Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:11:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless Conversation 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 1051 1052 [1053] 1054 1055 ... 1141 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Useless Conversation  (Read 3400446 times)
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #36820 on: October 11, 2017, 09:45:20 AM

I don't mean it to be offensive.  Tastes do change in terms of sweet and salty with prolonged dietary changes.  I admit that I overstated it a bit, but that could also be due to my particular situation being different.  It takes 10 days to 2 weeks to reset taste buds, so if you haven't fasted (water only) that long, you may not have experienced it in its full intensity.  

Here's an example of longer term dietary change effects on taste:

Am J Clin Nutr. 1986 Aug;44(2):232-43.

Effect of dietary sodium restriction on taste responses to sodium chloride: a longitudinal study.
Blais CA, Pangborn RM, Borhani NO, Ferrell MF, Prineas RJ, Laing B.

Abstract
Normotensive adults on low-sodium, weight-loss, and control diets recorded preferences and perceived saltiness for sodium chloride (NaCl) added to cream soup at intervals over 1 yr. Reduction in sodium intake and excretion accompanied a shift in preference toward less salt: preferred concentrations by ad libitum salting declined from 0.72% at the onset to 0.33% NaCl at week 24; hedonic scores for high concentrations of NaCl decreased significantly while scores for low concentrations increased. After 3 mo of sodium restriction, NaCl preferences readjusted to a lower level: ad libitum additions of NaCl were similar after 13, 24, and 52 wk. Less hedonic variation was observed among controls than among Na-restricted groups. The weight-loss group showed increased liking for mid-range NaCl levels. Mechanisms underlying preference changes, including physiological, behavioral, and context effects, may provide insights into maintenance of low-sodium diets for treatment and prevention of hypertension.

It's a trend and not observable in all cases.  You and Schild may simply be exceptions.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 09:47:30 AM by Nebu »

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #36821 on: October 11, 2017, 09:51:54 AM

This is getting to be one of the more ridiculous SHOW ME YOUR WORK arguments we've had. And it's almost about apples. Which is basically the thread every Autumn anyway.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #36822 on: October 11, 2017, 09:55:27 AM

This is getting to be one of the more ridiculous SHOW ME YOUR WORK arguments we've had. And it's almost about apples. Which is basically the thread every Autumn anyway.

If you can find them, SweetTango apples are amazing!

Better?

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #36823 on: October 11, 2017, 09:56:34 AM

Have they genetically created a High Fructose Corn Syrup apple yet?

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #36824 on: October 11, 2017, 09:57:16 AM

Have they genetically created a High Fructose Corn Syrup apple yet?

Yes, but it's only edible when covered in caramel and stuck with a stick.

-  Mark Twain
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #36825 on: October 11, 2017, 10:31:26 AM

If you wish for a catalog of types of apples, my wife has you covered. She is a fanatic for apples and has been questing to try any and all apple varieties including orchard specific ones. Me? An apple is an apple and I only really knew granny smith vs apple, but she is a downright connoisseur of apples.

I'm coming around to being able to distinguish among the popular ones and we do on occasion a multiple variety taste test. Crazy... her and the huge variety of apples and flavors. Her favorite when I pin her to one is the golden russet.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #36826 on: October 11, 2017, 10:45:47 AM

The sugar thing definitely applies to me -- many things I used to think were not too sweet now are. That hasn't happened for salt though -- I'm probably too sensitive to how much salt works as a flavor enhancer (beyond just making things "salty").
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #36827 on: October 11, 2017, 10:56:56 AM

Is this where I start talking about my honeycrisp trees? Didn't produce this year, but the orchard has a ton.

I'm trying to push the local restaurants to get more farm to table, since we have a shitton of farms here. The stuff the Mennonites are producing is unbelievably good, I hit up their stands a lot. I can get fresh anything but ocean in about a 15 minute radius, and it's reasonably priced. For seafood, if I stick to lake and stream species, I can also get that same-day fresh here (as well as a lot of game meat).

I've eaten at some great restaurants and we do have a couple here, despite most people not giving a shit about their food and eating garbage. But when the decision is to pay $50/plate or $10/plate and spend 15 minutes making it? I was out in Rochester at a pretty nice restaurant and the swordfish was competent, the sides phoned in. I can stop by the local seafood place and snag a couple slabs of fresh swordfish, add s&p and grill on my patio and have a world class meal.

I'm not as hardcore as Nebs, but I'm definitely hard in that direction. I love the taste of fresh food, as unadulterated as possible. It's sometimes tough because my fiancee is a fast food junkie, so I do see where a palette trained to the modern american sugar/fat addiction finds my menu a bit bland. It's too bad, because the subtle flavors are so much better than getting hammered with a couple flavor whores constantly. Even my favorite restaurant fucked up thier great risotto by whoring it with 'sundried' tomatoes and other nonsense to punch sweet/fat (but I found I can order a 'simple risotto' to get a real one).

It's a pretty good example of both why I love this area and why it sucks. I can get fresh anything here, the bounty of high quality food is almost embarassing, and it's easy to find (even fresh mozzarella made here, for the caprese out of my garden). But there's not much of an appreciation for it as far as restaurants go, people would rather go to the phoning-it-in Italian joints living on former glory or lol Appelby's. Luckily, I can cook, so I eat like a king.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #36828 on: October 11, 2017, 07:41:54 PM

I don't know if it's because I've lived here a long time and don't go out much to other towns anymore, or because I live in a tourist town that doesn't have to have great food, but the food in my town seems like it's gone downhill the past decade or so. There isn't a decent Chinese place any more, but an awful lot of Italian and Thai restaurants (and Mexican because California). A couple of gastropubs have opened which are ok but not great shakes. A couple of breweries. The old fine dining establishments seem tired and/or lazy.

Nothing is great. The best places are merely ok, and often because of the setting or some reason other than food.

Or maybe I'm growing harder to please (always a possibility).
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #36829 on: October 12, 2017, 01:25:37 PM

TIL Mississippi has pizza delivery.

Which other state delivers it to Miss?  Is it a monopoly?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #36830 on: October 13, 2017, 07:56:48 PM

How is it that Amazon made the e-book popular, makes the most commonly used Ebook, got it's START as a freaking bookseller and yet....

I cannot organize my shit online and tell it "Deliver this to Kindle X when it syncs". If I create a collection online, and put a book that's supposed to be delivered to my Kindle in it -- it will not sync the collection. I have to go the Kindle, view the cloud collections, and explicitly grab it.

Which takes like four tries and a restart before the fucking thing shows up.

I can see "Device Content" as a chooseable tab on their webpage, but I can't fucking organize my Kindle on it because what sort of crazy person wants to organize their books.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #36831 on: October 13, 2017, 08:05:05 PM

Amazon does not understand UX. Like at all.

rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #36832 on: October 14, 2017, 05:23:55 AM

Calibre works great though! I have an original DX with whispernet, when I buy or preorder a book, it does just send it then/when available. But as Haemish said, everything else is crap.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #36833 on: October 16, 2017, 12:00:10 PM

Amazon does not understand UX. Like at all.
I'd be happy with folders for my video watchlist. Stuff to watch with the fiancee so we don't have to wade through pages of esoteric horror and I don't need to constantly get shit for Jean Rollin stuff  DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #36834 on: October 18, 2017, 03:20:39 PM

George Clinton playing tonight... early day tomorrow working with my supervisor...  why so serious? fuck it, ticket bought. 

Haven't seen him since the mid 90s looking forward to this bigtime.  Most of the recent shows I have been to have all been metal so will be nice to shake things up a bit.

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
schild
Administrator

Reply #36835 on: October 18, 2017, 03:25:31 PM

Saw him in 2003.

I can't imagine how old they look now. They looked undead back then.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #36836 on: October 18, 2017, 07:03:19 PM

I think he just gets cooler and cooler looking as time goes by.  George Clinton is bausome.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #36837 on: October 18, 2017, 11:38:16 PM

They keep bringing young blood into the mix.  Was an incredible show, 13 people on stage, 3 guitarists and everything is so tight, clean and heavy.  Very glad I went.  Very diverse crowd of all ages, shapes, sizes, and colors.

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #36838 on: October 22, 2017, 05:57:41 PM

How do I explain to my wife that I want to keep my grill and not the multi hundred one I just bought?   awesome, for real

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #36839 on: October 22, 2017, 09:37:22 PM

keep both?

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #36840 on: October 23, 2017, 05:27:58 AM

You have enough kids that both grills are probably required. Think about it, they'll all be dating and having boyfriends soon. That's a lot of meat to cook.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #36841 on: October 23, 2017, 05:47:59 AM

You have enough kids that both grills are probably required. Think about it, they'll all be dating and having boyfriends soon. That's a lot of bodies to dispose of.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #36842 on: October 23, 2017, 06:03:31 AM

How do I explain to my wife that I want to keep my grill and not the multi hundred one I just bought?   awesome, for real

The obvious solution is to not explain anything and feign ignorance if she mentions it.  Women love that.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #36843 on: October 23, 2017, 07:13:32 AM

I go with overexplaining it until she gets overwhelmed and just moves on to something else to change the subject.
Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #36844 on: October 23, 2017, 07:21:10 AM

Put the new grill cover on the old grill and hope for the best.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #36845 on: October 23, 2017, 10:13:24 AM

I go with overexplaining it until she gets overwhelmed and just moves on to something else to change the subject.
+1
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #36846 on: October 23, 2017, 10:43:20 AM

You have enough kids that both grills are probably required. Think about it, they'll all be dating and having boyfriends soon. That's a lot of bodies to dispose of.

Never oversell the joke!

schild
Administrator

Reply #36847 on: October 23, 2017, 11:29:55 AM

Ordered a print directly from an artist as the original was sold out by the time we saw it ( only print that exists so yay). Anyway, FedEx fucked up and also delivered a 6ft by 6ft original. The original was meant for a guy in Panama that moved there from Russia. It is of his son.

I am now in possession of almost assuredly a Russian drug smugglers $16,000+ painting of his child. A painting that likely never would've seen the light of day from a popular artist.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #36848 on: October 23, 2017, 11:45:56 AM

rip dude
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #36849 on: October 23, 2017, 11:46:39 AM

Ah I'm not the only one who thought it, then.

Thanks for letting us know why you 'disappeared' in advance, Schild.

schild
Administrator

Reply #36850 on: October 23, 2017, 11:47:55 AM

Yw

Obviously I'm taking it back to FedEx tomorrow. I don't want a picture of someone else's kid. It's a beautiful painting though.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #36851 on: October 23, 2017, 01:54:39 PM

Well that answer my next question of if it was the original from which the print you  bought was made...wondering if it was for your gallery of Russian drug lord progeny or something. I don't judge though.

In sort of related news, I'm taking on my first portrait commission, for an officer in Afghanistan. Which is kind of like a Russian drug lord, maybe.
schild
Administrator

Reply #36852 on: October 23, 2017, 04:10:48 PM

If I was sent the original for the print I bought, no one would ever fucking know. I'd hang it up and that would be that.
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #36853 on: October 23, 2017, 06:13:16 PM

Who knew that artists generally suck at logistics?   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #36854 on: October 24, 2017, 05:03:55 AM

Update because I can:

First full month with the STBEx totally out of the house has been interesting. Even though I have a 13 year-old-boy living here the house has been relatively clean, dishes remain washed, & laundry doesn't take more than 3-4 loads to complete on a weekly basis; INCLUDING sheets and towels.  Add on that as I'm paying bills I think I have money left over, even after paying the agreed-upon spousal support.

I now find myself wondering how the fuck I didn't realize the pit I was living in for the last 19 years. The therapist suggested it was a boiled-frog scenario. I suppose that's possible, but goddamn.

Pages: 1 ... 1051 1052 [1053] 1054 1055 ... 1141 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless Conversation  
Jump to: