Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:24:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless Conversation 0 Members and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 1102 1103 [1104] 1105 1106 ... 1141 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Useless Conversation  (Read 3400757 times)
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #38605 on: May 22, 2019, 08:51:39 AM

Does Huawei make phones under other brands? Because until this recent mess I had literally never heard of them, nor do I know anyone who owns a Huawei-branded phone.

They don’t really sell them in the US.

Intersting. But US seems to be iPhone country anyway, or?

There are more android phones than iPhones, but the Korean manufacturers (Samsung, LG) are dominant. Xiaomi and Huawei really don’t have a presence. I see a lot of them only because we have a lot of Chinese students who bring their phones from China with them.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #38606 on: May 22, 2019, 09:00:21 AM

Does Huawei make phones under other brands? Because until this recent mess I had literally never heard of them, nor do I know anyone who owns a Huawei-branded phone.

They are very popular in European and Asian markets. They were going to enter the US market for the first time earlier this year, but then the US govt pressured AT&T into dropping the deal. So, if your only experience of mobile phones is the US domestic market, you probably won't have seen many. Outside of the US though, they sell more phones than anyone else except for Samsung.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #38607 on: May 22, 2019, 12:06:16 PM

My impression is US is roughly 50% iPhone, 45% Android (primarily Samsung top tier, LG and Moto as middle tier). The other 5% are carriers such as Cricket and Tracphone, which are pay per minute burner styles.
I'd wager Tracfone has made big inroads since partnering with Walmart. There's red state phone dominance, right there.

Hell, I had a tracfone flip until 2014 (and it's still a better phone than anything I've had since)
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #38608 on: May 22, 2019, 01:07:47 PM

I've never left the US so that explains it. Thanks, guys.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #38609 on: May 22, 2019, 01:13:26 PM

Huawei made one of the Google phone iterations. Not sure which... 6? 5?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #38610 on: May 22, 2019, 02:29:55 PM

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #38611 on: May 22, 2019, 04:09:45 PM

I have a Nexus 6P on my night stand. I use it as an alarm (since all alarm apps on iPhone suck) and to control various home devices. My actual phone today is a iPhone 8 Plus, my first iPhone.

I kinda think Samsung phones are the best, but since I owned them all sequentially, I can't be sure.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #38612 on: May 22, 2019, 08:16:41 PM

Huawei topic
I think one of the big problems here is that "Trump likes it, so it must be bad." Which yeah, is a good bet, but even if Trump comes out in favor of apple pie that doesn't mean I gotta stop eating it.

In a world with really extended lines, Huawei still managed to cross one, and I was under the impression that their security policies and oversights weren't flying too well in Europe either.

The complains about China in general and how big enterprises are link with the state pre-date Trump, so this one of the aears where he does have a point. Having no issue here. (That the way he approaches is it less then ideal is another topic)

Plus, I am the latest one to defend the PRC, but to devil's advocate a bit :

My guess is in large parts of the world this action will cause Google to be seen as an extended arm of thr US government rather than Huawei one of China.
The US doesn’t need Google’s help — the NSA is already sucking up almost all the Internet traffic that passes through the US*.

My point wasn't privacy (there is no escaping the NSA anyway), but countries seen to strong arm others.

From the average persons POV: 2nd largest smartphone brand, likely the phone you use yourself, suddenly being blocked by Google. Even the tabloids here picked it up with "What does this mean by your smartphone?"[/i]. Trump (=the US) is seen as a bully already and this will just make it worse.

Possible concerns telco companies may have with Huawei equipment is an insider topic and resonates far less.

If we go from "averag joe" to newspapers the mood is pessimistic, no pro any side, but more "everyone will lose" (read Standard, FAZ, Süddeutsche, Deutsche Welle)

Blahblah
Yeah, I always got a kick out of people who demand stricter privacy laws, reigning in the tech companies, and fighting the NSA, as they text from their Huawei smart phone.

If you mean me, I had no choice  Grin I dropped my phone some months ago and was (still am) so poor I had to do the devils bargain of "free-phone-for-24months-mobile-contract-extension". Which got me a Huawei 20 Mate Lite.

Before that (2014-2017) I had a Jolla (Finnish ex-Nokia guys starting their own company) with Sailfish OS (Offshot of Nokia Meego). The operating system was what made me really miss it. Gesture-based UI  <--- HeartHeart, glassy look, runs native Sailfish as well as Android apps. Made Android feel really clunky. 2015 Jolla Trailer  Heartbreak Heartbreak

After that an BQ Aquaris X2 (Spanish smartphone producer, generally known for good price/performance, using stock android with no pre-installed bloatware, regular security updates and at least 3 major Android generation updates per phone)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 08:32:41 PM by calapine »

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #38613 on: May 22, 2019, 08:58:08 PM

Also, I am not that hot on closed eco systems anyway, but even disregarding that:

iPhone 8         Mate 20 Lite
                                €575                  €220

In what universe would I pay more than double so I can downgrade to a 4.7" screen. I have to assume iOS is ridiculously well optimized, else 2 GB RAM and the battery capacity (less than half!) sounds like a joke too.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #38614 on: May 22, 2019, 10:12:42 PM

It wasn't meant at you specifically.  When I was in Europe lots of people had those phones.  And again, they would be going off about all the things I mentioned, while sending every single thing they ever do online over to the Chinese government.  It's amusing.

On screen size I actually like iPhones because I can still get the smaller sizes.  I hate huge smart phones.

US market share numbers for phones seem to be all over the place, but as of the end of 2018, it looked something like:

Apple:      47%
Samsung: 22%
LG:          12%
Motorola: 6%
Other:     13%

Other is probably made up of Google with its Pixel Phone (which is gaining in popularity) and whatever that Tracfone thing is that was mentioned up thread.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #38615 on: May 22, 2019, 10:51:25 PM

The point about the closed ecosystem is an important one.  There are benefits to being in the same ecosystem with friends and family, and also if you have more than one iOS device (which is probaby pretty common).  The problem is then, of course, getting out of it again.  I could be pretty tempted to make my next phone a Samsung, but it might be more a pain than it is worth. Right now I have an iPhone X, but I don't find it to be particularly special, other than perhaps the camera.

Another argument going for Apple stuff, and if you have dealt with a lot of small children and older folks and their devices you may recognize this.....they are WAAAAAAY easier to pick up and use.  A toddler can pick one up and figure out how to operate it, and so can old people who are otherwise tech-clueless.  This is generally not true with other phones, in my experience.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #38616 on: May 23, 2019, 06:59:03 AM

Not trying to sound like an evangelist but Apple also has by far the longest support for software updates on older phones. And they push out security updates pretty quickly after they are made aware of vulnerabilities.

I have an iPhone 6 which is still getting updates and it is an almost 4 year old hardware model. They still, if I remember correctly still support the 5 which is even older. Even the best Android phones you are looking at around 2 years of updates if you are lucky.

The TCO is actually very close between an iPhone and an equivalent Android phone if you are not changing phones as often as you change your underwear  DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #38617 on: May 23, 2019, 07:16:18 AM

I like my iphone xs max, but it really doesn’t justify a price point 6x that of the phone Cal listed.

I just can’t quite get used to the android OS, though.

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #38618 on: May 23, 2019, 07:25:19 AM

Yeah, that's my biggest thing at this point.  I'm not wedded to my iPhone and have been looking at alternates lately (especially since everybody raves about the Pixels camera).  But every single time I'm handed any android device, I have such a visceral reaction against how shitty the UI is I don't even want to touch the phone anymore.  Once I'm back in the US I'll start playing with all the options again to see if things have improved, but holy hell why is Apple so far ahead of everybody on the OS front.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #38619 on: May 23, 2019, 07:30:52 AM

Yeah, that's my biggest thing at this point.  I'm not wedded to my iPhone and have been looking at alternates lately (especially since everybody raves about the Pixels camera).  But every single time I'm handed any android device, I have such a visceral reaction against how shitty the UI is I don't even want to touch the phone anymore.  Once I'm back in the US I'll start playing with all the options again to see if things have improved, but holy hell why is Apple so far ahead of everybody on the OS front.

Because they actually care about the user experience?  why so serious?

At least Amazon doesn’t make a smartphone OS. They have to have the worst UI design for pretty much every product. AWS (even in its newest look/feel) is so fucking unintuitive it is almost unnavigable.

Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #38620 on: May 23, 2019, 08:23:44 AM

I appreciate that you can fiddle a lot with Android; it's just not something I want to do with my phone.  I want quick and painless for something I have to do so much with on a small screen.

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #38621 on: May 23, 2019, 08:43:32 AM

I am sure that I am an outlier but my iPhone 8 Plus is almost 1 year old and can go for 3 days without a charge. I'm sure a lot of that comes down to my choices of what to install on it and what background processing I allow. I also purposely let it run down the battery, even though I'm not entirely sure that is a thing to do these days.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #38622 on: May 23, 2019, 08:55:55 AM

I was an Android guy since I first started into the smart phone world. I loved flashing different ROMs and customizing the shit out of every one of those phones. After all that, I started seeing that I only needed certain things and other things were just played around with for a day or two and then deleted. After all that, I boiled everything down to the essentials and there was no difference between android or iOS at that point. Then my wife, my mother, everyone on my side of the family and most of my inlaws were on iOS. Got a free iphone 8 with my wife's 8+ about a year ago and have been perfectly fine with it... even preferred the smaller form factor over my past Note4.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #38623 on: May 23, 2019, 09:46:07 AM

I'll be the voice of dissent and say that I'm a diehard Samsung/Android guy; currently using the Note9. The original Samsung Galaxy was my first smartphone and since that's all I've ever used, I have the same visceral "this UI is so shitty" reaction whenever I have to touch an iOS device. I don't really fuck around with flashing CFWs anymore, but I do install a lot of unsigned apps; on top of that, I put a lot of media on my phone so having a microSD slot is mandatory.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #38624 on: May 23, 2019, 10:02:04 AM

Huawei topic
I think one of the big problems here is that "Trump likes it, so it must be bad." Which yeah, is a good bet, but even if Trump comes out in favor of apple pie that doesn't mean I gotta stop eating it.

In a world with really extended lines, Huawei still managed to cross one, and I was under the impression that their security policies and oversights weren't flying too well in Europe either.

The complains about China in general and how big enterprises are link with the state pre-date Trump, so this one of the aears where he does have a point. Having no issue here. (That the way he approaches is it less then ideal is another topic)

Plus, I am the latest one to defend the PRC, but to devil's advocate a bit :

My guess is in large parts of the world this action will cause Google to be seen as an extended arm of thr US government rather than Huawei one of China.
The US doesn’t need Google’s help — the NSA is already sucking up almost all the Internet traffic that passes through the US*.

My point wasn't privacy (there is no escaping the NSA anyway), but countries seen to strong arm others.

From the average persons POV: 2nd largest smartphone brand, likely the phone you use yourself, suddenly being blocked by Google. Even the tabloids here picked it up with "What does this mean by your smartphone?"[/i]. Trump (=the US) is seen as a bully already and this will just make it worse.

Possible concerns telco companies may have with Huawei equipment is an insider topic and resonates far less.

If we go from "averag joe" to newspapers the mood is pessimistic, no pro any side, but more "everyone will lose" (read Standard, FAZ, Süddeutsche, Deutsche Welle)

Blahblah
Yeah, I always got a kick out of people who demand stricter privacy laws, reigning in the tech companies, and fighting the NSA, as they text from their Huawei smart phone.

If you mean me, I had no choice  Grin I dropped my phone some months ago and was (still am) so poor I had to do the devils bargain of "free-phone-for-24months-mobile-contract-extension". Which got me a Huawei 20 Mate Lite.

Before that (2014-2017) I had a Jolla (Finnish ex-Nokia guys starting their own company) with Sailfish OS (Offshot of Nokia Meego). The operating system was what made me really miss it. Gesture-based UI  <--- HeartHeart, glassy look, runs native Sailfish as well as Android apps. Made Android feel really clunky. 2015 Jolla Trailer  Heartbreak Heartbreak

After that an BQ Aquaris X2 (Spanish smartphone producer, generally known for good price/performance, using stock android with no pre-installed bloatware, regular security updates and at least 3 major Android generation updates per phone)

I hadn't actually been following the Huawei saga at much more than a headline level, so thanks for sending me down that rabbit hole Calapine!

Heart

So in a nutshell another complicated issue that current US "foreign policy" (and I use that term very loosely -- do we even have a foreign policy outside of all caps Twitter posts now? Teleku?) has exacerbated.

Thank the gods that the EU is so tightly nit and can provide a powerful and rational alternative to the US's excesses...

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Anyhoo, I still use my old Samsung S7 for my day to day phone needs. Android for life yo!!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 03:39:14 PM by Mandella »
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #38625 on: May 23, 2019, 10:25:28 AM

My impression is US is roughly 50% iPhone, 45% Android (primarily Samsung top tier, LG and Moto as middle tier). The other 5% are carriers such as Cricket and Tracphone, which are pay per minute burner styles.
It's probably closer to 40% Apple, but not a terrible guess.

Still, Apple sucks. People who own iPhones should not be taken seriously in tech discussions, they obviously make terrible judgements of technology value, or aren't really comfortable using it.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #38626 on: May 23, 2019, 11:53:17 AM

Is your Android interacting with the tinfoil hat there, Dave?  why so serious?

calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #38627 on: May 23, 2019, 12:44:21 PM

Anyone not using their own custom, self-compiled Android ROM is obviously no true tech person and should be hung, shot, quartered & run over Only true nerds will get this Jagged Alliance 2 reference

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #38628 on: May 23, 2019, 03:12:42 PM

I recently had to move back to iPhone's for work purposes. Used a Samsung Note 5 for the last couple years which was fine except for when the back managed to shatter while it had a case on it and was in my pocket (bumped up against a counter not especially hard). Had a couple iPhones prior to that. My overall verdict is that it doesn't really matter to me what I'm using. I make phone calls, text, look up shit on the Internet, check work e-mails, take pictures, and order food. I don't fuck around with Apps or Games much these days. Anything I need my current phone for is the same stuff I could do several phones back, and it's just the forced obsolescence shit all phone manufacturers do that ever gets me to upgrade.

I'm trying to think of what the last big phone innovation was, aside from getting people to willingly give companies their thumbprints and facial recognition to bypass the inconvenience of typing in a code.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #38629 on: May 23, 2019, 03:22:47 PM

Trump is doing a good job of undermining any case against Huawei.  Ohhhhh, I see.

IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #38630 on: May 23, 2019, 08:06:28 PM

I recently had to move back to iPhone's for work purposes. Used a Samsung Note 5 for the last couple years which was fine except for when the back managed to shatter while it had a case on it and was in my pocket (bumped up against a counter not especially hard). Had a couple iPhones prior to that. My overall verdict is that it doesn't really matter to me what I'm using. I make phone calls, text, look up shit on the Internet, check work e-mails, take pictures, and order food. I don't fuck around with Apps or Games much these days. Anything I need my current phone for is the same stuff I could do several phones back, and it's just the forced obsolescence shit all phone manufacturers do that ever gets me to upgrade.

I'm trying to think of what the last big phone innovation was, aside from getting people to willingly give companies their thumbprints and facial recognition to bypass the inconvenience of typing in a code.
Phone marketing these days is all about the camera. They barely even talk about screen resolutions or processing speed any more. They haven't even mentioned sound quality for years.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #38631 on: May 23, 2019, 10:53:10 PM

...and as someone who cares about sound quality, it appears to have universally gone in the shitter over the last many years. 

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #38632 on: May 24, 2019, 12:28:16 AM

What happens when you let a class of 4th Graders write their own school play?

Sadly the performance didn't quite meet the aspirations of the title.  Honestly, how could it?  They can't even drive.

But they do get A's for effort.  Especially since my son said he actually hurt himself overacting the last fall on the "banana peels."  Damn method actors  Ohhhhh, I see.

calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #38633 on: May 24, 2019, 06:58:13 AM

Trump is doing a good job of undermining any case against Huawei.  Ohhhhh, I see.

I told you so... This is how this is reported:

Trump confesses: The real reason Huawei is on the hitlist

calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #38634 on: May 24, 2019, 06:59:02 AM

What happens when you let a class of 4th Graders write their own school play?

Sadly the performance didn't quite meet the aspirations of the title.  Honestly, how could it?  They can't even drive.

But they do get A's for effort.  Especially since my son said he actually hurt himself overacting the last fall on the "banana peels."  Damn method actors  Ohhhhh, I see.

Better start saving. Someone is going to major in modern art Grin

Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #38635 on: May 24, 2019, 07:41:54 AM

Better start saving. Someone is going to major in modern art Grin

And my daughter wants to be a surgeon.  I’ll be paying college tuition for the next 1,000 years  ACK!
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 09:55:57 AM by Polysorbate80 »

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #38636 on: May 26, 2019, 11:11:47 AM

Might want to accelerate the timing on "Mission: Drink Yourself to Death."

Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #38637 on: May 26, 2019, 01:42:28 PM

Haven’t actually had a drink since last Monday.  Calapine convinced me to ease off on the drinking, and when I did I got a case of the shakes.

That’s a bad sign of alcohol habituation/withdrawal.  It’s definitely a good idea to dry out for a while.  ACK!

Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #38638 on: May 26, 2019, 02:30:55 PM

Haven’t actually had a drink since last Monday.  Calapine convinced me to ease off on the drinking, and when I did I got a case of the shakes.

That’s a bad sign of alcohol habituation/withdrawal.  It’s definitely a good idea to dry out for a while.  ACK!
It's a bitch to do, and if you need help seek it. Lots of people have had to go through this, and it's not exactly known for being super easy.
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #38639 on: May 26, 2019, 02:48:47 PM

Thanks Morat,

I haven’t hit the point where I can’t stop drinking, fortunately.  I want to drink, but don’t have to.

But my brain is definately compensating for the booze, and that means I need to stay off for a bit and then at least keep it to a more moderate level if I don’t want to wind up with full-on delerium tremens (which can be fatal)

Pages: 1 ... 1102 1103 [1104] 1105 1106 ... 1141 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless Conversation  
Jump to: