Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:33:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless Conversation 0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 1141 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Useless Conversation  (Read 3400286 times)
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #70 on: October 09, 2006, 08:01:00 PM

Guys with attitudes like that should always be ready for random nut shots on the street.

Just saying.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #71 on: October 09, 2006, 11:00:51 PM

Allergies.  Bermuda hay and what is probably goldenrod.  Wife calls it ragweed.  The Alavert, it does nothing.  For some reason, driving into Atlanta every day to inhale the crud isn't magically curing me either.  Suggestions?

Don't suggest magnets or Scientology.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #72 on: October 10, 2006, 12:00:25 AM

I'm drawing a blank on the name for it, but everyone I know who has used it says it works great. All I recall is that there's a clear triangle on the box, like a prism, breaking up pure light into colors. I'll try to remember the name.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: October 10, 2006, 03:16:15 AM

Dark Side of The Moon.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #74 on: October 10, 2006, 06:37:38 AM

Pink Floyd cleared up my allergies to music my parents used to listen to.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #75 on: October 10, 2006, 07:09:31 AM

Could be Claritin! Or Floyd. Depends on what you're willing to stick up your nose.
voodoolily
Contributor

Finnuh, munnuh, muhfuh, I enjoy creating new written vernacular, s'all.

Reply #76 on: October 10, 2006, 09:23:59 AM

Dark Side of The Moon.

Damn you on the other side of the Atlantic! That's what I was gonna say.

Since I've been married I only have like 2 BMs a day instead of 4 or 5. I think I stopped caring about how much fiber I get in my diet or something.

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
The Legend of Zephyr - a different blog.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #77 on: October 10, 2006, 09:25:49 AM

Pink Floyd sucks.

[edit] Oh wait. Did I break the rules?  embarassed
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #78 on: October 10, 2006, 10:27:42 AM

Allergies.  Bermuda hay and what is probably goldenrod.  Wife calls it ragweed.  The Alavert, it does nothing.  For some reason, driving into Atlanta every day to inhale the crud isn't magically curing me either.  Suggestions?

Don't suggest magnets or Scientology.

I use claritin daily and get a series of three shots every Monday.  Doctor wants me to be on Nasonex with Astelin for really bad days.  I've dropped the last two since being a walking zombie is worse than sneezing, although some days I really need to dope up just to be functional.

-Rasix
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #79 on: October 10, 2006, 12:22:15 PM

I use claritin daily and get a series of three shots every Monday.

Oh, shit.  I'll keep my sniffles and normal painkillers.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #80 on: October 10, 2006, 02:37:10 PM

I found that just toughing it out without any meds eventually just makes the allergies disappear...I might get sneezy once in awhile, but that's it.

Though I did develop an allergy to shrimp/crab/lobster, so that might be some kind of side effect, who knows.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
WayAbvPar

Reply #81 on: October 10, 2006, 02:43:01 PM

Though I did develop an allergy to shrimp/crab/lobster

Dear Sweet baby FSM! How do you go on living? I would have to seriously consider killing myself if I couldn't eat shellfish.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Rasix

Reply #82 on: October 10, 2006, 02:50:28 PM

I found that just toughing it out without any meds eventually just makes the allergies disappear...I might get sneezy once in awhile, but that's it.

You may have allergies, but I have ALLERGIES. No meds leaves me with several days every month I'm completely useless due to my body just succumbing to fatigue and recurring sinus infections making my head feel like it's going to implode.  Normal days are sneezing constantly, going through a boxes of tissues blowing my nose (which leeds to eventual chronic nosebleeds once it gets dry), and constant watery eyes that itch like someone rubbed them in poison oak.

Yah, I like drugs.  I toughed it out for the first 16 years of my life (plus a couple in college).  No thanks, I'd rather function. 

Aside: due to meds + constant contact + shots, my cat allergy is relatively minor.  Cats used to be pure torture.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2006, 02:52:20 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Strazos

Reply #83 on: October 10, 2006, 02:56:57 PM

I use to have nasty allergies as well, also to cats. I remember in Kindergarten I was kept indoors a few times because of it. They were horrible when I was younger. They went away.

My cat allergies can get pretty rough sometimes as well.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
Rasix

Reply #84 on: October 10, 2006, 03:03:11 PM

Some people get over allergies, some don't.  Some people who would have actually died if they ate a peanut in youth can now snack on them.  Some will still die.

Sorry if I'm coming off as a bit touchy. I just get pissed when people, especially holistic hippy douches, say "just tough it out, it'll go away". (Not calling you a hippy douche) If I would been able to, I would have by now.  The shots are at least supposed to get you to the point where you can just be on a simple medication (like claritin) and that's it. And hopefully not have bad allergic breakouts where you spend all day having what feels like the flu.

And shots suck.  I am afraid of needles.  Three needles plunging into my arm every week is not fun.

-Rasix
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #85 on: October 10, 2006, 03:57:52 PM

I found that just toughing it out without any meds eventually just makes the allergies disappear...

If you're allergic to bees and you decide to try to build up a resistance to it by getting stung repeatedly, odds are very good that you'll die long before the allergies do.  In fact, repeated exposure will sometimes make allergies get even worse.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #86 on: October 10, 2006, 04:13:30 PM

Seafood.  Meh.  I can beat that.  I'm allergic to chocolate.   cry  It's a contact allergy and if I eat chocolate, raw coconut or Brazil nuts, the inside of my mouth and throat itch horribly for about 15 minutes or so.  It's a very, very extreme itch, too.  In fact, in England, Righ once got chocolate so dark that the inside of my nose started to itch when he simply opened the package.  The higher the cocoa content, the worse the reaction I have. 

As for Rasix... my father had allergies that would flatten him, too, when I was very young.  We actually had to move across the country for his health.  It got to the point that he could only breath in the winter, mostly.  Strangely, when he was in his mid 40s, he moved back and they had all but disappeared.  The human nose is a strange creature.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #87 on: October 10, 2006, 05:16:32 PM

You might want to (carefully) try Benadryl. These new-fangled non-drowsy allergy medications aren't nearly as effective as the old-school stuff. Unfortunately they do have a tendency to make you sleepy so you have to be careful when you take it.

Edit: You may also want to try Allegra, Clarinex and Zyrtec which have different active ingredients than Alavert (Claritin uses the same one as Alavert). People respond differently to the different ingredients.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2006, 08:55:05 PM by Trippy »
edlavallee
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: October 10, 2006, 05:57:39 PM

Seafood is my chocolate. I had some great sea bass when I was last in RI and my mouth is still watering to think of it.

Zipper Zee - space noob
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #89 on: October 10, 2006, 08:35:47 PM

We almost moved to Maryland.  The only thing I was looking forward to was the great seafood.  My favourite thing to throw on the grill in the summer... salmon steaks.  Mmmm....

You're right, actually.  I think I prefer being allergic to chocolate than to seafood. 

Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #90 on: October 11, 2006, 09:11:19 AM

I wish I was allergic to seafood.  Then I would have a better excuse not to eat it than it being fucking disgusting.

Maybe I'll just start lying.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #91 on: October 11, 2006, 09:26:46 AM

Righ doesn't like shellfish.  If we go somewhere and they have shellfish, he simply says, "I don't like shellfish."   You just need to be more Scottish about it. 

Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #92 on: October 11, 2006, 10:04:09 AM

Oh I've tried the "I don't like seafood." thing.

Then people go, "Really? Why not."

"Because it's disgusting."

"What about crab?"

"Yes, that's from the sea."

"Even lobster?"

"Yes, that's from the sea as well."

"But here, try this.  It doesn't even taste like seafood.  It only has a little squid in it."

"I'm reasonably certain that a little squid is still squid."

"Well, I can understand not liking some seafood.  I really only like stuff that doesn't taste too fishy."

"Well I'm pretty sure you don't like fish then, because I'm almost positive that fish is supposed to taste like fish."

I stole the last line from Jim Gaffigan, but almost no one knows who he is so I always come off looking clever.

But it's a whole thing and I always have to defend my position.  If I just said, "I'm allergic." people would say, "Oh." and that would be it.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #93 on: October 11, 2006, 11:25:52 AM

That's the same crap I go through every time I say I don't want to eat something I just don't like. Not a big fan of seafood either. I don't get why it's everyones personal conquest to make you try everything they like, even after telling them you don't like it and have tried it before.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #94 on: October 11, 2006, 11:50:31 AM

This only works prior to your thirtieth birthday.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #95 on: October 11, 2006, 11:59:12 AM

I use claritin daily and get a series of three shots every Monday.

Oh, shit.  I'll keep my sniffles and normal painkillers.

I've been using Nasonex at night and it seems to do a decent job.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #96 on: October 11, 2006, 12:32:04 PM

"Well, I can understand not liking some seafood.  I really only like stuff that doesn't taste too fishy."

"Well I'm pretty sure you don't like fish then, because I'm almost positive that fish is supposed to taste like fish."

The 'fishy' smell/taste that's common to all fish is generally a symptom of spoilage.  I used to be very firmly anti-seafood, but it was because the only fish I was ever served at home growing up came from the local supermarket and had been sitting around at for a day before it was cooked.  Sushi from a good sushi bar, however, does not taste at all 'fishy' to me, at least not in the unpleasant way that caused my childhood hatred of all things seafood. 

It turns out I'm just freakishly sensitive to how fresh the fish I eat is; fish that's been sitting out for more than about twenty minutes becomes inedible as far as I'm concerned, but most people apparently don't notice the difference.  If I lived in a landlocked area and didn't have access to fresh seafood, I'm certain that I would still be an unyielding fish-hater.  As it is I still only order seafood in particularly trustworthy restaurants.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Strazos

Reply #97 on: October 11, 2006, 12:39:10 PM

This only works prior to your thirtieth birthday.

Awesome. This means I still have another 7 years of neglecting seasonal allergy meds with impunity.

Fear the Backstab!
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #98 on: October 11, 2006, 02:08:17 PM

You have another 7 years of innumerable things.

Eating seafood on the coast is preferable.

Halloween is coming up.  I'm going to be Luigi and my son will be Mario.  Wa-hoo!

Strazos

Reply #99 on: October 11, 2006, 02:09:44 PM

The doorbell in my house sucks, so I cannot hear it upstairs if I am not specifically listening for it.

I am guessing that we won't be giving out much candy at my house this year...hopefully. Halloween has been getting on my nerves since I stopped going out myself.

Fear the Backstab!
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: October 11, 2006, 02:31:20 PM

So speaking of allergies, has anyone ever tried doing an ELIMINATION DIET? I'm very tempted.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #101 on: October 11, 2006, 03:00:16 PM

Not quite so scientific as that, but I have used a similar approach to arrive at the conclusion that Coke Zero gives me stomachaches.  A few months ago my office started switching from stocking Diet Coke in the break room fridge to Coke Zero because some people like it better.

On the days when there was nothing to drink in the office for my morning sugarless caffeinated beverage but Coke Zero I'd get a mysterious stomachache in the afternoon.  On days when I either found something else to drink or abstained from caffeine entirely due to hating the taste of Coke Zero, no stomachache (although abstaining from caffeine gives me headaches, of course). 

After about two weeks of stomachache I decided I had all the evidence I needed to never touch Coke Zero again.  I now keep a mini-fridge in my cubicle that is stocked with a three day supply of Diet Coke in case of emergencies.   tongue

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #102 on: October 11, 2006, 05:09:03 PM

Not quite so scientific as that, but I have used a similar approach to arrive at the conclusion that Coke Zero gives me stomachaches.  A few months ago my office started switching from stocking Diet Coke in the break room fridge to Coke Zero because some people like it better.

On the days when there was nothing to drink in the office for my morning sugarless caffeinated beverage but Coke Zero I'd get a mysterious stomachache in the afternoon.  On days when I either found something else to drink or abstained from caffeine entirely due to hating the taste of Coke Zero, no stomachache (although abstaining from caffeine gives me headaches, of course). 

After about two weeks of stomachache I decided I had all the evidence I needed to never touch Coke Zero again.  I now keep a mini-fridge in my cubicle that is stocked with a three day supply of Diet Coke in case of emergencies.   tongue

It's probably the sweetener they use that does it to you.  I get the same way with anything that has aspartamene in it.  Same thing if I drink more than 3 cola-type beverages in a day.

Anyone else also notice a realy sharp difference in taste when something's made/ baked with aspartamene instead of a typical sweetener? The aftertaste it leaves in your mouth just lingers there for hours, too.  Horrible stuff.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #103 on: October 11, 2006, 05:24:01 PM

So speaking of allergies, has anyone ever tried doing an ELIMINATION DIET? I'm very tempted.
I used something similar but much simpler to figure out I was celiac.  I avoided bread and anything else I could determine had wheat in it for a week, then had a hamberger.  The resulting pain told me it was the bread.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #104 on: October 11, 2006, 05:50:32 PM

It's probably the sweetener they use that does it to you.  I get the same way with anything that has aspartamene in it.  Same thing if I drink more than 3 cola-type beverages in a day.

I agree that it's probably the sweetener; Coke Zero uses some newfangled stuff that tastes more like sugar than Nutrasweet.  Sucralose, I think?  Diet Coke is made with aspartame (Nutrasweet) and doesn't cause me any grief.  I also like the taste better because I was acclimated to it at a young age; regular colas taste way too sweet to me.   tongue

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 1141 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless Conversation  
Jump to: