Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 08:54:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Firefly MMO 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Firefly MMO  (Read 68926 times)
Chenghiz
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: December 08, 2006, 07:30:13 AM

The only thing that makes Firefly awesome is the characters. This will not translate well into an MMO, I fear.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: December 08, 2006, 07:44:00 AM

Why not ?  It worked for Star Wars Galaxies.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: December 08, 2006, 07:49:26 AM

Space has always been about the Wild West.

Space has never been about Romans.

That's one difference.
Yeah, what kind of idiot would have a scifi IP with an Emporer and a Senate?

Yes, because the Romans were the only people ever to have an Emporer and Senate.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: December 08, 2006, 08:01:18 AM

Yes, because the Romans were the only people ever to have an Emporer and Senate.

You do know that copying is transitive: that if A copies B, and C then copies B, C is still copying A?

That said, the direct inspiration for the Emperor in SW was, Lucas says, not Augustus or his heirs but Ming the Merciless.  Given the godawfulness of the whole (and here I use the word loosely) "plot" of the bits he was responsible for I can well believe that the fat, beardy twat is telling the truth.

My blog: http://endie.net

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #39 on: December 08, 2006, 08:04:42 AM

it worked for Harry Potter. oh wait.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: December 08, 2006, 08:11:39 AM

cry

This is going to be Travesty Online.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: December 08, 2006, 08:44:52 AM

It'll be below everyone's radar probably. Except the fans, who'll never be pleased.

But I still retain hope. As long as they line up the right talent to build the actual game and assets.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #42 on: December 08, 2006, 08:49:28 AM

I'll be in my bunk.
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: December 08, 2006, 08:50:32 AM

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #44 on: December 08, 2006, 09:27:41 AM

Even if Firefly is stuck in niche, it will still work wonderfully as a vehicle to promote Multiverse.net.  Doubly so that the Firefly fanbase is probably overlaps with the market of people interested in making a mmog.

My problem with Multiverse.net is it not an "all in one" solution.  You'd still have to go through a third party to rent a dedicated server to host the thing.  Good for a small independent game shop, still not a solution for a hobbyist to try stuff out before committing to spending a lot of resources.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 09:41:41 AM by tazelbain »

"Me am play gods"
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #45 on: December 08, 2006, 09:35:25 AM

I'll be in my bunk.

One of my favourite quotes of all time, and I don't even know why...

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: December 08, 2006, 09:36:14 AM

Tazel, it's Multiverse, not Metaverse. Though their site is down (probably getting hammered by the folks you were talking about) :)
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #47 on: December 08, 2006, 10:24:13 AM

I never saw Firefly, but I actually thought Serenity was pretty good when I caught it on cable.

"I'm unarmed."
"Good!"  *BANG*

Lawl.

Of course, that doesn't mean I don't enjoy seeing it's slobbering-crazy fans getting reamed.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #48 on: December 08, 2006, 10:37:23 AM

I'm not a huge science fiction fan but I really enjoyed both the series and the film, unlike Star Wars.  I actually enjoyed SWG more than the films.  What does this mean?  I dunno.

(WUA, your words belie your festive avatard!  You so mean.)

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #49 on: December 08, 2006, 11:19:24 AM

Fox Merchandising goes on a money grab with what sci-fi IP they have. What's next, an X-Files MMOG? Harsh Realm? John Doe?

Fuck, we all know a Firefly MMOG will suck, because it will shatter every dream we might have had of a good MMOG in the universe. I'm not saying a good MMOG couldn't be done with that IP. I'm just saying it WON'T be done well.

WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #50 on: December 08, 2006, 11:23:31 AM

(WUA, your words belie your festive avatard!  You so mean.)

Sure his helmet may be festive, but look at him.  He still hasn't found shit, and he's not happy about it.

Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: December 08, 2006, 12:26:24 PM

You know - this could be the first 20 Million subscriber game....

My reasoning will be summed up in one word...Whores.

tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #52 on: December 08, 2006, 12:31:50 PM

SL has the most Whores per-capita of any game and it can't even make a profit.

"Me am play gods"
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #53 on: December 08, 2006, 12:38:16 PM

Haemish is right, of course.  It will suck.  The more you like the idea, the more it will suck. 

CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #54 on: December 08, 2006, 12:39:52 PM

SL has the most Whores per-capita of any game and it can't even make a profit.

Yeah, but some of the whores are making money hand over fist.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: December 08, 2006, 12:48:02 PM

SL might not be - but I bet the 40-year-old men pretending to be Julia Roberts are.

tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #56 on: December 08, 2006, 12:58:13 PM

But the army of men dressed as Julia Roberts aren't enough to get SL to any where near 20 million.

Ya, I know we are just quipping.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 02:01:16 PM by tazelbain »

"Me am play gods"
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #57 on: December 08, 2006, 01:58:50 PM

Actually, the more money the whores make in SL, the more money Linden Labs will make, since all the money is bought from Linden at some point. They are the ultimate pimp.

Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: December 08, 2006, 02:11:49 PM

My problem with Multiverse.net is it not an "all in one" solution.  You'd still have to go through a third party to rent a dedicated server to host the thing.  Good for a small independent game shop, still not a solution for a hobbyist to try stuff out before committing to spending a lot of resources.

Uhm, have you tried it?  I'm running the Multiverse server software right here, right now.  I could give you the IP address and open port through my router right now if I was stupid enough to want a critique of my Sparse Island of D'eath.  For a hobbyist it's ideal - if I knew anyone with artistic ability, at any rate - it's when you want to scale up from that that the costs start.

Twitter - Endieposts

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: December 08, 2006, 02:20:04 PM

You do know that copying is transitive: that if A copies B, and C then copies B, C is still copying A?

That said, the direct inspiration for the Emperor in SW was, Lucas says, not Augustus or his heirs but Ming the Merciless.  Given the godawfulness of the whole (and here I use the word loosely) "plot" of the bits he was responsible for I can well believe that the fat, beardy twat is telling the truth.

You missed the whole point, nevermind.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #60 on: December 08, 2006, 02:23:47 PM

Ming the Merciless was the shit.

Endie, are you saying otherwise?

Also, Star Wars was about Han Solo and Bubba Fett. There will be no arguments about that.
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: December 08, 2006, 02:59:43 PM

Ming the Merciless was the shit.

Endie, are you saying otherwise?

Oh, don't get me wrong.  Not only do I believe that the Mingster was everything Flash wasn't - successful, smart, straight... - I would also suggest that his policy of testing planets for pluck and then destroying the ones that showed it made Stalin look like a fucking pussy.  Sensible policies for a happier interstellar empire.

But you can't do Ming again.  Everything that was needed, was said.  Clearly Lucas was too busy writing down the bits of Kakushi toride no san akunin that he liked to make up a new and interesting protagonist.

Ironically, the most boring of our party leaders in the UK is called "Ming" Campbell.  Us Scots have the coolest names.

Twitter - Endieposts

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #62 on: December 08, 2006, 03:11:44 PM

You mentioned Stalin. You are awesome.

Thanks.  smiley

* Inside joke between me and myself. Don't mind me.

[edit]

Also, my brother (the one who played Traveller) is named Ming. He's not Scottish though.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #63 on: December 08, 2006, 04:17:42 PM

I used to have a parakeet named Stalin.  How cool is that?

WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #64 on: December 08, 2006, 11:59:08 PM

Boba Fett was a second-rate villain whose death was played as comedy.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #65 on: December 09, 2006, 12:01:42 AM

Heh. I guess I don't like him that much after all. Can't even spell his name right.
ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: December 09, 2006, 01:34:04 AM

Fox Merchandising goes on a money grab with what sci-fi IP they have. What's next, an X-Files MMOG? Harsh Realm? John Doe?

Hah.  Harsh Realm's plot pretty much is about people in an MMO.  But with terrorism and stuff.  Fuck, the first episode had a UO reference, if I remember rightly.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: December 09, 2006, 11:11:54 AM

Boba Fett was a second-rate villain whose death was played as comedy.
This is where it pains me how many people rate SW by the movies.

Well, not "pain" per se. More of a "I wish they made movies from what was created for the books" wish.
Akkori
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: December 09, 2006, 07:37:30 PM

Seeing the EU in a movie theatre would ROCK. Stackpole has some great SW books out. Did good BattleTech books too, btw.

I love the position : "You're not right until I can prove you wrong!"
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #69 on: December 09, 2006, 09:22:55 PM

You people and your EU.   You're the ones that made the prequels suck.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Firefly MMO  
Jump to: