Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:03:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless Conversation 0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 1103 1104 [1105] 1106 1107 ... 1141 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Useless Conversation  (Read 3429404 times)
justdave
Terracotta Army

Reply #38640 on: May 26, 2019, 09:58:31 PM

Tsk. This explains those KOA stools!

"They started to resist with a crust that was welded with human brain and willpower."
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #38641 on: May 27, 2019, 05:44:16 AM

An open letter to my fellow human beings

Dear fellow human beings,

Climbing Mt. Everest is pretty stupid.  There's a good chance you are going to die.  And if you are both dead and white, I have to see your stupid ass face plastered all over the news for a few days.  But here's the thing:  I don't really care.  Your dumb, probably rich ass deserved what it got.  There's no fucking air up there, and long lines of other stupid rich people all waiting to see who will reach the summit first and/or die trying.  Nobody's really impressed, millions have already done it before you.  What, you died of exhaustion due to oxygen deprivation?  NO WAY.  You say a storm came along suddenly and froze your ass solid like a flesh popsicle?  UNPOSSIBLE!

By all means, keep doing what you're doing, dead rich white guy.  Gives those Sherpa dudes a pretty decent occupation, I suppose, assuming you don't take them down with you.  Now those guys are impressive, but being poor and dark-skinned, likely lacking social media accounts as well, we rarely hear anything about them.

Sincerely,

Fuck you

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #38642 on: May 27, 2019, 10:27:32 AM

Bravissimo.

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #38643 on: May 27, 2019, 01:13:30 PM

millions have already done it before you. 

Well that's an exaggeration. :) Totally agree though.

We just got back from the coast, celebrating our 20th anniversary. We stayed in Manzanita this time, as Engels recommended. Gorgeous place, not too busy yet with folks. Unfortunately, an enormous owl flew out of the forest and right into my windshield on the way back. It flew back off into the other side of the forest, but I can't imagine it will survive. Nothing I could have done to change the outcome, but still a bit of a bummer to the end of the trip.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #38644 on: May 27, 2019, 01:16:08 PM

Haven’t actually had a drink since last Monday.  Calapine convinced me to ease off on the drinking, and when I did I got a case of the shakes.

That’s a bad sign of alcohol habituation/withdrawal.  It’s definitely a good idea to dry out for a while.  ACK!

I quit for 9 years because I wasn't an alcoholic yet but I saw the road and where it was leading. When I finally got my shit together and got married, I started to feel comfortable drinking again.

It's doable, and it's not the worst thing in the world. You'll find that most of the time if you don't have a serious problem that after about 3 weeks you stop caring unless somebody is drinking in front of you. You'll also find that your body tends to compensate for the lack of alcohol by absolutely craving the shit out of sugar. Seriously. That was the weirdest thing I noticed is that my sugar craving went through the roof when I quit.

That being said, if you do find yourself in that situation where you can't stop, there's no shame in seeking help at all. I certainly thought about it early on, but I think you'll realize after a month of not drinking if you're in that zone.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #38645 on: May 27, 2019, 04:22:49 PM

Craving for sugar isn't strange - alcohol is basically the fermented sugars of various ingredients.

Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #38646 on: May 27, 2019, 04:34:57 PM

I've had no sugar cravings, actually.  But I've been strictly controlling my sugar intake for the last couple years as it is, to help keep my weight under control.  Things tend to taste too sweet now.

It took about two days for the shakes to stop, and I felt generally kinda shitty for a couple more, but I'm pretty good at the moment.

The current plan is to keep dry until I'm back from China in mid-June and then play it by ear.

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #38647 on: May 28, 2019, 03:48:11 AM

My relationship with alcohol is a strange one.  Many years in the past, I was certainly someone who could be considered on the edge, if not outright addicted.  I could recognize I had something looking like a problem whenever a day would come where I couldn't simply have a beer or two (or six), and boy was that a bummer.  Not the shakes or anything, but clear cravings.  Bit of a slap in the face, and ultimately made me understand that I have a weakness in this particular area, which I then addressed.

Lately, I drink super casually.  I like having a drink or two in the evenings, rarely getting outright drunk.  But frequent enough that - if I go a day or two without it - I miss it.  That alone brings back those old warning signs.  As such, I force myself to skip a day or several days.  I limit it so that I don't go overboard.  I stop very early in the evening.  Etcetera.  I don't know if I have a problem, I just know that I like it in moderation.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #38648 on: May 28, 2019, 03:55:53 AM

Oh, and to continue my rant on annoying headlines.

Two "suspected tornados" hit Ohio.  Because that distinction fucking matters?  In Ohio, it got really windy.  Caused some distruction.  Knocked over some outhouses.  Killed a few people, maybe displaced some cows and stuff.  But let's just all cross our fingers that they aren't actual tornados, because then we have a real problem.  We would become retroactively more frightened.

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #38649 on: May 28, 2019, 04:23:40 AM

It is only serious if they start naming shit. Tornado Billy is not to be fucked with.  why so serious?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #38650 on: May 28, 2019, 04:29:02 AM

Suspected means that they have not confirmed it yet. They go back and look at radar tapes and damage on the ground a day or two afterwards and confirm if it was one. This is especially true if it happens in the middle of the night.

A small tornado went through a neighborhood about a mile and a half from my house a couple days ago but it was not confirmed as one until yesterday.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #38651 on: May 28, 2019, 08:26:44 AM

Back to fukin Everest for a minute, I've pissed off some "global adventurer" folks I know from time to time by insisting we refer to it as "hiking" Everest, not climbing. It's an incredibly dangerous and steep hike to be sure, but it's a hike nonetheless. Anything you can take absolute amateurs on, give them a few weeks of "acclimation" and set them off is not a mountain climb.

That said, if you get into hiking it must be an incredible view and experience. Just not for me, and I agree that the death of one of these adventurers should not be international news any more than somebody killed while bungee jumping or rafting.

On the drinkin' topic, apparently I dodged some genetic bullet there. If I drink to the point of really feeling it, I'm actually repelled by the smell of alcohol for weeks. And since I've put in a home bar I think I drink less anyway -- maybe a after dinner mixed beverage no more than twice a week, and if we miss that no big deal.
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #38652 on: May 28, 2019, 08:51:20 AM

I think the very fact that the housekeeper felt it necessary to organize my flasks pretty much puts me at Tyrion Lannister levels of boozing.

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #38653 on: May 28, 2019, 09:02:24 AM

I do like that they put them right next to your knives and lighter...

awesome, for real
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #38654 on: May 28, 2019, 09:06:09 AM

Because booze mixes well with fire and sharp implements, amirite?

It's actually not my lighter, one of my friends must have left it.  I don't smoke (asthma) but I think she just assumed it must have been mine...  why so serious?

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #38655 on: May 28, 2019, 09:34:31 AM

It's actually not my lighter, one of my friends must have left it.  I don't smoke (asthma) but I think she just assumed it must have been mine...  why so serious?

Dude, this is place of judgement.  If you want to light things of fire, you light things on fire, man.

Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #38656 on: May 28, 2019, 09:40:53 AM

I light stuff on fire, sure.

I think her thought process was just along the lines of “Well, clearly this is the irresponsible adult portion of the home.  Must belong here.”

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #38657 on: May 28, 2019, 09:57:45 AM

I think the very fact that the housekeeper felt it necessary to organize my flasks pretty much puts me at Tyrion Lannister levels of boozing.

Heh, I have a similar-looking array of flasks on my desk right now, except I have five of them.   DRILLING AND MANLINESS  I filled them all with different whiskeys in order to turn myself into a portable whiskey tasting at a recent party, and I've spent the last month slowly emptying the remainders out before I forget what they all are.

If I remember when I get home I'll take a picture of my liquor collection, which should pretty much make anyone feel better about their own drinking hobby problem.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #38658 on: May 28, 2019, 10:02:13 AM

I light stuff on fire, sure.

I think her thought process was just along the lines of “Well, clearly this is the irresponsible adult portion of the home.  Must belong here.”

Lol, I meant ISN’T a place of judgement.  Meaning changed slightly I guess, but I will let it stand.

Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #38659 on: May 28, 2019, 10:30:35 AM

I've spent the last month slowly emptying the remainders out before I forget what they all are.

Pretty sure none of mine would have had anything left to empty after such an event  Ohhhhh, I see.

rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #38660 on: May 28, 2019, 12:11:49 PM

Storing things in flasks is bad for the taste, the solder leaks tinny taste into the booze. 3 days, then empty it, rinse and let dry.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #38661 on: May 28, 2019, 10:17:50 PM

That said, if you get into hiking it must be an incredible view and experience. Just not for me, and I agree that the death of one of these adventurers should not be international news any more than somebody killed while bungee jumping or rafting.

Incredible view if you have clear weather, no line of people, and don't have altitude sickness, maybe. So, never.

It's the bucket list and experience. There are much better things to do for a good view.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #38662 on: May 28, 2019, 10:47:45 PM

Yeah, I kinda doubt many people are actually "enjoying the view" while they are standing up there in that moment.  Most of their energy is probably aimed towards, you know, not falling over dead.

And hold on to your seats, because now headlines are reporting that an American has also died.  Now it's serious.  According to friends/family, he was on his way down after having just accomplished the vaunted 7 peaks hat trick.  Also, they said he "died doing what he loves".  What, gasping for oxygen while freezing to death?  We can accomplish that same feat with some Saran Wrap and a meat locker.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #38663 on: May 29, 2019, 07:23:51 AM

I'm happy any time someone who is not a Sherpa dies on Everest.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #38664 on: May 29, 2019, 08:05:43 AM

When the line to the top of Everest begins to look like the line to ride the Matterhorn at Disney World, I'm thinking the "personal accomplishment of climbing Everest" part just makes you look like a dumb fucking tourist instead of a world-class daredevil and explorer on a journey of self-discovery. Surely you can spend that $11k on something useful like ensuring the elephants in Africa are killed of or something?

RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #38665 on: May 29, 2019, 08:12:07 AM

Yeah, I kinda doubt many people are actually "enjoying the view" while they are standing up there in that moment.  Most of their energy is probably aimed towards, you know, not falling over dead.

And hold on to your seats, because now headlines are reporting that an American has also died.  Now it's serious.  According to friends/family, he was on his way down after having just accomplished the vaunted 7 peaks hat trick.  Also, they said he "died doing what he loves".  What, gasping for oxygen while freezing to death?  We can accomplish that same feat with some Saran Wrap and a meat locker.

Not to mention that bodies aren't brought back down the mountain, IIRC.  So yeah, your loved one "died doing what he loved" and now he's going to stay right where he died, a corpsecicle being used as a trail marker for all the other idiots lining up to say they summited Everest.

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #38666 on: May 29, 2019, 08:14:48 AM

And in a few thousand years when the next wave of human evolution archaeologists are digging around and finding these preserved corpses, they will be in pure wonderment of how an ancient human tribe could have lived up there - given all the bodies piling up.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #38667 on: May 29, 2019, 08:54:42 AM

I read an article today (just to make myself more angry or something) about how these poor, poor people were forced to step over a recently dead corpse to make the last parts of the climb.

As opposed to the dozens or hundreds of other corpses littering the landscape under the snow and ice.  I guess the ice is melting permanently (global warning doing some good for once), so imagine the horror in coming years!  Fucking suckers.  Hey, maybe in 10 or 20 years they will have new bragging rights.....all the piles of corpses will make the peak even higher than what it is now.  If I took a buddy along and he were to die on the peak, I’d stand on his corpse and proclaim how I am the highest motherfucker that ever was.

Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #38668 on: May 29, 2019, 09:57:06 AM

Maybe they'll all start sliding at once and the lower camps will be buried in a corpsalanche?

And for what it's worth, I guess I've got my news bubble well trained because the only time I hear about these deaths is checking f13...

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #38669 on: May 29, 2019, 09:59:26 AM

But an Irishman, a Brit and an American have all died!  White people are succumbing!  How can you not know!

Corspalanche.  You have won this page of the thread.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #38670 on: May 29, 2019, 10:02:21 AM

If I ever make a zombie movie, it will start with icy corpses coming to life near the summit of Everest and eating the oxygen starved brains of rich white folk.  New meaning to Death Zone, haha.  That’s what I will call it.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #38671 on: May 29, 2019, 10:08:14 AM

If I remember when I get home I'll take a picture of my liquor collection, which should pretty much make anyone feel better about their own drinking hobby problem.

This has been somewhat top-of-mind for me lately because (a) I've been buying a lot of whiskey and (b) I've been trying to reorganize my kitchen and dining room to optimize storage space, and it's become pretty apparent what the primary consumer of that space is...

Definitely need to throw a party to try to get rid of some of this.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #38672 on: May 29, 2019, 10:15:04 AM

LOL.  I think you need to throw about 40 parties.

I am always embarrassed to tell people that I prefer rum over whiskey.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #38673 on: May 29, 2019, 10:18:14 AM

Poly probably has me beat in the rum category.   DRILLING AND MANLINESS  I have a few different bottles on hand so as to be able to make the occasional tiki cocktail, but since those ideally need fresh juice and hence forethought I mostly stick with whiskey and gin drinks.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #38674 on: May 29, 2019, 10:29:53 AM

And for what it's worth, I guess I've got my news bubble well trained because the only time I hear about these deaths is checking f13...
You're not alone; outside of this thread, I haven't heard anything about Everest.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Pages: 1 ... 1103 1104 [1105] 1106 1107 ... 1141 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless Conversation  
Jump to: