Akkori
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: December 15, 2006, 06:40:15 PM

Though that leaves just as many questions as there are answers, he concludes, "We're going to run quiet for a little while and finish building out the platform so we can actually start talking about what it is that we're going to put out there. I would guess that you'll be hearing from us again in three months or so."

SOE has apparently learned at the feet of the master. THey still like to throw out empty words and teasing, and then ignore you for a few month. DOn't get me wrong, if it's something Raph is in favor of, I will probably like it, but I hate to have smoke blown in my general direction. It's a mistake, IMHO, to talk about something you have no intention (or ability) to expound on. DOnt say *anything* until you can post screenshots, show skill-tree's (is applicable), distribute a theme song, demo vdeo... etc.

The worldy part of SWG was what attracted me at launch, and kept me in game for 2 years. It was the empty promises, over-stated goals, and general hot air that drove me away.... oh, and the fact they did as much to destroy the worldy/economic/crafting game as they could without actually removing the professions.

I'm going to pretend I never heard of this until I se something substantive. But my fingers will be crossed!

*edit*
Oh yeah, if you wanna hire me, I would be an excellent Designer, storyline architect, and Events coordinator. I'll work cheap too.

I love the position : "You're not right until I can prove you wrong!"
Raph
Developers

Reply #21 on: December 15, 2006, 06:49:43 PM

Though that leaves just as many questions as there are answers, he concludes, "We're going to run quiet for a little while and finish building out the platform so we can actually start talking about what it is that we're going to put out there. I would guess that you'll be hearing from us again in three months or so."

SOE has apparently learned at the feet of the master. THey still like to throw out empty words and teasing, and then ignore you for a few month. DOn't get me wrong, if it's something Raph is in favor of, I will probably like it, but I hate to have smoke blown in my general direction. It's a mistake, IMHO, to talk about something you have no intention (or ability) to expound on. DOnt say *anything* until you can post screenshots, show skill-tree's (is applicable), distribute a theme song, demo vdeo... etc.

The worldy part of SWG was what attracted me at launch, and kept me in game for 2 years. It was the empty promises, over-stated goals, and general hot air that drove me away.... oh, and the fact they did as much to destroy the worldy/economic/crafting game as they could without actually removing the professions.

I'm going to pretend I never heard of this until I se something substantive. But my fingers will be crossed!

*edit*
Oh yeah, if you wanna hire me, I would be an excellent Designer, storyline architect, and Events coordinator. I'll work cheap too.

Heh, see? The site isn't FOR a product. it's for the COMPANY. We didn't say anything about the product, we said things about the company. And the reason was to get people like to you say "maybe I'd like to work there." The whole reason why we had to launch something was for recruitment purposes. :)
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #22 on: December 15, 2006, 06:53:13 PM

Is this the crucify Raph or praise Raph thread?  I get so confused..........

I'd go with crucify.

"We've got a company, and all these BIG ideas. We're going to be HUGE! Come work for us!"

Young, hungry, idea-filled people with no experience this will attract.  That should be fun.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
schild
Administrator

Reply #23 on: December 15, 2006, 06:58:30 PM

Raph, I say this in the kindest way humanly possible.

What does Bartle have to offer what your company would probably have to describe as 'evolution.'
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #24 on: December 15, 2006, 06:59:51 PM

Oooooh, shiny.  Even though I swore I would never work in the MMO industry, I would make an exception to work with Raph.  I am sure many feel that way.

Too bad its on the other side of the country. :)

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: December 15, 2006, 07:02:11 PM

I don't see Product Manager/Business Analyst on the list of job openings either .. but then, I don't know how those titles get translated into Hollywood/Game titles. Le sigh.

- Viin
sinij
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: December 15, 2006, 07:09:41 PM

Fast Forward 3 years and 4.8 mils - crafting is even better than SWG but game is barren otherwise, release is a disaster and no PvP or non-crafting end game to speak of. Title gets sold via studio acquisition to EA before release and in-game adds for penis enlargement (and crafting) are about only innovative thing about the title. Raph releases another insightful book on game design leaving everyone wondering WTF he doesn't practice what he preaches.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2006, 07:14:02 PM by sinij »

Eternity is a very long time, especially towards the end.
Xilren's Twin

Reply #27 on: December 15, 2006, 07:20:15 PM

I'm going with Air-ee-oh-la.

Im going with Areola directly....

b/c we know thats the image they're trying to subconciously implant in gamers minds... boobies!

"..but I'm by no means normal." - Schild
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #28 on: December 15, 2006, 07:23:21 PM

I have no qualifications to work in the game industry, Raph....But I can make funny noises. Maybe that counts for something.

I also live near you. I think. Maybe I'll apply.

/zoidberg

And get summarily rejected. Awww....

[EDIT] San Diego? Shit. Thought you were in Austin.
geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

The Anne Coulter of MMO punditry

Reply #29 on: December 15, 2006, 08:48:04 PM

Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: December 15, 2006, 09:06:29 PM

Hire the Dwarf Fortress guy.
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: December 15, 2006, 09:16:42 PM

And the reason was to get people like to you say "maybe I'd like to work there."

...mission accomplished.  Please to be lowering the standards so I can have a shot, huh?  Three years of experience is a lot for an artist; are you sure you didn't mean six months?
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #32 on: December 15, 2006, 09:31:36 PM

I would like to point out that they are actively accepting resumes.  For those of you who live near there or are willing to relocate how could it hurt to apply?

edit.  I would like to point out that this is an awesome opportunity.  How often do people get a shot at working with some of the forerunner of graphical MMO's?  Shit, wish I was not willing to relocate.  I would give it a shot otherwise!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2006, 09:33:48 PM by Cheddar »

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: December 15, 2006, 10:49:19 PM

Is it true that it'll be harder to make your mangina wood elf's boobies big if a lot of other mangina wood elf's have already mastered the big boobies skill?
Jayce
Terracotta Army

Diluted Fool

Reply #34 on: December 15, 2006, 11:27:39 PM

When did this turn into a "beg and carp for a job" thread?

Witty banter not included.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 33 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Raph is no longer taunting us (Metaplace)  
Jump to: