Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 01:40:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: ASCN vs BOB 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: ASCN vs BOB  (Read 24845 times)
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: October 16, 2006, 06:54:45 AM

Does it still take 1 person to fly titan or is it a team ship?

Well its a 'team' (or should I say 'alt') ship as much as any other capital ship (Carrier, Dread, Mothership) in that you need someone in the system you want to jump into to create a cyno field for you - but its flown just like any other ship (albeit probably much much slower  :-D)
Roac
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: October 16, 2006, 07:11:37 AM

The ship itself can be flown by just one person, but it has a few significant drawbacks.  One, you can't dock at a station so either you leave it floating in space, in a POS, or you have one char who always flies the ship (this is the only way to take the ship out of the game while you're offline).  Second, the Titan can't use jumpgates so you always have to have someone else (or alt) open up cyno fields to jump between systems.  You can, in theory, jump to any cyno that other people open but you never know what you will land on when you get there and they are fairly rare, so it's best to avoid.

Realistically, because the thing is so obscenely valuable you'll never want to take it out without fleet support.  Even then, you could afford to rebuild the entire fleet cheaper than you could replace a Titan so it's not the sort of ship you just go ratting in.  Not to mention you can't insure a Titan, so a loss is a total loss.

-Roac
King of Ravens

"Young people who pretend to be wise to the ways of the world are mostly just cynics. Cynicism masquerades as wisdom, but it is the farthest thing from it. Because cynics don't learn anything. Because cynicism is a self-imposed blindness, a rejection of the world because we are afraid it will hurt us or disappoint us." -SC
sinij
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: October 16, 2006, 01:48:34 PM

So why is it a good idea to fly Titan... ever?

Eternity is a very long time, especially towards the end.
gimpyone
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: October 16, 2006, 03:16:24 PM

epeen.
Vedi
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: October 16, 2006, 03:39:46 PM

There's a new update on Eve Tribune on this war now. It seems ASCN has lost 263 battleships and some dreads, while BoB has lost 33 battleships and no dreads. Those are some quite horrible stats!
Roac
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: October 16, 2006, 07:12:09 PM

So why is it a good idea to fly Titan... ever?

You get a ton of slots: 21 total, in a 8/8/5 or 8/7/6 layout.  You can fit several warfare links which assist your gang's strength.  You get a huge weapon, which can outright kill everything smaller than a BS and leave them crippled.  It has somewhere around 60k shield and armor each (BS has 5k-6k each).  It's also immune to electronic warfare.

All told, it's not worth the cost; if you could field a dozen battleships you could replace one for sheer power, and the massive expense means that in most cases people will only field them in order to use the doomsday weapon and then leave.  If fielded, it could significantly affect the outcome of a fight; but because it takes months of effort by the largest alliances to construct, that's unlikely, leaving big weapon and epeen.

-Roac
King of Ravens

"Young people who pretend to be wise to the ways of the world are mostly just cynics. Cynicism masquerades as wisdom, but it is the farthest thing from it. Because cynics don't learn anything. Because cynicism is a self-imposed blindness, a rejection of the world because we are afraid it will hurt us or disappoint us." -SC
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #41 on: October 17, 2006, 01:06:52 AM

It's mostly about the e-peen.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #42 on: October 17, 2006, 06:22:12 AM

Titans, they can equip clone vats and hangar bays and whatnot?

Not only is the titan mostly for e-peen, it's pretty much the reason BoB is attacking ASCN.  BoB likes swinging the biggest dick in the galaxy.  Now I suppose we get to see if a combat dick can defeat an industrial dick.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
TripleDES
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: October 17, 2006, 06:46:13 AM

There's a new update on Eve Tribune on this war now. It seems ASCN has lost 263 battleships and some dreads, while BoB has lost 33 battleships and no dreads. Those are some quite horrible stats!
I call bullshit on that, alone for the reason that BoB has never been honest about their losses.

EVE (inactive): Deakin Frost -- APB (fukken dead): Kayleigh (on Patriot).
Vedi
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: October 17, 2006, 08:12:28 AM

I think the BoB losses are from the ASCN killboards and vice versa.
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: October 17, 2006, 10:59:42 AM

Now I suppose we get to see if a combat dick can defeat an industrial dick.

Didn't we see that already with the Taggart Transdimensional thingy years ago?

I think the answer is "yes" simply because the combat guys are getting the gameplay they want, so they'll keep at it, whereas the industrialists are being denied the gameplay they want.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #46 on: October 17, 2006, 04:19:21 PM

Economic powerhouses should never fight a gun war.

Of course, the problem is EvE disallows Economic PKing in favor of Combat PKing.  ASCN is doomed to die.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: October 18, 2006, 12:37:47 AM

As an outside observer this thread is pretty fascinating with all the acronyms and such. So an entire super-guild spent months building a single ship?

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #48 on: October 18, 2006, 01:39:29 AM

As an outside observer this thread is pretty fascinating with all the acronyms and such. So an entire super-guild spent months building a single ship?

More or less, yes. Not exclusively, but it does represent a significant portion of their overall economic output.
Roac
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: October 18, 2006, 06:14:42 AM

So an entire super-guild spent months building a single ship?

Think of it this way.  Estimates put the cost of the Titan at around 160 Billion Isk.  Mid level players make somewhere around 5-10m/hr.  All the while, the alliance (super-guild) is involved in wars which costantly drain resources of the alliance and guild members, so not all of that is going toward the Titan.  Plus, not everyone is quick to empty their pockets into the alliance coffers so not many are going to be fronting 100% regardless, although some do or get close to it.  The amount of effort required is staggering, and apparently they materially affected the game economy (with over 100k active players) due to their efforts.

-Roac
King of Ravens

Vedi
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: October 18, 2006, 06:17:44 AM

And as a "reward" they are attacked by the top Pvp superguild, deployed their supership and apparently killed more of their own than the enemy.

I imagine the Death Star in the hands of Jar-Jar Binks and crewed by Ewoks.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #51 on: October 18, 2006, 09:59:06 AM

Maybe you want a short rundown of the acronyms?  Just scanning back...

IGB is the In-Game Browser which is a mostly-useless piece of junk unless your computer is so gimped that you can't alt-tab or run EVE in a window.

ASCN is the tag for Ascendant Frontier, apparently the largest alliance by number of pilots.  Others can be seen here and should be easy to figure out: BoB is Band of Brothers, FIX is Firmus Ixion, RA is  Red Alliance (yes, they are Russian).  F13 used to be part of -V- (Veritas Immortalis) for a little bit.

There might be others, just ask if you need a program for the show.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Vedi
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: October 18, 2006, 10:18:25 AM

There is also

BS - battleship, the largest non-capital ship. Most players can afford one of these after some months. The basic types cost around 100 million.
POS - Player Owned Structure, a space structure you can put up around moons. Used to control space and as a field base. Costs around 150-600 million to put up.
Dread - Dreadnought. Capital ship. Costs around 2 billion.

IAC, MC and FIX are other alliances. IAC is under attack by MC and FIX. FIX is almost a vassal of BoB, and MC is a mercenary alliance. BoB is fighting ASCN, and ASCN had some skirmishes with MC, but have now patched it up.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #53 on: October 19, 2006, 02:05:01 PM

More wacky rumors from the Q2T forums:
Quote from: Calistas
This in from the front lines! Nothing much has changed in a week. We still hold TCAG system on the doorstep of BOB space, they are still claiming to be 'teh ubz0r!'.

In other news, our leadership inform us that BOB have told them that this war is their big last gasp before they all bugger off and play Pirates of the Burning Sea (!?).

The first reply summed up my thoughts: "Trap!"

TripleDES
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: October 20, 2006, 04:30:58 PM

FIX is almost a vassal of BoB, and MC is a mercenary alliance.
You forgot to mention that MC is a suck-up alliance for BoB.

EVE (inactive): Deakin Frost -- APB (fukken dead): Kayleigh (on Patriot).
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: October 20, 2006, 08:58:00 PM

News from the IAC front is they have beaten back the McFIX attack with some losses, but the assault seems to have been a complete failure. No IAC systems have fallen and the McFIX attack has petered out. It hasn't stopped, but it from IAC's point of view, it was a failure.

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: October 23, 2006, 07:37:59 AM

Further update: McFix is apperntly claiming the misson was a sucess as they tied up IAC. Tied up IAC from WHAT isn't clear, though my guess is was so IAC couldn't go help ACSN (not they they probably would).

All I think it accpolished is IAC got some good practice at PvP fleet and POS warfare and is now more able to go on the offesive.

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #57 on: October 23, 2006, 04:08:49 PM

Since I don't know if the MC is telling the truth for the motivation of the client (some billionaire with lots of money who wanted to stir up trouble), I don't know if the overall mission was a success or not.  But FIX got everything we wanted out of it, so we consider it a success.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Vedi
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: October 23, 2006, 04:19:09 PM

What did you want to get out of it, then?
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: October 23, 2006, 07:01:54 PM

To simplify: Live fire combat excercises and an IOU from MC.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: October 24, 2006, 04:53:50 AM

On a possibly related note, MC lost two of their member corps fairly recently.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: October 25, 2006, 03:18:28 PM

Speaking of BoB vassal corps...oh dear.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Raging Turtle
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: October 25, 2006, 03:38:48 PM

Speaking of BoB vassal corps...oh dear.

That just made my day.  Thank you. 
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: October 25, 2006, 07:20:56 PM

On a possibly related note, MC lost two of their member corps fairly recently.

MC Member corps often disband from the alliance to carry out solo contracts, then rejoin upon completion. It has something to do with the mechanics of +/- standings or something.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: October 26, 2006, 01:51:14 AM

Any chance of some context for the politically naive here?  Does this seriously impact the ability of Xelas to support BoB to an extent where the effect on BoB's war effort is noticeable?  Would a coherent strategy of targeting smaller, vulnerable corps be likely to peel them away from BoB's alliance?

What I mean is: is this an Ardennes, 1944-5, Battle of the Bulge thing where local superiority and tactical surprise can be temporarily achieved, but where on a strategic level BoB can, ultimately, always win any large-scale (ie fleet) action ASCN engaged in?  Or is it a Napoleonic wars thing, where ASCN's (as I understand it) economic power can allow them to draw off support from BoB?

My blog: http://endie.net

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: October 26, 2006, 04:15:52 AM

At the moment, it's too early to say really, but if ASCN et al. can keep this second front open (or even open up a third front as well), and if they can hang on to their own territory, and if the rest of the south keeps going up in flames (LV/-V- booting KOS and then wardeccing them, AAA vs AXE, RA/Goons (and KOS?) vs everyone else)...BoB may just find the situation untenable in the longer term.

Especially if other corps (*cough*D2*cough*) think that they've got a chance to start nibbling at BoB's borders. Hell, I'd imagine the only reason that the Goons aren't taking potshots at BoB right now is that they're working with RA atm and they have to keep RA sweet so that they get first pick of the new regions opening up with Kali.

Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: October 26, 2006, 04:43:41 AM

[totally glib and unconfirmed comment warning]

D2 seem to be occupying themselves by camping in and around ISS station atm
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: October 26, 2006, 09:04:38 AM

Does any of it have any effect on F13?  Where are you based?  Nowehere near the fightiness?  Last thing I remember was you getting charged, like a million-billion ISK per month per member by your alliance (which put po' me off in my poverty).

My blog: http://endie.net

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #68 on: October 26, 2006, 09:06:08 AM

F13 is currently un-aligned and just surfing around low-sec.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #69 on: October 26, 2006, 10:38:04 AM

Does any of it have any effect on F13?  Where are you based?  Nowehere near the fightiness?  Last thing I remember was you getting charged, like a million-billion ISK per month per member by your alliance (which put po' me off in my poverty).

We told them to screw off when they came up with the 500m isk bill. Most folks are off in some lowsec area, a few others are missioning, and I'm quietly working on skills and plinking omber rocks in my Fortress of Solitude.

So, really, it doesn't affect F13 much at all, except indirectly through market forces. Wars mean demand for our stuff. :)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: ASCN vs BOB  
Jump to: