Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 11:10:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Firefly MMO 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Firefly MMO  (Read 68928 times)
Viin
Terracotta Army

on: December 07, 2006, 03:23:50 PM

Just saw this pop up on Wired News:

Multiverse, maker of a free MMO-creation platform, plans to announce Friday morning that it's struck a deal with Fox Licensing to turn the show into an MMORPG in the fashion of Star Wars Galaxies or Eve Online.

Full article here.

Since SWG and EVE are nothing alike, I don't know what that means. And I'm not insipired by their 'in game' screenshots at http://www.multiverse.net/.

Edit: for bad typing
« Last Edit: December 07, 2006, 03:35:49 PM by Viin »

- Viin
Nyght
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: December 07, 2006, 03:34:05 PM

One ponders how The Wild West in Space could possibly be worse then the Roman Empire in Space.

Inventive, these game folks are.

"Do you know who is in charge here?" -- "Yep."
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: December 07, 2006, 03:38:44 PM

Since SWG and EVE are nothing alike, I don't know what that means.

It probably means "Sci-Fi, with spaceships."  Kinda like explaining "pork bellies" to Eddie Murphy.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #3 on: December 07, 2006, 03:43:17 PM

Space has always been about the Wild West.

Space has never been about Romans.

That's one difference.
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: December 07, 2006, 03:57:04 PM

Oh.  Hell.  Yes.

schild
Administrator

Reply #5 on: December 07, 2006, 04:12:21 PM

Lol.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #6 on: December 07, 2006, 04:17:14 PM

And I'm not insipired by their 'in game' screenshots at http://www.multiverse.net/.
Yup, and they also took off the listing of their previous "reference" game -- Dark and Light. They also took off some of the Chinese games that were using the engine.

Edit: sorry that's wrong, I was confusing them with Big World.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2006, 05:20:27 PM by Trippy »
geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

The Anne Coulter of MMO punditry

Reply #7 on: December 07, 2006, 04:22:00 PM

A Firefly MMO is an intellectual properly that could make a pretty good game.

However, that it's being developed a company whose only previous experience has been making low-budget MMOG construction sets does less than inspire.

Rhonstet
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: December 07, 2006, 04:58:36 PM

I dunno.  The fact that they picked a company that works only on game mechanics and doesn't have some artistic 'vision' to satisfy cheers me up considerably.

We now return to your regularly scheduled foolishness, already in progress.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #9 on: December 07, 2006, 05:06:49 PM

I dunno.  The fact that they picked a company that works only on game mechanics and doesn't have some artistic 'vision' to satisfy cheers me up considerably.
If you read the company bios it's even bleaker than that.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #10 on: December 07, 2006, 05:30:24 PM

Lol.

I hate it when I'm forced to agree with schild in regards to MMOs.

Lol indeed.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Damn Dirty Ape
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: December 07, 2006, 05:51:00 PM

Yes, but do they plan on making Reavers a PC race for the "azz-rape" crowd?
geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: December 07, 2006, 06:12:48 PM

Yes, but do they plan on making Reavers a PC race for the "azz-rape" crowd?

OMG! This is the perfect MMORPG IP.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #13 on: December 07, 2006, 06:26:42 PM

Unless Whedon and some of the shows other writers are involved, I don't really see the point.  There's not much about the setting itself that's inherently interesting, I mostly watched the show for the characters.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: December 07, 2006, 07:34:07 PM

The article says that they are actually hiring someone else to do the MMO, it's just that it'll be done with their 'toolkit'. So far I'm not impressed with their toolkit, but who knows, maybe someone knows how to make something consumable with it.

- Viin
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #15 on: December 07, 2006, 07:37:04 PM

Whedon is pretty damn possessive of this IP.  He has hinted at doing more with the 'verse and always states anything can happen.  I seriously doubt he gave up any rights without his direction.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: December 07, 2006, 07:41:13 PM

I'm sure it was Fox's doing.

Raging Turtle
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: December 07, 2006, 07:44:00 PM

Unless Whedon and some of the shows other writers are involved, I don't really see the point.  There's not much about the setting itself that's inherently interesting, I mostly watched the show for the characters.

Agree.  Not that interesting a setting.  Alliance(empire) vs. Independents(rebels).  And then go fight reavers.  Eh.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #18 on: December 07, 2006, 07:45:35 PM

I'm sure it was Fox's doing.

He refuses to do business with Fox due to their treatment of Firefly.  All Fox had rights to was a TV show based on the IP; from what I understand he was (justifiably as it turns out) neurotic about the contract.  Basically Fox had a rights to TV shows based on Firefly, and perhaps a cut of future films.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #19 on: December 07, 2006, 07:46:59 PM

Agree.  Not that interesting a setting.  Alliance(empire) vs. Independents(rebels).  And then go fight reavers.  Eh.
Wrong way to think about it. Think more Elite/Privateer -- i.e. make your own way in the galaxy as captain of your own (little) ship.

Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: December 07, 2006, 07:53:56 PM

Multiverse confuses me. It's like a DVD authoring facility decided to make a movie.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #21 on: December 07, 2006, 08:09:09 PM

Wrong way to think about it. Think more Elite/Privateer -- i.e. make your own way in the galaxy as captain of your own (little) ship.

Which is all well and good and all, but doesn't really require the Firefly IP.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #22 on: December 07, 2006, 10:29:20 PM

Except that "Wild West" gunfights are cool and if you are going to do a Western in space you might as well try and get the Firefly license.
geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: December 07, 2006, 10:37:44 PM

Ah, but you're forgetting:
The whole wild untamed interstellar frontier angle is one thing that no MMORPG has really managed to capture.  If it was just a matter of making Elite in space, that's been done many-a-time.

Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: December 07, 2006, 11:09:36 PM

The article says that they are actually hiring someone else to do the MMO, it's just that it'll be done with their 'toolkit'. So far I'm not impressed with their toolkit, but who knows, maybe someone knows how to make something consumable with it.

The engine seems pretty damn maleable. You can stuff your own game systems in there ya know. Hell, you probably don't even have to use the toolkit.

The whole wild untamed interstellar frontier angle is one thing that no MMORPG has really managed to capture.  If it was just a matter of making Elite in space, that's been done many-a-time.

Here's a thought. Is it possible to make a civ-building MMO that's based on static quests? Would it be fun? Would it defeat the purpose? Personally I think that would make a kick-ass single player game. Not so sure about an MMO.

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #25 on: December 07, 2006, 11:41:22 PM

I think Chris Roberts tried that. He failed, and then disappeared off the face of the earth. His game was recycled into Freelancer.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #26 on: December 08, 2006, 12:49:52 AM

I hope it generates an absurd amount of fan-hype and then is greeted with total apathy by consumers.  Watching Serenity top every "MOST ANTICIPATED MOVIE OF THE YEAR!11!1!" poll on the intarweb and then die like a dog at the box office was some funny shit.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #27 on: December 08, 2006, 12:59:34 AM

It was a pretty good flick and tv series though. There's no reason to dislike it because you like Star Wars so much. That's pretty retarded, even by your standards.
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: December 08, 2006, 01:03:36 AM

Well, since Firefly is just a rip-off - sorry, re-imagining - of Traveller, I get to say w00t!  Sod your Shadowrun MMO, does this mean I get a Traveller Online MMO at last?

And why are you complaining?  There are absolutely, positively no elves or orcs in Firefly.  There are plenty of hookers, though.  I wonder if they'll make *that* a playable class.  It would have a certain strident honesty about what the SWG-entertainer crowd want to do, in any case.

My blog: http://endie.net

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #29 on: December 08, 2006, 01:31:36 AM

Gosh. Traveller. I never played it, but I remember my older brother had some plain black boxes with "Traveller" typed in red on them. That was like 1985.

I had no idea it was about space cowboys.
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: December 08, 2006, 01:40:14 AM

It wasn't so much that it was about space cowboys, as that you could do that if you wanted.  Traveller was usually about a bunch of folks in a ship, often a small trading ship with a couple of guns on it, getting hired to do various ethically or legally dubious things: smuggle this, save that person etc etc (although some campaigns were very different from these: militaristic, political etc).  The similarities are really rather extensive, though I don't think there's any reason to believe that the tv series was directly inspired by the game.  It's not a Underworld/White Wolf thing.  It's more an overall theme thing.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 01:51:34 AM by Endie »

My blog: http://endie.net

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #31 on: December 08, 2006, 04:56:41 AM

All I can say to this is that I don't think the Firefly IP is going to be worth what they paid for it.

Especially when the game launches in (and let's be charitable) about 2 years time.

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: December 08, 2006, 05:57:18 AM

Except that "Wild West" gunfights are cool and if you are going to do a Western in space you might as well try and get the Firefly license.
The core of this concept is pretty niche, particularly if they're referencing two nichey game systems (pre-CU SWG and Eve). Anyone can make a game like that sure. But to sell it, first to someone you need money from, and then to people you want playing it, an IP is going to make things much easier.

Firefly was not a mass hit. Doesn't matter what story you believe, whether Fox dropped the ball or it was just a niche concept. Firefly wouldn't be a good IP to move a diku for example. But, take the dedicated-audience IP and wrap a dedicated-audience game concept around it and you could have a winner.

And, I love(d) Firefly. Felt like "The Han Solo years", before Luke, Leia and all that. In a good way.
Jayce
Terracotta Army

Diluted Fool

Reply #33 on: December 08, 2006, 07:15:02 AM

According to this article, it's not Whedon that's involved, but FOX.

Clueless media conglomerate + clueless tool developer + some outsourced development house + IP separated from its creator: sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.

Witty banter not included.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #34 on: December 08, 2006, 07:16:25 AM

Space has never been about Romans.

That's one difference.
Yeah, what kind of idiot would have a scifi IP with an Emporer and a Senate?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Firefly MMO  
Jump to: