Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:58:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless Conversation 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 1104 1105 [1106] 1107 1108 ... 1141 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Useless Conversation  (Read 3421098 times)
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #38675 on: May 29, 2019, 10:38:26 AM

This has been somewhat top-of-mind for me lately because (a) I've been buying a lot of whiskey and (b) I've been trying to reorganize my kitchen and dining room to optimize storage space, and it's become pretty apparent what the primary consumer of that space is...
I sense a distinct lack of Japanese and Irish Wisk(e)y in that collection.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #38676 on: May 29, 2019, 11:00:02 AM

Definitely need to throw a party to try to get rid of some of this.

Prior to my buddy in Chicago getting married (as it always goes), he would host poker nights at his place. Over the course of a few years, he accumulated a shit ton of alcohol - he'd buy some at first, but realized everyone would bring their own bottle...every time, then leave it. Like 4 kitchen cabinets worth, every shelf. It was insane when I visited and he asked if I wanted a mixer. Wish i would have got the pics, but this was early 2000s and I was a basic cell phone bitch. Still the most bottles I have seen in a domestic setting.

Interesting side note, this buddy was also the straight edge hardcore guy in college that would start out the evening by putting big black marker X's on his hands. He never drank a drop while we were in school - which I still think is a shame.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #38677 on: May 29, 2019, 11:17:32 AM

We’re probably close on number of bottles, but you definitely have a much wider variety.

Most of my friends don’t drink Scotch, so I usually only have 2-3 different bottles of that on hand.  Typically a Balvenie, Lagavulin, and whatever I’m experimenting with.

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #38678 on: May 29, 2019, 11:49:15 AM

Corpsalanche is the new fetuspult

My booze collection is small, since I don't drink much. A bottle of Laphroiag (my go-to), a bottle of Cpt Morgan's spiced rum (mix w diet coke, very vanilla-y). My outlier is a bottle from a local 'moonshine' place, DikinDurt, a maple shine that's a smidge too mapley but still pretty great for the campfire crowd. And of course a bottle of prosecco is always chilling, just in case.

Oh, and I have a bottle of what I'm told is mead. An old friend gave it to me and told me to stash it for 5 years....5 years ago. Hm...
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #38679 on: May 29, 2019, 05:01:27 PM

He never drank a drop while we were in school - which I still think is a shame.
He was smart. I was the same way, had 1 beer once and a glass of whiskey once after I turned 21. Didn't drink at all after that until after I graduated at 24, and that was only once every 6-7 months. I didn't start drinking regularly\heavily until my mid-30s (mostly due to work stress). I have a slight problem so I've cut it back severely in the last 3-4 months. Your friend ensured he wouldn't fail out of college due to a drinking problem, which SO many people at my school did.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #38680 on: May 29, 2019, 05:37:33 PM

He never drank a drop while we were in school - which I still think is a shame.
He was smart. I was the same way, had 1 beer once and a glass of whiskey once after I turned 21. Didn't drink at all after that until after I graduated at 24, and that was only once every 6-7 months. I didn't start drinking regularly\heavily until my mid-30s (mostly due to work stress). I have a slight problem so I've cut it back severely in the last 3-4 months. Your friend ensured he wouldn't fail out of college due to a drinking problem, which SO many people at my school did.

Meh. I went to an engineering university. I knew a few people that fell out due to the stress or not being smart enough to stay, but only heard 1 person having to leave because of a substance and I was in a fraternity, so I saw that side of school life way more frequently.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #38681 on: May 29, 2019, 08:39:00 PM

I'm definitely not going to post any pictures of my bar cabinets, since my tastes are far from epicurean.

I mean, my top shelf whiskey is Ancient Age...

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #38682 on: May 29, 2019, 09:10:14 PM

I have Fireball downstairs.  I’m in no position to judge.

Also three half-bottles of this horrible Seagram’s lime gin my friend likes.  Keeps leaving remnants here, and I’m sure as shit not going to drink it.

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #38683 on: May 30, 2019, 09:31:50 AM

My cabinet is currently full of Costco liquor and then one high end bourbon, gin, and tequila. I'm of the 1 nice drink to start, then hit the regular stuff, crowd.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #38684 on: May 30, 2019, 09:51:00 AM

Looks like I am the only one that is cost conscious here. Cheap white wine, mineral water 1:1

Gets you drunk and keeps you hydrated. Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
I am on a drinking break too now though.

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #38685 on: May 30, 2019, 10:48:01 AM

Cheap rum, sweet orange juice and grenadine.  I call it a ghetto Mai Tai.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #38686 on: May 30, 2019, 10:56:00 AM

Cheap rum, sweet orange juice and grenadine.  I call it a ghetto Mai Tai.

Most people call that a Rum Sunset.  awesome, for real

http://www.gotrum.com/rumreviews/cocktail-reviews/rum-sunset-cocktail/

The two are constructed according to the same general theory of rum + fruit + sugar, but a Mai Tai uses lime juice and almond syrup (orgeat) rather than orange juice and pomegranate syrup (grenadine).

My go-to beverage at home for when I don't want to spend more than fifteen seconds fixing a drink is a splash of some kind of mid-level whiskey (i.e. not the nice single malt) in a glass of soda; similar to Cala, my theory is to stay hydrated while getting a mild buzz on.  I discovered recently that this was a Winston Churchill thing, so I'm in good company.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 11:03:47 AM by Samwise »

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #38687 on: May 30, 2019, 11:38:26 AM

My go-to beverage at home for when I don't want to spend more than fifteen seconds fixing a drink is a splash of some kind of mid-level whiskey (i.e. not the nice single malt) in a glass of soda; similar to Cala, my theory is to stay hydrated while getting a mild buzz on.  I discovered recently that this was a Winston Churchill thing, so I'm in good company.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
A.k.a a Japanese whisky highball or just Japanese Highball.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #38688 on: May 30, 2019, 11:59:30 AM

"Japanese highball" refers to an excessively specific and meticulous method of crafting a highball that I assure you I do not employ.   awesome, for real  "Weak whiskey soda" is the term I'd use.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #38689 on: May 30, 2019, 12:21:36 PM

Hah me and a friend used to drink a ton of those. We called them "Austrian Pretend Scotch and Sodas."
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #38690 on: May 30, 2019, 12:38:29 PM

"Japanese highball" refers to an excessively specific and meticulous method of crafting a highball that I assure you I do not employ.   awesome, for real  "Weak whiskey soda" is the term I'd use.
Or you just buy them in a can from vending machines or convenience stores (in Japan).

http://blog.sundaysgrocery.com/2017/06/whisky-highball-got-canned/
https://www.suntory.com/brands/cannedkakuhighball/

Edit: fixed image
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 03:33:42 PM by Trippy »
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #38691 on: May 30, 2019, 03:12:22 PM

Cheap rum, sweet orange juice and grenadine.  I call it a ghetto Mai Tai.

Not being able to get a good grenadine (ie not flavored corn syrup) around here, I make my own. Okay, it's just a simple syrup of Poms pomegranate juice, sugar and lemon, but it's still better than the swill Rose's has become.

And I consider a Tequila Sunrise (tequila, orange juice, and grenadine) to be a refreshing after dinner beverage...
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #38692 on: May 31, 2019, 09:23:26 AM

Looks like I am the only one that is cost conscious here. Cheap white wine, mineral water 1:1

Part of why I can spend basically whatever on booze (short of $100+ bottle of champagne, or Walker Blue, etc): I don't like being inebriated. So I have a built-in stop mechanism. Given my family tendency to . alcoholism and my band years as a blackout drunk, it still amazes me when that mechanism kicks in.

Just happened last weekend, neighbor made some margaritas (she has a commercial machine, heh). Really, really stiff. Halfway through the second one, I tapped out because I started to feel it. They bust my chops, but I'm ok with being sober and healthy (my best friend committed suicide by drinking vodka, so...).
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #38693 on: May 31, 2019, 09:29:46 AM

I find the higher-quality booze helps avoid hangover, but that may be anecdotal.  The fact that I don't get hangovers may have more to do with my level of consumption  swamp poop

Price doesn't slow down my drinking, but it does limit what I offer to the segment of my friends who drink stuff like Fireball.  They're so used to rotgut they can't appreciate the good stuff, so why try?

Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #38694 on: May 31, 2019, 09:52:58 AM

Part of why I can spend basically whatever on booze (short of $100+ bottle of champagne, or Walker Blue, etc): I don't like being inebriated. So I have a built-in stop mechanism. Given my family tendency to . alcoholism and my band years as a blackout drunk, it still amazes me when that mechanism kicks in.

Just happened last weekend, neighbor made some margaritas (she has a commercial machine, heh). Really, really stiff. Halfway through the second one, I tapped out because I started to feel it. They bust my chops, but I'm ok with being sober and healthy (my best friend committed suicide by drinking vodka, so...).

Yeah being wasted just to get wasted doesn't fly for me anymore either. The loss of control just isn't as fun when you get older.

That said, going out to hear good music can still short circuit that safety for me. Last time I got hammered was knocking back rum and cokes at a fun show. But nowadays that resulting two day hangover is kinda hard to live through...

Also, @Calapine, that recipe reminds me of what I call a cheap ass Mimosa -- sprite, orange juice, and any white(ish) wine.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #38695 on: May 31, 2019, 10:21:18 AM

I don't think I've had a drink in around 7+ years now? It started a lot earlier due to digestive (GERD) issues, and the fact that I just didn't care about it. Last time I had a drink, it was just a cocktail at a friend's house. That one drink made me near drunk (always been a light weight), and the next day I felt like I had the flu. It felt like an allergic reaction.

So, I've been dry. No one really gives me shit except my son's alcoholic assistant baseball coaches (they were drinking at one of his games FFS and sneak drinks during practices). It's been a cheaper way to live. The trip to Scotland was the last time I felt tempted in the least.

-Rasix
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #38696 on: May 31, 2019, 01:11:53 PM

I have literally never had a hangover. Closest I have come is a day after when I felt like someone had gone through my intestines with a plumbing snake, but is more likely to have been the food that Drunk Me decided to eat rather than the alcohol. I've also never been blackout drunk, or passed out drunk (I did once look at my bed from the floor, and make a deliberate and conscious decision it was too much work).

I drank too much for a while in the Air Force, but when I decided that drinking was for special occasions, and "Tuesday" didn't count, I didn't have any problem sticking to that. I have varied from drinking daily to going entire years without a drink.

There's no particular willpower or virtue in this, I come from a long line of drunks, but while I have inherited the capacity and the hangover immunity, the actual addiction genes seem to have gotten turned off.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #38697 on: June 01, 2019, 08:26:47 AM

Is hangover immunity a real thing?  I mean, it’s about the alcohol dehydrating you, I am not sure you can be immune to it.  Maybe you just hydrate better in general, or something?  Some other factor?

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #38698 on: June 01, 2019, 08:42:42 AM

Is hangover immunity a real thing?  I mean, it’s about the alcohol dehydrating you, I am not sure you can be immune to it.  Maybe you just hydrate better in general, or something?  Some other factor?

It seems like people consider the “not getting a headache” to be immunity.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #38699 on: June 01, 2019, 08:53:56 AM

Don’t know.  I used to get them but not anymore.  Part of becoming habituated to alcohol maybe.  Plus I usually go out of my way to drink water while boozing, but even when I don’t it doesn’t seem to hit me (other than being really damn thirsty in the middle of the night)

Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #38700 on: June 01, 2019, 09:28:02 AM

Without bothering to look it up or anything, I thought hangovers were a combo of factors, mostly relating to the fact that alcohol is a pretty serious toxin anyway.

But I have no doubt that some folks are more resistant than others, but said resistance probably still declines over time. But even regarding my complaint, different drinks hit me harder in the hangover department. Fruit sugary drinks are bad, wine is worse, and those above mentioned run and cokes actually didn't bother me much at all (even with all the sugar in the coke).

But the two (two!) Mai Tais I made a few weeks before? Felt like crap all the next day.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #38701 on: June 01, 2019, 09:41:21 AM

Where the shit is Nebu?  This is just the sort of thing for him.  Haven’t heard from him in a long while.

MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #38702 on: June 01, 2019, 05:24:49 PM

It seems like people consider the “not getting a headache” to be immunity.
I'm told that hangovers involve headaches, sensitivity to light and sound, nausea, and sometimes diarrhea. I've never had any of those after drinking but the diarrhea, and that was more likely food that looked appetizing when I was drunk but may have been sitting out for hours.

And I have been seriously, borderline alcohol poisoning drunk on occasion (not for more than 20 years, though). If it was going to happen, it would have.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #38703 on: June 04, 2019, 09:38:27 PM

Just a good-morning-duck picture. Snapped 30 seconds ago.

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #38704 on: June 05, 2019, 12:45:47 AM

Mallard

Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #38705 on: June 05, 2019, 08:26:46 AM

Mallard

If it quacks like a duck...

rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #38706 on: June 05, 2019, 12:38:26 PM

That's a total sausage party.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #38707 on: June 05, 2019, 06:33:10 PM

That's a total sausage party.
It's that time of year. Nesting season, the womenfolk are hunkered down and gangs of males rove the streets.

Source: I live near a stream that has hundreds of mallards.
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #38708 on: June 05, 2019, 07:29:03 PM

Wandering bands of corkscrew-dicked rapers. Pekins are just inbred mallards, and Limpy has tried mounting Canadian Geese girls here.
schild
Administrator

Reply #38709 on: June 06, 2019, 06:38:24 PM

anyone have a pixel 2/xl (unlocked, so I can shove it on my google fi plan) just lying around collecting dust and need a reason to put it in a mailbox and send it to a friend me?

asking for a me
Pages: 1 ... 1104 1105 [1106] 1107 1108 ... 1141 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless Conversation  
Jump to: