Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:26:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Attention moles, fess up. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Attention moles, fess up.  (Read 12445 times)
Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: December 13, 2006, 05:15:09 PM

Here how you tell a plant: 1) sub 50 posts 2) defends or promotes specific product but does not generalize 3) majority of 50 posts are 'me too'/'I like it' on WoW or equally generic topics

Except that is the old way. The new old way is to go to the heavy existing users and pay them to slip stuff in. This is happening with Digg already. In the adult industry people take it a step farther and just sell their sigs out as banner space to the highest bidder.

There is also a blog advertising company where you can pay $X dollars per blog post (usually between $1 and $10) about your product/service/whatever. Disclosure is optional.

Everything that is old is new again! It's not like all the dead search engines like Altavista didn't use to put paid search results at the top above real results and not tell you about it.

Edit: Where's the FTC whining about product placement in TV shows? Yeah I thought so, FTC, you fucks.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2006, 05:18:15 PM by Krakrok »
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #36 on: December 13, 2006, 07:28:38 PM

I think i was busted before, but i must admit it again: i am a mole for the Russians.

you mean russianwives.com? or russianbrides.com?

It's, inconsequential really. All money, all into same pocket.

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: December 13, 2006, 07:43:14 PM

Moles fucking piss me off.  That's like missing the whole point of the internet, where you can just hang out and be cool without having big corporations bother you, man.  Am I right?  It's so irritating, it almost makes me want to put down this delcious Diet Cherry Vanilla Dr. Pepper®, the great new taste that's taking the nation by storm, to write some letters of complaint to a congressman or something.

Also, didn't see this mentioned anywhere here (snagged it off Penny-Arcade), but, uh, oops...  Yet another brilliant PSP campaign from Sony.
geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

The Anne Coulter of MMO punditry

Reply #38 on: December 13, 2006, 07:45:27 PM

Once one becomes educated on the ways of the net to the point they realize that game impressions are heavily subjective, the viability of moles becomes mute.  If 5 people say a game is good while 500 people are saying a game sucks, I'm going to say that I might not like the game, but those 500 people may have different tastes in games than me.

geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

The Anne Coulter of MMO punditry

Reply #39 on: December 13, 2006, 07:45:59 PM

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #40 on: December 13, 2006, 07:59:40 PM

That blog sucks. They used srsly instead of seriously. Fucktards.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
squirrel
Contributor

Reply #41 on: December 13, 2006, 09:07:24 PM

Edit: Where's the FTC whining about product placement in TV shows? Yeah I thought so, FTC, you fucks.

Yeah, because blatant obviously paid for product placement in crappy commercial TV is so deceiving. Just like that shill thing. Er. Not.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2006, 09:43:00 PM by squirrel »

Speaking of marketing, we're out of milk.
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #42 on: December 13, 2006, 09:34:20 PM

Oh don't youu worry. I'll be buying me a mink coat this winter.

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
KapcomS
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: December 14, 2006, 04:20:42 AM

Here how you tell a plant:

1) sub 50 posts
2) defends or promotes specific product but does not generalize
3) majority of 50 posts are 'me too'/'I like it' on WoW or equally generic topics

I'm not a plant, I just hate stupid people.
Now buy a DS before I fashion a hat out of your kidneys.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: December 14, 2006, 06:01:59 AM

I admire honesty.

So are you seriously telling me that, as a member of the top ten posters here, I could get some cash just for annoying the fuck out of everyone with my 'likes' ?

Schild, say it ain't so.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #45 on: December 14, 2006, 10:42:04 AM

I think i was busted before, but i must admit it again: i am a mole for the Russians.

you mean russianwives.com? or russianbrides.com?

It's, inconsequential really. All money, all into same pocket.

The Russian Mob?

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Daeven
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: December 14, 2006, 11:43:52 AM

Tzar Putin's Cyborg Clone army.

"There is a technical term for someone who confuses the opinions of a character in a book with those of the author. That term is idiot." -SMStirling

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #47 on: December 14, 2006, 12:16:01 PM

I could be a mole, I do work for a software company. We don't make games though, and have a company policy against posting about our products at all.

I'll just keep pimpin Canadian beer.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #48 on: December 14, 2006, 12:28:50 PM

I admire honesty.

So are you seriously telling me that, as a member of the top ten posters here, I could get some cash just for annoying the fuck out of everyone with my 'likes' ?

Schild, say it ain't so.

If one could do that, I'd be sitting on a pile of fucking twentys caressing my lily-white ass right now.

Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: December 14, 2006, 06:40:08 PM

Yeah, because blatant obviously paid for product placement in crappy commercial TV is so deceiving. Just like that shill thing. Er. Not.

How about you define how they're different and we'll go from there (and don't try to play the trust card.. people trust their TV).
sinij
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: December 14, 2006, 08:00:04 PM

One is based on pretending to be independent, unbiased reviewer and another is clearly promoting your product.

Let's say I'm trying to sell you SirBruce posts. If I'm a mole I'd proceed something like "I enjoyed every single post by SirBruce, regardless of how controversial it is, leaving me at the edge of the seat waiting for new dose of excitement. I can't recommend enough reading his posts." If I was writing an add for SirBruce post I'd go something like "Get your new shocking dose of SirBruce posting, now with 50% more furry and 1.5 more inches of cock in every post!". I hope you can tell the difference.

Eternity is a very long time, especially towards the end.
Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: December 14, 2006, 08:16:41 PM

One is based on pretending to be independent, unbiased reviewer and another is clearly promoting your product.

Your example is not product placement. That is straight advertising. This is product placement.
sinij
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: December 14, 2006, 08:26:32 PM

You are technically right, to get 100% correct comparison to product placement I had to include SirBruce's post in the body of my original post instead of summarizing it.

Eternity is a very long time, especially towards the end.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #53 on: December 14, 2006, 11:17:15 PM

I am not currently a mole, but would be willing to accept money in order to learn.

-->THIS SPACE FOR RENT<--

CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #54 on: December 15, 2006, 12:24:12 PM

You are technically right, to get 100% correct comparison to product placement I had to include SirBruce's post in the body of my original post instead of summarizing it.

Learning to spell "ad" would help too.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #55 on: December 15, 2006, 12:38:46 PM

Is there a *snigger* smiley?
squirrel
Contributor

Reply #56 on: December 15, 2006, 01:42:54 PM

How about you define how they're different and we'll go from there (and don't try to play the trust card.. people trust their TV).

Shill - deceives the consumer by pretending to be an objective consumer providing positive feedback or a positive value judgment on a product which is often false. ("Hi guys! I just tried game x and it's awesome!! Me and my brother played all night long")

Placement - no deception as television/film has never claimed to be impartial (except obviously news etc.) and no value judgement is being articulated. That's left for the consumer to do. ("Gee I think James Bond is really cool and since I saw him drink Smirnoff Vodka it must be a great product")

Honestly they're about as different as two forms of marketing can get.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2006, 01:52:44 PM by squirrel »

Speaking of marketing, we're out of milk.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #57 on: December 15, 2006, 11:16:18 PM

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Attention moles, fess up.  
Jump to: