Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:53:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Raph is no longer taunting us (Metaplace) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 33 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Raph is no longer taunting us (Metaplace)  (Read 515295 times)
Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #455 on: September 18, 2007, 01:41:35 PM

Papervision3d is limited, doesn't use 3d hardware (CPU bound), and is a bitch to use... However, it has potential.

I have also never seen it used with any dynamic data, if you have a link to one, id like to see it.

Not using hardware is one of the features. Not being able to use hardware is one of the draw backs.

Here's one. It's in Russian. You have to select a year more than 18 years ago, choose the red 'sticker' in the center after that loads, and then choose the paint bucket.

Flash w/ Papervision:
http://www.improvise.ru/video/enter.aspx?return=/bus/draw.aspx

Shockwave+Plugin:
http://v3d.pagesjaunes.fr/paris/
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #456 on: September 18, 2007, 01:51:54 PM

Papervision3d is limited, doesn't use 3d hardware (CPU bound), and is a bitch to use... However, it has potential.

I have also never seen it used with any dynamic data, if you have a link to one, id like to see it.

Not using hardware is one of the features. Not being able to use hardware is one of the draw backs.

Here's one. It's in Russian. You have to select a year more than 18 years ago, choose the red 'sticker' in the center after that loads, and then choose the paint bucket.

Flash w/ Papervision:

Shockwave+Plugin:

Very cool. But still, not a "Game world"... Eh, ill be watching it, it does have potential, and im sue one day we will see flash as a full 3d client/viewer..or something elese will come along =)

Again, very cool.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 01:53:57 PM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Stephen Zepp
Developers

InstantAction

Reply #457 on: September 18, 2007, 02:02:21 PM

Flash w/ Papervision:

Shockwave+Plugin:

Very cool. But still, not a "Game world"... Eh, ill be watching it, it does have potential, and im sue one day we will see flash as a full 3d client/viewer..or something elese will come along =)

Again, very cool.

must...
not...
compete...
with...
Raph's...
thread.............

Heheheh sorry.

Rumors of War
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #458 on: September 18, 2007, 02:31:44 PM

Put me down with the other old men in the "Not for me" category.

If I wanted to create crap and toss it out there I'd have started 10 years ago.  I didn't, so I won't.   I'm a consumer of this stuff, not a creator as I expell all my creative juice at the job that gives me a real paycheck.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Nyght
Terracotta Army

Reply #459 on: September 18, 2007, 02:35:03 PM

Surprise level = 0 (this is what I expected)

Disappointment level = 0 (see above)

Interest Level = 0 (see Merusk's post above)

"Do you know who is in charge here?" -- "Yep."
Raph
Developers

Title delayed while we "find the fun."

Reply #460 on: September 18, 2007, 02:38:10 PM

You do not yet have the whole picture. :) I can't talk more about it yet, but I will be able to after the demo. And I will spend time here before bed tonight answering questions and getting flamed. ;)
schild
Administrator

Reply #461 on: September 18, 2007, 02:40:24 PM

Use raptor jesus in all of your examples.
Gutboy Barrelhouse
Terracotta Army

Reply #462 on: September 18, 2007, 03:43:14 PM

If you have something that a mid 40's guy would like in there Raph I am all ears, and it does not have to be a balanced sandbox space type game to get me interested. But my interest level with interacting with teens and below is never going to be there.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #463 on: September 18, 2007, 03:54:52 PM

If you have something that a mid 40's guy would like in there Raph I am all ears, and it does not have to be a balanced sandbox space type game to get me interested. But my interest level with interacting with teens and below is never going to be there.

I'm guessing that the target demographic for most new ideas is in the 18-26 range.  That leaves gamers like you and I left to focus on the niche market... which isn't necessarily a bad thing.  I've given up hope that any of the large money projects I see on the horizon will hold my attention at all. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Mr. Right
Terracotta Army

Reply #464 on: September 18, 2007, 04:28:57 PM

first :

I'm still listening to the raptor Jesus soundtrack - Our God is indeed an awesome GOD.

second :

It's easy to see how they'll make their money : interest on the huge risk capital money hat they will wear while their small team is programing an interface with no content...  With that press release, they will throw money at them.

Etro
Terracotta Army

Reply #465 on: September 18, 2007, 04:31:21 PM

I see the meatplace website got some content added to it, interesting:

This isn't all hypothetical, either. We fully intend to be customers of our own product. We've already started work on our first big game - a "worldy MMORPG" with what we hope will be a ton of fun game play. What's more, we figure that some of you who have been looking for a game like that might want to help us build it.
Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #466 on: September 18, 2007, 04:33:27 PM

TechCrunch's RSS feed linked to Areae.com. I bet you'll get that a lot.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #467 on: September 18, 2007, 04:35:38 PM

I remember when Neverwinter Nights came out and destroyed the MMO industry as we knew it.  Who knew that everyone in the world wanted to take the time to make content?  And that everything they made would be things other people wanted to see?  Yep, user-created content sure is the future.

And all those illiterate horny teenagers who can barely handle getting some shitty rap song to play on their MySpace page?  They'll take to the design and creation of virtual worlds like fish to water, I tell you.

This post is so green it turned white again.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #468 on: September 18, 2007, 06:06:43 PM

I'm guessing that the target demographic for most new ideas is in the 18-26 range.  That leaves gamers like you and I left to focus on the niche market... which isn't necessarily a bad thing.  I've given up hope that any of the large money projects I see on the horizon will hold my attention at all. 
Fuckit. I'm old now. Goddammit.

On the other hand, when I was 22 I never qualified for ANY of the positions I wanted. Now, I amuse myself by browsing job boards and realizing I qualify for jobs at three times my salary and with better benefits to boot. My boss should be thankful I love working where I work. Also, that in my head I still feel like I'm 23 and just starting out -- instead of 31 and able to do heavy design work and manage a large team. (Thankfully, I don't have to. Don't really like it).
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #469 on: September 18, 2007, 06:22:47 PM

I remember when Neverwinter Nights came out and destroyed the MMO industry as we knew it.  Who knew that everyone in the world wanted to take the time to make content?  And that everything they made would be things other people wanted to see?  Yep, user-created content sure is the future.

And all those illiterate horny teenagers who can barely handle getting some shitty rap song to play on their MySpace page?  They'll take to the design and creation of virtual worlds like fish to water, I tell you.

This post is so green it turned white again.

well 1st off, your post actually managed to elicit a response and inspire me to register after 6+ months of reading, I suppose you now owe an apology to all other f13 forum readers for that.

2nd - wtf, NVW?  what pipe are you smoking.  I actually bought that shit with the intent of creating content, I naturally gave up after playing the game...  If that was the best IN HOUSE developers could come up with on that platform then anything I or anyone else might envision was doomed before it was a glimmer in anyone's eye.

3rd - NVW Destroyed the MMO industry?  See above wouldn't it have to actually have to have an impact on more than a handful of players in order to do that?  I suppose if NVW came out prior to man getting kicked out of the Garden of Eden and Adam had thought it sucked it would have "destroyed" the MMO industry but there are a few more people on the planet now and your average "Adam" didn't even bother to buy the game.

4th - Okay all the above aside you win with the myspace crack, because of that you are a god but due to previous drivel spilt you just aren't my god...
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #470 on: September 18, 2007, 06:25:19 PM

Sarcasm is lost on some people.

PS welcome to hell newb poster

I used to write for extinct gaming sites
details available here (unused blog about page)
Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #471 on: September 18, 2007, 06:32:04 PM

Metaplace will support everything from 2d overhead grids through first-person 3d. However, right now we only have clients that do 2d of various sorts, including grid view, 2d isometric, 2.5d heightfields, and so on. We expect to keep working on the 3d client support.

So basically they have Cyworld level functionality at the moment.
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #472 on: September 18, 2007, 06:32:37 PM

Sarcasm is lost on some people.

PS welcome to hell newb poster

um where i come from we call those people stupid people.

oh yea and P.S. - thanks for the warning but with 89 posts to your cred and 6 months of watching on mine pardon me if I think that maybe I quite possibly was already privy to your shared wisdom before you even bothered to reply...
Cuppycake
Developers

Areae, Inc.

Reply #473 on: September 18, 2007, 06:38:15 PM

More information for the gamer types:

http://www.cuppycake.org/?p=251

Community Manager
Metaplace
www.metaplace.com
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #474 on: September 18, 2007, 06:41:40 PM

Well, okay, I'm interested.  Whether I remain interested hinges on whether this turns out to be apple pie or shit sandwich once you get down into particulars like stability, content creation, bandwidth requirements, price, and the power of the client.  I've got a web server at my disposal to tinker on, so if you're willing to stick me on the testing list, I'm willing to test.

Yeah, Neverwinter Nights, but I was a sysop in the BBS days, and one thing I miss about those days that was never properly ported to the blog/forum system was the direct connection the users had via chat rooms and online games that existed solely on your BBS.  Sure, other BBSes might be running Tradewars or LORD, but the ones running on your BBS was an extention of its community, a microcosm of gaming for the users of that site.  Internet gaming with the whole world has really destroyed a lot of the intimacy that existed in gaming then, and if Raph's new toy can bring that back by letting a website host a smaller online game for its users, that's something I'd actually be excited about.  Subject, of course, to the apple pie vs. shit sandwich mentioned above.
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #475 on: September 18, 2007, 06:43:57 PM

I pray that some Indy team comes around in the near future with a super secret title they have been producing for a couple years. I hope its niche and they make a ton of cash on a nice sized subscription base. It will be our game for the players that want something deep and customizable yet accessable enough to group with anyone and based on some model other than diku but still fun and you can kill stuff if you want to, just not for advancement.

Complete quests and kill adventure targets to acquire points to spend on Equipment to boost your character that chooses from the same skill tree as everyone else.Equipment would also have its own skill tree system, you could specialize in plate or kit out your character to have say leather at the joints for easy movement or say plate in just the right areas that are high risk during combat. Sure there will be specializations and hybrid players, but shoot guys thats the fun part. Imagine if you could ask for specific builds so that groups could flow the way you want them too.

Imagine a combat system where there is no hit points? Wow what a concept. How bout collision detection for internal organs. If you don't defend against an attack you run the risk of serious injury and incapacitation. AI that will attempt to wound you to capture you. Sell you back to your faction for Points. The key to this would be that you would have to have massive content to choose from that is clearly advertising the difficulty level so parties could get to gather to play at specific levels of risk. If you wanted a murderous 30 minute Romp you could go help rescue someones daughter from a small band of goblins or crap or what ever setting. If you wanted to be challenged you could chat up some peeps to undertake the rescue of your god from other gods.

You would only want to differentiate the rewards from minor to difficult quests and other tasks very midly so that the casuals dont feel to far behind and the elitists get a chance to be better. Just not enough to cause strife.

Don't even ask me how to balance a class tree so that each choice is meaningfull. I haven't even begun to understand my desires there.

Yes hopefully we will get a small Indy team to bring such a game to me.....oh i mean all of us.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #476 on: September 18, 2007, 06:48:28 PM

oh yea and P.S. - thanks for the warning but with 89 posts to your cred and 6 months of watching on mine pardon me if I think that maybe I quite possibly was already privy to your shared wisdom before you even bothered to reply...

Wow, a whole 6months? I joined this site when it opened and have lurked here since then, and if you were privy to the sarcasm then wtf were you thinking posting what you did?

I was infinitely less brutal than 90% of the posters here, so if you continue posting, remember who warned you first.

More information for the gamer types:

http://www.cuppycake.org/?p=251

And of course, the part you’re all waiting for. We’re making Raph’s new worldy MMO in our platform.

This is what most of the people here want to hear, so detailsplskthnx.

WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #477 on: September 18, 2007, 06:52:54 PM

Newbfight!

And Salamok, you're a fucking idiot.

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #478 on: September 18, 2007, 06:56:46 PM

Christ, anyone who's bragging about six months of lurking or having joined at launch doesn't quite get how old this place really is (in terms of the people) :)

But it is more fun than waiting for Raph to come back.

And thanks cuppycake :)
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #479 on: September 18, 2007, 06:57:19 PM

This sounds a lot like the bastard child of Second Life and Massive with some usability thrown in.  Count me interested.  

I've been kinda wanting to try making one of these web MMO things for a while now, but the barrier to entry of getting hosting, writing/finding an engine, et cetera, has put me off.  Now it sounds like Raph wants to give those things to me for a nominal or possibly nonexistent cost?  I'll bite.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Abelian75
Terracotta Army

Reply #480 on: September 18, 2007, 07:01:03 PM

I pray that some Indy team comes around in the near future with [the holodeck].

Imagine [the holodeck].

Sounds reasonable.  I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Jamiko
Terracotta Army

Reply #481 on: September 18, 2007, 07:03:22 PM

From their FAQ: "Metaplace will support everything from 2d overhead grids through first-person 3d. However, right now we only have clients that do 2d of various sorts, including grid view, 2d isometric, 2.5d heightfields, and so on. We expect to keep working on the 3d client support."

How far away is the 3d client?
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #482 on: September 18, 2007, 07:05:32 PM

How bout collision detection for internal organs.

I LOL'd.

taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #483 on: September 18, 2007, 07:07:42 PM

Christ, anyone who's bragging about six months of lurking or having joined at launch doesn't quite get how old this place really is (in terms of the people) :)

I AM one of those people Darniaq, and I was at h20 at the beginning too, and P2P and SND.. The only one I joined not in it's infancy was LtM, and I'm quite sure I was on several game forums before that too. Lurking here for the years I have and only having 90 some posts is me refraining from saying the obvious (but in this case I felt it was justified).

But it is more fun than waiting for Raph to come back.

Well, I suppose this is true also, and I sure hope Raph returns soon. I have an early day tomorrow, and want to go to bed not thinking what I currently am about Raph's new shiny.

And thanks cuppycake :)

I will second that. Thanks for providing us with more bait and making the sharks circle faster.  cheesy :-D

Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #484 on: September 18, 2007, 07:08:41 PM

How bout collision detection for internal organs.

I LOL'd.

Is it wrong for a gamer to dream?

I would say in the next ten years we will have hardware capable of handling such things for real time meaningfull combat systems. I hope at least. Suffering through this period of time during MMO evolution should pay off someday.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 07:11:23 PM by Pennilenko »

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #485 on: September 18, 2007, 07:16:17 PM

I think he realized that, he was flaming the other dude. I vaguely recognize your nick from the SND days myself.

There's still nowhere near sufficient information to make any kind of educated judgment on metaspace. If Areola provides a bunch of moderately full featured example design frameworks, tons of documentation for an online runbook in some format like a wiki, and a massive amount of art assets for fledgling designers to toy with, we could see some pretty neat little experiments being born. If not, well, not.

Nyght
Terracotta Army

Reply #486 on: September 18, 2007, 07:37:50 PM

Alrighty, first serious question.

Raph, please explain how light clients can approach the kind of performance we have come to expect in modern MMOs. Or if the clients aren't all going to be light, how is distribution, patching, etc.  handled.

Edited for tired...

"Do you know who is in charge here?" -- "Yep."
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #487 on: September 18, 2007, 08:13:57 PM

Tao is olderschool than I am.. he's just quiet.  Old man.

I've still got this in "not interested."  Yay, a sea of crappy half-baked, half-finished content that I can peruse praying for something that's decent but doesn't get abandoned in 3-6 months when the "oh crap, this really takes effort" or "fuckers, I can't deal with all these assholes" or "wtf, I'm paying to make someone else money" effects kick-in.  It's genius and will make them tons of money, but those fools who make the popular mods/ worlds/ whatever are lining someone else's pockets with their sweat.  lawlz.

Still, a decent first-step towards the open source MMO stuff I've been expecting to see. MMO as MUD I'd wade through crap to find a gem- and did in the 90's.  Paying for it? Not so much.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Stephen Zepp
Developers

InstantAction

Reply #488 on: September 18, 2007, 08:32:14 PM

I think people are looking at this from the wrong perspective (and I have absolutely no insider information, just chatting)--are you "looking forward" to a park? Are you "interested" in a playground?

Sure, games can be made from this, and probably will--Raph's site says they will in fact do so. But why does every single thing that gets made in the software industry have to be something everyone thinks is simply amazing?

Stuff like this is fleshing out the internet space from a bunch if animated gifs and text based forums to the next generation of interactive participation. I don't like the way a lot of my neighbors keep their yard, or the decisions they make painting their house--but I still love my neighborhood and enjoy walking around it.

Rumors of War
Raph
Developers

Title delayed while we "find the fun."

Reply #489 on: September 18, 2007, 08:46:51 PM

So, because I think it is important, I am going to be evil and actually quote the stuff that Cuppy linked. We wrote it for folks like you, after all, and it answers some of your questions so far:

Hey guys!

Now that the cat is out of the bag and our Metaplace website has gone up to the public – I wanted to come here and address you all specifically. I know there is going to be some confusion about what we’re making and I hope to answer any questions that you guys have about Metaplace.

First of all, Metaplace is a platform that allows you to build any sort of world or game that you wish. Our tools will enable users of all skill levels to create games that can be played anywhere on the web that reads our open client standard – which includes cell phones, blogs, Facebook widgets, Myspace, etc. We host the servers for you and provide forums so you can interact with your players. You can start your own game from scratch, or you can import a stylesheet (shooter, RPG) to give yourself a base to work off of. It’s all pretty simple – even *I* have made something — and I don’t know anything about programming!

Secondly, Metaplace.com itself will be a virtual worlds portal that allows you to discover and play new games and worlds. Rate your favorite games, earn badges, connect with other gamers and hop from one world to another with ease. We expect all sorts of unique games and worlds – everything from your standard RPGs, to Tetris clones, to Amazon bookstores, and university lecture halls.

I’m sure you all are wondering – “Why should gamers care? What is cool about Metaplace for us?”

Well, we’re making this platform in an effort to improve the pool of repetitive MMO mediocrity that is out there right now. We know that MMO gamers as a whole aren’t really ‘feeling’ the current choices of games that they have. There is a lot of subscribing and unsubscribing and resubscribing. We are out to change all that, and this is the way to do it. Far better tools, faster development time, lower budgets, and openness to new talent. There really isn’t a limitation to what people can make with Metaplace – and there are a lot of creative people out there with limited access to expensive tools and large teams. We’re simplifying things so that even you can make something totally awesome, even without programming skills.

Where have all the modders gone? That’s right, there aren’t any left! Now is your chance to let your brilliant game design ideas flow and come to life in your own world. Everything is open and extendable in whatever direction you want to take it – and we can’t wait to see what direction that is!

You have to admit it; the whole concept of ‘play anywhere’ is pretty neat. How often have you wanted to play a game with your friends, only to find out that their video card can’t support the game? Have you ever been trapped in an airport for longer than expected with just your cell phone or an ancient laptop? We plan to show you just how good a game can look in a browser, and just how much fun it can be to play. Imagine people playing YOUR RPG on their cell phone, or in their Facebook, or in the sidebar of a gaming blog. That is accessibility, and we’re out to show you just how awesome it can be.

And of course, the part you’re all waiting for. We’re making Raph’s new worldy MMO in our platform. Yes, we’re spending all of our time talking about the tech right now and how open ended it all is. But we are gamers too, and a good part of why we’re doing this is to make the cool games that we want to make. We’re still in the early stages on that, but you can expect to hear more about this game in the next few months.

Feel free to ask any sort of questions you may have, and I’ll answer them for you! I look forward to seeing what sort of awesome games you guys make!

OK, now I will try to answer some questions from the thread... in another post. :)
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 33 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Raph is no longer taunting us (Metaplace)  
Jump to: