Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 11:30:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: Issue 8 is Live 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Issue 8 is Live  (Read 46198 times)
Hutch
Terracotta Army

on: November 28, 2006, 11:30:12 AM

Issue 8 Goes Live

Patch Notes

This issue includes Veteran Rewards.
For heroes, Police Band and Safeguard missions are the analogue to the villains' newspaper and mayhem missions.
Also, the Faultline CoH zone has been revamped.

From farther down in the patch notes, they have reduced the rewards from PvP zone missions to be equal to the non-PvP equivalents. In other words, they've removed an incentive to go there. Curious.

Edit: doh, should I have posted this in The News Thread? If so, oops. Mod away.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2006, 11:32:00 AM by Hutch »

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006, 12:18:42 PM

From farther down in the patch notes, they have reduced the rewards from PvP zone missions to be equal to the non-PvP equivalents. In other words, they've removed an incentive to go there. Curious.
I didn't realize there were bigger rewards. I was curious about the pvp zones, given the relatively easy death penalty in Co*, but I always figured it'd be some kind of gankfest. And of course, a MM is a bit of an easy target.
Damn Dirty Ape
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: November 28, 2006, 12:26:31 PM

I had only a few minutes to muck around in Co* after installing the patch, but I did get to make one character even gayer by adding angel wings.  They did a good job with animation for winged flight. 
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: November 28, 2006, 12:44:25 PM

I didn't realize there were bigger rewards. I was curious about the pvp zones, given the relatively easy death penalty in Co*, but I always figured it'd be some kind of gankfest. And of course, a MM is a bit of an easy target.

Depending on server of course, the PvP zones tend to be sparsely populated. Especially zones other than Siren's Call. On my lowbie villains in particular, I used to look forward to reaching 15 so I could go do accelerated leveling in Booty Bay. The PvP zone access points in CoV are much more convenient than in CoH.

I was going to write more about it, but it's moot. Non-PvP zones have vendors, so they're the better leveling areas now.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: November 28, 2006, 12:54:34 PM

Zog no unnerstand 'levelling'.
geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

The Anne Coulter of MMO punditry

Reply #5 on: November 28, 2006, 01:03:42 PM

Quote from: Hutch
Edit: doh, should I have posted this in The News Thread? If so, oops. Mod away.
I8 deserves is own posts, says I.

Looks like I shouldn't have taken that month off from the game, as my goal to get level 50 before I8 has failed.  On the other hand, I've now the opportunity to start a brand new hero in order to fully appreciate the changes in I8... it just won't be a Kheldian. 

I'm thinking either another Scrapper or another Controller.  My issue with my existing Spines/Dark Scrapper is that I've since decided that Scrappers lacking single target damage focus defeat the purpose of being a scrapper.  My issue with my existing Illusion/Storm Controller is that I've come to realize that Phantasm damage isn't all that good (due to the illusionary component) and Storm does little to help that other than lay down a -RES rain.  Not that a Controller's damage will ever be good, but I might as well specialize on a character that does what Controllers really do: support a group.  My current one has an issue with scattering foes around in such a way as to make them hard to AOE nuke (the Phantasm's torrent and various weather effects).  I've since discovered that Wormhole is awesome enough to make up for Propel's freaking long animation uselessness.  I think I'll go Grav/Kinetics, or Grav/Radiation, fully aware that Singularities dont' do much damage but make up for that by being hard to kill and having their own built in repel fields.  Here's hoping that such alt-a-holicistic ideals don't kill the fun.

In other news, looks like a goodly part of my preloaded patch was corrupt, so I'll be getting into the game a little later than some.  Ah, what am I whining about, I'm home and most people are working right now.

Quote from: Sky
No leveling needed for PvP areas in CoH, it automatically sidekicks/mentors everybody up/down to the same level.  About the only benefit is having better enhancements slotted.  But then, that's not what Hutch (and probably not Sky) is saying  - what Hutch was saying is that the PvP areas provided a place a higher risk for higher reward.  I seem to recall the developers talking about why they made the decision to remove the higher rewards from those areas... I think it had something to do with a stopgap measure to stop exploitation.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2006, 01:19:35 PM by geldonyetich »

Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: November 28, 2006, 01:55:03 PM

Quote from: Sky
No leveling needed for PvP areas in CoH, it automatically sidekicks/mentors everybody up/down to the same level.  About the only benefit is having better enhancements slotted.  But then, that's not what Hutch (and probably not Sky) is saying  - what Hutch was saying is that the PvP areas provided a place a higher risk for higher reward.  I seem to recall the developers talking about why they made the decision to remove the higher rewards from those areas... I think it had something to do with a stopgap measure to stop exploitation.

Yes, I was talking about using the PvP areas for faster leveling. You got a bonus to the xp rewarded for finishing the mission. I used to think that you got bonus xp for the mobs inside the mission, but nowadays I think that you just get bonus xp for longbow/arachnos anywhere, not just in pvp missions.

In any case, if they did make this nerf in order to stop exploitation, they got me cold. I had a stint there where I actually went to SC to pvp, and I've done the Shivan mission in BB a few times, but most of my time in PvP zones was spent leveling, specifically because of the bonus mission xp.

edit: because "expoitation" is not a word

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: November 28, 2006, 02:07:06 PM

I don't play for fast levelling. I play for enjoyable gameplay. I follow story arcs and don't worry about how fast I'm 'levelling'. If I ever did, I'd go play another game because this one would have been boring.
geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: November 28, 2006, 02:18:21 PM

Silly me, I forgot the real plan was to go Blaster instead of Controller or Scrapper if I8 hit.  Blasters are pretty tough to play though, especially if I'm looking to make use of Defiance, better known as Ultimate Debt Temptation.

I'm a bit fuzzy as to what the developers actually said about removing the XP bonus for PvP areas, but I seem to recall that they were thinking that'd be a temporary thing rather than a permanent.  There is some incentive to PvP still, what with the temporary powers and SO awards and whatnot, but indeed I rather liked making more xp.

Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #9 on: November 28, 2006, 07:26:14 PM

but most of my time in PvP zones was spent leveling, specifically because of the bonus mission xp.

That wasn't the exploit.  They haven't detailed what it was, but the missions were intended to give a greater than normal bonus to experience due to the risk of traveling through the zone.  You weren't exploiting by going from mission to mission, that was the design.

And they have said that they're looking at ways to bring back that reward while still preventing the unspecified exploit.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #10 on: November 29, 2006, 04:31:17 AM

I'm just glad they added radio missions for heroes  :-D
PvP zone mission was the fastest way to level if you really want speed over story arcs before these radio missions came along.
It wasnt' because of the xp bonus, but due to very very small travel time, the extra XP was icing on the cake. There is almost no risk from being ganked. Do one patrol and you get a stealth temp power for 30 mins. Use it to do 2 more patrols, then you can make calls, saving time going back n forth. Now pick your favorite mission type and repeat it over n over. Since everytime you exit your mission you have 30 second timer to call, set mish , reach the entry point before being ganked...you're 90% safe of the time. Especially if you have stealth/superspeed powers. I did BB till 25 in CoH cause I couldn't stand the long distance story arcs ( running 2 zones for 500 xp is really retarded ) but now there's radio mission, I may start making an alt just to have fun instead of being frustrated by the slow story arcs.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #11 on: November 29, 2006, 06:18:01 AM

Afaik, the PvP zone exploit was:

1) have a high-level character sidekick a lower-level character

2) start a PvP zone misssion and almost complete it

3) have the lower-lvl player unsidekick

4) complete the mission.

The lower-lvl sidekick would then receive the mission complete reward at their lvl... plus the 25% bonus xp based on their sidekicked lvl. It was a cheap way of getting xp and one that wasn't easily fixable by the devs due to the way CoH/V handles mission rewards.

No, I never used this exploit, but that's what I've been told it was.

Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: November 29, 2006, 06:41:44 AM

Afaik, the PvP zone exploit was:

*steps*

OH.

No, I wasn't doing that. I was just "exploiting" the fact that I was getting bonus xp for essentially no risk. Between stealth, mez protection, the 30 second timer, and the fact that I almost never saw any opponents, much less got attacked, it was basically free xp.

rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #13 on: November 29, 2006, 08:05:30 AM

The only risk is keeping awake, lol seriouly just bored of it. And after 5 newspaper mish I'm about ready to fall asleep.
My L35 Scrapper keeps meeting the same EM boss in Safeguard in two different towns, wtf is up with that. The bitch just hits some sort of high-resist form at low hp that forced me to run since I'm only doing 5-20 dmg per hit...

After completing it once there's little reason for me to do it again though :( since I keep meeting that EM bitch

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: November 29, 2006, 09:53:07 AM

Yeah, when I say "Exploiting" I don't mean "playing the game optimally" so much as "using a cheap shortcut tactic".  Granted, there is a pretty fine line between them at times.  Personally, I wish the developers had gone with my zero xp debt in PvP zones idea.  Unfortunately some of the idiot message board users, whose apparent only gratification in life is to argue, decided to spin this combination of a needed PvP incentive and anti grief play measure in the direction of my simply suckering newbies into ganksville.  Ah well, I'm deluding myself into thinking any game developer does what they see on the suggestion boards unless they were planning on doing something similar already.

Rk47 - might need to lower your difficulty to the default level to do a Safeguard mission, as otherwise you might end up fighting a "supervillain" rank foe instead of a soloable one.  Bosses are one thing, supervillians are in a whole other league.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2006, 09:55:29 AM by geldonyetich »

Damn Dirty Ape
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: November 29, 2006, 03:10:25 PM

I have an overwhelming desire to create a "winged" themed character since my account qualifies for one and I've never had a flying toon.  Angelic or demonic, it doesn't matter to me.  Give me some ideas!  My current inclination is to create a diabolical mastermind who commands a wee regiment of minions from Hell.
hal
Terracotta Army

Damn kids, get off my lawn!

Reply #16 on: November 29, 2006, 03:29:39 PM

Lets think about it Ape. Your choices are solders, thugs, robots (perfir ranged) and zombies (perfir melee). With wings and you wanting a theme I can only see a flying MM Necro with zombies minions. Zombies perfiring melee is a bonus but they are slow and stupid. But there tough and they take aggro well.

I started with nothing, and I still have most of it

I'm not a complete idiot... Some parts are still on backorder.
geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: November 29, 2006, 03:34:53 PM

You forgot Ninjas. Granted, they majority of them aren't demons, but the Oni certainly is.  You could pretend the rest are demon ninjas and it would fit right in with Anime.

hal
Terracotta Army

Damn kids, get off my lawn!

Reply #18 on: November 29, 2006, 04:27:13 PM

Your right of course. And ninjas perfer melee? Well I think they do.

I started with nothing, and I still have most of it

I'm not a complete idiot... Some parts are still on backorder.
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: November 29, 2006, 05:06:29 PM

you should try to create one that looks like one of the wizard of oz flying monkeys and call him Damn Dirty Flying Monkey.  I think a Dark/Regen scrapper.

Or go Villian and creating a Sonic/Dark corrupter called Damn Dirty Flying Howler Monkey
geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: November 29, 2006, 06:56:19 PM

You'd have to abbreviate a bit.  I think CoX names top out at 16-20 characters.

Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #21 on: November 30, 2006, 08:10:23 AM

20 characters.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Damn Dirty Ape
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: November 30, 2006, 09:55:01 AM

The Flying Monkey Ninja name was open on Victory but I really don't need to create another character.  So, I switched my fire tanker The Solar Titan from super jump to flight, and gave her wings.  It fits the sun deity concept, anyway.  Acrobatics will be missed but Hasten replaced it and that's always a nice power to have.
geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: November 30, 2006, 02:26:34 PM

Meanwhile I'm flipfloppin' around on the Heroes side of the Virtue server, attempting the usual exercise of trying to find a clear-cut superior archetype in a game that has balanced them all to sufficient equilibrium. rolleyes If ever there were a reason to suspect I was obsessive compulsive, it's my alt-a-holism in MMORPGs.  I'm thinking maybe I should just settle for the blaster until 15, do the new Faultline content, then flee back to my Illusion/Storm Controller who is just 16 levels shy of 50.  I might not even be that patient and just say "screw Faultline" until I've unlocked my Kheldian.

Sorry, for a second there I confused this message board thread with my Blog.  Anyway, I'm enjoying Issue [8] so far.  The first safeguard mission gives me a handy-dandy Raptor Pack with 2 hours of flight fuel (just like the Villains) and combined with the Good vs. Evil jump pack that sure makes the climb to 14 easier.  I like how the bank robbers trail the dollar bills.  I soloed it easily enough on Heroic difficulty with a Blaster, but I got into an ugly newbie group last night that flubbed things terribly.  Choosing the wrong powers tends to hurt a hero's effectiveness somewhat, especially at lower levels, and our tank had only one tanking power and three pool powers.  My Blaster tanked better than him.  Safeguard missions have side missions to find just like in the villains side, and I managed to stop an arsonfor bonus time in one and find some charge-limited cryobands (ranged ice attack) in another.  My Sands of Mu veteran reward certainly helps with the damage output... at least when I have time to cycle it.  All in all, Issue [8] is a definate improvement, with the only sticking point being that players with less veteran rewards may feel they're at an unfair disadvantage.  Oh, and one my missions was broken, which is kinda worrisome.

[Edited to correct my issue issue as pointed out below]
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 03:23:04 PM by geldonyetich »

Damn Dirty Ape
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: November 30, 2006, 03:15:12 PM

I'm thinking maybe I should just settle for the blaster until 15, do the new Faultline content, then flee back to my Illusion/Storm Controller who is just 16 levels shy of 50.  I might not even be that patient and just say "screw Faultline" until I've unlocked my Kheldian.

It seemd to take me as long to go from 40 to 50 as it did to get from 1 to 40 with Doctor Fanboi, my main who is an inv/ss tank.  But I was going through a nasty divorce at the time and was drunk during most play sessions, so my perception then was a bit screwy.  NCSoft ought to use that as a slogan for CoH:  the grind ain't so bad when you're all liquored up!

Kheldians are nice but nothing too special.  I do like my 12th level warshade Dame Doom that I play sporadically, though.  The addition of quantum enemies in missions can be a bastard from time to time

Anyway, I'm enjoying Issue 9 so far.  The first safeguard mission gives me a handy-dandy Raptor Pack with 2 hours of flight fuel (just like the Villains)...

Can I borrow your time machine?

Seriously, though, I only had time before work today to go through two police band missions in FF with my level 33 fire/fire tank, but I'm looking forward to trying out a safeguard mission hopefully tomorrow night.  I'm abit clumsy with the character now as it's taking some time to get used to hovering in combat.  I got rid of Burn when they neutered it way back when so there's no need to touch the ground. 
geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: November 30, 2006, 03:59:26 PM

Flying fire tanks sound like most impressive fireballs indeed, but it's a pity that they were nerfed so hard.  I think it was all about the herding, another case where the developers thought, "Wow, people are making too much exp now" and took drastic measures.

Just as long to go from 40-50 as 1-40, you say?  Hmm, I think I'll trust your at the time drunken assessment and just stick with one of my lowbies.  Right now I'm deciding between a Sonic/Energy Blaster and a something/Regen Scrapper.  I'm driven back to the Blaster when I realize I've been down the Scrapper road before, but am driven back to the Scrapper when I realize how much more difficult soloing is when the only thing keeping you alive is a prompt defeat of one's enemies.  I either go for a proficient soloer or a risky one with more muscle.

The Blaster's up to level 10, but deciding on a Scrapper is a toughy for me.  I've got a Spines/Dark Armor Scrapper who's level 32, but I realized that I'm not really in favor of having nine toggles on my hotbars.  If it's avoiding toggles I'm after, 3 out of 4 Scrapper secondary sets are automatically disqualified: Regen it is, with the added bonus of never needing Stamina so I can play with pool powers some more.  I like my Martial Arts/Regen, but his AOE isn't quite enough even with a permanent Sands of Mu and it strikes me as being a bit monotonous taking down lots of minions with just one PBAOE attack and a tiny cone attack.  Maybe I should just bite the bullet and go Spines again, but Claws is another option... but neither really mesh well with Sands of Mu, so then it's back to Martial Arts/Regen.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 04:23:23 PM by geldonyetich »

Damn Dirty Ape
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: November 30, 2006, 06:00:11 PM

Flying fire tanks sound like most impressive fireballs indeed, but it's a pity that they were nerfed so hard.  I think it was all about the herding, another case where the developers thought, "Wow, people are making too much exp now" and took drastic measures.

I got in on one herding team back before the major nerfs, and I hated it even though we were getting insane exp gains.  I mean, I didn't need to do anything except stand over to the side.  Boring, boring, boring.

Just as long to go from 40-50 as 1-40, you say?  Hmm, I think I'll trust your at the time drunken assessment and just stick with one of my lowbies.  Right now I'm deciding between a Sonic/Energy Blaster and a something/Regen Scrapper.  I'm driven back to the Blaster when I realize I've been down the Scrapper road before, but am driven back to the Scrapper when I realize how much more difficult soloing is when the only thing keeping you alive is a prompt defeat of one's enemies.  I either go for a proficient soloer or a risky one with more muscle.

Well, keep in mind that ss tanks have only one area attack (foot stomp at 38), so I was pretty much confined to taking down one enemy at a time.  That combined with the fact I soloed the vast majority of time shows what sort of masochist I can be.  I imagine your controller would make out rather well now that police band missions mean not having to cross the city everytime you run a mission for that completion bonus.
geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: December 01, 2006, 10:48:22 AM

One doesn't need to outline specific powers for me for me to know that Tanks are sloooow soloers.  Kinda like a Controller - sure, you could solo a Tank and only be in risk of dying if you're a bad player, but it'll take forever.  So indeed, I've much appreciation towards your masochism. ;)  Although Fire Tanks had it a bit easier than many others... at least pre-nerfing.

If it wasn't for Faultline I'd probably not bother starting over for issue 8.  But so long as I am, I'm finding a better alternative to my level 32+ Controller (Illusion/Storm) and Scrapper (Spines/Dark Armor).

Last night I made some progress in starting a hero that I know CmdrSlack is quite familiar with: the Dark Melee/Regen Scrapper.  What a solid hero, with powerful hitpoint and endurance regeneration capacity on both of his power sets.  By level 8 I'll probably be virtually unkillable thanks to Siphon Life and Reconstitution.  At level 10, I'll probably get Hasten and become twice as unkillable. evil This guy would make a good stand in tank, and I plan to grab the  AOE provoke pool power.  I have doubts that the DM/Regen Scrapper ever gets much in the way of AOE capacity, though.  That's probably the Scrappers' only real shortcoming, and quite deliberately so.

I'm still tempted to go back to my Sonic/Energy Blaster because I have to say that Blasters are pretty exciting characters to play.  They're essentially naked in the breeze, but blow stuff up real good.  Blasters do not suffer from issues of lacking AOE.  The appeal to go Scrapper is that I can actually survive the retribution for my onslaught.  That, and Scrapper's defensive aspects give them a group role other than just nuking.

I like a complex character, so I'm really looking forward to a Kheldian (despite the Quantum/Void death traps arrayed before one) and kicking myself for having a 12 month veteran reward and not a single level 50 hero to show for it.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2006, 11:51:42 AM by geldonyetich »

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: December 01, 2006, 11:38:12 AM

One great thing about CoH is that you can't really make blanket statements about an AT because they vary so greatly depending on power sets, and further on slot specializations. My energy blaster (energy/energy, I'd drop the secondary in a second for some real crowd control like cold, melee knockback just doesn't cut it after 20 or so) has very weak AE powers. It's been a while, but I can only think of one I had by lvl 26, a cone with decent knockdown.

I've also had some alt-itis, but it doesn't last too long, especially since CoV. I was playing a rad/rad defender as my main alt in CoH, but he was pretty slow on offense, even if his primaries were great (and the best was nerfed later...). Rolled a rad/rad corrupter in CoV, basically a flip of the defender, and that's kinda cool. But also like the blaster in not being able to take punishment, so I rolled a claws/regen scrapper a couple weeks ago (a werewolf). Also tried out a brute. The MM is just such a great solo class, it's like trying to play other classes in EQ after playing a necro, it's just not as fun (imo!).
Glazius
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: December 02, 2006, 06:51:09 AM

Personally, I wish the developers had gone with my zero xp debt in PvP zones idea.
Well, they may have gone halfway on that.

Right now, you never get debt if you're owned by a player in a PvP zone.

If you get dropped by an NPC, you take debt inversely proportional to how much you got smacked around by players.

--GF
Damn Dirty Ape
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: December 02, 2006, 10:51:31 AM

These new safeguard missions are pretty hip.  My fire tank did one in FF today and picked up an endurance bonus power that's supposed to last for a couple of days real-time, IIRC.  The police band missions leading up to them are most welcome as I was getting completely sick of endless freakshow ones being handed to me by the regular contacts.  Arachnos goons ftw!

Now that kilts are a costume choice, I need to break out my inv/ss tank and design one as close as possible to this:

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #31 on: December 02, 2006, 12:28:08 PM

Why?  Are you Canadian?

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Damn Dirty Ape
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: December 02, 2006, 01:21:35 PM

Why?  Are you Canadian?

No, but Rush is my favorite band.  Does that count?
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #33 on: December 02, 2006, 03:20:18 PM

I want to say no, I really do... but since Rush is also just about my husband's favourite band, too, and he IS from Glasgow and today is our anniversary so I'm feeling all lovey and mushy and stuff... I guess I'll say yes, it counts.  Mostly.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Damn Dirty Ape
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: December 02, 2006, 03:44:49 PM

...today is our anniversary so I'm feeling all lovey and mushy and stuff...

Ah, happy anniversary, then.

I guess I'll say yes, it counts.  Mostly.

Newt wishes you a merry anniversary as well.  Mostly.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: Issue 8 is Live  
Jump to: