Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:34:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless Conversation 0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 1048 1049 [1050] 1051 1052 ... 1141 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Useless Conversation  (Read 3400552 times)
BobtheSomething
Terracotta Army

Reply #36715 on: September 19, 2017, 07:56:23 PM

I officiated my sister in law's wedding for free, although she insisted on buying something for me.  LOTR dwarf minis.  Her aunt was the videographer, who somehow switched the camera off just before the ceremony.  The venue was one of those Mormon church basketball courts.  All in all, much cheaper than my own wedding.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #36716 on: September 20, 2017, 03:41:29 AM

The venue was one of those Mormon church basketball courts.
Wat. Are Mormon churches so known for their basketball courts that this is a ubiquitous thing I've just never heard of?

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #36717 on: September 20, 2017, 07:12:27 AM

(former nun, WWF promoter, and Juvenile Max Sec Prison Guard)

this person needs to join f13

i have questions

The closest I can get her to real internets is facebook. One of the best parts of doing the Colorado show is we get to have dinner with her every week, and hear crazy stories or her exploits. And see pictures like one of her from the 80's looking very punk and drunk, squooshed between Hulk Hogan and Iron Shiek.

And yeah, the license was from El Paso county Colorado, cheap and easy to get one there spur of the moment. You don't even need an officiate.
BobtheSomething
Terracotta Army

Reply #36718 on: September 20, 2017, 08:55:18 AM

Wat. Are Mormon churches so known for their basketball courts that this is a ubiquitous thing I've just never heard of?

Yes.  And most of the Mormon churches I've been in have the exact same internal layout, too.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #36719 on: September 20, 2017, 09:10:12 AM

I've photographed three weddings in the past where I actually charged for it. Only asked $500 - $700 because I know I'm not a whole lot better than a complete amateur and I was trying to get established. I'd already done a couple for free for friends and family, so I had some experience.

One of the three didn't pay me. Not because of the photo quality - we never even reached the point of them seeing the photos, they just couldn't afford to pay me. The other two clearly wanted to negotiate the price lower (average rate around here for wedding photos is $1500 - $2500).

I also did engagement photos for a couple once. Three days of shooting, a week of editing, and the Bride liked absolutely none of it. Fuck her, I still use several of them in my portfolio because they were damn good shots. In total for all of that, I got lunch and a beer.

Fuck Wedding Photography.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #36720 on: September 20, 2017, 04:47:05 PM

Yes.  And most of the Mormon churches I've been in have the exact same internal layout, too.

It's not really a "basketball court." It is a general meeting area, usually with a stage for shows and such, that is used for all sorts of things, including having retractable basketball hoops. Often times they are even carpeted (or at least were way back in the day) which led to some fun rug burns.  Wardball (as B-ball at these places is known) is some of the most vicious, elbow throwing, white-boy basketball on the planet.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
BobtheSomething
Terracotta Army

Reply #36721 on: September 20, 2017, 06:40:25 PM

It's not really a "basketball court." It is a general meeting area, usually with a stage for shows and such, that is used for all sorts of things, including having retractable basketball hoops. Often times they are even carpeted (or at least were way back in the day) which led to some fun rug burns.  Wardball (as B-ball at these places is known) is some of the most vicious, elbow throwing, white-boy basketball on the planet.

it was still a wedding under a board and net.   they really dominate the decor.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #36722 on: September 20, 2017, 10:19:49 PM

If it helps, I have been on the inside of a mormon church several times as a youth, and all I ever saw was the basketball court.  Is it possible that all this time, mormon churches really are just made up wholly out of basketball courts?

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #36723 on: September 20, 2017, 10:41:15 PM

Basketball courts and full immersion baptismal fonts pretty much.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
BobtheSomething
Terracotta Army

Reply #36724 on: September 20, 2017, 11:41:50 PM

Basketball courts and full immersion baptismal fonts pretty much.

When I was little, I thought the had a sauna between the restrooms.

Also, their locks are very easy to pick.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #36725 on: September 21, 2017, 09:54:19 PM

Just because we are on the topic, big day down at BYU today as they sold caffeinated soda on campus for the first time since the 50s.

-H.L. Mencken
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #36726 on: September 21, 2017, 10:00:22 PM

Just because we are on the topic, big day down at BYU today as they sold caffeinated soda on campus for the first time since the 50s.

Man Utah outside of Salt Lake is mega messed up.

(Not that Salt Lake isn't weird, but it is waaaaaay closer to normal than the rest of the state)

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #36727 on: September 21, 2017, 10:11:09 PM

Oh you have no idea.

-H.L. Mencken
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #36728 on: September 22, 2017, 12:16:32 PM

The thing with churches and basketball courts has to do with obtaining bank loans.  Reasoning is that if the church fails to make the loan, the bank can re-sell the church as a school or rec center.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #36729 on: September 22, 2017, 12:29:03 PM

TIL.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #36730 on: September 22, 2017, 12:37:25 PM

The thing with churches and basketball courts has to do with obtaining bank loans.  Reasoning is that if the church fails to make the loan, the bank can re-sell the church as a school or rec center.

LOL if you think the LDS church has to take out loans to build wardhouses.

-H.L. Mencken
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #36731 on: September 22, 2017, 12:59:19 PM

Hell, lets be honest, they probably make the local businesses apologize for giving them money.

Hic sunt dracones.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #36732 on: September 25, 2017, 12:50:44 PM

LOL if you think the LDS church has to take out loans to build wardhouses.

Sorry, I was talking about my experience with the local churches.  I got nothing for the LDS basketball thing.

Probably why you don't see Catholics holding mass in a basketball court, either.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #36733 on: September 25, 2017, 01:07:44 PM

Probably why you don't see Catholics holding mass in a basketball court, either.

We actually did that at my high school, since the school didn't have a church on premises big enough to hold the entire student body.   awesome, for real

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
WayAbvPar

Reply #36734 on: September 26, 2017, 10:11:48 PM

Went to Vegas Fri-Monday. Found the sign the encapsulates why it is such a fun place-

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #36735 on: September 27, 2017, 04:54:03 AM

I just learned iOS 11 does not actually turn-off Bluetooth or WiFi when you unclick the icons.. It just disconnects from the devices. You have to actually go into settings and turn them off in the sub-menus. However they then turn on again without prompting at a number of conditions. 5am? New time zone? Restart your phone? They're all on again!

Because "we don't consider them a significant drain."

Fuck your company, Surli. When my phone is at 86% by the time I hit work with them on but remains at 97-99% with them off, I'm pretty sure it's a drain. Not to mention the security risk and the goddamn nuisance of "HEY DO YOU WANT TO CONNECT TO ANY OF THESE UNKNOWN SECURE WIFI SPOTS?" popping-up every 20 seconds.

https://www.popsugar.com.au/news/iOS-11-Control-Center-WiFi-Bluetooth-Turn-Off-Fully-44068580

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #36736 on: September 27, 2017, 05:21:30 AM

The battery life thing doesn't bother me as much as the security aspect. There are a number of security exploits around bluetooth beacons etc.

Also don't have it auto-connect to any wi-fi networks except ones you specifically tell it to remember (I have had mine setup that way for years).

They don't want people to turn off bluetooth especially since the whole ibeacon shit is central to their advertising business.

I would guess that they will do something to make it function more like before in the not too distant future.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #36737 on: September 27, 2017, 05:40:14 AM

My bitch about Wi-Fi is much less about security than popping up the "HEY DO YOU WANT TO CONNECT" window in the middle of my browsing or texting. I dismiss it then 20-30 seconds later there's another "HEY DO YOU WANT TO CONNECT"

Oh, duh, you mean you turn off "Ask to join networks"  Yeah, I guess I'll have to now.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 05:44:50 AM by Merusk »

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #36738 on: September 27, 2017, 05:54:37 AM

Can you make an IFTTT recipe that turns them off properly as soon as you leave a known Wifi network?

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #36739 on: September 27, 2017, 06:22:39 AM

If we're going to do the usefully cynical thing for Shirley Bob, I'll chip in with:

Put in a file browser.

Seriously. We put in the ability to print via our print management via mobile a couple years ago and the single worst device is ios. Because the best route to print is uploading your file to the portal, but unlike Android, you can't just navigate the file system to upload the file.

I get dumbing down devices for dummies, but at least the full-weight version of your OS allows adults to use computers properly, underneath the glossy veneer for grandma.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #36740 on: September 27, 2017, 06:52:34 AM

If we're going to do the usefully cynical thing for Shirley Bob, I'll chip in with:

Put in a file browser.

Seriously. We put in the ability to print via our print management via mobile a couple years ago and the single worst device is ios. Because the best route to print is uploading your file to the portal, but unlike Android, you can't just navigate the file system to upload the file.

I get dumbing down devices for dummies, but at least the full-weight version of your OS allows adults to use computers properly, underneath the glossy veneer for grandma.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/09/ios-11-thoroughly-reviewed/8/

The Files app is iOS’ first-ever attempt at an actual unified file manager.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #36741 on: September 27, 2017, 07:31:04 AM

Interesting to see how that works .. the iOS app architecture doesn't really support the concept of a file browser very well.

If only I could get true iMessaging on Android, I'd switch in a heartbeat.

- Viin
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #36742 on: September 27, 2017, 07:39:50 AM

It's something...but still very underwhelming at this point. Hopefully we get a few newer phones through at some point so I can see how it works with our vendor's stuff.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #36743 on: September 28, 2017, 07:58:06 PM

Her: I can't pack my bag for the weekend tonight.
Me: No problem. I won't pack either then.
[sun sets, sun rises]
Her: I'm packed for the weekend. Are you ready?
Me: Er, you said you wouldn't pack, so I didn't.
Her: I was worried that you wouldn't have time.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #36744 on: September 28, 2017, 08:10:51 PM

So... you're new to being around women?   why so serious?

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #36745 on: September 28, 2017, 08:44:04 PM

My 12 year old mused tonight at dinner about what the "relative political demographics" (his words) would be if the North and South separated.

I think we might talk about politics too much around him. Ohhhhh, I see.

-H.L. Mencken
schild
Administrator

Reply #36746 on: September 28, 2017, 09:51:26 PM

My 12 year old mused tonight at dinner about what the "relative political demographics" (his words) would be if the North and South separated.

Did you inform him Utah would probably join the south?
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #36747 on: September 28, 2017, 10:14:39 PM

Nah, Utah would make another go at becoming their own country again.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #36748 on: September 28, 2017, 10:36:09 PM

So... you're new to being around women?   why so serious?

She's my wife. Next will be "I didn't bring any scissors" and I will save the day with the swiss army knife that I always keep in my toiletries bag, which I will have packed in 10 minutes after work tonight. But it will not be clean enough. I know the drill.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #36749 on: September 29, 2017, 04:40:31 AM

Aww. Heart You should get him his own F13 account, including custom grief title.

Babygadro! Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 04:43:29 AM by calapine »

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Pages: 1 ... 1048 1049 [1050] 1051 1052 ... 1141 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless Conversation  
Jump to: