Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:39:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Raph is no longer taunting us (Metaplace) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 33 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Raph is no longer taunting us (Metaplace)  (Read 515330 times)
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #350 on: January 03, 2007, 10:31:23 AM

Jeez guys, can't we get back to Raph bashing already?

I don't know, there's something perversely funny about a thread ostensibly about Raph's new VW turning into a discussion of hardcore WoW PVP/Raid UIs.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #351 on: January 03, 2007, 11:01:29 AM

If I met Raph on a street corner, I would poke him with my pointy finger and say, "Hey."

And then who would be taunting who? 

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #352 on: January 03, 2007, 11:03:15 AM

Jeez guys, can't we get back to Raph bashing already?

I don't know, there's something perversely funny about a thread ostensibly about Raph's new VW turning into a discussion of hardcore WoW PVP/Raid UIs.

But they're so fun! They have a UI mod that adds a Neverwinter Nights-style circular click context menu. So for those of you who have been holding out on WoW because it's not enough like Neverwinter Nights, now's your chance! (all three of you)

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #353 on: January 03, 2007, 12:45:50 PM

Um.

Your wee gauntlet glows blue.

Oh, that thing. Bah. I'm no longer impressed as much. But I'll still try this to see if it gives me a timing advantage. It certainly beats spamming the TAB key, particularly once that shammy has their 57 totems out (I so long for a mod that would ignore those as valid targets... I prefer just AOEing those things)
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

Reply #354 on: January 03, 2007, 01:19:26 PM

Um.

Oh, that thing. Bah. I'm no longer impressed as much. But I'll still try this to see if it gives me a timing advantage. It certainly beats spamming the TAB key, particularly once that shammy has their 57 totems out (I so long for a mod that would ignore those as valid targets... I prefer just AOEing those things)

Totems are immune to AoEs.

I CALL SHENANIGANS.

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #355 on: January 03, 2007, 01:36:25 PM

Um.

I CALL SHENANIGANS.
They weren't always. I fondly remember AoEing totems in PvP, just to piss off the Hordies. Of course, back then, Viper sting didn't have a 15s cooldown and I also amused myself by nailing every clothie in sight with it.

Now days I'm forced to auto-shot each and every bloody totem. I sincerly wish that, given both sides are going to be "balanced" in TBC with shammies and pallys galore -- that some class gets a totem-destroying AoE. GIve it to Paladins and some sort of mass-blessing or aura dispell to Shammans and their cycle of hate will be complete.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #356 on: January 03, 2007, 01:46:07 PM

I just wish name plates would grey out or something when they're out of spell range or something.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #357 on: January 03, 2007, 01:59:06 PM

I just wish name plates would grey out or something when they're out of spell range or something.
You know, it's the little stuff in games that really matters. Stuff players actually probably don't even think about if you do it, but bitch endlessly about if you don't.

One pet peeve of mine? Buffs in WoW were level-specific. I always kept the highest "level" of a given buff on my hotbar, and habitually gave drive-by buffs to people as I ran around. Unless, of course, they were too low level for that buff. The game didn't automatically cast a lower version of that same buff for you (there were mods that did it, but I didn't bother).  I think they finally changed that, but it's little annoyances that add up.

Blizzard cleaned up a bunch of those little annoyances when they made WoW -- I suspect that future iterations of MMORPG better damn well keep them cleaned up, if they want to keep customers.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #358 on: January 03, 2007, 02:17:50 PM

I CALL SHENANIGANS.
Well crap. That sure explains my recent sessions. I took about a year off from PvP, and honestly haven't really seen that many Shamans in my battlegroup (10) of late. Mostly Hunters and Warlocks :P

So thanks for letting me know. No more thinking I'll just Arc Explode those totems then.

As an aside, I've found the only way I really can take down a Shaman is if I can sucker punch them with a crit'ing stunning flaming thing before they get their totems out :) Or maybe I just suck. Not sure yet. Only been really PvPing since 2.0.
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

Reply #359 on: January 03, 2007, 03:17:41 PM

I CALL SHENANIGANS.
Well crap. That sure explains my recent sessions. I took about a year off from PvP, and honestly haven't really seen that many Shamans in my battlegroup (10) of late. Mostly Hunters and Warlocks :P

So thanks for letting me know. No more thinking I'll just Arc Explode those totems then.

As an aside, I've found the only way I really can take down a Shaman is if I can sucker punch them with a crit'ing stunning flaming thing before they get their totems out :) Or maybe I just suck. Not sure yet. Only been really PvPing since 2.0.

Shamans are just as good, and I mean exactly just as good, while the other classes have slowly been creeping up in power (read: hunters, warlocks). It serves to mention you see far less 'Nerf Shaman!' posts around.

But this isn't a Warcraft thread, this is a thread about UI design (mostly bad)! (Because the nipple discussion stopped)

I want to talk about Shadowbane's UI. Yes, innately, it was a mouse-driven UI, so the need for lots of floating buttons was necessary. However, I mainly arranged my buttons into bars, and hotkeyed them to buttons. The problem about everything being movable in that UI is that I can be very anal when it comes to my UI, and when everything can be individually slid around and every button and UI element has a transparency slider, I pull my hair out.

I once had an 8 hour session in WoW just installing and tweaking UI mods, ripping old ones, and so forth. But it was FUN.

Shadowbane allowed custom UIs, but nobody ever made any (I seem to remember loading the Shadowbane Beta UI mod, because it was blocky and ugly and awesome). It could do everything on its own.

In Warcraft, They restricted the base UI on purpose, so those that wanted the extra functionality had to download UI mods. Sure, they're adding that back in with the built-in raid frames, scrolling text, and so forth, but the fun is there.

I'm also the guy that downloaded a custom weapon model for every weapon, player, skin, muzzle flash, and got custom sounds and crosshairs. But I didn't download a 'gun pack', I just found every single one and spent hours tweaking the sounds and models to the exact ones I wanted.

What is the point to this discussion? I don't know, but if you make every UI element movable with transparency sliders, AND have a healthy UI modding community, I'll hate you and love you at the same time.

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #360 on: January 03, 2007, 03:33:58 PM

I did like the UI customization of SB. Lots of tear-off goodness. My own looked like this. Can't remember if that was towards the peak of my play or the end.

I like the trend of extensible/moddable UI, but I don't like that all of that happens outside the core game. It allows devs to excuse hastily-considered UI choices because they know the players will fix whatever needs fixing anyway. I prefer ingame customization.

Though SB was confusing for the uninitiated, as was UO and as is EQ2.

Edit: Fixed wierd link. Not sure how that happened.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2007, 06:20:07 AM by Darniaq »
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #361 on: January 03, 2007, 03:45:34 PM

How bizarre.  Your link keeps sending me to a very strange place.  You may want to check it. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #362 on: January 03, 2007, 03:51:00 PM

How bizarre.  Your link keeps sending me to a very strange place.  You may want to check it. 

Darniaq just has a ver different understanding of what a 'robust' UI is.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #363 on: January 03, 2007, 04:35:49 PM

Actually, Blizzard's approach to UI has been pretty interesting. I suspect they deliberately gave the players the tools in order to let the players determine what features were useful and should be added, and what were not. Then they happily coopted things in order to smooth the play experience for upcoming players.

Of course, sometimes they fuck up -- they've locked down the UI so much in combat now that if you summon a pet in combat, half the damn time the pet bar doesn't show up because Blizzard disallows the UI change internally.
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

Reply #364 on: January 03, 2007, 04:45:54 PM

I did like the UI customization of SB. Lots of tear-off goodness. My own looked like this. Can't remember if that was towards the peak of my play or the end.

I like the trend of extensible/moddable UI, but I don't like that all of that happens outside the core game. It allows devs to excuse hastily-considered UI choices because they know the players will fix whatever needs fixing anyway. I prefer ingame customization.

Though SB was confusing for the uninitiated, as was UO and as is EQ2.

Oh, I was INITIATED. Wise old man, even. But Shadowbane's UI was, if I may be so bold, TOO customizable. It could get to the point where you'd screw something up, drag it into a corner, forget how to reset it, and have to start from scratch.

Also, you might want to check the link that your Tiny URL points to.

The thread is in a forum called 'Guys on a Diet', and they're talking about hugging one another and being supportive.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2007, 04:47:38 PM by Nonentity »

Nonentity
Terracotta Army

Reply #365 on: January 03, 2007, 04:46:44 PM

Ignore the double post. Nothing to see here.

KITTEN! KITTEN!

Hello Kitty

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #366 on: January 04, 2007, 01:13:30 AM

Did you get sent to WW too ??

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #367 on: January 04, 2007, 01:55:42 AM

Did you get sent to WW too ??
The truth is revealed: Darniaq is actually a woman and was the one that got stuck in the cave.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #368 on: January 04, 2007, 01:58:29 AM

That's an ugly truth.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #369 on: January 04, 2007, 06:21:20 AM

Damn, now I SHOULD have checked the link before fixing it.

I have no clue how my JPG link got switched to some tinyurl thing. You guys know me. I'm not good at that humor thing. Honest mistake :)
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #370 on: January 04, 2007, 01:00:08 PM

Omg DQ is posting from a cave somewhere. TOURISTS R @ STAKE!
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #371 on: January 04, 2007, 01:23:57 PM

One demerit for not spelling it "steak" to Sky!

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #372 on: January 04, 2007, 03:53:49 PM

Was it a cave on a boat?

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #373 on: January 04, 2007, 05:09:48 PM

Holy crap, now I see where it was pointed (didn't want to chance it at work). Heh, my sis posts in that and was up for the holidays. I probably made the above post on her laptop. Copy/Paste Man strikes again!
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #374 on: January 05, 2007, 03:29:58 AM

My blog: http://endie.net

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #375 on: January 05, 2007, 08:01:00 AM

When the unexpected becomes the expected, the expected is unexpected.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #376 on: January 05, 2007, 10:06:17 AM

When the unexpected becomes the expected, the expected is unexpected.

Ha!  I've infected you with my klein bottle mind control disease.  Now you sound like me!

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #377 on: January 05, 2007, 12:05:17 PM

When the unexpected becomes the known, only the known and unknown unknowns remain.
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #378 on: September 17, 2007, 11:00:12 AM

*NECROPOST*

According to the Areae website, they will be unveiling new info about what they've been working on tomorrow at Techcrunch 40

This is listed as their new website.

Let the speculation resume at your leisure.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #379 on: September 17, 2007, 11:28:23 AM

*NECROPOST*

According to the Areae website, they will be unveiling new info about what they've been working on tomorrow at Techcrunch 40

This is listed as their new website.

Let the speculation resume at your leisure.

Furcanada: Secondary life ,"Your Space to Broadcast yourself".
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 11:31:21 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #380 on: September 17, 2007, 11:35:12 AM

Oh, dear.

This should be entertaining.
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #381 on: September 17, 2007, 11:48:15 AM

Remember, it's not for you.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #382 on: September 17, 2007, 12:09:07 PM

Metaplace is (IMO) a bad name though.  Way too nerdy.  The people that it is for are going to want a 'fun' name.  Metaplace?  Not fun.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #383 on: September 17, 2007, 12:13:08 PM

Metaplace is (IMO) a bad name though.  Way too nerdy.  The people that it is for are going to want a 'fun' name.  Metaplace?  Not fun.

SunshineHappyFunPlace.com

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
schild
Administrator

Reply #384 on: September 17, 2007, 12:20:27 PM

MetaPlace isn't a bad name. It's just a terribly generic geek ripoff of Myspace.

MySpace.com

MetaPlace.com

In other words. It's not a new name, a good name, or a bad name. It's just a name. It blends in and is completely forgettable. At least Kaneva has an absolutely ridiculous name.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 33 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Raph is no longer taunting us (Metaplace)  
Jump to: