Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 11:20:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless Conversation 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 1049 1050 [1051] 1052 1053 ... 1141 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Useless Conversation  (Read 3426307 times)
WayAbvPar

Reply #36750 on: September 29, 2017, 01:15:00 PM

My 12 year old mused tonight at dinner about what the "relative political demographics" (his words) would be if the North and South separated.

I think we might talk about politics too much around him. Ohhhhh, I see.

Is "backward ass sister fucking shitlord" a political demographic?

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #36751 on: September 29, 2017, 01:19:59 PM

My 12 year old mused tonight at dinner about what the "relative political demographics" (his words) would be if the North and South separated.

It's usually abbreviated "Red Stater"
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #36752 on: October 05, 2017, 05:08:32 PM

The Ex moved out of my house and to AZ last week.. She continues to text me and say how little money she has as if this is my problem. I feel like a bad person for taking a bit of enjoyment in this as I ignore the obvious pleas for me to rescue her.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #36753 on: October 05, 2017, 05:28:46 PM

The Ex moved out of my house and to AZ last week.. She continues to text me and say how little money she has as if this is my problem. I feel like a bad person for taking a bit of enjoyment in this as I ignore the obvious pleas for me to rescue her.

My mom still gets long rambling oh-poor-me phone calls from my ex-stepdad (who is currently living in another state, thank God) after more than ten years, and is constantly worried that he'll show up on her doorstep one day and she won't know how to get rid of him.

He reached a sufficient level of desperation a couple of years ago to call me (having made no secret over the years of how much he hates my guts) to see if I wanted to have him come move in with me for a while, "just for a few months" while he found a new job and his own place in SF (read: he wanted to use my basement as a permanent base of operations from which to stalk my mom and/or run some sort of illegal business).

Anyway, be very careful to keep her at arm's length and anticipate any crazy shit she might potentially do that will make your life difficult. 

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
schild
Administrator

Reply #36754 on: October 05, 2017, 08:14:58 PM

Block her number.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #36755 on: October 05, 2017, 08:57:49 PM

Can’t do that when kids are involved. I also don’t have to respond, however.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #36756 on: October 05, 2017, 09:59:13 PM

I've been under the false impression there were no kids involved.  Dang.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
schild
Administrator

Reply #36757 on: October 05, 2017, 10:27:51 PM

Also did not realize there are kids.

Get a pager. Tell her its your new number and tell her to only text you.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #36758 on: October 06, 2017, 01:20:25 AM

Better yet, get a pager and pretend you're an 80's man.

Fax some shit while you're at it.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #36759 on: October 06, 2017, 05:40:34 AM

Can’t do that when kids are involved. I also don’t have to respond, however.
My ex and her many money woes this last decade constantly get sent my way. Because of kids I listen but mostly I just shake my head at how bad someone can make a situation sometimes. Don't respond and sure as hell don't bail her out!
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #36760 on: October 06, 2017, 06:18:57 AM

My experience is that people don't change financial habits. It's unfortunate, but most people learn their financial habits early from their parents and for good or bad they are that way from college to the grave.

Which means if you're dealing with people who constantly have to get bailed out only to get into trouble again? That's never changing. They were likely bailed out by their parents numerous times, and are now going to coast through life thinking that's how the world is going to work.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
schild
Administrator

Reply #36761 on: October 06, 2017, 06:20:07 AM

My experience is that people don't change financial habits. It's unfortunate, but most people learn their financial habits early from their parents and for good or bad they are that way from college to the grave.

Which means if you're dealing with people who constantly have to get bailed out only to get into trouble again? That's never changing. They were likely bailed out by their parents numerous times, and are now going to coast through life thinking that's how the world is going to work.
Go into enough credit debt when you're a teenager and you'll change your financial habits assuming you aren't a barely sentient blob. Boy, that was a harsh lesson.

Edit: Constant bailouts not withstanding of course. That's a history of not having to learn lessons.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #36762 on: October 06, 2017, 06:33:06 AM

People do learn lessons, no doubt. I'm just saying that after about 25, you're pretty set in what you understand about financial matters and how you approach them, for better or worse. Turning it around later in adulthood gets harder and harder.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #36763 on: October 06, 2017, 06:34:29 AM

Better yet, get a pager and pretend you're an 80's man.

Fax some shit while you're at it.

Fax is the tech that won't die. We have queues daily for our fax copier and have a lot of pressure to add a second fax line.

The copier which can scan to email to send straight scans of documents. I'd love to ditch the fax line, but so many companies (and really, the bulk of it is governmental) still /require/ fax. It's like hearing 'please send us a 5 1/4" floppy with your documents via pony express'.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #36764 on: October 06, 2017, 06:53:28 AM

Can deal with this IRS at all without a fax machine. As long as the government uses it we're all stuck with it.

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #36765 on: October 06, 2017, 07:05:14 AM

Go into enough credit debt when you're a teenager and you'll change your financial habits assuming you aren't a barely sentient blob. Boy, that was a harsh lesson.

Edit: Constant bailouts not withstanding of course. That's a history of not having to learn lessons.

Amen. Out of graduate school and in $10k+ credit card debt plus odd medical/dental bills and defaulted on all my student loans, I had a credit score about 480 and a shit job. I was ~35 at the time and made the decision to figure my shit out or end up homeless. First thing was paying off the credit card debt. Consolidated that and got a second job at a big box store to pay it off in 2 years. Was horrible, but manageable. Working two jobs is grueling most of the time.

Once I cleared up that CC mess... I consolidated my student loans and got on the income contingent plan - got a less shitty job and quit the parttime one. Got a CC approved by the bank I direct deposit into and put a limit of $1k on it and made sure to touch it only for things I could pay off in 2 months.  Been doing that faithfully for the past 6 years.The credit score got pulled for the car loan my wife and I applied for 2 weeks ago and I am now sitting at 848.

Like schild said... harsh lesson indeed.

It is doable... but you really have to completely adjust your spending and micromanage your budget.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #36766 on: October 06, 2017, 09:40:46 AM

My experience has taught me the same.

A relationship can work when one person is shitty with money but only if the other person is the money handler, and the shitty-with-money person is honest (doesn't lie or hide things). Otherwise, it will never work.

Merusk, you're not a bad person. Schadenfreude is to be enjoyed.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #36767 on: October 06, 2017, 11:05:30 PM

You should take him to Shreveport for a field trip.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #36768 on: October 07, 2017, 05:01:50 AM

So, I finally managed to to record this...after years of forgetting and missing the moment:

Zivilschutzprobealarm!

Edit: I sort of messed up with the location. As it showed the siren on the house opposite of me was not working/connected anymore, so you can only hear the ones farther away. Second video has below has better sound.

Weeeeeeeeooooooooooooeeeeeeeeeeeeeoooooooooooo
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 09:33:43 AM by calapine »

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #36769 on: October 07, 2017, 05:10:06 AM

And due to popular request

Here is the Early Warning signal - 3 Minutes of Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

WARNUNG!

I would be really sad if no one watches that, had to hurry to find a good spot!  Heartbreak Heartbreak  wink

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #36770 on: October 07, 2017, 09:34:01 AM

I watched it.  ALL of it.  And the other one, too.  I was riveted.   Grin

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #36771 on: October 07, 2017, 09:47:58 AM

And it was totally worth it, right?  Grin Not everyone has such exciting lives as we do! Love Letters Heart Heart

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #36772 on: October 07, 2017, 09:53:04 AM

Uhhhh, what are the warning about?

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #36773 on: October 07, 2017, 10:20:51 AM

Uhhhh, what are the warning about?

As you can see on the pictograms below it's about how close Trump is to a TV camera or Twitterstation.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 10:22:32 AM by calapine »

rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #36774 on: October 07, 2017, 04:01:47 PM

I just got told that the nuclear power plant disaster alert/alarm near here will be tested on Wednesday, 10 minutes of 67 alarms going off midday.
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #36775 on: October 07, 2017, 04:32:11 PM

I just got told that the nuclear power plant disaster alert/alarm near here will be tested on Wednesday, 10 minutes of 67 alarms going off midday.
We test those once a month where I work. It's... loud.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #36776 on: October 07, 2017, 04:56:05 PM

The one in my area is doing that test Tuesday.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #36777 on: October 08, 2017, 07:49:51 AM

Emergency sirens are tested on the first Wednesday of the month at 12 noon in Paris. Scared the shit out of us the first time we heard it.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #36778 on: October 08, 2017, 08:38:34 AM

Seoul's drills were done at night, and required a full blackout of the city.  They were serious about that too--you tried to leave a light on, and you'd have the wardens at your door plenty quick to enforce it

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #36779 on: October 08, 2017, 09:17:03 AM

Emergency sirens are tested on the first Wednesday of the month at 12 noon in Paris. Scared the shit out of us the first time we heard it.

First Tuesday, 10AM here for the tornado sirens. Siren is a block away from my office and at the same level vertically, shit be noisy as hell.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
schild
Administrator

Reply #36780 on: October 08, 2017, 10:46:04 AM

i have never heard any type of warning alarm in austin or phoenix
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #36781 on: October 09, 2017, 06:17:32 AM

First Tuesday, 10AM here for the tornado sirens. Siren is a block away from my office and at the same level vertically, shit be noisy as hell.

Yeah, all of Illinois is first Tuesday 10am club.  It'm not sure where the sirens are located around my office building, but I didn't even hear the test for October. 

rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #36782 on: October 09, 2017, 06:27:22 AM

Tornado sirens I'm used to, just never got to hear the nuke alarm tests. Even when I lived near a plant it was never put into operation, so no tests.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #36783 on: October 09, 2017, 06:48:00 AM

Tornado alarms at Noon the 1st Wednesday of every month in the SW Ohio/ NKY area of Cincinnati. It's always made me laugh because we get tornadoes so infrequently they also blow them for "Severe thunderstorms" to justify the expense of maintenance which means nobody takes them seriously.  

My experience has taught me the same.

A relationship can work when one person is shitty with money but only if the other person is the money handler, and the shitty-with-money person is honest (doesn't lie or hide things). Otherwise, it will never work.

Merusk, you're not a bad person. Schadenfreude is to be enjoyed.

Thanks, Xanth. I've been enjoying a number of very angry texts about how I'm spending my own money over this last weekend.  I gave her $3,200 of the eventual ~$12,000 I owe her so she could move out to AZ and all that money is already gone. I don't believe a U-haul and car carrier cost nearly that much so hearing her complain she can't pay her phone bill is somewhat amusing.

Yeah, Paelos. That, plus the dawning realization that Divorce didn't mean I was a failure were what made me finally run. I'd never known divorced people and divorced kids who weren't pure fuckups until the last 2 years, and it gave me some much needed perspective. I'd been - wrongly - sticking around to give the kids some sort of stable environment, even as shitty as it was.  Well, yeah, in hindsight that was dumb.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #36784 on: October 10, 2017, 01:29:34 PM

My company sprung for pizza for the office today, just because. GREAT. Unfortunately, it was Papa John's. It's been years since I've had Papa John's so maybe things have changed, but it was objectively terrible on every level, much worse than I ever remember it being. What the fuck are they using for sauce these days, paint thinner? Holy fuck. Just goddamn bad.

But at least it was free.  why so serious?

Pages: 1 ... 1049 1050 [1051] 1052 1053 ... 1141 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless Conversation  
Jump to: