Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 06:24:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Raph is no longer taunting us (Metaplace) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 33 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Raph is no longer taunting us (Metaplace)  (Read 517746 times)
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #280 on: December 28, 2006, 02:17:30 PM

Nipples are SERIOUS business.
El Gallo
Terracotta Army

Reply #281 on: December 28, 2006, 02:25:19 PM

There weren't originally supposed to be unhealable pools, either. :P I love how we're still discussing HAM all these years later...!

OK, so let's take a step back. Health and mana are indeed not broken. But they aren't entirely suitable for a sci-fi game either. After all, in a sci-fi game, you are hopefully having a variety of activities, some based on brawn and some based on intelligence, and some based on agility, and so on. Spending mana for a thief move, or rage for a mage ability, would be equally silly. Especially when we have abilities we want to have that range from hacking to breaking doors to walking balance beams (yeah, none of these showed up. But that's what you want the system for).

Obviously you change the names.  You have health, focus (for mental activities) and stamina (for physical ones).  (You could sub-divide the last into agility and endurance if you want to separate dexterity-based physical actions from strength-based ones, I'll use the 3-bar example for the rest of this post, but everything works just as well for 4).  That's all okey-dokey.  A red bar, a blue bar and a yellow bar.  Been done.  Familiar to players.  Proven to work.

I get damaged, red bar goes down.  I diagnose my buddy's injury, my blue bar goes down.  I jump up over a wall, yellow bar goes down.  I need to manage my blue and yellow bars when deciding what to do. 

Given the classless system, we couldn't really hide any of them. This is also the single biggest weakness of the HAM system -- not that pools were attackable or spendable (which is again, just a mana drain sort of effect, or a "weaken your shields when you fire" sort of effect) but rather that there's just too many numbers involved.

This is the stop where I get off the bus.  Health, stamina and mana bars aren't complicated and there aren't too many numbers.  Hell, they use pretty much that exact system in EQ.  If you can figure out how to install the game, you can handle 3 bars.  Diablo2 has 3 bars ffs.  So does EQ.

The problems were (a) reducing any pool to zero killed/incapped you and (b) each character could really only do damage to one of the three pools.  That's what made it different from Generic_Health/Mana/Stamina System_01 and, not coincidentally, that's what made it suck.

Mana- and stamina-draining special abilities (and defenses against same) are great, especially when you have to make choices between them both offensively and defensively.  What's not great is the fact that I can only hurt mana and my friend can only hurt stamina, so the system makes it basically worthless for us to cooperate.  What's also not great is the fact that getting shot in the face with a rifle is only damaging because I can't solve quadratic equations as quickly. 

If I were doing it today, given all the critiques, I probably would have maintained the idea of three manas, but split off the health on top of them. I believe one of the combat revisions proposed this. The health bar would be the only one you would show all the time. The mana bars would still be there, but be invisible most of the time. I bet you could cue people with a bar that shows only when you are using your special -- say you "load up" a mind-based ability, like sniping. THEN a focus meter shows up on your screen. And damage to your focus or your strength could be indicated ojnly as it happened, or only when you are at critical level, or something. Then a lot of the confusion might die off.

Your players aren't that stupid.  Again, Diablo 2 has 3 bars.  You don't need to hide the information from us (and, if we can, we'll just use mods to get that information back if at all possible).  But yeah, this sounds like the 4-bar idea I mentioned above, the health bar, which keeps you alive, and focus/stamina/agility bars to pull off special moves.  Very simple.  Very non-innovative.  Very workable.  Very much not what we got.

And that's before we get to wounds. Wounds being separate on all three bars (think concussion, broken limb, blood loss) is almost certainly overkill.

I don't think wounds are overly complex.  They may be more annoying than fun (and therefore not a good idea), but they are easily understandable.  It's just a debuff and you need to go to a hospital to get it removed.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2006, 05:48:12 PM by El Gallo »

This post makes me want to squeeze into my badass red jeans.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #282 on: December 28, 2006, 02:31:14 PM

I bet most of your nipples are silly.  It's not like you do anything with them.  Even my nipples are silly.  Hopefully, Raph's nipples will make him a bit of dosh.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #283 on: December 28, 2006, 02:31:46 PM

This thread clearly has way too much SWG talk, and needs to focus more on nipples, or the discussion of the game company itself in which this thread is titled.

But 'nipples' are silly, and nobody actually seems to want to talk about the company, so lets instead talk about this picture.

Go.

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #284 on: December 28, 2006, 02:35:36 PM

Ya know...you can make your combat system as complex as you want, as long as you ease the player into it. ;)

And um, apparently Christian married Satan at the end of Moulin Rouge, and Jesus presided over the ceremony.

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

The Anne Coulter of MMO punditry

Reply #285 on: December 28, 2006, 04:07:23 PM

That was the alternate happy ending on the George Lucas remastered edition of Episode 1.

Nyght
Terracotta Army

Reply #286 on: December 28, 2006, 04:21:47 PM

And um, apparently Christian married Satan at the end of Moulin Rouge, and Jesus presided over the ceremony.

The greatest thing you'll ever learn....

"Do you know who is in charge here?" -- "Yep."
Thelurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #287 on: December 28, 2006, 04:55:22 PM

I love how we're still discussing HAM all these years later...!

Yeah, about that. You bring up UO every so often as a positive point to your portfolio. Anything that comes after that is fair game then, positive or negative.

It is easy to mention the good, and then cry foul on the bad. Good old internet.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #288 on: December 28, 2006, 05:00:11 PM

Ham and nipples, mmm mmm good.

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #289 on: December 28, 2006, 05:14:13 PM

3 bars is not complex. 3 bars where each template as their own unique 3rd bar isn't complex either. It's how the players first learn the information and then later are expected to parse it that really drives usability. SWG didn't use levels as indicators, but it certainly had them. What players were shown at what amounted to "level 1" was both daunting and non-intuitive, for all the reasons mentioned. The system should have been presented sequentially.
hal
Terracotta Army

Damn kids, get off my lawn!

Reply #290 on: December 28, 2006, 07:21:20 PM

Nipples are serious business. I just had to add that. Of course the aforementioned nipples are attached to way to large surreal and unnatural boobs. But you allready knew that.

I started with nothing, and I still have most of it

I'm not a complete idiot... Some parts are still on backorder.
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #291 on: December 28, 2006, 09:42:29 PM

Yeah, about that. You bring up UO every so often as a positive point to your portfolio. Anything that comes after that is fair game then, positive or negative. It is easy to mention the good, and then cry foul on the bad. Good old internet.

Yeah, about that. The rest of us are talking about nipples now. Good old Internet.

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #292 on: December 29, 2006, 07:09:42 AM

Nipples are like little faucets for tiny children.  If you don't have any tiny children or if you're a man, your little faucets are broken.  If the little faucets in your tiny sinks were broken, you'd throw them away!  Therefore, nipples are silly for men and women who don't have tiny children to make their little faucets work.  I mean tiny nipples. You know what I mean.

shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #293 on: December 29, 2006, 07:21:14 AM

Ham and nipples, mmm mmm good.

My nipples taste like ham.

I have never played WoW.
Akkori
Terracotta Army

Reply #294 on: December 29, 2006, 08:35:43 AM

How long do you think it will take for Raph to re-think his choice of company name? LOL

I love the position : "You're not right until I can prove you wrong!"
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #295 on: December 29, 2006, 08:49:34 AM

3 bars was too simplistic. I say we should try for 12 bars. Then when people gripe about it, they'd have the 12 bar blues.
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

Reply #296 on: December 29, 2006, 09:06:57 AM

3 bars was too simplistic. I say we should try for 12 bars. Then when people gripe about it, they'd have the 12 bar blues.

I see what you did there.

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #297 on: December 29, 2006, 09:08:19 AM

Weiland needs to come up with his own damn album covers:

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #298 on: December 29, 2006, 09:09:10 AM

Perhaps it was a sort of tribute?

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #299 on: December 29, 2006, 09:09:30 AM

No, not really.
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

Reply #300 on: December 29, 2006, 11:10:43 AM

I know what the 12 bar blues are, I was just being dumb.

But hey, imagine that for a second:

Raph, don't steal my idea.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #301 on: December 29, 2006, 11:26:25 AM

Firstly, it was my idea.
Secondly, you forgot the nipple bar.
Thirdly, Scott Weiland? Oh fuck no. Muddy Waters just rolled in the grave. (also: good call by Stray)
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

Reply #302 on: December 29, 2006, 11:28:51 AM

Firstly, it was my idea.
Secondly, you forgot the nipple bar.
Thirdly, Scott Weiland? Oh fuck no. Muddy Waters just rolled in the grave. (also: good call by Stray)

Fine, fine. You get design credit, I get implementation credit.

You should have written up the nipple bar in the design docs. We'll put it on the HAM bar, because a nipple is like HAM on your chest.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #303 on: December 29, 2006, 12:07:32 PM

mmm....ham chest....
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #304 on: December 29, 2006, 12:10:24 PM

Nonentity
Terracotta Army

Reply #305 on: December 29, 2006, 12:26:18 PM

Don't mess with me. I know that HAM comes from pigs. Or Star Wars Galaxies.

Is that a Galaxy bunny?

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #306 on: December 29, 2006, 01:55:24 PM

It's a little hare on your chest.   embarassed

Nonentity
Terracotta Army

Reply #307 on: December 29, 2006, 03:41:04 PM

Get out.

You're not allowed to participate in the 12 bar discussion anymore.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #308 on: December 29, 2006, 04:34:26 PM

It's a little hare on your chest.   embarassed

Oh, Jesus.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Raph
Developers

Title delayed while we "find the fun."

Reply #309 on: December 29, 2006, 07:27:34 PM

Whee. This thread is funny.
geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

The Anne Coulter of MMO punditry

Reply #310 on: December 29, 2006, 08:52:04 PM

Sorry, I've been away too long.  Soon I shall take offense to a minor thing and suck all the fun out of the thread like a ham vampire's fanged nipple.

All games should have a candy bar.

Also, the implementation model still has more terrain showing than healer gets to see during a raid.

Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #311 on: December 29, 2006, 09:04:06 PM

Holy crap that game looks AWESOME! If we've gleaned anything from this discussion, it's that jazz is fueled by tiberium.

El Gallo
Terracotta Army

Reply #312 on: December 29, 2006, 09:42:45 PM

This post makes me want to squeeze into my badass red jeans.
Raph
Developers

Title delayed while we "find the fun."

Reply #313 on: December 30, 2006, 12:48:16 AM

Actually, that game looks just about exactly like a high level raider's HUD in WoW.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #314 on: December 30, 2006, 07:28:26 AM

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 33 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Raph is no longer taunting us (Metaplace)  
Jump to: