Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 08:22:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: Spider-man 3 (now including reviews so beware of possible spoilers) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Spider-man 3 (now including reviews so beware of possible spoilers)  (Read 30803 times)
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: November 29, 2006, 01:18:19 AM

Spoiler Tags ?  Really ??

Um.  Ok.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #36 on: November 29, 2006, 03:28:31 AM

Yeah it probably doesn't deserve the spoiler tag -- they showed Venom's face (well more like mouth) in the preview they showed during the Spider-Man 2 broadcast on FOX so it's not a secret anymore. It should've been more like a "don't watch if you don't want your soul crushed" tag. I still don't know where they got that clip from though.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: November 29, 2006, 03:50:12 AM

Well, I think I got it from SA and I believe one of the goons there has an 'insider mate'.

Which is usually the way.  I actually had an insider mate for Batman Begins which is why I wasn't freaking out about the Batmobile like most fanbois.  I knew the film was going to be awesome.

CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #38 on: March 05, 2007, 08:36:38 PM

For approximately the next 24 hours, you can see a 7 min, 20ish second trailer over at NBC.com.

It's not bad, but the stuff with Peter vs. Harry looks a bit goofy.  Harry (who I thought was either Green Goblin/Hobgoblin) has similar, but not the same junk as his dad.  His little flying device is a snowboard, which looks rather meh.

Also, sorry Ironwood, but there's definitely Venom in this one.

So yeah, hurry up to view the meh.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #39 on: March 05, 2007, 08:43:26 PM

For approximately the next 24 hours, you can see a 7 min, 20ish second trailer over at NBC.com.

It's not bad, but the stuff with Peter vs. Harry looks a bit goofy.  Harry (who I thought was either Green Goblin/Hobgoblin) has similar, but not the same junk as his dad.  His little flying device is a snowboard, which looks rather meh.

Also, sorry Ironwood, but there's definitely Venom in this one.

So yeah, hurry up to view the meh.

At this point I've already seen too much in the way of previews.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #40 on: March 05, 2007, 10:32:11 PM

Not even bothering with it. A nice trailer is very much welcomed -- But 7 minutes? Too much for me.
Evil Elvis
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: March 06, 2007, 04:25:53 AM

It looks more like Spy-Kids than Spiderman.  They CGI'd the fuck out of this movie.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: March 06, 2007, 07:04:46 AM

There is a big upside to all this venom nonsense.

Raimi will likely destroy Venom in an irrevocable manner, preventing future hack directors making a venom film without restarting the continuity.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: March 23, 2007, 09:19:57 AM

Holy Fuck.

Seriously, don't click that link.  It's too fucking awesome.

:(

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: March 23, 2007, 11:41:44 AM

That trailer was awesome.  They had it up for 24 hours or something and I caught it then.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: March 23, 2007, 12:15:54 PM

Damn - May 4th I might be sick.

MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: March 23, 2007, 01:43:35 PM

Final trailer released today can be found here. Lots of parts you've seen in other trailers except for the end. Full shots of Venom, albeit quick ones. He looks pretty "meh" but I expected worse.

I'm very mysterious when I'm inside you.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #47 on: March 23, 2007, 02:47:37 PM

3 villians?
I get the impression this is going to be a 2-parter.

"Me am play gods"
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: March 23, 2007, 03:05:56 PM

I doubt it.

You've pretty much seen what happens to one of them, I'd guess.  The other will be there for a smack about and 'main plot device'.

As for venom, I suspect it'll be a 10 minute gratuitous fan wank right at the end when no-one cares.

I'm so there.

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: March 23, 2007, 09:25:32 PM

Is the Spiderman franchise now the greatest superhero movie franchise of all time?

Discuss.

My vote=yes
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #50 on: March 23, 2007, 11:20:17 PM

Is the Spiderman franchise now the greatest superhero movie franchise of all time?

Discuss.

My vote=yes

Let's not get ahead of ourselves, Spider-man 3 isn't even out yet.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #51 on: March 23, 2007, 11:52:47 PM

I refuse to watch these trailers. This movie is getting spoiled a little too much, in my opinion.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: March 24, 2007, 02:08:15 AM

I'd agree with that.

tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #53 on: March 24, 2007, 11:09:46 AM

EDIT: Booched.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2007, 12:01:28 PM by tazelbain »

"Me am play gods"
MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: March 24, 2007, 11:39:52 AM

With the movies out so far, sure I'd put the Spider-man franchise at the top currently. Probably wouldn't be that way without the turds of some of the Batmans though. I loved the X-Men movies as a whole but it does not compare to how I feel when I sit down to watch a Spider-man.

I'm very mysterious when I'm inside you.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #55 on: March 25, 2007, 06:59:45 AM

Well, what franchises are there.. let's see.

Batman, Superman, X-men, then Spiderman.  That's it, right?  Spidey's been the most consistent of them.  The benefit of having the same director for all, I suppose.  Nothing crazy falling in that 3rd movie, because the first director decided he didn't want to persue it anymore.   Actual critique beyond that will need to wait until it's seen.  X3 looked good in trailers, too. 

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #56 on: March 25, 2007, 09:44:05 AM

wow wtf...peter didn't even get a single bruise...i mean he's got spider strength and all...but that's pushing it...even Wolverine bleeds.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #57 on: March 26, 2007, 12:17:54 AM

Ever seen a spider bleed?
Ever seen a spider with a bruise?

Didn't think so.

He has the proportionate invisible wounds of a spider.

Spiders have two modes: completely healthy, and crushed.  It follows that Spider-Man would only have the same two modes.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: March 27, 2007, 02:16:07 PM

He has the proportionate invisible wounds of a spider.

Spiders have two modes: completely healthy, and crushed.  It follows that Spider-Man would only have the same two modes.

So Sandman needs to stop with the fists and form a giant shoe is that what you're saying?

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #59 on: March 27, 2007, 07:25:57 PM

Exactly.

Or newspaper.

Ironic that Spider-Man's civilian identity works to produce one of the few things that can kill his alter ego.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: March 28, 2007, 02:55:08 PM

He makes clownshoes?

Evil Elvis
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: April 18, 2007, 01:17:15 PM

Here's a site with a bunch of new clips.  Some spoilers in them.

http://tinyurl.com/26f3tl

I still think it looks like Spy Kids.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: May 01, 2007, 05:21:29 AM

Discuss.

My vote=yes

I blame Tannhauser if spiderman 3 turns out to be as bad as the reviews so far are suggesting.

Last one I saw started comparing this film with Return of the bloody Jedi.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: May 01, 2007, 06:49:09 AM

Discuss.

My vote=yes

I blame Tannhauser if spiderman 3 turns out to be as bad as the reviews so far are suggesting.

Last one I saw started comparing this film with Return of the bloody Jedi.

So it is roughly 2/3rds satisfying? (Jedi had a cool space battle and the Luke/Vader showdown. And those damn Ewoks.)

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: May 01, 2007, 08:56:44 AM

I can just never shake the intuition that too many fucking villains is a recipe for disaster.  I am thinking about the homoerotic ice theater that was Batman and Robin here. 

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #65 on: May 01, 2007, 09:01:36 AM

I can just never shake the intuition that too many fucking villains is a recipe for disaster.  I am thinking about the homoerotic ice theater that was Batman and Robin here. 

I agree.  Even Batman Returns felt a bit forced, as you had Walkin, Pengin and Catwoman to work around.  Things got muddled.

I'd say Jedi was more 3/4 satisfying.  You had the Jabba's escape scenes as well, pointing out what a badass Luke had become.  Oh, and of course the gold bikini.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #66 on: May 02, 2007, 01:31:23 PM

Well, I just got called to come into work tonight and build a couple prints (and watch one).  I'll give my impressions sometime tomorrow.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #67 on: May 03, 2007, 03:45:59 AM

Ok, very minor spoilers here.  Nothing important (especially given how much of the movie has already been given away in trailers the past few months), but if you've kept yourself free of watching trailers and all that stuff you might as well skip this too:

First off I enjoyed the first two Spider-man movies for the most part.  They have their flaws, sure.  Peter and MJ have no chemistry most of the time.  In fact the scene with Peter and MJ talking while visiting Aunt May in the hospital in the first movie gets more and more painful for me to watch every time I see it (and when I show the movie to people who haven't seen Spider-man I become almost apologetic to the people watching when it comes to that scene and the scene between them at the end).  Spider-man 2 wasn't as bad in that respect (although with MJ having been with Flash, Harry, Peter, and John Jameson within the span of 2 movies, including leaving John at the alter at the end, she doesn't become any more likeable of a character).

The other issue I had with the first two movies is that while a lot of the special effects looked great, there are also some that just have that obvious CG look to them.  There's usually just one or two moments in almost every big action sequence where things just don't look right.  This obviously is the kind of thing that people may or may not notice.  For me it's a little irritating but not a huge deal.

The reason I mention all this is because for the most part these were the same issues that I had with Spider-man 3, and I'd rather get most of the bad stuff out of the way first.  The drama between Peter and MJ is as annoying to me as always.  Not only is she whiny due to her failures as an actress (plus she sings this time around too at the opening and closing of the movie), but she's jealous of Peter's success as Spider-man.  When the relationship runs into problems, the saddest part is knowing that they'll end up working things out eventually rather than take the opportunity to write MJ out of the series and hook Peter up with Gwen or Ursula (the landlords quirky daughter who also showed up in the last movie).

And again, in just about every major battle in the movie, there are some special effects that just aren't up to par with everything else.  Not a huge deal.  There's obviously a lot of effects work that has to be done in this movie and not everything is going to end up perfect.  A movie with Sandman and Venom in it could obviously have ended up looking a thousand times worse, so I'll accept the occasional odd looking moment.

There is one other major issue I had in this movie, that I'm sure a lot of people will comment on.  I'm not going to give anything away, but there's a scene with Harry's butler near the end of the movie that may make you want to yell at the screen, "why the fuck didn't you say something two movies back, jackass!" or something to that effect.  If there's one part of this movie that deserves ridicule (other than the aforementioned scenes of MJ singing) it's this.  I'm sure comments will also be made about the coincidence of the symbiote crashing to Earth not far from Peter, and the fact that neither he nor MJ hear the impact (they seem to be away from any noise at the time, it's not like it happens in the middle of the city).

So with all that out of the way, let me go a little bit into what I liked.  First and foremost, there are a lot of good scenes with Peter under the influence of the black costume.  It actually reminded me quite a bit of the episode of Highlander where Duncan MacLeod turns evil for a while.  A lot of it is played for laughs, but the end results (as most people have likely seen in the trailers, which is a shame because it would have had a lot more impact coming as a shock to the viewer) do a good job showing why Peter really needs to ditch the symbiote.  The second fight scene between Peter and Harry was actually probably my favorite to watch as they've both gone so far down the wrong path at that point that there are times during the fight where they're both clearly enjoying themselves.

With Sandman, again the problem is that if you've seen even a couple of the trailers, you've seen the majority of his scenes.  They try to make him pretty sympathetic, but it doesn't always ring true with some of the things he does here.  You want to believe he's a guy doing bad things for good reasons, and then he goes and throws cops through windshields and that kind of thing.  Unless you use G.I. Joe type logic and just assume that in all the violence nobody ever actually dies, it's just really hard to feel as sorry for the guy as they'd like us to.  The special effects they did with Sandman though I think was some of the most impressive work they've done through all three movies.

Venom... well like many people, I was afraid he could possibly ruin the movie.  He didn't do that, so that was a plus.  For those curious, he shows up in about the last 25 or so minutes of the movie.  He's fairly unique in the Spidey movies in that he's the one bad guy that you don't really feel the least bit sorry for.  Even Norman Osborn had his good points.  Eddie Brock on the other hand is pretty much just a self-centered dick, which I guess is a welcome change from the reluctant bad-guy all the other villains have been.

Harry gets a number of good moments here.  We've pretty much all seen the costume by now (the mask he wears is almost rarely on, as it retracts, revealing his face most of the time we see him in costume).  His character arc was probably the most satisfying one in this movie (of course I can forgive even his bitchiest moments in the movies just for the bitch slaps he gave Peter in number 2), and when he's at his worst it's enjoyable to watch.  Franco isn't the best actor in the world (I saw Flyboys), but he does good job kind of going back and forth between extremes here.

I'm not really going to say much about the plot.  Either you can already pretty much piece it together, or if you can't, you'd likely rather be surprised (although if that's the case you likely aren't reading this anyway).  What I will say is that I'd rather they not do a fourth movie.  I'm sure greed will get Sony to do one, even if everyone else walks away, but there's a reason I don't really follow Spidey comics.  His character is defined largely by the fact that he's always going through a lot of shit.  People can identify with that.  The problem is, you can only really take watching so much of it.  Another movie with Peter and MJ working through their relationship problems would just be too much.  Beyond that, the only story I can think of that I'd like to see more or less adapted would be Kraven's Last Hunt, and that might be a little to dark for viewers going to see a Spider-man movie as he spends half the story buried alive.

Regardless of where they go with the series though, they have a solid trilogy right now.  Fans of the first two movies will likely enjoy this one.  People hoping for this one to crash and burn like Batman and Robin, will be disappointed I suppose.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #68 on: May 03, 2007, 04:09:12 AM

MJ was ALWAYS a self-centered flighty bitch, IMO.  I'd say the movies have been pretty spot-on there.. but then the majority of my exposure to Spidey was the daily comic, rather than the books.

Yes, though, they should write KD out of the series.  On the interview circuit for Spiderman2 she'd pretty much indicated she didn't want to be involved more than 3 movies, and also had some horribly daffy ideas about where the series should go that just shouldn't even have been vocalized.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #69 on: May 03, 2007, 04:35:00 AM

MJ was ALWAYS a self-centered flighty bitch, IMO.  I'd say the movies have been pretty spot-on there.. but then the majority of my exposure to Spidey was the daily comic, rather than the books.

Yes, though, they should write KD out of the series.  On the interview circuit for Spiderman2 she'd pretty much indicated she didn't want to be involved more than 3 movies, and also had some horribly daffy ideas about where the series should go that just shouldn't even have been vocalized.
The whole Mary Jane Watson thing was fucked from the start since it should've been Gwen Stacy as his first love interest and not Mary jane. And the casting of Kirsten Dunst as MJ was just a horrible horrible mistake.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: Spider-man 3 (now including reviews so beware of possible spoilers)  
Jump to: