Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:10:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless Conversation 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 1055 1056 [1057] 1058 1059 ... 1141 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Useless Conversation  (Read 3400406 times)
schild
Administrator

Reply #36960 on: October 30, 2017, 01:03:44 PM

I like concrete, money, and atheists.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #36961 on: October 30, 2017, 02:39:15 PM

I have read enough of Haemish's words on moving or not, in this thread and other, to decide that he should simply move deeper into Miss.  I think "other people" is a big issue, and you might then think that you could suggest some sort of unpopulated area but:
1. No internet
2. Possibly some variant of a hellscape

What I'm really suggesting is some variant of a cabin in the woods.  Old typewriter for anti-gubment tirades is optional.

Bad news: everywhere sucks.  Mostly because if you want to be able to use a grocery store or visit a decent hospital then you're going to have to live near other people.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #36962 on: October 30, 2017, 03:16:25 PM

Believe it or not, I'm actually ok with moving near MORE PEOPLE especially if those people are strangers. I'm finding the ones that I know well enough to be something of a disappointment.

Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #36963 on: October 30, 2017, 04:33:29 PM

If I may: MOVE now before you have children.  Schools are a huge complexity.  So do spouses, but you know. 
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #36964 on: October 30, 2017, 06:46:40 PM

Oh boy are they ever.

When I moved away from the shitty shithole of North Kentucky to a much better district in Ohio, the daughter fought me on it tooth and nail. She had fallen-in with shit kids because of the district we'd wound-up in was forcing our neighborhood to go to the poor/ low-income school 5 miles away to 'balance things out.'  Neither the Ex nor I could take time off work to shuttle the girl every day to the better school that was only 1/2 a mile away. It was bullshit.  She's still suffering from being around kids who mocked her for being bright and having more interest than a blue-collar job.  Fuck the recession for tht sideways.

Now that I'm looking at relocating to Pittsburgh, I know it'll be rough on the boy in some ways. However;  I also know I need to do it before he starts HS next year, or simply wait. The stress of the divorce coupled with a new school in the middle of HS? No.. better to start as a Freshman and work your way through all 4 years. I may still wait.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #36965 on: October 30, 2017, 08:15:32 PM

Ya.  If you don't have kids or a shitty mortgage to service, get up and go somewhere's better for work and life.  

I mean, WORST CASE you just have to go back to where you started with maybe more debt but that also works out if where you're from has a lower cost of living.  why so serious?
WayAbvPar

Reply #36966 on: October 31, 2017, 10:10:33 AM

I like concrete, money, and atheists.

Love Letters

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #36967 on: November 02, 2017, 11:41:03 AM

Believe it or not, I'm actually ok with moving near MORE PEOPLE especially if those people are strangers. I'm finding the ones that I know well enough to be something of a disappointment.

Everyone sucks.  You know this.  Unless it is family, in which case why are you still there?

Totally unrelated: When I switched to Fi, I had VZW drop my number but I do still have a secondary number on it.  After some long while, I think I did not get my billing email and so when I go to check the web site, it says it is down and check back later.  This was September.  Today I again remembered that I should have seen a bill by now and again the web site gives lots of errors and says to come back later.  This might be merely amusing except for my planned return to VZW and I'm starting to think I'm going to have to roll up my sleeves to fix this with some account person.  The secondary number continues working as before.

The best part is that VZW doesn't hand out a phone number unless you have an account.  I can probably dig it up somewhere but I don't have time for this shit.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
schild
Administrator

Reply #36968 on: November 02, 2017, 12:49:46 PM

I feel like I had that exact issue with VZW. I told them to mail me a bill or nothing would ever get paid.

Nothing ever got paid.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #36969 on: November 02, 2017, 04:22:24 PM

Everyone sucks.  You know this.  Unless it is family, in which case why are you still there?

Totally unrelated: When I switched to Fi, I had VZW drop my number but I do still have a secondary number on it.  After some long while, I think I did not get my billing email and so when I go to check the web site, it says it is down and check back later.  This was September.  Today I again remembered that I should have seen a bill by now and again the web site gives lots of errors and says to come back later.  This might be merely amusing except for my planned return to VZW and I'm starting to think I'm going to have to roll up my sleeves to fix this with some account person.  The secondary number continues working as before.

The best part is that VZW doesn't hand out a phone number unless you have an account.  I can probably dig it up somewhere but I don't have time for this shit.

this guy looks legit

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #36970 on: November 03, 2017, 06:34:19 AM

I don't know where to file that. awesome, for real

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #36971 on: November 03, 2017, 07:20:16 AM

Under rule 34.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #36972 on: November 03, 2017, 03:30:56 PM

I don't know where to file that. awesome, for real

I am heading to the blue Ridge mountains, but can help ya.  Preferably when I get back; I created a myth that my work gear broke and that I won't have cell service for a week.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Just PM me if u need help.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #36973 on: November 04, 2017, 04:41:07 PM

I'm in the mountains also and right now.  Probably the final weekend to see some colorful leaves.  Already Lake Burton is a few inches low.  Super quiet, though, and we again are resolving to come here more during the off season.  Will we?

Next weekend is a pirate pub crawl in Helen (weird, right?), and we are going to try to bend our obligations schedule to go to it.  I can't remember if I mentioned that I have a very fancy pirate costume and my wife and I are trying to go to pirate activities now.

Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #36974 on: November 04, 2017, 05:12:29 PM

I'm in the mountains also and right now.  Probably the final weekend to see some colorful leaves.  Already Lake Burton is a few inches low.  Super quiet, though, and we again are resolving to come here more during the off season.  Will we?

Next weekend is a pirate pub crawl in Helen (weird, right?), and we are going to try to bend our obligations schedule to go to it.  I can't remember if I mentioned that I have a very fancy pirate costume and my wife and I are trying to go to pirate activities now.

I am in Helen right now, actually.  First time, and dislike it.  Too many people.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #36975 on: November 04, 2017, 05:25:31 PM

North Georgia in general suffers from too many people now (you may have caught on to that).  No going back without a plague of some sort.  Which is why I'm enjoying Burton so much now.  Even this lake gets congested with people on summer holidays, but today the water would actually be glass-like for large parts of the day and no skiers in the cove.

Too bad it's so fucking hot. Ohhhhh, I see.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #36976 on: November 05, 2017, 06:24:54 PM

Do I know anybody who still plays LoL?

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #36977 on: November 05, 2017, 08:28:43 PM

I'm still wallowing in bronze 5 hell.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #36978 on: November 05, 2017, 08:57:51 PM

Do I know anybody who still plays LoL?

I still watch the competitive scene. What MOBA I'm currently playing depends on whatever my son's usually playing. About once a year (or so), it tends to be LoL.

-Rasix
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #36979 on: November 05, 2017, 10:44:45 PM

Oh NM, the fine print on this thing says it's expired.   awesome, for real  Sorting through my pile of PAX swag and found one of those LoL skins.  Doesn't seem like they're as coveted an item as they once were anyway.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #36980 on: November 06, 2017, 06:45:58 AM

I am in Helen right now, actually.  First time, and dislike it.  Too many people.

Ha, I was just there this weekend with the fiance. It is too many people. And for heaven's sake the one road with no lights and just random ass pedestrians crossing? It's worse than Atlanta 285 traffic.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #36981 on: November 06, 2017, 06:06:34 PM

You know, I'm actually at a loss when I have to have the first "do we have a place to retire to"? conversations with the spouse. It's a long ways off still, 15-20 years, but...I don't know that there's a place that:

a) I like
b) she likes
c) we can afford
d) that we could walk to the basics and drive to some interesting shit (cafe, groceries, some nice parks or what have you)

I guess I think occasionally, "Bozeman?" but that's fucking cold. Walla Walla? Bellingham?

NYC only if we want to live in a shithole part of it and probably get flooded out as the city drowns. Same for Chicago.
I don't want to be anywhere in the South of the US.
Ditto Texas, the Southwest.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #36982 on: November 06, 2017, 06:11:00 PM

Look at Bend, Oregon.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #36983 on: November 06, 2017, 07:03:38 PM

Belize.

IF you stay in the country at this point you're just asking for it.  why so serious?

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #36984 on: November 06, 2017, 07:37:09 PM

What does "we can afford" mean? $1k/month rent/mortgage? Less?

- Viin
schild
Administrator

Reply #36985 on: November 06, 2017, 08:08:02 PM

Florence, Italy.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #36986 on: November 07, 2017, 12:14:32 AM

I am just so fucking tired of computers breaking.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #36987 on: November 07, 2017, 04:55:44 AM

Outside the US has some allure, but it can be pretty complicated when it comes down to the residency requirements. Plus I don't want to be in a situation where my daughter in her late 20s and early 30s can't really afford to visit us.

Not sure yet what we're going to be having to work with in retirement. Our money guy says that the situation is actually pretty good once we finish our current financial reorganization, so assuming the stock market doesn't utterly tank in the next 15 years, maybe considerably more than I fearfully think. I still would guess we can't live in the middle of most of the big cities that I'd be ok with living in the middle of. It's also possible that there will be a professional gig or two I can think about taking in my late 60s/early 70s that will roll in extra income for five or ten years, depending on how my current administrative schtick turns out.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #36988 on: November 07, 2017, 07:09:32 AM

<printers
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #36989 on: November 07, 2017, 03:28:49 PM

<consoles

5 minutes into Madden, Xbox One X bricks. Looks like there's a power supply issue in the day one models. Not too pissed, since I'm playing Elex on the PC anyway, but I bet some people are going to lose their minds if it's widespread.

Protip: return via Amazon. MS support says 14-28 days for repair ticket, another dude on Amazon said phone support told him $15 shipping. I didn't get that far, the Amazon replacement I had open in the other window (not my first rodeo) said delivery on Nov 15th. Another week, but at least it's a new machine and costs me zero earth dollars to replace it.
schild
Administrator

Reply #36990 on: November 08, 2017, 06:37:20 AM

Nice to see their failure rate is unchanged in five iterations of the console.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #36991 on: November 08, 2017, 04:42:27 PM

Love Letters

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #36992 on: November 08, 2017, 04:46:03 PM

Belize is nice (enough) and they speak English.  They take American dollars.  US Dollar = 2 Belize Dollar.  They are very proud of their accepting culture.  You can have a jaguar lick your head while you feed it raw chicken.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #36993 on: November 08, 2017, 05:11:42 PM

They also (or at least did) have a specific program for U.S. retirees allowing immigration so long as you have either a certain defined pension or level of retirement assets.  Don't know the specifics but it is one I am keeping an eye on although it would probably be too damn hot/humid for my liking.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #36994 on: November 08, 2017, 05:58:11 PM

Anyone know anything about moving to Canada?  Yes, I'm serious.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Pages: 1 ... 1055 1056 [1057] 1058 1059 ... 1141 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless Conversation  
Jump to: