Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 03:42:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless Conversation 0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 1054 1055 [1056] 1057 1058 ... 1141 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Useless Conversation  (Read 3425839 times)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #36925 on: October 27, 2017, 11:39:17 AM

The wife being from New England and wanting to go back there means it's like in the top 5 no matter whether I'd want to or not.  why so serious? I actually don't mind the New Haven and Connecticut area though it is expensive, mainly because I've actually been there and don't feel too out of place. It's also full of white people.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #36926 on: October 27, 2017, 12:03:49 PM

Las Vegas would be my suggestion.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #36927 on: October 27, 2017, 12:42:40 PM

Voodoolilly and my sister both live in Portland.  From their Facebook posts it evidently is not the city it once was, as too many folks have migrated there for the culture but *really* didn't want to be 'weird.' Also there's a strong underground white nationalist movement as  Portland is among the whitest places in the country.

So, nah.

I'm probably moving to Pittsburgh in the near future. I have a line on possible work for CMU, and the city is getting a huge tech makeover. Google,  Facebook, Apple, and Uber have offices and rumors of Amazon doing the same. Looks to be fun.

Pretty much what my wife said about Portland. I was a bit surprised at the deep seeded white nationalism there, but she explained it enough for me to get the jist.

We (Pittsburgh) is still waiting on the Amazon decision but are very optimistic. I think they'll go elsewhere and Pittsburgh's airport is kind of shit. But who knows. Be forewarned though, Pittsburgh is starting to drift into a lot of vacant unaffordable housing everywhere. Lots of companies are buying up lots and razing buildings in low income neighborhoods (well the ones with lower taxes) and putting up new modern apts. Basically, they are pricing out all the poor black people around town, *ahem*, sorry... Gentrifying neighborhoods. They built many of these in the East Liberty area and many of the apts are just sitting. Some have the Google and Uber folks but they are becoming more temporary before they move elsewhere. (take that with a grain of salt, I'm hearing the bad from current residents that are seeing their rent going up because of the new places going up - they've become pretty observant about this stuff). Guess the bubble has to start somewhere.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #36928 on: October 27, 2017, 01:06:02 PM

Front range Colorado is only "crowded" relative to how it was a couple of decades ago, roads haven't kept up with growth (last time I went through Ft Collins a few months back, seemed like half the town was torn up). If you're not trying to commute into Denver, it's still not bad. It's high on my list of "places I wouldn't mind living". DIA is one of the most connected airports in the country, and easier to reach from Boulder or Fort Collins than from most of Denver.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #36929 on: October 27, 2017, 01:08:45 PM

I'm probably moving to Pittsburgh in the near future. I have a line on possible work for CMU, and the city is getting a huge tech makeover. Google,  Facebook, Apple, and Uber have offices and rumors of Amazon doing the same. Looks to be fun.
We (Pittsburgh) is still waiting on the Amazon decision but are very optimistic. I think they'll go elsewhere and Pittsburgh's airport is kind of shit. But who knows. Be forewarned though, Pittsburgh is starting to drift into a lot of vacant unaffordable housing everywhere. Lots of companies are buying up lots and razing buildings in low income neighborhoods (well the ones with lower taxes) and putting up new modern apts. Basically, they are pricing out all the poor black people around town, *ahem*, sorry... Gentrifying neighborhoods. They built many of these in the East Liberty area and many of the apts are just sitting. Some have the Google and Uber folks but they are becoming more temporary before they move elsewhere. (take that with a grain of salt, I'm hearing the bad from current residents that are seeing their rent going up because of the new places going up - they've become pretty observant about this stuff). Guess the bubble has to start somewhere.

Yeah, I noticed that already.  I'd be looking in and around the North Allegheny or Hampton school districts first. Some "OK' stuff there in my price range. Nothing like the subdivisions I've grown up and lived in, though. It'll be a change for me.

The concern on my part is the YOY valuation average in those districts is ~5%. That's high for houses, so yes, could be a bubble.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #36930 on: October 27, 2017, 01:26:48 PM

My dad taught in Hampton for years, it's not a bad place to live at all.
schild
Administrator

Reply #36931 on: October 27, 2017, 01:49:13 PM

The wife being from New England and wanting to go back there means it's like in the top 5 no matter whether I'd want to or not.  why so serious? I actually don't mind the New Haven and Connecticut area though it is expensive, mainly because I've actually been there and don't feel too out of place. It's also full of white people.

New Haven is a festering pile of garbage.
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #36932 on: October 27, 2017, 04:27:15 PM

The grinders there are pretty good.
schild
Administrator

Reply #36933 on: October 27, 2017, 04:57:35 PM

The grinders there are pretty good.
So is the pizza. But I'D still live in Detroit before new England (again).

And I'm sure as fuck not living in Detroit. Haemish, however, I think would love it. Well, provided he's met a black person.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #36934 on: October 27, 2017, 07:54:41 PM

Dude, I grew up in rural Mississippi. And while the town was mostly unofficially segregated (including having separate buses for white and black kids), I went to schools that were at least 70/30 white to black ratio. It wasn't until high school that I moved to the suburbs where it was a lot whiter. Many rural Mississippi towns aren't as lily white as you think - they're just racist as fuck and still a decade or so behind. One of my best friends in high school was black (yes, I had a black friend!).

Still wouldn't fucking live in Detroit, though. Or really much of anywhere in Michigan or the Midwest. If I'm going to live north of the Mason Dixon line where winter temps hover around single digits or worse, I'm sure as fucking going to do it near a coast where I can get fresh seafood and civilization. Or in Chicago, where I can see Cubs games in the summer. Or some place like Boulder, which seems just large enough without being too big city but is near enough a decent sized city in Denver.

schild
Administrator

Reply #36935 on: October 27, 2017, 08:05:11 PM

You should consider Detroit. I'm seriously not fucking with you. It will fit you better than you think and that's not even a tiny bit of an insult. Research it a bit.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #36936 on: October 27, 2017, 08:14:04 PM

Having just been there, it's not bad if you pick your spot well - just don't live in the crumbling middle ring areas. The downtown isn't bad, from what I saw - the biggest issue is that folks historically haven't really lived there, like they do in DC or something. However, some of the burbs are fine, and you probably get more house there than in most of the northeast or mid-Atlantic region.

They key is probably to have a job in-hand before moving.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
schild
Administrator

Reply #36937 on: October 27, 2017, 08:16:28 PM

They key is probably to have a job in-hand before moving.

That's the key to moving anywhere. Tell you what though, every city listed besides Detroit costs ohhhhh

A king's random more than Anywhere, MS.
WayAbvPar

Reply #36938 on: October 27, 2017, 08:41:28 PM

If you don't mind being 20 miles from downtown, Greater Seattle area (King County) is somewhat affordable. Traffic blows ass, but you can probably telecommute at least part of the time with your gig, yes?

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #36939 on: October 27, 2017, 10:52:52 PM

New England isn't too expensive. It just blows ass completely and totally.

You clearly have not spent much time in Portland Maine.

The winters are fucking brutal I will give you that.  Lived in Maine for 6 years, I really miss it, but fuck the winters were brutal. 

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #36940 on: October 28, 2017, 12:07:26 AM

Even as a non-mormon I like living in the Salt Lake Valley quite a bit.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #36941 on: October 28, 2017, 12:29:16 AM

Even as a non-mormon I like living in the Salt Lake Valley quite a bit.
No. Literally any thing you can do there, except for "drive across the desert at ludicrous speed", there's better in CO, without having to live in a state that is only technically not an extension of the Mormon Church. I've spent years in both, as both a child and adult.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #36942 on: October 28, 2017, 01:35:42 AM

Disagree. Huge swaths of Colorado have this weird undercurrent of judgey evangelical nastiness. Plus the mountains in the Denver area are far away on one side and non-existent on the other. It's practically fucking Kansas. As long as you stay in designated areas of the Salt Lake Valley or (if you can afford it) Summit County you are good. You lived in the armpit of Ogden if I recall correctly so your opinion is invalid.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #36943 on: October 28, 2017, 04:18:32 AM

I love Denver but as a skiier, SLC is way better. You can take a fucking city bus to 4 good ski areas and drive to a half a dozen others within an hour.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #36944 on: October 28, 2017, 05:35:01 AM

I sort of like the places you can get to from SLC better than Denver, too--it's at the heart of a big circle of interesting destinations.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #36945 on: October 28, 2017, 06:50:56 AM

My last name is too common in SLC as one of my common ancestors emigrated with Bringham Young while there's only 6 of us outside of the city in my branch of the family. So while I'll avoid it for the rest of my life, I agree it's a better city, so long as pot and alcohol access isn't one of your deciding factors.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #36946 on: October 28, 2017, 08:56:32 AM

It is no harder to get alcohol in SLC than it is in Pennsylvania.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
WayAbvPar

Reply #36947 on: October 28, 2017, 10:45:38 AM

Disagree. Huge swaths of Colorado have this weird undercurrent of judgey evangelical nastiness. Plus the mountains in the Denver area are far away on one side and non-existent on the other. It's practically fucking Kansas. As long as you stay in designated areas of the Salt Lake Valley or (if you can afford it) Summit County you are good. You lived in the armpit of Ogden if I recall correctly so your opinion is invalid.

Colorado Springs is especially scary in that regard. One of the reasons the wildfires a few years back didn't bother me as much as some of the others. Yes, I am a terrible person.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #36948 on: October 28, 2017, 11:19:17 AM

My last name is too common in SLC as one of my common ancestors emigrated with Bringham Young while there's only 6 of us outside of the city in my branch of the family. So while I'll avoid it for the rest of my life, I agree it's a better city, so long as pot and alcohol access isn't one of your deciding factors.

awesome, for real  I married someone with the same last name. 

I have a liquor store 5 minutes from my house that is as good as any I've been to in any other state despite it being run by the state.  Like I said, you just have to be selective where you land.

-H.L. Mencken
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #36949 on: October 28, 2017, 04:29:22 PM

In other news, pretty sure I broke my pinky toe last night.   Ohhhhh, I see.

-H.L. Mencken
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #36950 on: October 28, 2017, 04:34:42 PM

In other news, pretty sure I broke my pinky toe last night.   Ohhhhh, I see.

Was it while you were on the way to the liquor store?  DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #36951 on: October 28, 2017, 04:41:36 PM

No, but I won't say that liquor had no involvement.  awesome, for real

-H.L. Mencken
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #36952 on: October 28, 2017, 11:31:57 PM

Even more liquor might help address the problem!

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #36953 on: October 28, 2017, 11:42:58 PM

Waaaaay ahead of you.

-H.L. Mencken
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #36954 on: October 30, 2017, 08:36:20 AM

I dunno, I think Utah may not be so bad. Even though their creed is embarrassingly dorky, they tend to counter that by being impeccable polite. Of course, don't move there as either a woman or a minority, like, ever. But that goes for just about any red state.

Portland's an interesting one. My partner's from there, and she tells me that underneath the liberal views and the crafty hippy veneer there's a strong undercurrent of white nationalism that's basically inescapable, due to the state's lack of diversity. She spent a lot of her early years as a punk under assault from skinheads who in turn were backed up by the Portland police. That was in the 80s, but I wouldn't be surprised if it hasn't evolved much from that. Pearl clutching white liberals trying to cover up the stink of their rural brethren.

Here's an article on the subject: https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2016/07/racist-history-portland/492035/

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #36955 on: October 30, 2017, 08:56:42 AM

I'd move to Utah in a heartbeat.  Ogden is one of the most beautiful places in the US and the cost of living is reasonable.  Great hiking, skiing, and kayaking. 

If you enjoy being outdoors, Utah is possibly the best place to live in the lower 48.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #36956 on: October 30, 2017, 09:25:47 AM

Yeg: Next step is either a pet monkey or a talking parrot on your shoulder. 

You'll be the hit at parties... if you aren't already.    why so serious?

No more things that poop.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

Reply #36957 on: October 30, 2017, 11:40:06 AM

I'd move to Utah in a heartbeat.  Ogden is one of the most beautiful places in the US and the cost of living is reasonable.  Great hiking, skiing, and kayaking. 

If you enjoy being outdoors, Utah is possibly the best place to live in the lower 48.
If you like mountain biking, yes. Skiing is iffy (but they have great PR people promoting the fuck out of them). Everything else outdoors? There are narrow patches and a few valleys that are almost like forest, if you haven't spent a lot of time in the real thing, and everything else is a blasted hellscape.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #36958 on: October 30, 2017, 12:25:57 PM

Did you even leave your house while here? Utah has 5 national parks, 6 national monuments and over 3,000,000 acres of national forest.

-H.L. Mencken
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #36959 on: October 30, 2017, 12:44:41 PM

If you like mountain biking, yes. Skiing is iffy (but they have great PR people promoting the fuck out of them).

I worked as a ski patrol in the Rockies, have helicopter skiied in Canada, and still find Utah to have the best powder skiing I've ever experienced.

I guess our opinions differ.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Pages: 1 ... 1054 1055 [1056] 1057 1058 ... 1141 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless Conversation  
Jump to: